gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:42:20 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Saddest Song  (Read 14069 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2015, 10:58:03 AM »

She's Goin' Bald = follicly sad
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2015, 11:03:35 AM »

Brilliant   LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2015, 11:05:07 AM »

Moonshine captures the pain and sorrow of heartache about as well as any song i can think of.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2015, 11:13:49 AM »

Moonshine captures the pain and sorrow of heartache about as well as any song i can think of.

Great call

“We live in divisive times.”
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2015, 11:18:27 AM »

When I feel sad for Al wasting his awesome vocal talents on a tune like PT Cruiser, does that count?  Grin
WonderfulLittlePad
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2015, 11:37:27 AM »

Till I Die
I Just Wasn't Made for these Times
From There to Back Again
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2015, 12:03:19 PM »

Summer's Gone.  It's the only song that gets me close to tears, especially hearing it live. 
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2015, 01:46:51 PM »

'Til I Die is just a great song. It has such an odd vibe to it. Sad, but in an odd almost unearthly type way. Not a normal sadness, but a spiritual type sadness. It's hard to explain.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2015, 03:48:04 PM »

don't know about sad, but it brings tears:    I Wish for You
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2015, 07:04:23 AM »

All you 'Til I Die voters you gotta be kidding - there's nothing sad about its melody/sound/lyrics whatsoever. The extended mix even less so. Ditto "...Life of a Tree". But LET'S hear Add Some, to my money he said it best:

'Summer's Gone'...not so much the actual performance [because generally the Beach Boys 'sound' puts a positive spin on almost anything] but rather for the thought of what it represents.

On subject, I agree with "Pacific Coast Highway". I used to think "Summer's Gone" is the saddest suite song, now it is. And also lately, I found "From There to Back Again" to be quite a downer. I mean there's still sth. positive, but those 1st lines, they kind of make me feel sad, musically.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2015, 11:14:28 AM »

All you 'Til I Die voters you gotta be kidding - there's nothing sad about its melody/sound/lyrics whatsoever. The extended mix even less so.

Lyrically the song is about being a speck of nothing in a world in which you have no control over.  To some that feeling of insignificance could be inconsequential, to others it's truly sad....there's nothing wrong with either perception.

As for the overall mood of the melody and instrumentals, the Desper mix does a perfect job of creating an atmosphere of void. Each note played on the vibraphone rings out beautifully then vanishes into emptiness (which could be construed as sad - depends on the listener).

Woodstock mentioned earlier that the outro sounds more like a mantra, the narrator comes to grips with the reality of life and finds peace. The melody/chord progression in this section sounds very uplifting, so one could definitely argue that the song's coda is meant to be uplifting. But this is Brian Wilson we're talking about here - his music sometimes never reflects the nature of the lyrics....thus allowing varied interpretations for each listener to choose from (which is part of the brilliance of Brian's songwriting). There is no right or wrong answer, it just depends on the listener.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2015, 02:22:47 PM »

All you 'Til I Die voters you gotta be kidding - there's nothing sad about its melody/sound/lyrics whatsoever. The extended mix even less so.

Lyrically the song is about being a speck of nothing in a world in which you have no control over.  To some that feeling of insignificance could be inconsequential, to others it's truly sad....there's nothing wrong with either perception.

As for the overall mood of the melody and instrumentals, the Desper mix does a perfect job of creating an atmosphere of void. Each note played on the vibraphone rings out beautifully then vanishes into emptiness (which could be construed as sad - depends on the listener).

Woodstock mentioned earlier that the outro sounds more like a mantra, the narrator comes to grips with the reality of life and finds peace. The melody/chord progression in this section sounds very uplifting, so one could definitely argue that the song's coda is meant to be uplifting. But this is Brian Wilson we're talking about here - his music sometimes never reflects the nature of the lyrics....thus allowing varied interpretations for each listener to choose from (which is part of the brilliance of Brian's songwriting). There is no right or wrong answer, it just depends on the listener.

You explained it better than I did. That's certainly how I feel when I listen to it.  It's a damn good song. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2015, 10:36:45 PM »

There is no right or wrong answer, it just depends on the listener.
Good. Coz I stand by what I said. Extended mix is gentle, mild, anything similar, but nope, I don't hear 'sad' stamped all over it.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2015, 11:42:38 PM »

Not kidding at all, and the extended mix is even sadder, rab's description is very good. If you don't hear how desperate and sad it is - don't worry, that doesn't matter, but don't think your position is more valid than ours.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2015, 11:51:53 PM »

Don't worry, I don't worry about my hearing.

don't think your position is more valid than ours.
Where you folks get this stuff? (rhetorical question) See what happens when you forget to add "imo" to your post.

halblaineisgood
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2015, 11:56:17 PM »

don't think your position is more valid than ours.
Don't tell people you think what you think about what people can think, bro. Just not cool, imo.  police
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2015, 01:39:54 AM »

Let me rephrase: My advice to you is not to think your position / opinion is more valid than those of others. This is not an order. This is an advice.

Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2015, 02:28:30 AM »

Let me rephrase: My advice to you is not to think your position / opinion is more valid than those of others. This is not an order. This is an advice.

She voiced her opinion like anyone else. Just because she didn't add "IMO" doesn't mean her opinion is above anyone else's. How many times on a forum does someone need to take the moral high ground and tell other people they don't speak for everyone. Obviously it's just her opinion...that's why she said it.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2015, 05:39:07 AM »

There is no right or wrong answer, it just depends on the listener.
Good. Coz I stand by what I said. Extended mix is gentle, mild, anything similar, but nope, I don't hear 'sad' stamped all over it.

I wasn't trying to change your opinion, rather I was trying to help you understand the perspective of other members here...because, yes, implying that other members' opinions are a joke does make it seem like you think your opinion is more valid than others.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2015, 06:01:34 AM »

implying that other members' opinions are a joke does make it seem like you think your opinion is more valid than others.

You said it better than I did.

halblaineisgood
« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2015, 10:31:56 PM »

Til I die is not sad. How can one of BW's most perfect songs make you sad. Ridiculous.  Inconceivable.

It's not very romantic. I'll give you that.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 10:41:46 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2015, 10:37:59 PM »

Doublepost.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 12:50:54 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2015, 12:13:00 AM »

2Micha 'n' rab: I know that opinions vary, I was kind of taken aback by your assertion of "'Til I Die=sad song". I couldn't disagree more, so it turned hyperbolic. Y'know, the common thing for hypehat or Erik H, to name a few. It's just a form of expression. It's not about competition 'mine opinion is valid over others'. *You* said that, not me.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2015, 02:36:38 AM »

I think "The Ballad of Ole' Betsy" (curious punctuation aside) deserves a mention. Poor Betsy's ready for the scrapyard... it can't get much sadder than that.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Magic City Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2015, 05:53:52 AM »

Summer's Gone
Til I Die
Caroline, No

Sail through the sorrows of life's marauders.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx