gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:01:44 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 28 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Lorren Daro Thread  (Read 233718 times)
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: January 22, 2015, 12:38:49 PM »

... okay, we already locked and removed one Daro-thread; please don't let this one derail any further resulting in another topic we have to close. Please move on, agree-to-disagree, etc.

Btw, the 'mindless pricks' remarks was quoted directly from Daro's blcok (if I recall correctly), so it's mentioning here wasn't a direct call out from one board member to another to begon with. Yet we take it personal again... sheehs....
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 12:54:01 PM by SMiLE Holland » Logged

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: January 22, 2015, 01:17:31 PM »

Well said SMiLE Holland.
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: January 22, 2015, 01:20:52 PM »

Touchy bunch, ain't we?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 01:35:24 PM by Michael Paul Garneau » Logged
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: January 22, 2015, 01:38:21 PM »

I believe ‘Smile’ wasn’t completed because of objections to it by both Mike Love and the record company, which refused to release it, even if it was completed. I agree with that decision. The music, and the lyrics written by VDP were great, but Brian’s contributions were ludicrous. I mean, “…I gotta eat my vege-tables.” Indeed…

Lorren, thank you for your reply.  Are you aware of any instances of Brian destroying or erasing tapes out of frustration, anger, discouragement, etc?  

And do you have an opinion why Brian started re-recording 'Smile' tracks almost obsessively; for instance, was it his personal creative perfectionism that drove him, or some other reason (self-doubt due to criticism, commercial pressure, pressure from group, etc)?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 07:07:07 PM by Les P » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: January 22, 2015, 02:46:42 PM »

One specific comment: It's not really so surprising Daro might not remember being at the "Help Me, Rhonda" session, even if he was, in fact, there. After all, the infamous dialogue tape suggests very little of value was recorded that day. Perhaps Daro has no memory of being at a Rhonda session because it wasn't even apparent what they were recording that day?

That specific Rhonda session has been on collector's cassette tapes, then CD's, then YouTube, and web sites and blogs all over the internet. It's been public domain for many years. If I knew The Beach Boys and/or someone else knew that I knew The Beach Boys and this tape was brought to my attention and they asked, "Mike, is that you that Brian Wilson is talking to on this Beach Boys session tape along with his drunk father?", I'd know it right away. When I first heard the tape and Brian was heard calling for "Lorren", I immediately knew it was Lorren Schwartz, the guy I'd previously read about in articles and books related to The Beach Boys. There aren't that many guys with the first name "Lorren" out there.  Plus, Lorren says he was at the Pet Sounds sessions, which were only one year after the the Rhonda sessions. I'm thinking pretty much anybody who was there would remember Murry coming in (first time since he was fired the year before?) and all but ruining the session. Another memorable event would be Brian throwing Murry up against the wall during an "I Get Around" session.

But I don't fault Mr. Daro for not remembering the Rhonda session specifically. It was a long time ago, and my memory is starting to fade about 1965 events and highlights too!  Some things you remember and some you don't, that's all. I would hope he'd remember, though.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 04:25:51 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: January 22, 2015, 03:04:39 PM »

The "Rhonda" sessions are epochal to the people THAT WEREN'T THERE. For Daro, it was probably just another argument between Brian and Murry, and hence, not overly memorable. This whole "Gotcha! You were actually there on 6/24/64, liar!" nonsense is tiresome. I get the need to get the facts right, but this insane obsession with specific dates and events just isn't how people remember their lives.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 03:06:07 PM by Mr. Cohen » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: January 22, 2015, 03:08:52 PM »

Nobody here has ever called Lorren a liar for not remembering the Rhonda session, there, Cohen of Controversy. Get your facts straight.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 22, 2015, 03:15:15 PM »

When he first appeared, people were questioning if it was a hoax for those sorts of reasons. That's what I was referring to.
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: January 22, 2015, 03:21:40 PM »

Been following this alternately fascinating and disheartening thread for the last day or two.

My main question is: Why must Lorren Daro be right for his contributions to this forum to be valuable? He is not a scholar, he is not a professional expert writing a history of the band or Brian Wilson. He is a participant in the story at a particular period of time, and anyone who has done in-depth research or conducted interviews knows that the memories of participants can be wildly divergent, and often incorrect.

The value of what Lorren might have to contribute is not in its factual accuracy, but in his perspective. You may think his perspective is wrong on many issues, but that doesn't make it valueless. His perspective--especially when very different from the consensus--is exactly what makes his comments potentially interesting to us. We don't have to agree with them, and it's perfectly fine to personally believe they may be skewed by an agenda, but exploring them with him, by weaving another voice into the fabric, can only make our understanding of this time period fuller. Just use your brains, the confirmed facts, and your own judgment to evaluate the accuracy or potential accuracy of what you're hearing.

I, too, couldn't agree more with the above post.

I have found it mystifying how much ire has been thrown back at Lorren Daro. Only Lee Dempsey to me articulated his perspective with any real emotional truth. I now get where Lee was coming from and it makes total sense. Others, not so much. This place felt a bit like a Wild West posse. Did Lorren murder all of our daughetrs or something? Sheesh.

Most everyone seems to agree (even Lorren himself now) that his initial post crossed the line in the tact and respect department. So yeah, guilty as charged. So he may have some facts wrong (from 40-50 years ago). So he may have an agenda, a bias. Who doesn't? So as long as he makes an effort to work more toward a respectful dialogue, please, for the love of God, let's not chase him off again just because we might not agree with everything or even mistrust some of it.

That said I totally support the mods. Pulling the thread isn't something i would have done personally (I think - hard to say as an observer), but I respect their decision, given some of the more scathing personal remarks that were made there.

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 22, 2015, 04:03:04 PM »

One thing really cracks me up here. All the Johnny-Cum-Lately's that have made comments who weren't even around to read the first thread. They comment on the comments of the posters who were actually there to read Mr. Daro's initial posts with their own observations and after-the-fact comments. Some jump on the ol' proverbial bandwagon and some make it known that they're clearly not going to jump. It's just funny.  Cheesy

Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: January 22, 2015, 05:05:15 PM »

I would like to respectfully suggest at this point that we try to shift the emphasis here to asking Lorren Daro as many questions as we can regarding his experiences, impressions--and opinions--with respect to the time he was Brian's friend.

I would suggest that we compile the questions and then refrain from replying until Lorren (if he is so inclined) completes answering the entire list of questions or indicates to us that he's completed what he is willing, alble and ready to address. I am confident he will candid, possibly in ways that will be uncomfortable to some. But, as has been stated, this is a fascinating and rare opportunity, and we should understand that and act accordingly.

I believe that this group can compile an incredible, highly encompassing set of queries and this would make for a fascinating parallel with the analogous event that is apparently going to occur with Brian.

Once that is completed, then fur may fly--or not--it will be a Smiley Smile free-for-all. In anticipation of that, I have just acquired a flak jacket that rumor has it was formerly owned by a Mr. A.G. Doe, who outgrew it and now is sporting even more formidable attire.

Cool Guy
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: January 22, 2015, 05:28:11 PM »

I think asking Lorrem questions is totally ok. It's up to each one of us to filter the answers to our liking. No insider carries the gospel or real truth on two stone tablets, no matter how much he's been or currently is Brian's friend. Everyone's biased.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #337 on: January 22, 2015, 07:06:08 PM »

So Lorren...Good evening to you.  Hope you're feelin' OK...and a little more relaxed.  I want to pick your brain a touch.  Back when Brian had 'Pet Sounds' pretty much ready for the rest of the group to add in their vocals...thats after he'd recorded most if not all of the instrumentation and had already recorded his own vocals onto most of the tracks...what was going through his head?  THEY were coming back from being on the road...in Japan was it?  He was sitting there with a bold new expression for a group hopefully looking forward to a brighter future.  Was he excited or apprehensive about the reaction he was going to get?  What did he expect to hear from them collectively and individually?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 07:07:35 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 22, 2015, 09:03:19 PM »

That was weird.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 22, 2015, 09:12:59 PM »

Been following this alternately fascinating and disheartening thread for the last day or two.

My main question is: Why must Lorren Daro be right for his contributions to this forum to be valuable? He is not a scholar, he is not a professional expert writing a history of the band or Brian Wilson. He is a participant in the story at a particular period of time, and anyone who has done in-depth research or conducted interviews knows that the memories of participants can be wildly divergent, and often incorrect.

The value of what Lorren might have to contribute is not in its factual accuracy, but in his perspective. You may think his perspective is wrong on many issues, but that doesn't make it valueless. His perspective--especially when very different from the consensus--is exactly what makes his comments potentially interesting to us. We don't have to agree with them, and it's perfectly fine to personally believe they may be skewed by an agenda, but exploring them with him, by weaving another voice into the fabric, can only make our understanding of this time period fuller. Just use your brains, the confirmed facts, and your own judgment to evaluate the accuracy or potential accuracy of what you're hearing.

Excellent point.  Let's not forget that Brian and Mike can't agree when and where they wrote Fun, Fun, Fun, with Brian telling Mike, "Your brain is getting senile!"
MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: January 22, 2015, 10:16:24 PM »

I too don't want to seem like I'm nitpicking but I asked your timeline because about a year ago I sent an email to you after reading your essay and in your reply to me you said you lost contact with Brian when Dr Landy arrive on the scene, you said there was no more you could do for Brian at that point. Now your saying you cut you contacts at the end of the smile period.

Mr Daro can you please explain this to me. The time you explained the timeline to me is vastly different to what you had said previously to me, about a decades difference.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #341 on: January 22, 2015, 10:39:07 PM »

And earlier he said he'd been in contact with him a couple of years ago :/

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: January 22, 2015, 11:57:48 PM »

OK, here's my question - Lorren, do you have any particularly memorable experiences you'd like to share of time spent hanging out with Brian Wilson, Tony Asher, and/or Van Dyke Parks?
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #343 on: January 23, 2015, 12:00:54 AM »

According to him, I'm a mindless prick - we all are -

To be hairsplittingly correct, he only said there are mindless pricks inhabitating this forums but not specifically that all posters here are. But I guess we can take it as very likely that he included you in this category. Grin Probably me too, as I do not have a favorable opinion on people who expectorate insults like "mindless pricks" at such a rate. That doesn't mean his perspective wasn't interesting to know, as other posters pointed out.

Touchy bunch, ain't we?

Taht would be a good alternate name for the Beach Boys. "Dave Marks And The Touchy Bunch" Cheesy

But I don't fault Mr. Daro for not remembering the Rhonda session specifically. It was a long time ago, and my memory is starting to fade about 1965 events and highlights too!

Many people from the 60s say they don't remember much of the time due to some substances... Grin

Excellent point.  Let's not forget that Brian and Mike can't agree when and where they wrote Fun, Fun, Fun, with Brian telling Mike, "Your brain is getting senile!"

Were Brian and Mike even there when they wrote it? Cheesy

I bet our guests don't expect the Spanish Inquisition when they come here to share.

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition! Cardinal Fang, fetch the Comfy Chair!

THE COMFY CHAIR??!? Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #344 on: January 23, 2015, 12:58:37 AM »

And earlier he said he'd been in contact with him a couple of years ago :/

What, are you questioning his wisdom? Well obviously you sir, are a mindless prick!  Grin

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: January 23, 2015, 01:08:08 AM »

One thing really cracks me up here. All the Johnny-Cum-Lately's that have made comments who weren't even around to read the first thread. They comment on the comments of the posters who were actually there to read Mr. Daro's initial posts with their own observations and after-the-fact comments. Some jump on the ol' proverbial bandwagon and some make it known that they're clearly not going to jump. It's just funny.  Cheesy

Just like when you've liked a band your whole life and then someone comes along and starts liking them too, and it's just soooo annnoying, right?  Cos you discovered them first,  and who are they to have an opinion...  THEY WEREN"T THERE AT THE BEGINNING!  Wink

Anyway,  Lorren,  maybe  Marilyn was just scared to death of drugs, rather than trying to hold him back? Maybe she also didn't fit in with the crowd and felt intimidated?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 01:13:24 AM by Wild-Honey » Logged
Lorren Daro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: January 23, 2015, 01:27:55 AM »

The following is a comment posted on WordPress by ‘Johann’

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

In my opinion, some of those self-styled historians at the Smiley Smile board come off as a bit creepy, and can't see the forest for the trees.

How any of them could possibly know how Brian's wife treated him or Lorren behind closed doors 50 years ago  is beyond me.

I found the following passage on page 134 of the Steven Gaines "Heroes and Villains" book to be interesting:

”According to Marilyn Wilson, Loren Schwartz began to rule Brian's life. "Brian was just completely taken with him," she said. Feisty and dedicated (LD: Wrong), Marilyn kept up an active campaign for Brian to end their friendship. "(Brian) would always want me to go over to Loren's house, and I would say, "No, I'm not comfortable with those people." (LD: Lynda and her got along fine)

When the fighting over Loren became explosive, Marilyn threw up her hands.

The book goes on to say Marilyn separated from Brian, who didn't seem to care about the separation, at first. Marilyn said, "He wasn't devastated at all." (LD: She’s right, he wasn’t – she wasn’t Diane)

Ultimately they reconciled but "Brian's fascination with Loren Schwartz and drugs did not end, and soon Loren was a daily visitor to Laurel Way."
----
If even half of this scene is true, then it's not difficult to see why Lorren doesn't view Marilyn in the same way as many of her supporters at the Smiley Smile board, most of whom have likely never met her, or know her beyond fawning over her during a short meeting, or being a Facebook 'friend' of hers.

Continue to fight the good fight, Lorren.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone wishes to read the original essay I posted on WordPress, which began this whole controversy, here is the Website:

https://lorrendaro.wordpress.com/2012/05/30/brian-wilson-and-lsd/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AGD: As to asking me to ‘…get the others in.’ It’s long ago, but I think I was in the studio with Brian and some musicians and Murry, over the PA, asked me to bring them into the booth to hear a playback. Aside: After I had confronted Murry (before this) and got in his face, he realized that I wouldn’t take any sh*t from him, he became sort-of friendly with me. I think because I had more sway with Brian at that point then he did. Brian either had just, or was about to, fire Murray as manager. I can’t recall the dates or the sequence. Perhaps some of you can fill me in.

As to the Bellago move, I was on the road with some group in early 1967. It makes sense that Brian moved from Laurel Way in April, 1967. What I should have said was that I left my relationship with Brian at the end of 1966, even though he didn’t make the move until April, 1967. I saw him once more later in 1967 when I heard the tapes I described. I had been living in Japan. It was just a visit to the new house and not a continuation of our relationship. Hope this makes sense. I can’t speak to the autobiography or Landy. I was long gone by then.

Micha: I used the word ‘race’ as an easy metaphor for Jewish culture and society. We use the word among ourselves because we feel like one. I should have used a different word, but it comes so easily.

MrRobinsonsFather: I’m sorry but I can’t remember the dates involved with Landy and when I left. That period is too hazy for me, and was also when I replied to your email. I think I left before, or just as, Landy’s invasion. I remember conversations with our mutual friends about Landy, and I smelled a rat immediately. I wasn’t wrong.

To Cam: I don’t know if you ever read my essay, but I think there’s enough there to describe the ‘salons’. If you need more, I can dredge up some details.

Thank you, Wild Honey, you describe my calendar predicament perfectly. I was inside it all, not outside taking notes. Maybe I need a hypnotist…

Dancing Bear: VDP would tell you this: He agreed with me about how ludicrous Brian’s lyrics were, but his collaborations were seen by him as furthering his career – and VDP isn’t shy about saying so. He recently wrote an article for TheDailyBeast.com describing Brian as being a ‘bully’ when he worked with him. Some of you may not know it, but VDP is an international star. He is welcome in Japan and all over Europe to give concerts, and his records sell well everywhere but here. He, too, is a musical genius, but not an idiot. If he put his mind to it, he’d be a major poet. Why SS members hate him, I can’t understand…

Tricycle: I’m sorry, but ‘Smile’ is a mess. There’s no accounting for taste. At my home, the stars were The Beatles, Crosby, Stills and Nash, Motown, Ray Charles (‘Drown in My Own Tears’ Wow!), a number of folk groups, Brian’s acetates – straight from the machine, Dylan, of course… I’ll try to think of others.

Modern Cargo: At times, I have described myself as a ‘benign sociopath.’ I don’t particularly like society, with its herd mentality and rampant violence, bigotry and greed. I have never had a breakdown or a mental illness. I prefer one-to-one relationships. The minute you’re with more than two people, it all falls apart. I’m an only child accustomed to being alone – preferring it, actually. I always had one best friend and one woman in my life. I was married for seventeen years to Lynda, two kids, boy and girl, now in their forties. Always a bit strange, no small talk, philosophical mind, drawn to metaphysics. Always felt out of place, corporations seemed like monasteries to me. Could read and write at two. Skipped a year in school. Grad of UCLA. Lived by my wits, free from nine to five. Mom thought I was crazy. Sent me to a shrink. He told me it was my Mom who was crazy. Kicked me out after three months, saying I didn’t need him. Lovely guy. I hope your question was serious and not sarcasm…

Oh, AGD: You know that Brian fed his ideas to his collaborators and they wrote the lyrics for him – ask Tony Asher. Brian usually knew what he wanted to say, but couldn’t fit the words into the music. The people he worked with knew how to do that. Do you really think that VDP would write a song about how much he loved vegetables. Stop provoking me or I’ll revert to my evil twin.

LostArt: I never discussed the direction of VDP’s collaboration with Brian at the time. Everyone thought that VDP’s lyrics were too sophisticated to work with ‘Smile.’ I don’t know who told me that Capitol refused to release it. But it was very clear at the time that they did. This was at the end of my journey with Brian, so I wasn’t deeply in enough to know the details. Am I wrong in thinking that VDP and Brian collaborated on ‘Surf’s Up’ and ‘Sail On Sailor’? I loved those cuts. If so, those collaborations worked while ‘Smile’ didn’t. I’m sorry if SS members aren’t happy that I don’t like ‘Smile.’ I’m determined to be honest here, for good or ill. I owe that to both you and myself. I try not to bullshit anyone.

Filledeplage:  You are about as full of sh*t as anyone I have ever had contact with. You are so far off the mark that it’s truly astonishing. Obviously, you have never taken LSD, and you read too many books and believe them without true contemplation. You folks think I’m full of bile and invective. This guy makes me feel like a saint. Please don’t write to me again as I will ignore you.

Modern Cargo: My impression was that Capitol was ready for a blockbuster, but when they heard the finished product, they wrote off the PR and bailed out. Again, I don’t blame them. This used to happen a lot when groups were like demigods and had great influence with the record companies. They learned quickly to rein them in.

As I said, Mikie, I’m confused about the dates. Knowing the date Brian fired Murry might help. Did I start being Tour Manger after he was fired, or in between somewhere? I only did one tour with the BB’s. Stayed in New York, toured New England. Hanging with Mike Love once was enough for me. Greener pastures lay beyond. No particular memories. Just another bunch of concerts like the hundreds that were ahead of me for eight more years.

Paul J B: Hey, Paul, did you ever meet ML? If you had you would sing a different tune. Of course, he did his work. Why not? It made him a fortune. His resentment of Brian and his toxic jealousy of him created a poisonous stew. Did you know that ML hired a virtual army of lawyers who pursued Brian for years demanding royalties for songs he never contributed to? It made Brian sick. I saw the pain and sorrow it caused him. And I think it contributed strongly to his drift into hard drugs and mental illness. So many people hate ML. Do you think we’re all crazy?

LeeDempsey: Would you prefer to write my responses for me?

My pal Buddhahat: I wasn’t around when VDP and Brian worked together. I was around when he worked with Tony Asher, however. Yes, of course I remember the sandbox. Also the blue gym mats lining the entire living room floor in the Laurel Way house. The famous tent had no opening in the top. The smoke was unbearable. I told Brian to open it up, but he said having it closed was the point. The pro jukebox was some Beatles, but mostly Phil Spector. We went to his house together one evening. He met us at the door wearing large foam ears and feet, but we never mentioned them. The conversation was awkward. Two more different people you could not imagine. See my previous comments about ‘Surf’s Up’ and ‘Heroes and Villains’. I loved those songs…

Filledeplage: I’m 77 and I have nothing to apologize for. Please don’t ask again. I know what I did, and it was right.

Senorpotatohead: No, dear Senor, we can’t. No room in this seriously screwed up world for childish nursery rhymes. We need a deeper understanding of ourselves and our motives and actions in this life. Artists are here to help us, to enlighten us, to drive us forward into love and understanding. What the hell do we need an ode to vegetables for? Just asking…

Lost Art: Once again, no problems, only superb creativity for three years following his trip. The lack of understanding and compassion of the people around him – Marilyn and ML included – drove him down. The coke, the speed, the food, the agoraphobia conspired to finish him off. I often think of him today as a great oak, hollowed out, as if from a fire…

AGD: I knew Fred Vail from my agency work with GAC and Ashley-Famous. I founded their rock divisions in 1963 and 1966, respectively and booked many a group with the concerts he promoted. Ask him if he remembers the Four Seasons West coast tour in 1963. He made a fortune. I booked it. I never knew David Marks.

AGD: I didn’t mean you, AGD. I meant those other mindless pricks that inhabit this site. Ask Buddahat about them…

Cam: You are too cool for school…

Everyone: Oh, stop with the paranoia for crissakes! Just because I used the word, ‘we’re’, aren’t you guys hip enough to know that I meant the mean-spirited, mindless asses that spew vindictive and uniformed criticism, and not those of you with rational and reasonable minds? You know who you are, and, unfortunately, the asses don’t know who they are…

Jesse Reiswig:  Oh, Jesse, I love you…

Mujan: Oh, Mujan, can I ever get you to love me…?

Michael Paul Garneau: You are SO right!

Les P: I wasn’t aware of Brian destroying tapes. My impression during that visit to Bellagio, was that Brian was frantic and falling apart. All those negative forces were falling in on him. I didn’t get the music I heard. He played several different versions but I couldn’t sort them out. He was clearly on drugs, and it was the last time I was interested in seeing him. There was nothing I could do to help him…

Don Malcolm: Again, you save the day! I love you, too…

Add Some: Good question. Yes, Brian was apprehensive, and he was right to feel that way. He knew how difficult it was going to be with ML. Carl and Al, and Dennis for the vocals, not the drums, of course, weren’t going to be a problem. But anything that wasn’t going to drag in more groupies (many ultimately wives) for ML wasn’t going to sit well with him. If I remember correctly, his first question was, “How are we going to perform this?, and he was right to feel that way, too. A big change that changed everything.

MrRobinsonsFather: I’m not sure what you mean. I left the relationship just before he moved from Laurel Way. I saw him the last time much later for one day at the Bellagio house. I had been living in Japan for a year in between. We met again around 1998 (I said a ‘few years,’ not a couple) in San Francisco for a day. You’ll have to help me to fill in the blanks you are perceiving…

Custom Machine: Every day with Brian was thrilling. A true musical genius and the sweetest person one could ever know. His greatest charm was his self-effacement. Tony Asher was my best friend for nine years and I loved him. Van Dyke is a true poet and a genius in his own right. In a town full of uneducated charlatans in a business dominated by the Mafia, Van Dyke and I were almost alone on a desert island. He spoke in poetry, and I am proud to say that I was one of the few around him who understood virtually everything he said. It is why we became friends. Both highly educated, we understood each other’s language. I was eager to introduce him to Brian, and it made his fortune.

Micha: My hero was Humphrey Bogart, a famous expectorator of insults. It’s in my DNA. Can you handle it? As for the Sixties, it has been said that if you remember it, you weren’t there. The ‘comfy chair’ and the lines quoted are from a sketch by Monty Python. If you don’t know who Monty Python is, you are truly a mindless prick. Don’t faint, just kidding…

Wild-Honey: I’m not sure I understand what you mean about being first to like a band. Can you elaborate? It sounds like a question I would like to answer.  As to the second: “Anyway,  Lorren,  maybe  Marilyn was just scared to death of drugs, rather than trying to hold him back? Maybe she also didn't fit in with the crowd and felt intimidated?” Yes, all of that is true, and I don’t fault her for that. What I object to is that she was his wife, his life’s companion. If she wasn’t up to it, why did she marry him and take on the responsibility (a true and heavy burden at the time) of covering for him, for supporting him, for backing him up in difficult situations, to act as if she truly loved him instead of being completely obsessed with herself and her own needs? It is unforgivable, and I won’t give her an inch. If you can’t handle the job, Marilyn, get out and let him find someone like Melinda who can…

Lorren Daro

« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 02:22:23 AM by Lorren Daro » Logged
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #347 on: January 23, 2015, 01:58:29 AM »

Thank you for the mindful reading of our posts and the calm response.

Micha: My hero was Humphrey Bogart, a famous expectorator of insults. It’s in my DNA. Can you handle it? As for the Sixties, it has been said that if you remember it, you weren’t there. The ‘comfy chair’ and the lines quoted are from a sketch by Monty Python. If you don’t know who Monty Python is, you are truly a mindless prick. Don’t faint, just kidding…

Actually "THE COMFY CHAIR??!? Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked" is Terry Gilliam's response line (wiggling his eyes like those smileys) to Michael Palin's line "Cardinal Fang, fetch the Comfy Chair!" This was one of the first sketches from the Monty Python's Flying Circus TV series I ever saw, and thanks a lot to Terry Jones for buying the orignal tapes from the BBC who would have erased them hadn't he bought them. Seems like I know a lot more about Monty Python than you do, Mr. Daro. Still thanks to you for sharing your perspective of the mid-1960s events in Brian's life.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 02:05:09 AM by Micha » Logged

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: January 23, 2015, 02:00:56 AM »

Thank you, Lorren, for taking the time to answer my question and so many others. Even, it might be pointed out, those from your detractors.

If anyone still doubts that you are who you say you are, I don't think there's much that can be done at this point.

I love the thought of you and VDP (I assume that's who you meant) arriving at Brian's front door, him opening it in foam ears and feet and then, awkwardly, nobody mentioning it. Priceless, and worth the price of admission alone!

I think there's more than enough here to keep us going for a while.

There's been suggestions by AGD on the board that I have some sort of vested interest in clearing your name. Far from it. Just disagreed with the tone and basis of the insults hurled your way since Beautiful Dreamer was released. Rather than pollute this thread further I will happily discuss that in the sandbox with anyone who suspects the same.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 06:06:48 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: January 23, 2015, 02:01:23 AM »

Yeah, that was a great post Lorren.  I really enjoyed it.  Though I will point out, you'll find quite a few of us here that adore the works of VDP - with Brian or otherwise.  Anyway, thanks for taking the time to share with us.  I'm looking forward to reading more.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 28 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx