gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:47:44 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I Can Hear Music  (Read 8969 times)
rb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 02, 2006, 07:35:32 AM »

What's the big deal? More importantly, if you were to make it mono and replace 'And Then I Kissed Her' with it on SD/SN, would it have the great rep it seems to? Would it dramatically raise the quality of that album? I don't think so.

Nice vocal, though.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 11:23:08 AM »

I think that's why it got on the radio in 1969.. because it sounded like something that could've been from 1965.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 11:36:59 AM »

to me, then i kissed her just isn't a revelation...it sounds pretty much like spector's production...but the thing, is i've never heard the original version i can hear music

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 05:47:59 PM »

to me, then i kissed her just isn't a revelation...it sounds pretty much like spector's production...but the thing, is i've never heard the original version i can hear music

Neither have I, that I can remember.  And apparently we aren't missing much.  Everyone, including I think Ronnie herself, said the Beach Boys' version of "I Can Hear Music" was superior to the Ronettes'.   It was the Ronettes' last record on Philles, and Phil didn't even produce it.  It only made it to Number 100 on the charts, whereas the Beach Boys version was almost in the Top 20 when the Beach Boys were quite uncool.  Phil's biographer Richard Williams said this in "Out Of His Head":   "Spector was so dispirited (over the failure of his production of Tina Turner doing "River Deep Mounain High") that he gave the group to Jeff Barry, who cut a fine song called 'I Can Hear Music' with them.  It suited Ronnie's voice, but Barry's production was unexceptional.  Three years later the Beach Boys turned it into a classic, thanks to Carl Wilson's inspired production and angelic lead vocal".

Compared to "And Then I Kissed Her", this one is STACKED vocally.  I think the reason it's popular among us Beach Boys fans (including myself) is the wall of Beach Boys vocals that just hit you like a wave right from the start:  "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh".  VERY positive engergy.  And the chorus is a great hook.  And it's about music!  Kinda.   Singing about music in a very spiritual-sounding way.

Craig
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 05:56:36 PM »

I've heard the Ronettes version, in fact, I heard it before the Beach Boys version.. it's nothing special.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 06:10:57 PM »

I think it's a great song, especially the production which I'm told Carl did, but in the liner notes for the 2fer, Brian is quoted as saying "We got the guitars to sound just how we wanted on that one".... leading me to believe that Brian had at least a hand in producing it.  Either way, it sounds like a church choir which is why everybody likes it whether they admit it or not.  Plus it just drives the whole song... it's just balls to the wall from the very beginning, it starts, it is what it is, it switches up a bit in the acapella part, and then it's back 100 miles an hour through to the end, tons and tons of beach boys singing all over the place. 

My favorite part is in the acapella bit, somebody (Brian? Carl?) is singing REALLLLY high in the background "Muuuuuuusssiiicc..... MUUUUUSSSIccccc.... MUUU---uuuuuuu-----ssssiiiiicccccc oohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 06:34:49 PM »

I betcha the high voice is Bruce.  He's said the vocals were done by just him, Carl, Al, and Mike. 
No Brian.  But I've always thought maybe Marilyn's on it.

Craig
al
Smiley Smile Associate

Home again Home again jiggety jig...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2006, 06:22:03 PM »

Yeah, I do remember reading somewhere that it was the first track that Brian had no input on at all.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2006, 08:54:04 PM »

Could Brian have helped mix it?  I'm trying to figure out what he's talking about on the 2fer notes.  Of course he could just be making things up, it would not be the first time, right?
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2006, 09:01:19 PM »

I found the notes.  Check this out.

"They say that I have a genius for makin' a complex piece of music seem easy.  I wanted the instrumental track of "I Can Hear Music" to be smooth and subliminal.  I used acoustic guitars.  Carl wailed on the lead.  His voice was gettin' established fast in the group." - Brian Wilson

He seems pretty adamant that he was there producing the track.  Surely he wouldn't just outright make that up out of thin air?
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2006, 09:09:07 PM »

Brian also credits Carl for producing "Add Some Music to Your Day" which all other documentation says is a Brian production.  And he said that they tried to make the Party album into a party, which I don't hear on the outtakes.  I would take Brian Wilson's notes with a grain of salt.
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2006, 09:19:27 PM »

I love ICHM, and one of these days it'll convince the boys to add it to the Truck's repertoire, because it's such a challenge to sing, and so rewarding when it turns out all right!

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2006, 10:26:47 PM »

Brian also mentions "Cotton Fields" in the liner notes for Friends.. they're pretty much worthless fluff.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2006, 10:35:58 PM »

My favorite part is in the acapella bit, somebody (Brian? Carl?) is singing REALLLLY high in the background "Muuuuuuusssiiicc..... MUUUUUSSSIccccc.... MUUU---uuuuuuu-----ssssiiiiicccccc oohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

I love it...very gospel-ish style of singing.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andreas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2006, 12:32:33 AM »

I would take Brian Wilson's notes with a grain of salt.
Exactly. For example, in the 20/20 liner notes, he writes: "By this album I rolled around to doin' what I call a rock and roll waltz with Cabin Essnce", and he also implies that he wrote and recorded "Our Prayer" for the 20/20 album.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2006, 05:52:56 AM »

I would take Brian Wilson's notes with a grain of salt.
Exactly. For example, in the 20/20 liner notes, he writes: "By this album I rolled around to doin' what I call a rock and roll waltz with Cabin Essnce", and he also implies that he wrote and recorded "Our Prayer" for the 20/20 album.

He didn't say that he wrote "Prayer" for 20/20, he told how he wrote it at the piano, but no mention of this album (or any other). But with "Cabinessence" he really seemed to talk about writing it for 20/20. But I we all know about Brian's memory, don't we?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2006, 08:53:19 AM »

If anyone wants to hear the Ronettes version for comparison, I've posted it here:

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=CDFFBA9507F03D07

It's no longer available on domestic CD compilations.
Peter Ames Carlin
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2006, 01:19:43 PM »

Back up a second, though. Did someone really just dismiss "Cottonfields" as 'fluff'? Wow. I love that song. Brian's production (the album version) at least. It's so understated and cool, so many weird combinations of instruments coming together to sound so folksy and downhome. And the vocals are terrific too....
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2006, 01:35:45 PM »

No, no, no, I said Brian's liner notes were fluff, and that he mentioned Cotton Fields on the Friends liner notes even though it was on 20/20.

It's a great song.

Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2006, 01:54:42 PM »

No, no, no, I said Brian's liner notes were fluff, and that he mentioned Cotton Fields on the Friends liner notes even though it was on 20/20.

It's a great song.

There's a big difference between mistaking which album one of your songs is on, and whether or not you helped to arrange and produce a track!  I for one believe that Brian had at least some input in "ICHM" (as I'm sure Carl also did with "ASMTYD").

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2006, 02:12:11 PM »

Well, at least one BB, either Al or Bruce, has said that Brian did not sing on ICHM.  So his impact would have to be minimal, and Brian received no producer credit.

What studios was it recorded in?  If it were done in NYC, that might help remove the possibility for Brian to have been there.  We know that at least some tracks were done in NYC while on tour in that period.

And the BB version BLOWS the Ronettes out of the water.  I am listening now, and there is no contest.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2006, 02:17:47 PM »

Point taken on the "asmtyd" credit, but I could understand Brian giving someone else credit for something others might think they had nothing or little to do with (I.E., maybe Carl came up with some ideas so Brian likes to say Carl produced that one)... but claiming you produced a song you had nothing to do with, and writing 3 or 4 lines about how great your production on that song was... surely his memory isn't THAT bad. 
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2006, 02:20:51 PM »

"I Can Hear Music" was recorded at the home studio on 10.01.68, one day prior to "Time to Get Alone", and mixed at Capitol on 11.11.68.

I don't think Al or Bruce's comments about Brian not singing on the track contradict Brian's claim to arranging part of it. 

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2006, 02:32:15 PM »

Point taken on the "asmtyd" credit, but I could understand Brian giving someone else credit for something others might think they had nothing or little to do with (I.E., maybe Carl came up with some ideas so Brian likes to say Carl produced that one)... but claiming you produced a song you had nothing to do with, and writing 3 or 4 lines about how great your production on that song was... surely his memory isn't THAT bad.

Depends on whether or not he actually DID write/say those things in the liner notes. Those things were  done during the Landy years. He could've been heavily medicated.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
rb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2006, 05:37:50 PM »

I'll admit it - they got a very nice guitar sound on ICHM too. It still baffles me a bit, though, as to why Kissed Her is not all that well regarded in comparison to it. Perhaps I'm in error linking the two songs, but it's a habit I've gotten into. I guess I have cloth ears, or my pro-Brian tendencies are more pronounced than I think.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx