gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:09:34 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 28 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Lorren Daro Thread  (Read 233722 times)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: January 22, 2015, 09:17:23 AM »

we're getting gifts that don't happen in Smiley Smiledom nearly enough.

Among them Brian Wilson himself on the board as a member and answering questions.

Just keeping it in perspective.  Wink

Brian potentially answering questions, as to date , he hasn't answered any. 

Just keeping it in perspective.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
SenorPotatoHead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: January 22, 2015, 09:23:00 AM »

Concerning the lyric issue:  he did, it seemed to me, acknowledge his error on this, or at least his error in how he worded himself, in his last, long, post.

It seems incredible to me that just in these past few days we suddenly have Lorren Daro, Mike Love and Brian Wilson all presenting themselves here.   This is really by chance, coincidence, synchronicity?   Now that's groovy!  
This is the most exciting thing to happen on this board since....since....well, for me, ever!   Happy Dance

Agreements with others though who have stated that we can all have a discussion without resorting to truly repugnant means of expression.  There are ways to express negative/contrary opinions and/or thoughts without being stupid and foul mouthed.

Question for Lorren:  What have you against Vega-Tables, exactly?   That it is, seemingly, a silly, child-like song?   Does everything need to be so serious and lofty?   What about some good old fashioned goofy, silly fun?   Just asking.
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: January 22, 2015, 09:55:27 AM »

But I guess my point and question would be the collateral damage to the whole "sphere."  And whether there was some kind of "agency relationship" between the two persons.  Meaning as between Brian and Mr. Daro.  Did he have a duty, by extension, to the band, if he was a manager to protect him, and thus protect the band as well, by extension? Now, I'm looking at legal and moral issues.  

And Mikie is correct on potency.

Maybe Mr. Daro should say he is sorry, even if he was "asked" to procure the stuff for his "error in judgment."  Brian is on our forum!

Maybe it is time. Just sayin'.   Wink

Mr. Daro said that he was a tour manager for a brief time in 1963.  By 1965 he was no longer working for the band, and was just a friend of Brian's.  No legal issues there.

While Mikie is correct that LSD was more potent then, it was also a cleaner dose.

As much as we do know now about how LSD can affect some people, we do not know exactly how it affected Brian.  We know that it may have played a role in Brian's downward slide, but considering all the other substances that he and half of L.A. were taking, and the mental health issues that he was born with, we just don't know.  But let's for a minute assume that the LSD played a significant role in Brian's decline.  Does Mr. Daro owe Brian an apology?  Well, he said that they spent the day together in the Bay area a few years ago talking about old times.  Perhaps he apologized then.   
SinisterSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: January 22, 2015, 09:57:00 AM »

Ex.  The Post-LSD Syndrome: Diagnosis and Treatment by Irwin I. Roth. "The author proposes the recognition of a condition, which he terms The Post LSD Syndrome, in which patients who have had prior experience with LSD experience a triad of distressing symptoms, the triad of unique symptoms consists of a sleep disturbance, anxiety and forms of mental instability which are described in detail.  These symptoms can occur after decades of even one exposure to LSD.  The author describes in detail a variety if case studied which illustrate the various forms of pathology which the condition can manifest.

Typical cases which consist of a fairly clear and direct presentation of the basic triad of symptoms are described, as are atypical cases in which other symptoms may appear to predominate, such as depression and addictions.  Situations in which other conditions may coexist with The LSD-Syndrome and in which they reenforce each other, such as PTSD, are also described.

In all fairness, back in the mid 60s when people started popping trips like it was going out of fashion, few had any idea of what the long term effects of LSD could do to them.

Plus it was undiluted acid back then, very strong, and much different than today's LSD.

I was under the impression that LSD back then is basically the same as it is now. That 125ug from the 60's would be the same as 125ug today, provided they were dosed correctly.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #304 on: January 22, 2015, 10:07:41 AM »

Nope. It was much, much purer, much more potent.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #305 on: January 22, 2015, 10:12:43 AM »

Mr. Daro said that he was a tour manager for a brief time in 1963. 

I checked with two people on that. Fred Vail vaguely recalled the name (Lorren Schwartz, not Daro) and allowed that he might have been tour manager for a short time... David Marks had never heard of the name at all.

LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: January 22, 2015, 10:19:08 AM »

Mr. Daro said that he was a tour manager for a brief time in 1963. 

I checked with two people on that. Fred Vail vaguely recalled the name (Lorren Schwartz, not Daro) and allowed that he might have been tour manager for a short time... David Marks had never heard of the name at all.

Hmmm.  Might have been, then?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #307 on: January 22, 2015, 10:32:02 AM »

Fred says maybe, David says never heard of him. Go figure.

Somewhat more pertinent was Lorren's response on his blog last night when informed that VDP had tweeted “I confirm Lorren Daro’s account of the 60s: an inconvenient truth, in its candor. Never judge a book by its movie!”

"Wow! What a relief that VDP posted that Twitter! What a slap in the face for all those mindless pricks that inhabit that Website. I love him so much…

Thanks for letting me know, dear Buddhahat…"

Odd how buddhahat neglected to clue us in about that...  still, nice of Mr. Daro to come back to straighten things out with us mindless pricks. I may be a prick now and then, but I'm not mindless.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 10:32:54 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #308 on: January 22, 2015, 10:37:24 AM »

To prove this we'll have to run some experiments on Andrew using current LSD and a stack of Carol Kaye documentation in a controlled environment.

LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: January 22, 2015, 10:38:09 AM »

Fred says maybe, David says never heard of him. Go figure.

Somewhat more pertinent was Lorren's response on his blog last night when informed that VDP had tweeted “I confirm Lorren Daro’s account of the 60s: an inconvenient truth, in its candor. Never judge a book by its movie!”

"Wow! What a relief that VDP posted that Twitter! What a slap in the face for all those mindless pricks that inhabit that Website. I love him so much…

Odd how buddhahat neglected to clue us in about that...  still, nice of Mr. Daro to come back to straighten things out with us mindless pricks. I may be a prick now and then, but I'm not mindless.

You're not a prick...just a hard workin' guy.  Wink

edit:  There are some mindless pricks here, though.

Kidding...I kid. angel
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 10:41:47 AM by LostArt » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #310 on: January 22, 2015, 10:43:28 AM »

According to him, I'm a mindless prick - we all are - and he knows. He was here.  Grin

Seriously, if you're trying to rebuild an already tarnished image, that's really, really not going to help.

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: January 22, 2015, 10:44:52 AM »

I bet our guests don't expect the Spanish Inquisition when they come here to share.

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition! Cardinal Fang, fetch the Comfy Chair!

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: January 22, 2015, 10:49:35 AM »

I bet our guests don't expect the Spanish Inquisition when they come here to share.

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition! Cardinal Fang, fetch the Comfy Chair!

And a cup of coffee at 11:00.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: January 22, 2015, 10:49:49 AM »

You've made many derogatory remarks about Lorren Daro here so I'm sure you're one if the people he's referring to. Does his response surprise you? Can you really claim it's unjustified in light of the vitriol you've directed towards him, in part, about his appearance - something he has no control over?

And why would I post his comments here? What good would it do? It might seem like I was suggesting you are all mindless pr*cks (which I'm not btw). There's just no rational reason I would share that info with you when you can find it out for yourself. The only info I recounted from his site was stuff I thought would be interesting to the board.

I throw the towel in here. I think it's a great shame that some seem hell bent on stirring up more controversy when we have an opportunity of maybe finding out some more interesting details about this period.

Looking forward to BW on Monday. Let's hope AGD, the human fact-checker, doesn't sabotage that opportunity too.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 10:59:51 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #314 on: January 22, 2015, 10:56:58 AM »

As I said, for anyone wanting to improve their perceived image, it's a really dumb thing to do.

And yes, of course it's directed at me, and all the others looking at his piece and thinking either "that sort of language isn't necessary" or "something not quite right here", or both. It's very hard to have an unbiased view on someone who's just called you a mindless prick, essentially behind your back. My name's not Mohandas K. Ghandi.

SinisterSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: January 22, 2015, 11:09:40 AM »

But weight is weight, 125ug back then is still 125ug today.

Sure it was more readily available and reliably dosed back then, but that same chemical still exists today.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: January 22, 2015, 11:12:34 AM »

I, for one, vote in favor of hearing everything Daro has to say.  The bickering going on here is needless noise.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #317 on: January 22, 2015, 11:16:52 AM »

Me too...Let's not chase the guy away again...or do something to spark him into typing a response that'll get this thread closed and removed too.  Been there.  Done that.  Got the T-Shirt...and it reads "We're Habitually Stupid!!!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just to ne 100% clear here..."WE'RE" is pointed at ALL of us and not at ANY single entity particiapting in this or in the previous thread.  We all share in the collective vibe...me included.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 11:43:16 AM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #318 on: January 22, 2015, 11:19:46 AM »

Sure it was more readily available and reliably dosed back then, but that same chemical still exists today.

Beer is beer, but there's 2.1%. 3.0%. 4.4%...

SinisterSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: January 22, 2015, 11:24:46 AM »

Beer is beer, but there's 2.1%. 3.0%. 4.4%...

I mean, I get that. But the point I'm trying to make is that LSD doses of the same 60's purity still do exist, even if they're not as common.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 11:58:59 AM by SinisterSmile » Logged
Jesse Reiswig
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: January 22, 2015, 11:53:17 AM »

Been following this alternately fascinating and disheartening thread for the last day or two.

My main question is: Why must Lorren Daro be right for his contributions to this forum to be valuable? He is not a scholar, he is not a professional expert writing a history of the band or Brian Wilson. He is a participant in the story at a particular period of time, and anyone who has done in-depth research or conducted interviews knows that the memories of participants can be wildly divergent, and often incorrect.

The value of what Lorren might have to contribute is not in its factual accuracy, but in his perspective. You may think his perspective is wrong on many issues, but that doesn't make it valueless. His perspective--especially when very different from the consensus--is exactly what makes his comments potentially interesting to us. We don't have to agree with them, and it's perfectly fine to personally believe they may be skewed by an agenda, but exploring them with him, by weaving another voice into the fabric, can only make our understanding of this time period fuller. Just use your brains, the confirmed facts, and your own judgment to evaluate the accuracy or potential accuracy of what you're hearing.

One specific comment: It's not really so surprising Daro might not remember being at the "Help Me, Rhonda" session, even if he was, in fact, there. After all, the infamous dialogue tape suggests very little of value was recorded that day. Perhaps Daro has no memory of being at a Rhonda session because it wasn't even apparent what they were recording that day?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 12:20:54 PM by Jesse Reiswig » Logged
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #321 on: January 22, 2015, 12:13:57 PM »

Been following this alternately fascinating and disheartening thread for the last day or two.

My main question is: Why must Lorren Daro be right for his contributions to this forum to be valuable? He is not a scholar, he is not a professional expert writing a history of the band or Brian Wilson. He is a participant in the story at a particular period of time, and anyone who has done in-depth research or conducted interviews knows that the memories of participants can be wildly divergent, and often incorrect.

The value of what Lorren might have to contribute is not in its factual accuracy, but in his perspective. You may think his perspective is wrong on many issues, but that doesn't make it valueless. His perspective--especially when very different from the consensus--is exactly what makes his comments potentially interesting to us. We don't have to agree with them, and it's perfectly fine to personally believe they may be skewed by an agenda, but exploring them with him, by weaving another voice into the fabric, can only make our understanding of this time period fuller. Just use your brains, the confirmed facts, and your own judgment to evaluate the accuracy or potential accuracy of what you're hearing.

One specific comment: It's not really so surprising Daro might not remember being at the "Help Me, Rhonda" session, even if he was, in fact, there. After all, the infamous dialogue tape suggests very little of value was recorded. Perhaps Daro has no memory of being at a Rhonda session because it wasn't even apparent what they were recording that day?

Finally a voice of reason. What he said.
SenorPotatoHead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: January 22, 2015, 12:22:46 PM »

I would like to suggest also, the idea that "being right" or "correct" as far as ones opinions on nouns (e.g. people, places and things) such as Daro has presented, is often dependent on each persons particular view point/perspective.   Meaning: when it comes to events that happen there is often not simply one black and white "truth" to it.

Not to pick on Marilyn at all, but by way of example: in the moment and time of some of these events she may have impressed some people as, shall we say - "not at her best".  Even though really, and particularly NOW, she is very likely an incredibly sweet and wonderful human being.  
We really are all "heroes and villains".   This human condition we all inhabit is a ridiculously intricate, nuanced and malleable thing.   There could never be a coin with enough sides to flip on the variables involved.  
Tricycle Rider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: January 22, 2015, 12:24:35 PM »

One specific comment: It's not really so surprising Daro might not remember being at the "Help Me, Rhonda" session, even if he was, in fact, there. After all, the infamous dialogue tape suggests very little of value was recorded. Perhaps Daro has no memory of being at a Rhonda session because it wasn't even apparent what they were recording that day?

Finally a voice of reason. What he said.

What they said.  Smiley

Some of our forum members suffer from an acute form of cynicism resulting in a complete lack of patience and manners in the face of anything joyful or optimistic. Try to humor them as best you can for the time being, and one day, with your help, we will find a cure for this devastating disease. This has been a public service announcement.
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #324 on: January 22, 2015, 12:25:27 PM »

As I said, for anyone wanting to improve their perceived image, it's a really dumb thing to do.

And yes, of course it's directed at me, and all the others looking at his piece and thinking either "that sort of language isn't necessary" or "something not quite right here", or both. It's very hard to have an unbiased view on someone who's just called you a mindless prick, essentially behind your back. My name's not Mohandas K. Ghandi.

I agree. I understand being angry with me, but "mindless pricks" seems like a particularly juvenile and somewhat unwarranted insult. "Overzealous" "SJW" "moral crusader" even "white knights" I could understand. But mindless? The complaints against him were entirely warranted considering what he said. Pricks? Well, you started the name-calling, not I. I think I'm a pretty even-tempered, conciliatory person for the most part. Only times when I lost my cool were to Mikie and you, Daro, and I believe I was completely justified in both instances.

I have to agree, that insult and the further inaccuracies and contradictions in your story, only further reinforces my initial impression. Just sayin'.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 12:26:27 PM by Mujan, B@st@rd Son of a Blue Wizard » Logged

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 28 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx