gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:03:46 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Carl Conversation 1974  (Read 20116 times)
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2015, 06:05:51 AM »

See? For the guy it was a life changing event, so he's bound to remember it better. Or stronger.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Watch a Cave
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2015, 06:42:56 AM »

I believe this conversation happened, and that Carl wasn't an a-hole at all.  He just strikes me as a road-weary guy who is warning a young naive guy about the realities of being a rock star.

But what impresses me most about this story is that Mike had not one but 2 hot babes on his arms..  a blonde and a redhead no less!  Good for Mike.  I thought only Dennis was capable of these things!

« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 06:43:59 AM by Watch a Cave » Logged
Beachlad
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2015, 06:51:35 AM »

What is the Altbach incident? I don't have the In Concert Book?
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2015, 06:53:54 AM »

I believe this conversation happened, and that Carl wasn't an a-hole at all.  He just strikes me as a road-weary guy who is warning a young naive guy about the realities of being a rock star.

But what impresses me most about this story is that Mike had not one but 2 hot babes on his arms..  a blonde and a redhead no less!  Good for Mike.  I thought only Dennis was capable of these things!

The real story is obvious-Denny had 2 leftovers and paid them to be nice to myke. Grin

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2015, 10:27:48 AM »

Yeah, the guy who wrote the story could've been what Carl said. You know the type - meeting a superstar and thinking that person is destined to be their best friend and will relate to everything.  I support Carl.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2015, 11:03:53 AM »

I'm going back to the question I asked earlier which, so far, has been ignoredor at least side-stepped...INSIDERS...Help out here please...the question again was...

"And do sound crew guys get to invite people to come hang out WITH THE BAND after a gig?"

...'cause if they couldn't and didn't...then THIS didn't happen.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2015, 11:22:58 AM »

I'm going back to the question I asked earlier which, so far, has been ignoredor at least side-stepped...INSIDERS...Help out here please...the question again was...

"And do sound crew guys get to invite people to come hang out WITH THE BAND after a gig?"

I don't know if any of us here would know what the arrangements were back then with this type of thing.  I could see the crew getting a pass or two each to hand out to friends.  But this story sounds as if it were a little bit embellished for effect.  This paragraph:

"I didn’t understand what was going on in their lives at that point in their history. Frankly, I was one of those people who saw them as The Beach Boys, not as Carl, Dennis, Al, Brian, Mike, but as a phenomenon and as the group that expressed what I felt in music. If any one of them felt used, rejected frightened, I don’t think I ever gave that a thought. Later I would find out, through documentaries, that Brian had had a breakdown and was literally in bed, clinically depressed perhaps. That they had a falling out with their father who had been their producer early on. And that Dennis was keeping company with Charles Manson and family."

Makes no sense.  Yeah, Brian had had his problems, but those were well known to the public by 1974.  Yeah, they had had a falling out with their father...in 1965.  Poor Murry was gone by 1974.  And Dennis had kept company with Charlie, but that was back in 1968. 

Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2015, 11:30:22 AM »

Just reading it through...the first time...it struck me as a created piece of fiction.  THAT stuff you mentioned was pretty common info for anyone with any interest in anything Beach Boys beyond just the hits.  The framing of it doesn't ring true.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2015, 11:32:26 AM »

I'm with you.
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2015, 12:07:28 PM »

The night Carl told Mr T. to "shut the f*** up" after a 4th July concert, from an interview with John Meglen, CEO of AEG Live :

"The Beach Boys experience is summer afternoons in the sun, and summer evenings.

That’s right. That was a time when they were doing the Washington Monument shows on the 4th of July to a million people.

Those were crazy.

In 1983, we did Philly first; then we did the National Mall in Washington, D.C.; and then we did Miami. It was when James Watt was the secretary of the Interior. He was the guy that got the Golden Foot Award from Ronald Reagan for trying to ban the annual rock concerts on the Mall with bands like the Beach Boys.

The lineup that year was La Toya Jackson, the Oak Ridge Boys, the Moody Blues, Three Dog Night, Mr. T, Hank Williams Jr., Jimmy Page, Julio Iglesias.

This was the weirdest damn thing you ever saw in your life.

We were staying in D.C. and we had to go up to Philly in the morning to do the Philly show. We get on this train up to Philadelphia, and we have our own cars. And Mr. T. begins talking. And this guy is talking, talking and talking. We do the show in Philadelphia.

It was first time Jimmy Page had done anything in years. I was standing up on the side of the stage, and I swear that you could feel the ground move when Jimmy Page walked out on the stage. It was so amazing.

After the show, we jumped on this big Braniff International airplane, and buzzed the D.C. site. The second we get back on the Braniff airplane, Mr. T started talking and talking and talking. We do the D.C. show, and we have to get back on this plane and fly down to Miami Beach. We get on a plane and Mr. T. starts talking and talking. Carl Wilson, the humblest guy in the world, literally turned around and said, “You know what? We’ve all had enough. Would you just shut the f*** up?” I think that the whole plane applauded."

Rest of article here :

http://www.celebrityaccess.com/members/profile.html?id=632&PHPSESSID=e0qkdm8l6lfmt05englsa6r5l4
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 12:09:42 PM by D409 » Logged
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2015, 12:18:06 PM »

I never met the man, but everyone I have talked to who has says he was a patient and diplomatic man who kept his true feelings pretty well veiled.  Any patient and diplomatic person who is keeping that much in is going to have moments where they can't keep it up anymore.  Just because Carl was a cool dude 99% of the time doesn't mean there isn't a 1% where he's just had it and he's going to say what's on his mind, a la Mr. T.   

Underneath it all, from what I've been able to tell, Carl seems to have been a pretty no-bullshit guy who balanced his compassion with a certain call it as he sees it integrity.  I don't think the story happened exactly as written, but I don't reject it out of hand, either.  I wouldn't be surprised if those were close to his feelings, at least at that moment.  Particularly since the era that we're talking about is not very well documented.

And yeah, sound guys and all manner of people can bring people backstage and even to the dressing room.  I've been on major tours and it can go down just like that.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2015, 12:31:46 PM »

Ya Adam...I don't think we're debating the Mr. T thing.  It's the other one.  Anyway...I asked about the sound guys bringing folks...not backstage for a 'sec'...but rather to a party where they can just come in, sit down, eat, drink...in fact get ploughed, and just amble over, again sit down and shoot the breeze with the stars of the show.  Generally...from what I've seen along the way...even in the early 70s...those things were controlled to at least some degree.

I mean really?  "Hi Dennis.  Mind if I lie down here in the corner beside you?  I have a couple of questions."

Ya...come on back stranger...and join the 'party'?  I don't think so. 3D

« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 01:39:18 PM by Add Some » Logged

Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2015, 12:43:29 PM »

The whole thing in 1974 reads like a scene from Almost Famous.  The personalities don't match Carl, Mike, Dennis or Al... the descriptions could be any rock band from that era.  And the dialog itself is, again, generic, rock & roll "get a life, kid" pablum - it reads like a Cameron Crowe scene.  A bad one.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2015, 01:40:06 PM »

That's what I'm sayin' Steve...just not nearly as well. Cool Guy

mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2015, 01:46:01 PM »

The night Carl told Mr T. to "shut the f*** up" after a 4th July concert, from an interview with John Meglen, CEO of AEG Live :

"The Beach Boys experience is summer afternoons in the sun, and summer evenings.

That’s right. That was a time when they were doing the Washington Monument shows on the 4th of July to a million people.

Those were crazy.

In 1983, we did Philly first; then we did the National Mall in Washington, D.C.; and then we did Miami. It was when James Watt was the secretary of the Interior. He was the guy that got the Golden Foot Award from Ronald Reagan for trying to ban the annual rock concerts on the Mall with bands like the Beach Boys.

The lineup that year was La Toya Jackson, the Oak Ridge Boys, the Moody Blues, Three Dog Night, Mr. T, Hank Williams Jr., Jimmy Page, Julio Iglesias.

This was the weirdest damn thing you ever saw in your life.

We were staying in D.C. and we had to go up to Philly in the morning to do the Philly show. We get on this train up to Philadelphia, and we have our own cars. And Mr. T. begins talking. And this guy is talking, talking and talking. We do the show in Philadelphia.

It was first time Jimmy Page had done anything in years. I was standing up on the side of the stage, and I swear that you could feel the ground move when Jimmy Page walked out on the stage. It was so amazing.

After the show, we jumped on this big Braniff International airplane, and buzzed the D.C. site. The second we get back on the Braniff airplane, Mr. T started talking and talking and talking. We do the D.C. show, and we have to get back on this plane and fly down to Miami Beach. We get on a plane and Mr. T. starts talking and talking. Carl Wilson, the humblest guy in the world, literally turned around and said, “You know what? We’ve all had enough. Would you just shut the f*** up?” I think that the whole plane applauded."

Rest of article here :

http://www.celebrityaccess.com/members/profile.html?id=632&PHPSESSID=e0qkdm8l6lfmt05englsa6r5l4

Unless I'm mistaken the Beach Boys didn't play the Mall 1983.  They played Atlantic City on the 4th of July.

The following year back at the Mall I don't remember seeing Mr T or Jimmy Page (the show was broadcast).  Just shows how the mind can play tricks for some of these artists and promoters.  I'm sure 1985 was the Jimmy Page show.

As far as the story about Carl in 1974, I can imagine him saying ahole but not in an aggressive manner.  So I've no reason to dismiss the story out of hand.

Maybe Carl should have said to Mr T "Just drink the milk BA!"  Wonder how they managed to get T on the plane in the first place Wink
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 03:20:12 PM by mikeddonn » Logged
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2015, 02:11:08 PM »

I don't know if any of us here would know what the arrangements were back then with this type of thing.  I could see the crew getting a pass or two each to hand out to friends.  But this story sounds as if it were a little bit embellished for effect.  This paragraph:

"I didn’t understand what was going on in their lives at that point in their history. Frankly, I was one of those people who saw them as The Beach Boys, not as Carl, Dennis, Al, Brian, Mike, but as a phenomenon and as the group that expressed what I felt in music. If any one of them felt used, rejected frightened, I don’t think I ever gave that a thought. Later I would find out, through documentaries, that Brian had had a breakdown and was literally in bed, clinically depressed perhaps. That they had a falling out with their father who had been their producer early on. And that Dennis was keeping company with Charles Manson and family."

Makes no sense.  Yeah, Brian had had his problems, but those were well known to the public by 1974.  Yeah, they had had a falling out with their father...in 1965.  Poor Murry was gone by 1974.  And Dennis had kept company with Charlie, but that was back in 1968.  

LostArt, in fairness, there wasn't that much information readily available about the Beach Boys in 1974.  I became a fan in 1976 at age 19, and I could only find one thin (but valuable) volume about them (Ken Barnes', which came out in 1976), and whatever magazine articles that came out around the Brian's Back campaign.   Before Barnes' book there was even less information available, and one couldn't go online and get, for example, the 1971 Rolling Stone article.  (Even if you knew it existed, where would you get it?  At least in Houston, university libraries didn't carry back issues of Rolling Stone).  

Edit: my apologies if you were around back then, and know this very well.  My point is just that what we now take for granted as BB history was not known by everybody.

It wouldn't surprise me that this fan was only casually familiar with the history of the band, and happened to catch Carl on a bad day, even if his account may not be 100% accurate.

As an aside, the Mr. T story raises my esteem for Carl even more!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 02:44:00 PM by Les P » Logged
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2015, 02:18:44 PM »

We always talk on this forum of Carl being this beast without a mind, but I'm sure that's only partially true.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2015, 02:27:23 PM »

well maybe the dude isn't telling the whole story, maybe he said something to Carl to make Carl think he was an A-Hole (that he left out of the story) because it doesn't make sense that Carl would just say that out of nowhere but if this dude pushed his buttons (like the Mr.T incident) then it makes more sense..
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2015, 03:28:28 PM »

Guy says to Carl, "great concert". Carl replies :"What's your dream? What do you want in life?" Does that sound like a real-life conversation?

Carl then gets all tough-love guru. Want to end up like Dennis (collapsed in a corner)? Then , on cue, Mike at his most obnoxious enters." Or like that asshole?"

Is this how real life works? People presenting themselves on cue as demonstration examples for cornball "is this what you want for your life?" lectures. I don't believe it.

Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2015, 03:38:09 PM »

I don't know if any of us here would know what the arrangements were back then with this type of thing.  I could see the crew getting a pass or two each to hand out to friends.  But this story sounds as if it were a little bit embellished for effect.  This paragraph:

Makes no sense.  Yeah, Brian had had his problems, but those were well known to the public by 1974.  Yeah, they had had a falling out with their father...in 1965.  Poor Murry was gone by 1974.  And Dennis had kept company with Charlie, but that was back in 1968.  

LostArt, in fairness, there wasn't that much information readily available about the Beach Boys in 1974.  I became a fan in 1976 at age 19, and I could only find one thin (but valuable) volume about them (Ken Barnes', which came out in 1976), and whatever magazine articles that came out around the Brian's Back campaign.   Before Barnes' book there was even less information available, and one couldn't go online and get, for example, the 1971 Rolling Stone article.  (Even if you knew it existed, where would you get it?  At least in Houston, university libraries didn't carry back issues of Rolling Stone).  

Edit: my apologies if you were around back then, and know this very well.  My point is just that what we now take for granted as BB history was not known by everybody.

It wouldn't surprise me that this fan was only casually familiar with the history of the band, and happened to catch Carl on a bad day, even if his account may not be 100% accurate.

Ok, not everyone who went to a Beach Boys' concert in 74 knew that the band had three brothers, a cousin and a friend. But you know, if you knew who Brian Wilson was (the leader, composer, arranger etc) you'd certainly know that he didn't tour.

I think this dude happened to go to a get tigether with the band but each time he told the story in the last 4 decades it got more... perfect and rounded. It happens.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2015, 03:46:31 PM »

Ok, not everyone who went to a Beach Boys' concert in 74 knew that the band had three brothers, a cousin and a friend. But you know, if you knew who Brian Wilson was (the leader, composer, arranger etc) you'd certainly know that he didn't tour.

I think this dude happened to go to a get tigether with the band but each time he told the story in the last 4 decades it got more... perfect and rounded. It happens.

And his story as is, makes for a much better reason for him to "turn to jesus" than the probable actual happenings

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2015, 04:23:31 PM »

And his story as is, makes for a much better reason for him to "turn to jesus" than the probable actual happenings

Now that I see the entire religious writeup on his page, yes, there could well be some embellishment upon a real incident for effect, in addition to any unintentional memory changes that years often bring.

I didn't know Carl, so I could never claim to know what he would or wouldn't say to a fan, only that the general account didn't seem that far-fetched to me.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 05:43:23 PM by Les P » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2015, 04:34:15 PM »

Of course, the guy could've been so stoned, he could've  actually been  having a conversation with Fleetwood Mac and got Christine McVie mixed up with Al :/

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2015, 04:35:54 PM »

Of course, the guy could've been so stoned, he could've  actually been  having a conversation with Fleetwood Mac and got Christine McVie mixed up with Al :/

LOL
Beachlad
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2015, 05:04:36 PM »

Of course, the guy could've been so stoned, he could've  actually been  having a conversation with Fleetwood Mac and got Christine McVie mixed up with Al :/
Isn't she taller than Al>g<
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx