gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:57:06 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 28 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Lorren Daro Thread  (Read 233806 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: January 21, 2015, 09:10:48 AM »

Backing up what Billy posted, again 110%. At this point, we have posted several explanations and clarifications on what is an ongoing issue. Both Billy's posts and my own specifically mentioned the time/schedule factor...where we are simply not able to be on the board 24/7 due to work, family, scheduling, and basically real life everyday issues. Things happen, they're dealt with, we try to explain the big stuff when we are able and after we've discussed it.

At this point, can I post an appeal to let this rest and also in a much lesser way, to trust that everything that happened did in fact happen for a reason? And to again consider letting this one go and not have this continue to be a challenge-the-mods discussion? Seriously, there are terrific things going on in this forum, uplifting and positive things, and it saddens me to see this be the distraction which takes focus away from the best qualities of this board and the people who regularly post here.

Please, that's all I'm asking.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: January 21, 2015, 09:12:49 AM »

I'm done, said all I have to.

Several times...  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 21, 2015, 09:17:26 AM »

the sudden appearance from nowhere two years after the article was posted, vowing to set the record straight in the face of criticisms that, to date, no-one can actually find.

It's not exactly hard to find this criticism: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,13147.0.html
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 21, 2015, 09:24:19 AM »

Backing up what Billy posted, again 110%. At this point, we have posted several explanations and clarifications on what is an ongoing issue. Both Billy's posts and my own specifically mentioned the time/schedule factor...where we are simply not able to be on the board 24/7 due to work, family, scheduling, and basically real life everyday issues. Things happen, they're dealt with, we try to explain the big stuff when we are able and after we've discussed it.

At this point, can I post an appeal to let this rest and also in a much lesser way, to trust that everything that happened did in fact happen for a reason? And to again consider letting this one go and not have this continue to be a challenge-the-mods discussion? Seriously, there are terrific things going on in this forum, uplifting and positive things, and it saddens me to see this be the distraction which takes focus away from the best qualities of this board and the people who regularly post here.

The mods are amazing. And more patient and tolerant with squabbling than Job.

I respect the call you made.  The question is why would anyone post such stuff?  

And it is an "observation" and not a "criticism."

One for the mods  Beer

And that would be one of OSD's unopened Bud Lights! (I couldn't resist!)  LOL

(Low alcohol percentage ! )
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: January 21, 2015, 09:25:59 AM »

So much for stopping it. Much appreciated.

That May 2012 thread started the day it originally appeared on a blog then was reposted here, on Hoffman, and other boards, and it ended 4 days later. Done, over, case closed. May 31 2012, last post. What happened that next Tuesday, back in June 2012? Check for yourself.

And over two years later, this starts up again...replying to 2+ year old criticisms after a 2 year lag? The only coincidences I believe in are when someone happens to pick the winning numbers in the lottery and wins millions. And stuff like that.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: January 21, 2015, 09:28:08 AM »

The mods are amazing. And more patient and tolerant with squabbling than Job.

I respect the call you made.  The question is why would anyone post such stuff?  

And it is an "observation" and not a "criticism."

One for the mods  Beer

And that would be one of OSD's unopened Bud Lights! (I couldn't resist!)  LOL

(Low alcohol percentage ! )

Thank you for the kind words, that is very much appreciated!  Smiley

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 21, 2015, 09:29:09 AM »

Couldn't the criticism of the mods stops but the discussion of the claims continue?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: January 21, 2015, 09:33:52 AM »

Couldn't the criticism of the mods stops but the discussion of the claims continue?

The topics like Darlin and GV exist in other threads, Cam, as recent as last month in the case of the Darlin naming story. They're on the board already.

?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 21, 2015, 09:37:45 AM »

So much for stopping it. Much appreciated.

That May 2012 thread started the day it originally appeared on a blog then was reposted here, on Hoffman, and other boards, and it ended 4 days later. Done, over, case closed. May 31 2012, last post. What happened that next Tuesday, back in June 2012? Check for yourself.

And over two years later, this starts up again...replying to 2+ year old criticisms after a 2 year lag? The only coincidences I believe in are when someone happens to pick the winning numbers in the lottery and wins millions. And stuff like that.

Why the conspiracy theories?  Funny thing happens if you google Lorren Daro: both the 11 page thread here and the one on the SH site are what you get on the first page.  Isn't the easiest, most logical solution that the guy happened to google himself and that's what he found and chose to address it?  
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: January 21, 2015, 09:44:10 AM »

Okay...then why would he only google himself and choose to respond *only* when Brian's profile is raised?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SinisterSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: January 21, 2015, 09:46:56 AM »

The topics like Darlin and GV exist in other threads, Cam, as recent as last month in the case of the Darlin naming story. They're on the board already.

What about the Brian/VDP/Darro relationship in the 60's? Or should we let things settle down first?
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 21, 2015, 09:53:36 AM »

Okay...then why would he only google himself and choose to respond *only* when Brian's profile is raised?

Sorry Billy, I really think you guys are reaching there.  Brian has been a celebrity since before either of us were born.  I don't see why someone would need a tie-in with a new album to get attention for having associated with him if that's what you're suggesting.   Shrug
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 21, 2015, 09:56:14 AM »

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: January 21, 2015, 10:05:41 AM »

I absolutely 100% respect the mods' decision to take the thread down although I would have preferred they had kept it up - due to timeshift I went to bed before it was taken off, so I don't know what was written just before it was taken down which may have been even more offensive than its beginning. It's a tough job they do.

As to Darro's credibility: interesting and unusually respectful discussion Wink 2 - my take on this is that though you can't conclude from some wrong claims that ALL other claims are wrong too (I guess even the Badham book though seemingly full of flaws contains more correct info than it contains wrong info), BUT a guy who scatters that many insults over a first posting is not someone I would trust in anything.

Just crossed my mind: Do the board mods wear mod gear?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #214 on: January 21, 2015, 10:09:56 AM »

The return of the Mod Squad. Afro LOL Wink

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #215 on: January 21, 2015, 10:10:28 AM »

The contract rider specifies we each get matching Vespa scooters.  Grin

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: January 21, 2015, 10:16:38 AM »

Said I wasn't going to do this, but f*** it...
Sorry Billy, I really think you guys are reaching there.  Brian has been a celebrity since before either of us were born.  I don't see why someone would need a tie-in with a new album to get attention for having associated with him if that's what you're suggesting.

Because that's all he's known for.  To the general public, he's done little to nothing worthwhile on his own,and has a serious axe to grind because of it. There's jealousy and bitterness to spare. But don't take my word for it. Why not ask anybody who has interviewed or interacted with him for the past, oh, I dunno, 20 or so years? Do you think they are all lying? Hell, even ignoring that,  from his posts here alone it should've  been obvious that anybody that disagreed with him was immediately 'pulling opinions out of [their] ass ' and yet had the nerve to accuse Rocky of the same? Pot, kettle, black. Everybody's wrong except for him. I can understand the issue with Gaines for obvious reasons, but do you honestly believe that every single person who has ever discussed him on (and off...) the record is making up sh*t about him? Please understand I'm not flaming you and you are indeed entitled to your opinion, but also please understand that he has a reputation for a reason, not because he's the victim and everybody else other than VDP is lying.

Truth be told, I was hoping for more when I saw he registered here.  
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 10:19:25 AM by ♩♬ Billy C ♯♫♩ » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: January 21, 2015, 10:20:10 AM »

LOL

?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 21, 2015, 10:28:43 AM »

Please understand I'm not flaming you and you are indeed entitled to your opinion

No worries bro. Smiley

As to the rest, I can only speak on what I personally saw.  He certainly had some contentious opinions, but he wasn't exactly welcomed here with open arms either.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #219 on: January 21, 2015, 10:48:10 AM »

Please understand I'm not flaming you and you are indeed entitled to your opinion

No worries bro. Smiley

As to the rest, I can only speak on what I personally saw.  He certainly had some contentious opinions, but he wasn't exactly welcomed here with open arms either.

It's much the same as what happened in May 2012 on each of the boards where that first blog post was reposted and reacted to. The internet is great that way, a lot can be found by a simple search. It's not worth reposting and all of that, but seriously, go back and check the reactions from 2012. It's hard to justify posting a scorched-earth, flamethrower statement with direct personal attacks and name calling included, and expect no one to react just as strong in return. And this has now happened each time when such a message appeared out of the blue, on several forums.

Let me speak to something else, repeating myself I know, but it was upsetting and still doesn't feel right. Some of the reactions posted which suggested things that simply did not happen here on the board, and suggesting anything of the sort that anyone was chased off, or otherwise... going as far as using the term "fanboys" as a derogatory swipe against people here for no reason, is troubling. I'll restate again - It played out exactly to the letter as several others have posted both here and in the other thread. I can back that up directly as I was online to see exactly what happened and when, down to who was logged in and reading the board and when they were not. I hope no more clarifications or explanations are necessary at this point, because what was reported was what happened, it's simple as that. At least be fair and consider that before debating and criticizing based on a reading of events that has no basis in what actually went down in real time.

Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #220 on: January 21, 2015, 11:05:21 AM »

I think some people are giving far too much creedence to the opinions of a guy whose one claim to fame in life is turning Brian Wilson onto acid for the first time.

Also, also this.

Not to shut buddhahat or anyone else down, but at the end of the day this really is what it all boils down to. I'm sick of seeing these insinuations of a conspiracy to hush up anything that clashes with the established narrative too. I think we're all adults here and open to being proven wrong and learning info that conflicts with what we know. But for the many reasons AGD and Billy has listed, it's clear that Daro is not a credible source and has a clearly self serving agenda. He's a glorified acid/weed hookup looking to make a name for himself. I'd be interested in hearing what he had to say regardless if he weren't so shamelessly abusive and narcissistic in his posts. At the end of the day I don't trust him and doubt he had much worthwhile to say.

Like AGD said, we're going in circles and nobody will convince the other. But there's very valid reasons to discredit Daro's bold claims that don't involve some crazy conspiracy. And with this final post, I'm respecting Guifarfool's wishes and letting this thread die. Anyone who trusts Daro can email him for information, but his thread had no purpose except to witness how pathetic and bitter a man could sink. That's my final word on the subject.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 21, 2015, 11:13:52 AM »

Sure, but those weren't the only claims.

Also, the "vibes" thing with Asher seemed to be new info to some and was on topic of the claims specifically.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 11:15:52 AM by Cam Mott » Logged

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 21, 2015, 12:22:37 PM »

I don't agree that this thread should be shut down at all, much that I respect the mods and the difficult job they have here sometimes. For what reason should this thread be terminated? I don't see any name calling, or swearing, or bullying. Maybe I'm deluded but I thought we were all being pretty respectful towards one another.

Only a few months ago people were bemoaning the lack of quality discourse here, the glut of list and poll threads (some of which I was responsible for I'm afraid). Then we have some serious, challenging discussion crop up about the Smile era and everybody wants it shut down. Confused, to say the least.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
SBonilla
« Reply #223 on: January 21, 2015, 12:35:59 PM »

I think some people are giving far too much creedence to the opinions of a guy whose one claim to fame in life is turning Brian Wilson onto acid for the first time.

... it's clear that Daro is not a credible source and has a clearly self serving agenda. He's a glorified acid/weed hookup looking to make a name for himself.

He already has a name (well, a few. still...).  He worked for major talent agencies and represented, or had dealings with, well known, signed acts. Additionally, he was friends with the a number of people involved in the Hollywood music scene of that time. He's wasn't a Sunset Blvd. bumpkin.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 21, 2015, 12:54:03 PM »

Finally, I find it surprising that you haven't at least expressed a passing interest in VDP's latest quote. Does this not also strengthen Daro's recollectons? Or are you also struggling with the 'inconvenience' that VDP alludes to? I would be interested to hear your take on the comment, and on VDP's integrity. From other corners of the board I can already see it being called into question based on VDP's lack of positivity towards Brian of late.

No, it doesn't strengthen Darro's recollections in any way or form, because it's not about them. VDP says he can "confirm Lorren Daro's account of the 60s", not that he can confirm the specifics of what Darro has said about Brian. For someone who chooses his words as carefully as he does, that's a significant difference. I didn't comment on it because I figured everyone else would similarly pick up on what Van Dyke said... or didn't.

Sorry, I'm not with you. Yes VDP is not being specific by using the phrase "Lorren Daro's account of the 60s" - but it is twitter remember so he doesn't have much room to focus. However, in light of the timing, it's fair to assume VDP is referring to Daro's essay. What else could he be referring to? I wasn't suggesting that VDP was specifically endorsing Daro's claims about GV and IJWMFTT. I was arguing however that VDP's support of Daro and his essay strengthens Daro's claims in the essay and his credibility as a source IF, like me, you trust the credibility of VDP as a source.

If you are seriously arguing that VDP is NOT referring to the essay in question but some other hypothetical account of the 60s that Daro made somewhere off the record, then I really see no point in continuing this discussion with you as that is just not rational imo. Maybe I misunderstood you?

Why doesn't someone go on Twitter and politely ask VDP to what specifically is he referring to in his tweet?

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 28 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx