-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:13:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  .
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: .  (Read 7964 times)
halblaineisgood
« on: January 27, 2015, 04:58:19 AM »

« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 11:41:04 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 05:09:45 AM »

We need RDZ back. He was not a good cat, he was a great cat.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 10:45:22 AM »

Runnerz … ? Wha'happen?

“We live in divisive times.”
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 11:15:13 AM »

Long story, but here's just one part of it...we banned a spam member the other day, not realizing it was runnerz with a second account. Already were considering action, though, when he quoted part of a PM as his signature.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 02:28:32 PM »

Reading RDZ's signature, it seems the previous one contained "offensive" words, and I don't remember reading anything of the sort. What kind of words did he use? EDIT: nevermind, found them by viewing a cached page of the board.

Anyway, RDZ is one of the funniest/best posters here. I hope he'll return soon.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 02:31:49 PM by SloopJohnB » Logged

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 02:37:05 PM »

You can ban him, but you'll never make him go to school.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 02:43:04 PM »

Ohh that's a shame, I laughed myself to tears to some of the dude's posts.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 03:21:11 PM »

« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 02:23:14 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 11:40:27 PM »

« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 02:24:19 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 08:50:06 AM »

Just a suggestion first: Please for the sake of anyone reading these threads do not make a punctuation mark the topic of the thread. It's very confusing, no one knows what the topic is or was, and there is really no reason for doing that.

This thread is as good as any to bring this up, I'm offering a question and some commentary in between.

This board has so much to offer, 99% of the direction of the board is in the hands of the membership itself. If something is not being discussed which you'd like to see discussed, it's as simple as starting a new topic. And there are enough sub-forums to accommodate and organize most topics that could be put on the table.

Can someone in this thread or outside the thread help me understand something which perhaps I'm just not getting, or not seeing beyond the surface.

In the middle of what was the biggest event the forum has been involved with recently, what possible motivation could there be to log in under an alias, with an account that has been dormant and totally inactive for some time, and using a screen name which no one knew? There was a chance to post a question to an actual Beach Boy...you know, the guys we talk about on a daily basis...and that opportunity is less important than assuming a new identity on the board and posting to that thread something other than a real question?

Again, I'm just looking for some explanation here. If it comes off a certain way, I apologize: I'm not trying to point a finger of blame at, nor challenging directly, anyone who is not here to defend themselves directly, but at the same time I'd like to hear the thoughts of the members in this thread who might know more than me. Maybe I just don't get the joke, or understand the motivation behind it.

I'm genuinely interested, and my apologies in advance if I've put too much personal opinion into this...but I just need some more info to help me understand the whole thing a little better.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 09:41:50 AM »

Just a suggestion first: Please for the sake of anyone reading these threads do not make a punctuation mark the topic of the thread. It's very confusing, no one knows what the topic is or was, and there is really no reason for doing that.

This thread is as good as any to bring this up, I'm offering a question and some commentary in between.

This board has so much to offer, 99% of the direction of the board is in the hands of the membership itself. If something is not being discussed which you'd like to see discussed, it's as simple as starting a new topic. And there are enough sub-forums to accommodate and organize most topics that could be put on the table.

Can someone in this thread or outside the thread help me understand something which perhaps I'm just not getting, or not seeing beyond the surface.

In the middle of what was the biggest event the forum has been involved with recently, what possible motivation could there be to log in under an alias, with an account that has been dormant and totally inactive for some time, and using a screen name which no one knew? There was a chance to post a question to an actual Beach Boy...you know, the guys we talk about on a daily basis...and that opportunity is less important than assuming a new identity on the board and posting to that thread something other than a real question?

Again, I'm just looking for some explanation here. If it comes off a certain way, I apologize: I'm not trying to point a finger of blame at, nor challenging directly, anyone who is not here to defend themselves directly, but at the same time I'd like to hear the thoughts of the members in this thread who might know more than me. Maybe I just don't get the joke, or understand the motivation behind it.

I'm genuinely interested, and my apologies in advance if I've put too much personal opinion into this...but I just need some more info to help me understand the whole thing a little better.

As I for one, never saw the post in question it makes it extremely difficult to comment on the motivation. I'm also wondering how anyone else, other than the poster in question would be able to comment as to same.

AS to naming threads with punctuation, I think it's even more ridiculous than making >period< comments.  If you have nothing other than that to add, just don't post
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 09:44:29 AM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 10:33:28 AM »

AS to naming threads with punctuation, I think it's even more ridiculous than making >period< comments.  If you have nothing other than that to add, just don't post

Halblaineisgood doesn't make ">period< comments" -- he makes comments that he then deletes at a later point. I, for one, am okay with it. The posts function as grim reminders that our assumptions about permanence, eternality, and timelessness are nothing but a bourgeois fantasy. Hence the use of a period -- the period represents a closure, an ending. With the period, halblaineisgood resists the more recent postmodern calls for porousness. While such calls suggest an open-endedness, and a space for audience participation, halblaineisgood's period foreclose these possibilities. Here, there is no agency for the audience. The period goes beyond the interpretable - the period is pure sign that signifies only itself. And yet not. Importantly, the posts are not deleted, but are, rather, replaced. The period does not simply stand in for itself but it is also a phantasm - an ongoing reminder of the post that once was. The period is both itself and the post about Brian's fluctuating weight in the 70s, for example. And yet the insurmountable fact remains that, for some, what halblaineisgood once said will always be an unknown - a set of words that evaporated before even being read by an audience (thereby rendering problematic the pervasive notion that readers attach meanings to texts) or, in the cases where one did read what he wrote, it is rare where one could replicate word-for-word precisely what he said. And even if you could, this repetition would only serve to reinforce just how distanced the copied text is from its origin - out of context, it would become an Other, itself a kind of phantom for what was. In this case, the period represents our failure to grasp anything objectivity - it reveals how our attempts to capture knowledge in its entirety is a futile effort, and our need to to always have mastery over what was once but can never be again, is derived from our ideological position of consumers, a position largely constructed for us. So I'm okay with it.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 10:34:38 AM by Chocolate Shake Man » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 11:10:30 AM »

AS to naming threads with punctuation, I think it's even more ridiculous than making >period< comments.  If you have nothing other than that to add, just don't post

Halblaineisgood doesn't make ">period< comments" -- he makes comments that he then deletes at a later point. I, for one, am okay with it. The posts function as grim reminders that our assumptions about permanence, eternality, and timelessness are nothing but a bourgeois fantasy. Hence the use of a period -- the period represents a closure, an ending. With the period, halblaineisgood resists the more recent postmodern calls for porousness. While such calls suggest an open-endedness, and a space for audience participation, halblaineisgood's period foreclose these possibilities. Here, there is no agency for the audience. The period goes beyond the interpretable - the period is pure sign that signifies only itself. And yet not. Importantly, the posts are not deleted, but are, rather, replaced. The period does not simply stand in for itself but it is also a phantasm - an ongoing reminder of the post that once was. The period is both itself and the post about Brian's fluctuating weight in the 70s, for example. And yet the insurmountable fact remains that, for some, what halblaineisgood once said will always be an unknown - a set of words that evaporated before even being read by an audience (thereby rendering problematic the pervasive notion that readers attach meanings to texts) or, in the cases where one did read what he wrote, it is rare where one could replicate word-for-word precisely what he said. And even if you could, this repetition would only serve to reinforce just how distanced the copied text is from its origin - out of context, it would become an Other, itself a kind of phantom for what was. In this case, the period represents our failure to grasp anything objectivity - it reveals how our attempts to capture knowledge in its entirety is a futile effort, and our need to to always have mastery over what was once but can never be again, is derived from our ideological position of consumers, a position largely constructed for us. So I'm okay with it.

all I got from that was bla bla bla existential crap

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2015, 11:25:07 AM »

all I got from that was bla bla bla existential crap

In that case, you are severely  misreading my post. The existentialist position is that existence precedes essence, that values, our concept of human nature, etc. are constructed and constituted (and in some cases, re-constituted, or even Re-Constituted) by humans, not by some sort of a priori telelogical universe. The period, as it functions in the work of halblaineisgood in many ways disrupts the very concept of existence and essence as a binary opposition. The period is, in some sense, an exisence or an esstence, a parodoxical figure that problematizes our general conception of timespace. As I have already noted, the period challenges agency but, in many ways, from a secular point of view, since it also re-constitutes the very meaning of free will, foreclosing both questions of choice and determinism. Like Foucault, halblaineisgood may challenge the very notion of essence, but not necessarily from a post-Heideggarian, pre-Derridian space that makes Knowledge a thing that humans create rather than something that is always already available to us, waiting to be grasped. Instead, halblaineisgood reinstates notions of authorial control with the ongoing sentiment in place that such control works to remind us that we always only ever after the event, never during it. That this is not happening now but is happening then and that we will never actually get to experience this because it is already over. The period is finitude.

I'm not sure how you didn't get that.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 11:26:52 AM by Chocolate Shake Man » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2015, 11:28:03 AM »

And yet the insurmountable fact remains that, for some, what halblaineisgood once said will always be an unknown - a set of words that evaporated before even being read by an audience (thereby rendering problematic the pervasive notion that readers attach meanings to texts) or, in the cases where one did read what he wrote, it is rare where one could replicate word-for-word precisely what he said.

Meh. I've taken screenshots of many of his posts (before he edits them). I may upload and post them one day, in an attempt to prove that permanence, eternality, and timelessness are not a bourgeois fantasy, but a reality in the time and space we occupy at the moment.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2015, 11:30:05 AM »

And yet the insurmountable fact remains that, for some, what halblaineisgood once said will always be an unknown - a set of words that evaporated before even being read by an audience (thereby rendering problematic the pervasive notion that readers attach meanings to texts) or, in the cases where one did read what he wrote, it is rare where one could replicate word-for-word precisely what he said.

Meh. I've taken screenshots of many of his posts (before he edits them). I may upload and post them one day, in an attempt to prove that permanence, eternality, and timelessness are not a bourgeois fantasy, but a reality in the time and space we occupy at the moment.

Ah, but you don't take into account this point:

this repetition would only serve to reinforce just how distanced the copied text is from its origin - out of context, it would become an Other, itself a kind of phantom for what was
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2015, 11:39:02 AM »

Ah, but you don't take into account this point:

this repetition would only serve to reinforce just how distanced the copied text is from its origin - out of context, it would become an Other, itself a kind of phantom for what was

It shows the time and date of the post, as well as the thread title - it would be rather easy to find the context if one had the desire to do so.

Regardless, in the internet age where every single word and image is dispersed into space, it is a rather far fetched notion to assume that everything that you're writing is mortal. Every original post that Hal has written is currently floating completely untouched through the vacuum of outer space....rendering them eternal and timeless. And if these post-edits/periods are some sort of statement or experiment, I would suggest that Hal find another place to conduct this activity, as seeing periods peppered throughout the board is somewhat perplexing and annoying.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2015, 11:43:39 AM »

I'm just parodying academic language.

To be honest, though, I think I can understand halblaineisgood's motives - I wouldn't want to necessarily be associated with the statements that I made on a message board 10 years ago. Kafka burned a lot of his writing. Halblaineisgood replaces it with periods. Personally, I don't have a problem with it.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2015, 11:47:36 AM »

Grin I was just playing along.

I totally understand not wanting to associate yourself with old posts that could be embarrassing some years down the line...but perhaps before Hal writes something he could ask himself "Is this something I will end up deleting within a few minutes?" Just to save himself time, as well as the slight irritation from others who have to sift through the periods that are posted.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2015, 06:02:31 AM »

runners has been my friend for a year & a half by now. During the ban we talked a lot in mails, before that frequently PMed each other. He's one of the few people who's always been nice to me & I will treasure that forever.^_^   Now, on topic, he told me yesterday that he should be unbanned by now & I said yes, you are, since Feb. 26. But he says he wasn't doing well recently, so I hope it all gets sorted out & he will soon be here writing both educative & entertaining posts that you all so like him for. 3D

Btw, I too think his 30-day ban was a little harsh. But I'm clearly not a mod, & it's way too late anyway, so my rant is over.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: