gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680747 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 01:03:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love: Q&A request  (Read 21487 times)
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2015, 07:04:29 PM »

A Mike Q&A would be fun. If it happens, hopefully we won't get questions about his pizza preferences or his favorite flavor of ice cream.

Even if we did, I strongly suspect Mike would have little interest in answering them. Or at least would answer the big stuff too.

Personally, I want to hear about Smiley Smile. I'd like to hear Mike's interpretation of it in particular.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2015, 07:10:46 PM »

I think Mike's answers would be way more complete and well done.

Brian's QAs are nice but we all know it's almost a waste to ask any question that would require a thought out answer.

Typical good question:  "Brian, what are your memories from the Wild Honey sessions?"

Answer: "Great songs. Carl sings 'Wild Honey' great!"

Mike's Answer:  "We decided to go with an R&B record in BB style.  We recorded out of Brian's house and I can remember having such a good time on 'A Thing or Two'. . ."

Exactly. Brian is my favorite musician, a beautiful soul, and one of my personal idols. But he's also a lousy interview, and I'm sure he doesn't enjoy it either, so I feel like it's kind of a waste.

I'm sure Mike would love to set the record straight on a lot of things anyway. This would be a win-win.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 07:46:12 PM by The LEGENDARY OSD » Logged

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2015, 08:04:23 PM »

Brian's QAs are nice but we all know it's almost a waste to ask any question that would require a thought out answer.

Typical good question:  "Brian, what are your memories from the Wild Honey sessions?"

Mike's Answer:  "We decided to go with an R&B record in BB style.  We recorded out of Brian's house and I can remember having such a good time on 'A Thing or Two'. . ."

Exactly. Brian is my favorite musician, a beautiful soul, and one of my personal idols. But he's also a lousy interview, and I'm sure he doesn't enjoy it either, so I feel like it's kind of a waste.

I'm sure Mike would love to set the record straight on a lot of things anyway. This would be a win-win.
Mike would set the record straight?? Really? Only by seeing that his responses were tailored to portray himself as the most accomplished member who was far more essential to the group than Brian Wilson.  Transcendental Meditation

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2015, 08:17:59 PM »

Typical good question:  "Brian, what are your memories from the Wild Honey sessions?"

Mike's Answer:  "We decided to go with an R&B record in BB style.  We recorded out of Brian's house and I can remember having such a good time on 'A Thing or Two'. . ."

Mike would set the record straight?? Really? Only by seeing that his responses were tailored to portray himself as the most accomplished member who was far more essential to the group than Brian Wilson.  Transcendental Meditation

I mean according to his point of view. Either way, he'd give more insightful, interesting answers than Brian.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
[
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2015, 08:40:44 PM »

I mean according to his point of view. Either way, he'd give more insightful, interesting answers than Brian.

Really? Have you ever read an interview with the guy? He repeats the same couple of talking points every time.

monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2015, 08:57:31 PM »

This would be great, undoubtedly more interesting and fulfilling than a Brian Q&A, which is a joke. A Q&A on here with Mike would be an amazing, rare opportunity to throw questions at him that no one else would except for the occasional one on one meeting backstage with a particular kind of fan. It's such a waste that his interviews only ever touch on '61-'67, the hits, the Wilsons' drug problems, Kokomo, and the touring band. We could ask him about All I Wanna Do, Big Sur, All This Is That, Smiley Smile, Wild Honey, Love You, dumpster diving dinner parties with the Manson family (he talked about it on Howard Stern), Uncle Murry, his bass vocals, his sax, visions of being in a room with Cousin Brian, SUMMER IN PARADISE, WRINKLES. And you know his answers would be good and candid. I think his memory is pretty solid, too.

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2015, 09:13:01 PM »

You know what sucks guy? That we have nobody on this board who could probably arrange this with Mike.

Oh wait....

We do. Andrew G. Doe, would you mind throwing a request Mike's way? I know he's got a book that's coming out next year (?) but I figure we would probably ask quite a few questions that wouldn't be covered in there. I think it would be very interesting. Hopefully he'd be willing to stay a bit longer then Brian was, and maybe take on some tougher (but not necessarily meaner) questions then Brian did.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2015, 09:54:39 PM »

Typical good question:  "Brian, what are your memories from the Wild Honey sessions?"

Mike's Answer:  "We decided to go with an R&B record in BB style.  We recorded out of Brian's house and I can remember having such a good time on 'A Thing or Two'. . ."

Mike would set the record straight?? Really? Only by seeing that his responses were tailored to portray himself as the most accomplished member who was far more essential to the group than Brian Wilson.  Transcendental Meditation

Really? Have you ever read an interview with the guy? He repeats the same couple of talking points every time.

Yes. Brian did drugs and he didn't. He wrote the lyrics to all the hits. He wrote Kokomo and Brian didn't. I know.

Maybe with actual fans, asking directed questions about stuff interviewers almost never actually bring up, he'd give better answers? It's worth a shot.

I'm not usually one to think this way, but the double standard between Mike and Brian is really showing right now. So, Brian's Q&A where he answers each Q with a sentence fragment, and mostly answers softball questions, is treated as the second coming. Anyone not 100% enthusiastic about it is an ungrateful jerk for not appreciating the "wonderful gift*" but asking Mike to come is out of the question because he might bring up a few talking points? C'mon. We could at least try it. Give him a chance. I'm not the biggest Mike fan, but I'd like to hear what he'd have to say.

*I love Brian, I appreciate the work the mods did for it. I understand he doesn't like answering tough questions and is a busy man. I still thought it was kinda of a wasted opportunity. Sorry.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 09:58:13 PM by Mujan, B@st@rd Son of a Blue Wizard » Logged

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
Vernon Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't fight the sea

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2015, 10:14:38 PM »

I would like to have Mike on the board. I think that he would answer the questions with candor. I have never met the man. I cannot form an opinion of him. Some of you have met him. Those that have seem to have differing opinions. I would like us to put our opinions aside and invite the man to answer our questions.
I think that we should invite them all but seperately.
Zeppo

Make waves, not love
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2015, 10:27:57 PM »

How about starting by trying to make this board what some have been complaining it was not? It's fine to disagree, to voice opinions, to say what you liked or didn't like about something, but at least try to do it with some level of respect and tact! Seriously, in the past months we had people saying they didn't like the tone of negativity that was associated with the board, the impression others were getting by the actions and words of a few posters versus the majority, and now the board is hit with the kind of mean and totally unnecessary comments as have been made here and in other threads about what happened this week? What is the deal with some of you?

Look, if you didn't like or care to participate in this or any recent or future event, at least show some class and respect in voicing those opinions. The only joke is the inability of some to think before they post, and to think about the effect some words can have on not just other people, but on the board in general.

A lot is tolerated on this board, maybe too much in the name of an open forum. But when reactions and posts aren't just bordering on disrespectful but go straight for the jugular, what possible good do you who are posting this stuff think will come as a result?

Do we want the community here in general to have an image or reputation based on a few comments posted by a small number of individuals who haven't stopped posting negativity for a week solid? The majority of members here post occasionally, a lot of people come here to read and choose not to post, and this week the board saw its biggest viewership *ever* on Monday for the first live event to be featured here. Now it's funny or even essential for some to start posting insults?

The majority does not agree, the majority does not choose to voice opinions that way, and the majority thought what happened this week was a pretty cool thing. The people who did a lot of work to make it happen and put a lot of effort into making it happen *for the board* don't deserve this kind of crap to be hurled at them. Even if it's not intended as such, when something that has a lot of effort, energy, and care put into it gets called a joke, it's not only unnecessary but it's also showing no class or respect at all for everyone who enjoyed the moment. Take me out of it, consider all of the work that was done to set it up last weekend, and none of those people who did this *for you* deserve to read that in return for their efforts.

At some point some sense of tact has to be considered, if that can be considered. If you weren't into it, if you didn't like it, that's fine. Maybe consider voicing that opinion in a less hostile or mean way, or simply not repeating how much something sucked ad nauseum for everyone to read the negativity.

This does NOT speak for the majority of people here, nor does it represent what this board is all about. We want a board that is welcoming, friendly, less hostile, thought of better...etc. We hear complaints in another thread about how things are said and how people are treated, at the same time we see comments posted here and in a few other topics that suggest more than hypocrisy. Start with your own choices, consider how words do have weight and may have implications beyond feeling like you've successfully shared your anger or bitterness with everyone.

This is not what the board is, it is not what the people are about, it is not the correct impression to be sending out if there is any concern at all for this place and the people who enjoy coming here.

You want other guests to drop in? Perhaps more Beach Boys themselves to stop in and chat? Start by helping to make it a welcome place, a place where disagreements can be made respectfully and not brought down into the mud. Make it a place where Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce, David, and whomever else would feel welcome and would feel like it would be a fun thing to do. The saddest part...the board *is* that overall respectful and grateful and welcoming place thanks to the majority of people who are members. It's a shame that the way the small minority of a few conduct themselves and choose to express themselves might get misinterpreted as the way things are. And that is simply not true, as can be proven by most of the people we consider friends and fellow fans. At least show some respect for them, too, even if you don't like something or whatever other gripes may be involved.

If we want good things to happen and continue happening for everyone here to enjoy and experience, consider all of that before posting the insults and swipes. And consider even if you're not grateful, if you're not overjoyed, if you're not sharing in a positive moment...respect those who are. That's how good things happen and will continue to happen.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 10:28:59 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Vernon Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't fight the sea

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2015, 10:47:19 PM »

Well stated.
Z

Make waves, not love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2015, 10:51:08 PM »

I'm sorry guitarfool. I know I've been kind of a downer lately. I hope I'm not one of the posters you're referring to, but I think I probably am. I was never trying to make you or the other mods feel bad about the Q&A. I appreciate that a lot of work went into it on your end, and you guys do seem like, well...good guys, for lack of a better word. I just can't help but express my opinions honestly, and perhaps repetitively. It's just my style, and sometimes I realize after the fact I went too far. I hope I didn't make you guys feel bad, I just can't help but feel like Q&As with Brian...well, maybe they're just not his strong suite. He doesn't seem to like to answer "interesting" questions. I guess taken as a lighthearted conversation it's a fun thing. It's probably my fault for expecting that at least one "heavy" question get answered.

In any event, I think everyone appreciated what you guys did to make it happen even if they were maybe not 100% satisfied with the results. And I think a Q&A with a more talkative Beach Boy would be even better received.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2015, 11:24:15 PM »

a Brian Q&A, which is a joke.

I disagree.

A Q&A on here with Mike would be an amazing, rare opportunity to throw questions at him that no one else would except for the occasional one on one meeting backstage with a particular kind of fan. It's such a waste that his interviews only ever touch on '61-'67, the hits, the Wilsons' drug problems, Kokomo, and the touring band. We could ask him about All I Wanna Do, Big Sur, All This Is That, Smiley Smile, Wild Honey, Love You, dumpster diving dinner parties with the Manson family (he talked about it on Howard Stern), Uncle Murry, his bass vocals, his sax, visions of being in a room with Cousin Brian, SUMMER IN PARADISE, WRINKLES.

I absolutely agree! Smiley

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2015, 04:07:24 AM »

Well said, Guitarfool, well said.  There was a time when this board was more civil.  Sure, there were disagreements (:cough: Cam and Dan Lega), but it wasn't just sh*t slinging.  I'm an old guy.  I was brought up to treat people with respect, and if there was someone who you just couldn't get along with, just steer clear of them.  It seems the attitude now is "if you can't handle a few words on the internet, maybe you shouldn't be on the internet".  That's really a terrible way to live your life...hostility and confrontation.  That's probably why I only post a couple times a month.  As has been said a gazillion times, please think about the feelings of the people who are reading your words.  I shouldn't have been made to feel that I had to defend my question for Brian simply because he chose to answer that instead of the 'deeper', more 'profound' questions.  Bah.  Enough old man rant.  It ain't gonna change the way people behave in a medium such as the internet, where you don't have to look a guy in the eyes when you say something to him.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 04:49:18 AM by LostArt » Logged
Watch a Cave
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2015, 04:28:45 AM »

I think it would be great to have Mike here!  Seriously it would probably be very informative.. as long as there are no inflammatory questions.

I would like to get his thoughts on the vocal blend in the mid 70s and whether or not he was dismayed by the changes in Brian's and Dennis' singing voices.
dcowboys107
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2015, 06:35:13 AM »

I'm one of the posters who enjoys reading more than posting since I learn something new/interesting every day.

Anyways, I very much appreciate Brian's having come and of course admire him.

With that being said, I think it's still fair to say that his answering style is not receptive to particular questions so you must tailor appropriately.

I have a feeling that Mike would be a bit more chatty and willing to get into interesting details he never gets asked in normal interviews.

N.B. I've always had the feeling that Mike couldn't care less about "setting the record straight."  I have a feeling that infinite fame, a string of #1s, and a bank account to boot really overshadows his need. I bet he'd really enjoy talking and would take a lot of it in stride and have fun with it.
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2015, 06:44:34 AM »

Great idea to publicly sh*t all over the guy if you want him to come in and answer some questions.  Brilliant.

I for one would love to read a Q&A with him.  And yes, his answers would definitely be more compelling than Brian's, no matter the perspective.
clinikillz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2015, 07:05:26 AM »

There are ways to ask a challenging question without sounding like a jerk.  Even if we question some of his choices in the past, that doesn't mean we're trying to defame him.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 01:12:48 PM by clinikillz » Logged
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2015, 10:05:08 AM »

Great idea to publicly sh*t all over the guy if you want him to come in and answer some questions.  Brilliant.

I for one would love to read a Q&A with him.  And yes, his answers would definitely be more compelling than Brian's, no matter the perspective.

Who said anything about publically sh!tting on him? I just want his honest recollection of making Smiley, and how he feels about it today, and if he felt it was the right move for the time. Im sure I could think of other things to ask too.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2015, 10:38:05 AM »

Who said anything about publically sh!tting on him? I just want his honest recollection of making Smiley, and how he feels about it today, and if he felt it was the right move for the time. Im sure I could think of other things to ask too.
That interests me too. Because if he wasn't thrilled with Smile (as we have been led to believe), I'd love to know his views on Smiley Smile.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2015, 11:14:58 AM »

That interests me too. Because if he wasn't thrilled with Smile (as we have been led to believe), I'd love to know his views on Smiley Smile.

The whole year of 1967 is pretty murky in terms of information regarding the band. I'd love to know why Brian switched gears so dramatically from SMiLE to singles in the beginning of the year. Why VDP came back, if it was an awkward situation, and if he contributed any more at all before leaving yet again. How rocky or smooth the transition from SMiLE to Smiley really was. If they had fun making it, if Brian was in good spirits or crestfallen during those sessions, if the band liked it or thought they were making a mistake at the time and how much if any resistance they had to this second new direction. Why Gettin Hungry is credited to Brian + Mike. If they knew then how bad they screwed up by turning down Monterey. If there was still hopes of returning to work on some of the SMiLE songs at the time. If Mike knows anything about Cant Wait Too Long...

We need to know this stuff. It was the pivotal turning point for the band, but it gets so overshadowed by SMiLE itself and all the mysteries associated with that, that nobody talks about Smiley and what was going on post-May.

If a Mike Q&A were to be limited to one question/topic per person, I'd also appreciate it if someone asked what he thinks of SIP nowadays. Not in a nasty, defeating way, just honestly. And what the plan for the follow-up, "Masterpiece" was.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
dcowboys107
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2015, 11:24:36 AM »

The whole year of 1967 is pretty murky in terms of information regarding the band. I'd love to know why Brian switched gears so dramatically from SMiLE to singles in the beginning of the year. Why VDP came back, if it was an awkward situation, and if he contributed any more at all before leaving yet again. How rocky or smooth the transition from SMiLE to Smiley really was. If they had fun making it, if Brian was in good spirits or crestfallen during those sessions, if the band liked it or thought they were making a mistake at the time and how much if any resistance they had to this second new direction. Why Gettin Hungry is credited to Brian + Mike. If they knew then how bad they screwed up by turning down Monterey. If there was still hopes of returning to work on some of the SMiLE songs at the time. If Mike knows anything about Cant Wait Too Long...

We need to know this stuff. It was the pivotal turning point for the band, but it gets so overshadowed by SMiLE itself and all the mysteries associated with that, that nobody talks about Smiley and what was going on post-May.

If a Mike Q&A were to be limited to one question/topic per person, I'd also appreciate it if someone asked what he thinks of SIP nowadays. Not in a nasty, defeating way, just honestly. And what the plan for the follow-up, "Masterpiece" was.

Really well put.  1967 was kind of a letdown in some senses because of the SMiLE collapse, Monterrey, etc.  However, it ended up being quite productive with the Smiley Smile and Wild Honey releases being among some of their best works.

You'd kind of think that a major project's "collapse" (shelving) would lead to another Greatest Hits LP or Beach Boys Party (Again!!) type product to meet the quota.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2015, 12:40:39 PM »

Great idea to publicly sh*t all over the guy if you want him to come in and answer some questions.  Brilliant.

I for one would love to read a Q&A with him.  And yes, his answers would definitely be more compelling than Brian's, no matter the perspective.

Really well put.  1967 was kind of a letdown in some senses because of the SMiLE collapse, Monterrey, etc.  However, it ended up being quite productive with the Smiley Smile and Wild Honey releases being among some of their best works.

You'd kind of think that a major project's "collapse" (shelving) would lead to another Greatest Hits LP or Beach Boys Party (Again!!) type product to meet the quota.
Well, it kind of did. The Best of The Beach Boys Vol. 2 was released in 1967 in between Smiley Smile & Wild Honey.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 12:43:41 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2015, 12:42:51 PM »

Really well put.  1967 was kind of a letdown in some senses because of the SMiLE collapse, Monterrey, etc.  However, it ended up being quite productive with the Smiley Smile and Wild Honey releases being among some of their best works.

Well, it kind of did. The Best of The Beach Boys Vol. 2 was released in 1967.

That was all Capitol though, and not the group's desire.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2015, 12:44:29 PM »

Well, it kind of did. The Best of The Beach Boys Vol. 2 was released in 1967.

That was all Capitol though, and not the group's desire.
Who else would release a Greatest Hits Compilation?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,