gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:32:14 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 28 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Lorren Daro Thread  (Read 233874 times)
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: January 21, 2015, 12:58:50 PM »

I think some people are giving far too much creedence to the opinions of a guy whose one claim to fame in life is turning Brian Wilson onto acid for the first time.

He's a glorified acid/weed hookup looking to make a name for himself.

I don't see any justification for the narrow minded stereotype being pushed here of Daro as some sort of degenerate drug pusher. Whether you do or don't believe daro's claims that he resisted Brian's requests for drugs for quite some time, what on earth is wrong with Daro supplying cannabis and LSD to Brian in the first place? Really? Should we blame Bob Dylan for turning The Beatles on? Or is that different because the beatles didn't go on to endure severe mental health problems - something that Lorren Daro couldn't possibly have anticipated at the time? Why aren't we piling in to Danny Hutton for supplying Brian with drugs, or whoever else gave him speed and coke (probably far more detrimental to his psychological well being)? The BB story is littered with far worse examples of irresponsibility around drugs. As has been argued before, BW was not a child. He was a fully grown adult. People here seem to blame Daro for somehow not fulfilling his responsibilities as a glorified child minder. These were young, successful men experimenting with drugs IN THE 60s for crying out loud. I had friends hook me up with drugs as a teenager (younger than Brian was at the time) and it didn't play out well for me on several occasions. Who do I hold responsible for those bad trips, bad comedowns etc? Me and me alone.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 01:10:19 PM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 21, 2015, 01:09:02 PM »

Finally, I find it surprising that you haven't at least expressed a passing interest in VDP's latest quote. Does this not also strengthen Daro's recollectons? Or are you also struggling with the 'inconvenience' that VDP alludes to? I would be interested to hear your take on the comment, and on VDP's integrity. From other corners of the board I can already see it being called into question based on VDP's lack of positivity towards Brian of late.

No, it doesn't strengthen Darro's recollections in any way or form, because it's not about them. VDP says he can "confirm Lorren Daro's account of the 60s", not that he can confirm the specifics of what Darro has said about Brian. For someone who chooses his words as carefully as he does, that's a significant difference. I didn't comment on it because I figured everyone else would similarly pick up on what Van Dyke said... or didn't.

Sorry, I'm not with you. Yes VDP is not being specific by using the phrase "Lorren Daro's account of the 60s" - but it is twitter remember so he doesn't have much room to focus. However, in light of the timing, it's fair to assume VDP is referring to Daro's essay. What else could he be referring to? I wasn't suggesting that VDP was specifically endorsing Daro's claims about GV and IJWMFTT. I was arguing however that VDP's support of Daro and his essay strengthens Daro's claims in the essay and his credibility as a source IF, like me, you trust the credibility of VDP as a source.

If you are seriously arguing that VDP is NOT referring to the essay in question but some other hypothetical account of the 60s that Daro made somewhere off the record, then I really see no point in continuing this discussion with you as that is just not rational imo. Maybe I misunderstood you?

Why doesn't someone go on Twitter and politely ask VDP to what specifically is he referring to in his tweet?

We know VDP doesn't like being pinned down on his words and I reckon that stretches to twitter too. A private email might be a better approach if anybody knows his address?

In honesty though, I don't see any ambiguity in his phrasing. He is making a very public show of support for Daro's essay. Those who can't entertain Daro's side of events conveniently choose to ignore the tweet, or reconstrue it to their own ends. Whether he spells it out or not I think people have chosen their sides on this one.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 21, 2015, 01:10:14 PM »

He made nasty personal attacks on people he'd actually known.  I don't get why people took it so personally and act like he's attacked their grandmother.  Is it not better to act with a little detachment, remember that he's a part of the history and we're (mostly) just internet dweebs, and learn what you can from such a person, even if he appears dislikable?  Argue with his points, sure, and discount what you don't believe, but I don't see the point of laying into him with such ferocity on a personal level that he then leaves.  He probably would've chilled out a bit.

I wonder sometimes just what and how much VDP is holding back.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #228 on: January 21, 2015, 01:19:42 PM »

I think some people are giving far too much creedence to the opinions of a guy whose one claim to fame in life is turning Brian Wilson onto acid for the first time.

He's a glorified acid/weed hookup looking to make a name for himself.

I don't see any justification for the narrow minded stereotype being pushed here of Daro as some sort of degenerate drug pusher. Whether you do or don't believe daro's claims that he resisted Brian's requests for drugs for quite some time, what on earth is wrong with Daro supplying cannabis and LSD to Brian in the first place? Really? Should we blame Bob Dylan for turning The Beatles on? Or is that different because the beatles didn't go on to endure severe mental health problems - something that Lorren Daro couldn't possibly have anticipated at the time? Why aren't we piling in to Danny Hutton for supplying Brian with drugs, or whoever else gave him speed and coke (probably far more detrimental to his psychological well being)? The BB story is littered with far worse examples of irresponsibility around drugs. As has been argued before, BW was not a child. He was a fully grown adult. People here seem to blame Daro for somehow not fulfilling his responsibilities as a glorified child minder. These were young, successful men experimenting with drugs IN THE 60s for crying out loud. I had friends hook me up with drugs as a teenager (younger than Brian was at the time) and it didn't play out well for me on several occasions. Who do I hold responsible for those bad trips, bad comedowns etc? Me and me alone.

Just to throw this out there...

Speaking only for myself...

My issue with Mr. Daro has nothing to do with drugs, as #1- Brian was a grown man and could make his own decisions (and would've gotten it from anyone else) and 2) I make Tommy Chong look like Pat Boone, so that'd be hypocritical. My own feelings were stated earlier,so no sense repeating myself, but I wanted to be very clear.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 21, 2015, 01:31:47 PM »

Bottom line (for me) : he was abusive to a fellow board member -- that is, Brian Wilson, and thus, the mods made a correct decision in deleting the thread. If Brian hadn't joined, should the thread have been deleted? That's another question, one which is thankfully moot.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 01:32:40 PM by clack » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 21, 2015, 01:35:37 PM »

Is it time to open the bar?

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #231 on: January 21, 2015, 01:39:52 PM »

I have never, at least in this discussion, stated that I have any problem with him supplying drugs to Brian. As stated before, several times, my problems are with his changing his story every time its told, contradicting himself when it suits, talking nonsense about the 1991 book (which even you cannot deny), coming across as an obnoxious, self-serving and unpleasantly bitter individual and protesting too much. In court on the witness stand, any half-way competent lawyer would make mincemeat of him.

I note that in the original 2012 thread on this article, you were also supportive of Darro from the beginning. Whilst I applaud your consistency, I also have to consider there might be some kind of a vested interest.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 21, 2015, 01:41:54 PM »

My issue with Mr. Daro has nothing to do with drugs, as #1- Brian was a grown man and could make his own decisions (and would've gotten it from anyone else)

Agreed 110%, I posted what I posted eariler because when someone pisses over so many people from such a great height, they need bringing back down to earth somewhat.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 01:43:38 PM by Mike's Beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #233 on: January 21, 2015, 01:42:23 PM »

Why doesn't someone go on Twitter and politely ask VDP to what specifically is he referring to in his tweet?

A capital notion, young Cameron. Why are you waiting ?

Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 21, 2015, 01:53:11 PM »

You know, reading the thread from 2012 (which I've just done: thanks Avan Todd) is very illuminating. Andrew dismisses Daro as a fraud in #4 and is absent from that point on. At which point, the next five pages of the thread actually attempt to suss out Loren Daro in the context of the times that he (apparently) just wasn't made for.

Everyone who has been in this thread should go back and read it in its entirety. Because you will see that a great and interesting thread turned sour and filled with snarky one-liners. Prior to that, however, a great deal of informative and open-minded speculation about the 1965-67 period ensues, including this superb post from one of our esteemed (and I do mean that unironically...ESTEEMED) moderators, guitarfool2002. Read it, please, and understand why several of us here are so tenaciously arguing for open-mindedness even in the face of bad behavior (Daro's!!!) and instant skepticism/hostility.

A final note before the quote: should you peruse it (and it does get depressingly familiar to many threads here...), you'll see that ontor was able to initiate an email exchange with Daro that was partially uploaded into the thread. Also worth reading, even in its fragmentary state.

I don't know if this is legit but the first 8 paragraphs are very much like what Loren Darro told me in phone conversation some 10 or 12 years ago. Stuff like the 125 mics of Owsley and the fingering of Terry Sachen for instance were in our conversation and I don't remember that stuff being published anywhere publically. Anyways, whether this was posted by Loren or not I can't say but that first bit is the same things Loren told me save the bit about Brian faking to get off the road I don't remembering coming up.

I urge everyone to read what Cam wrote here, and try to weave it into this newly-posted article supposedly from Loren. I trust Cam Mott's research and history of actually searching out and talking with these people at a time when Smile and the history of it were nowhere near as "open" as the topics as they are now in light of the past 10 years. Listen to Cam!  Smiley

A few quick points from me: First, the one about Tony Asher. This info can be found in other books and sources, but it remains a fact that Loren and Tony Asher did go to school together and were friends. The anecdote about how Tony and Brian got together either starts at Western Studios as early as 63-64 when Tony was there recording advertising jingles for his agency and Brian was there making his music, and Tony introduced Brian to Loren. OR, it was a case of that meeting being a random, inconsequential thing and Brian connected with Tony during one of the meetings/gatherings being held at Loren's place, which led to Brian getting his number later and asking if he wished to write with him on the album that became Pet Sounds.

This is fact, there was a connection, we can and have established that. No B.S.

About IJWMFTT - Writers carry ideas around on notebooks, slips of paper, or even in their memory sometimes for years until they come out in the right song...it does not seem implausible that, having known each other and traveled in the same circles since they were teenagers, that an Asher lyric which he crafted around something with Loren or his life would later manifest itself in a song he was working on with Brian, and in the Pet Sounds context, a song which took on a meaning about Brian...of course it's speculation, of course one way to confirm would be to ask, but the *possibility* to me is not something to dismiss entirely because of who is saying it. It is very possible, same thing with perhaps lyrical themes or ideas that would come out in that original, more trippy lyric theme of the Pet Sounds "Good Vibrations".

I can't get out of my mind how many of that "inner circle" around 65-66 which became Brian's Smile crew and close confidantes have said there are issues they do not discuss and have not discussed, and how some versions of stories we have all heard are not exactly the way it played out. Look at an older Mark Volman interview for an example of this, mentioning a specific aspect of it that was nowhere to found in his writing for the Smile box set. And several prominent characters in that same Smile saga were regular visitors to and friends of...Loren. It could be said Brian gravitated to that scene and they in turn gravitated toward Brian and what he was doing musically and otherwise. Judge for yourself the results we have seen...

Re: Marilyn. Pure, unbridled speculation here, but hear me out. Several of the Smile crew, including Anderle, have gone on record saying Murry Wilson was waging a not-so-secret campaign against Brian's friends at this time, and drugs were one of the main issues. They said someone did in fact find surveillance devices in Brian's car, and was there not rumor about Murry hiring people to track Brian and his friends? What if it was implied Brian's wife had been involved in something which led to something else which caused some trouble for some of those friends, and it may have been connected to Murry's "War On Drugs" surrounding his sons which was less well-known than his active campaign to criticize Brian and get these newcomers out of his life and music?

Speculation aside, Murry was doing these things...perhaps some felt he had more help than should have been given?

I know, wild, WILD speculation but it is something to consider.

And don't think we know even 1% of what really happened during this time. We can't read interviews and books and even pretend to know anything close to what things were like on, say, a random night in May 1966 when Brian might either be hanging with Loren, eating on the Sunset Strip, watching Gilligan's Island on TV, playing a game of catch, or bowling with the Rovell family, or any normal daily activity which may have had some significance to something much bigger and which we simply will never know.

I wouldn't write it off so easily until we know for sure that the article itself can be authenticated.

NOTE: modified after posting to correct misspelling of Avan Todd's name...
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 01:58:42 PM by Don Malcolm » Logged
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 21, 2015, 02:09:34 PM »

I have never, at least in this discussion, stated that I have any problem with him supplying drugs to Brian. As stated before, several times, my problems are with his changing his story every time its told, contradicting himself when it suits, talking nonsense about the 1991 book (which even you cannot deny), coming across as an obnoxious, self-serving and unpleasantly bitter individual and protesting too much. In court on the witness stand, any half-way competent lawyer would make mincemeat of him.

I note that in the original 2012 thread on this article, you were also supportive of Darro from the beginning. Whilst I applaud your consistency, I also have to consider there might be some kind of a vested interest.

AGD I wasn't directing the above comments at you.

As for a vested interest - no, not at all. I don't know the man and had no contact with him prior to posting on his web page yesterday. Actually, I have a feeling I was defending Daro before the 2012 thread, probably back when beautiful dreamer came out, but I can't find the relevant threads. Back then his (admittedly awkward) comments about Marilyn hadn't been made yet and so the negative reaction I witnessed on this board was, as far as I could tell, based solely on his appearance in the documentary. I interpreted this as prejudice pure and simple and it touched a nerve somewhere. I also feel he was a victim of the editing. I don't see anything in his comments in beautiful dreamer, or his laughing, that warranted the type of vitriol he received prior to his 2012 essay.

As for the Marilyn comments, I can understand why some here were shocked. She comes across in interviews that I've watched as a nice person, one who still cares for Brian - a good egg. But I've never met the woman or spent significant amounts of time with her, during a probably crazy but highly stressful period. Who's opinion is more reliable here - mine or Daro's? I'd argue Daro's by a mile and even if it's refuted by many other acquaintances of Marilyn's, at the end of the day, Mr Daro is entitled to his opinion.

Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 21, 2015, 02:16:29 PM »

did anyone else notice daro was logged in on the board and reading this post a few minutes ago? wonder why he did not post a comment or two.....

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #237 on: January 21, 2015, 02:20:03 PM »

As for the Marilyn comments, I can understand why some here were shocked. She comes across in interviews that I've watched as a nice person, one who still cares for Brian - a good egg. But I've never met the woman or spent significant amounts of time with her, during a probably crazy but highly stressful period. Who's opinion is more reliable here - mine or Daro's? I'd argue Daro's by a mile and even if it's refuted by many other acquaintances of Marilyn's, at the end of the day, Mr Daro is entitled to his opinion.

You will, however, agree that he is hardly an impartial witness. He sees Marilyn as a prime mover in blackening his name. On the other hand, she saw him as the man who changed her husband forever.

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 21, 2015, 02:54:35 PM »

Lorren was presenting his experiences and understandings. Sure he could have expressed himself differently and he seemed to be reconsidering that maybe when everything went south. Anyways I hope things can settle down and we get to explore his understandings and opinions further. It should be part of the record.

What little contact I had with Loren a longish while back he was very warm and friendly and intelligent and I believe he had a big influence on Brian's spirituality I guess you could say. Maybe things got off on a wrong foot but I suggest we don't form our opinion of him from what little we know about him now. There is a lot more to him than this I believe.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 21, 2015, 04:01:45 PM »

Can we come to a consensus on how to spell his first name AND his last name, though?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 06:20:48 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: January 21, 2015, 04:21:28 PM »

Lorren Daro (formerly Loren Schwartz)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 02:56:12 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Lorren Daro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 21, 2015, 04:39:11 PM »

PLEASE BE KIND AND IGNORE THIS POST. IT WAS DONE IN ERROR WHEN I CLICKED AND COPIED THE WRONG 'WORD' DOCUMENT. IN CASE YOU'RE INTERESTED, THE 5mg DOSE IS FOR PROSTATE PROBLEMS, NOT SEXUAL ONES.

To Eliseo and all that may have helped...

Hooray! Well-Care has approved your request to lower the Tier from Four to Two.

Instead of $225 for 90 tabs of Cialis 5mg, I will now pay $97...

This will have to be approved again in one year, and a prior approval of the prescription will have to submitted again in July, but we'll deal with that later.

Many, many thanks...

Lorren Daro
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 11:02:57 PM by Lorren Daro » Logged
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 21, 2015, 04:42:15 PM »

I'm happy for you, buddy.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 21, 2015, 04:51:10 PM »

The f***? Your (daro) brain on drugs?Huh

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #244 on: January 21, 2015, 05:09:06 PM »

The f***? Your (daro) brain on drugs?Huh

Maybe it IS Van Dyke, and now that the secret's out he's just going full-troll?

Edit: Apparently Not
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 05:20:18 PM by Mujan, B@st@rd Son of a Blue Wizard » Logged

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #245 on: January 21, 2015, 05:09:32 PM »

Cialis is a drug, so I guess yeah.

Huh

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Lorren Daro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 21, 2015, 05:10:54 PM »

I voluntarily withdrew from this site, and not because Brian visited it, of which I was unaware. He appeared after I left. The invective was beyond my ability to respond. Grateful thanks to Don Malcom and Buddhahat, among others, for their reasoned and rational responses.

What else can a historian do than repeat what the principals told him? What else can he do than relate what he observed at the time? I am not here mainly to protect Brian, although I hope I can. I am here to serve the truth as I remember it.

Yes, I was wrong about Brian not writing ‘all’ the lyrics, and I posted that apology long ago. But, many of you don’t read or remember what has been posted, but insist on your own immediate, unfounded and uninformed opinions. Yes, Brian wrote the lyrics to several early songs, but had help that was not attributed due to Murry’s objections. Those early songs were mostly simplistic and elementary. The deeper, more meaningful lyrics that appeared later were credited collaborations.

What is all this ‘old man’ sh*t? I do not drink or use drugs. I am not ill. I smoked my last joint in 1981. I wrote a book on health supplements and lead a clean life. My mind is clear, as is my memory most of the time. Count the celebrities you see on TV that are my age, are they mentally disabled? Is Betty White? Is Barbara Walters? Is John McLaughlin? Is Dan Rather? Is Bill Moyers? Is Sean Connery? Is Clint Eastwood? Etc. Etc…

As to my ‘physical appearance’ on ‘Beautiful Dreamer’, I was 65 at the time. I didn’t look that bad. If  you’re objecting to my facial expressions, that’s who I am. I wonder how many of you would look good on TV. As Popeye said, “I yam what I yam, and that’s what I yam!”

Yes, Marilyn is a lovely, sweet person. But none of you were there when she refused to support Brian, when she yelled hysterically at him for every new thing he pursued that she, Mike, Murry and the Capitol executives objected to. SHE WAS NOT A LOYAL WIFE TO BRIAN! That is what I object to. And how could you know what went on in those days just by meeting her today? There is no insult to her that would be inappropriate. And, I don’t care if she’s the mother of Brian’s children – divorce courts are full of them.

Yes, I spelled Audree wrong. I apologize. Yes, I spelled Sachen wrong, I apologize. Just because few, or none of you, know this history doesn’t mean that it didn’t happen. Have I used anger and invective to present my case, yes, I intended to do that. Am I angry about the abuse I’ve endured. Yes. Am I angry about the abuse Brian has endured? Double yes. Why so many of you dismiss what I have posted because of the tone of my writing is beyond my understanding. This is my personality, which has grown out the injustice I have seen and experienced in this world. Since my youth, morality has taken a dive in America. I object to that. I am a man of moral seriousness, which is the heritage of my race. Take it or leave it.

Tony Asher was once my best friend. We had a falling out along the way, plus he tried hard to get my wife to leave me. My information about the origins of ‘Good Vibrations’ came directly from Brian. I’m not surprised that Tony refused to confirm my assertions. As for Brian’s appearance on the site, once again, I never read it. I left before he appeared. I would, however, have no problem having a dialogue with him anywhere, any time. As far as I know, we are still friends. We met in San Francisco a few years ago and spent a day together talking over old times. We spoke of much that I have written about and he had no objections or concerns to offer.

I have no objections to my posts being pulled from Steve Hoffman. I never posted them there to begin with. They just appeared there following my posts to this site. I don’t know why.

From ‘The Legendary OSD’:

“When all is said and done, and it's not yet, I'm going with the one who was there at the time. There is no more authentic take on any subject than being present with the players in the same setting at the time it went down. Nothing...nothing can substitute that experience. You may not like the man, or his point of view but don't judge him on a few posts, give credit where credit is due. He was infinitely closer to the scene than the majority here. In other words, let's not shoot the messenger because someone here thinks they know better. Were you there in the mid sixties? Did you experience being with Brian and his family like this guy did, huh? Quite honestly, I'd like to see as much light as he cares to shed about all things Beach Boys because there is much more to learn regardless of who you are or what you think you know.”

Thank you, Legendary, for this. Would that many of your members have the same kindness of heart…

Many of the criticisms I have been trying to answer appeared on the WordPress site when I first posted the essay. My intention was to carry over these issues to this site in order to reach a wider BW audience. I know most of you were not aware of this contentious debate. I’m sorry for the confusion over the timing.

For the record, when I first posted my essay on WordPress, Van Dyke Parks and David Leaf both wrote me praising the piece. For the record: I still love Van Dyke, and I know he loves me.

Van Dyke just posted this on Twitter. "I confirm Lorren Daro's account of the 60s: an inconvenient truth, in its candor. Never judge a book by its movie!"

Van Dyke was there for much of the history I related. His ‘Why wasn’t I told…’ line was a sarcasm. He lived much of it with me. He was there as I was. He felt the same about Marilyn and the entire crew of assholes I wrote about. Again, these were a few terrible people, not everyone around Brian. The villains were, specifically: Mike, Murry, Marilyn, Sachen and the Capitol executives. They are all welcome to charge me with libel. I would be happy to appear in court to defend my positions, or to dialogue with them in any way they choose.

It’s important that you all know that life with Brian in those days was rife with lies. People lying to Brian: Brian lying to protect his real feelings intentions, desires and feelings. I was not the only one he didn’t lie to. He was straight with Anderle, with Van Dyke, with Vosse most of the time, with Carl, and several others.  Most everyone around him had their own agendas. I had none except to be his friend and advisor when he obviously needed one. I was there to confront and take issue with the people around him who wanted to use him, to exploit him, to make money from him. I am trying to expose these bastards for what they were, and probably still are. Murry, the helping father – NOT! Marilyn, the loving and supportive wife – NOT! Capitol, the encouraging executives – NOT! Mike, the protective pal – NOT! Sachen, the helpful assistant – NOT! Faced with this rogue’s gallery, who wouldn’t lie all the time.

Once again, since I was the villain of the piece, Brian could not, once our journey was over, sound supportive of me in any way. Just mentioning my name would find him in a sh*t-storm. He quickly learned cover stories for the songs, the LSD, the ideas I presented. These cover stories have been cast in stone for so long that even Brian must now believe some of them. None of that is my concern. My purpose is to expose these true villains for what they are: the ones who made Brian’s life miserable and helped to drive him to the mental problems that still plague him. One more time, I love and have always loved Brian. I take this sh*t from most of you to help him, to exonerate both he and myself. To show that someone understood what he faced at the time.

Please remember that the three years following his LSD experience were the most creative of his entire artistic life. After that, the bullshit he got from that list of true villains finally got to him, plus the bad drugs, the food, the conflicts with his wife, the problems with his ideas for new albums, and a host of other issues. I was long gone by then. Keep in mind that Mike called “Good Vibrations” “…a bunch of avant-guard sh*t.” Doesn’t that tell you something? So he wrote a 'hook' -- big deal...

For the record: Brian was driving – very well – during the later hours of his LSD trip. It was easy. His habit at the time was to drive around for hours in West Hollywood turning every two blocks, blasting the radio and thinking. It was second nature for him, so there was no danger. If there had been, I’d have stepped in.

All right, enough…

I’ll keep reading the posts, although it’s upsetting. I will keep track of the issues and post a reply when I feel it’s right. Enough support for me has been shown so far that I’m newly encouraged to continue.

Lorren Daro
Lorren Daro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 21, 2015, 05:19:22 PM »

The Cialis reply was posted in error. I accidentally copied an email to my doctor...  The drug is used for a prostate problem, not for recreational use -- which I don't need it for.  Sorry...  Lorren Daro -- spelled: Lorren Daro
MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 21, 2015, 05:54:22 PM »

My main concern when all this started was is this guy an imposter, just some "fan" trying to play a game.The board has seen quite a few over the years.
If this is the real Lorren Daro and I think it most probably is, we should respect him for Brian"s sake. In all the years Iv never heard Brian say anything negative about Lorren Daro the person. I've forgotten the interview, it might of been the Charlie Rose interview with the group, Lorren"s name gets brought up and Brian is the only one (other than David marks) that doesn't have anything negative to say.

Lorren I"am just thinking of the timeline, was it after the smile period that you had left or were you still around in the 70"s ?
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 21, 2015, 06:59:17 PM »

Lorren, I am interested to hear your take - including memories of any specific incidents - on the arc of the Smile project, particularly why it was not completed.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 07:35:23 PM by Les P » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 28 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx