gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:34:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I need help identifying some Brian Wilson bootlegs I've found.  (Read 62315 times)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 22, 2015, 03:22:08 PM »

AvanTodd:

You said the original SOT LP001 Smile is this one:

THE BEACH BOYS - Smile - 2003 Sea of Tunes 12” LP 180gms Heavyweight Vinyl

Then the description on the back cover of the same album is:

"Available here is a 12" LP by The Beach Boys - Smile. Pressed in 180gms heavyweight vinyl, it was issued by Sea of Tunes in 1997 and has the catalogue number LP001. Produced for the UK and European markets, the centre label indicates manufacture in the EU".

So this 2003 issued copy on EBAY can't be the same as the original copy issued in 1997.  Then where/what is the original 1997 SOT copy? Was the original SOT LP001 180 gram vinyl? Don't think it would be but I'm not 100% sure.

And you're saying all colored (and black) vinyl copies are knock-off's of the original (1997) copy?  Maybe the 1997 version is the CD version and this 2003 is the first time on vinyl, then the rest are knock-offs?  Problem is, Sea Of Tunes (SOT) didn't issue the first CD Smile issues Vol, 16/17 until 1999/2000.

Let's clarify with a picture of the original 1997 vinyl version of Sea Of Tunes LP001, OK?   Sorry if I seem confused.

That record is the original SOT vinyl.  As to the different dates, I have no idea.  I'm not the seller and I don't know where he got his info.  If I had to guess, I'd say the 2003 date is correct.  If it was issued earlier than that, it wasn't by much.  I do not believe it existed in 1997.

All of the colored vinyl pressings are definitely knockoffs.  To answer your other question, when the colored LP001 started showing up they were always advertised by the color of the record.  You would know if you were getting green or red or whatever.  I don't believe any of them were shipped sealed from the factory.

No, the SOT Smile on vinyl didn't exist in 1997. SMiLE (SOT Unsurpassed Masters Vol.16) on CD with the exact same track listing wasn't 'released' until 1999. So that 1997 date printed on the back cover is erroneous. The first vinyl release of Smile from SOT was the one you mentioned and it came out in 2003.  Thanks! Will update the Boot List accordingly.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 04:32:01 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 22, 2015, 03:32:17 PM »

JUst had a  quick look at a couple of my Smile boots…

My triple LP has red, blue and green LPs in a single card sleeve, no Vigotone ID at all.  The red and blue discs have blank white labels; the third (green) disc has a yellow Brother labels. Disc five is Bag (or box) of tricks; side six is Brian's Smile era party. Came with a foldout poster of the over art and photo-copied sessions sheets.

Ahh, that made me pull mine out to check:  Mine is red, blue, green vinyls, all with yellow labels with track listings; the inclusions are the same. Brother Records on the labels and back cover; there's a sticker on the outerwrap bag that has: 

FULL COLOR SMILE POSTER
  NEW IMPROVED SOUND QUALITY 
                3-COLOR VINYL
                7  Page  INSERT

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 22, 2015, 03:38:46 PM »

Over on Discogs(I think someone posted about these ?) there's a seller with the 3 LP that is listed On Vigotone with this description, that seems to vary from the list:  
>>VERY RARE 3 X VINYL LP WITH INSERT + VERY RARE POSTER. VINYL IS IN PINK + PURPLE + BLUEY GREEN VINYL - LABEL IS WHITE WITH SIDE NUMBERS IN BLACK INK. THE SLEEVE HAS CAT # ST 9002 ON SPINE BUT T 9002 ON REAR. <<  Seller is asking 500 pounds...

Already have that one covered, Bgas. Check the list.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 22, 2015, 03:44:28 PM »

Over on Discogs(I think someone posted about these ?) there's a seller with the 3 LP that is listed On Vigotone with this description, that seems to vary from the list:  
>>VERY RARE 3 X VINYL LP WITH INSERT + VERY RARE POSTER. VINYL IS IN PINK + PURPLE + BLUEY GREEN VINYL - LABEL IS WHITE WITH SIDE NUMBERS IN BLACK INK. THE SLEEVE HAS CAT # ST 9002 ON SPINE BUT T 9002 ON REAR. <<  Seller is asking 500 pounds...

Nahh, you don't. At least not to the details. Much like mine I just posted.  This seller claims to have  Vigatone LP colors with what you have as a Brother release.
Mine seems to be a Brother release, with what you have as Vigotone colors .
It seems to be all in the details, but they're not lining up, so some rethinking seems to be in order

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 22, 2015, 04:05:18 PM »

SMiLE (Brother Records ST-9002) 3 LP's - Pink Marble, Purple Marble, Blue Marble colored vinyl, blank white labels, session sheets. Ltd. - Hand-numbered labels.

I saw it 2-3 days ago. That's all I'm going to put up regarding that particular Smile set.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 22, 2015, 04:17:49 PM »

JUst had a  quick look at a couple of my Smile boots…

My triple LP has red, blue and green LPs in a single card sleeve, no Vigotone ID at all.  The red and blue discs have blank white labels; the third (green) disc has a yellow Brother labels. Disc five is Bag (or box) of tricks; side six is Brian's Smile era party. Came with a foldout poster of the over art and photo-copied sessions sheets.

John, read the latest list for the label variances. I read that one collector actually RETURNED his Smile set to Amoeba Records in S.F. because the labels on his records were not all yellow. He saw a couple of white labelled LP's in the sleeve and figured he'd gotten a 'defective' Smile set. Amoeba gave him his money back!

?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 22, 2015, 06:06:25 PM »

Nahh, you don't. At least not to the details. Much like mine I just posted.  This seller claims to have  Vigatone LP colors with what you have as a Brother release.
It seems to be all in the details, but they're not lining up, so some rethinking seems to be in order

It is Vigotone, it's just not marked as such on the package: http://www.vigotone.com/vigotone%20vinyl/st9002.htm
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 22, 2015, 06:51:37 PM »

AvanTodd, just to be clear as crystal here - all colored vinyl of the Making Waves series are knock-offs of the original black vinyl copies or does that just pertain to the Smile LP's? How does the list look now?

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 22, 2015, 07:07:38 PM »

It is Vigotone, it's just not marked as such on the package: http://www.vigotone.com/vigotone%20vinyl/st9002.htm

OK, thanxx. So mine is Vigatone; perhaps the seller is just not certain, or couldn't tell

?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 22, 2015, 09:27:49 PM »

AvanTodd, just to be clear as crystal here - all colored vinyl of the Making Waves series are knock-offs of the original black vinyl copies or does that just pertain to the Smile LP's? How does the list look now?

Just Smile AFAIK.  I can't comment on the Making Waves records as I'm not familiar with them.  Smile boots have always been my specialty.

One more thing is there might have been a 2LP version of the Vigotone boot, without the green record.  I had a very strange copy that was the first two records only (red & blue with the yellow Brother labels).  No poster or other inserts.  The sleeve was just plain white with a loose cardboard print of the Smile front cover.  I have no idea of the origins but there were at least a few others like it out there.  Maybe they had pressed extras of those two records only for some reason and just dumped them on the market like that as an unfinished set?  Just speculation on my part.  And I don't know if this really qualifies as an alternate but I thought it was worth mentioning.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 09:30:53 PM by AvanTodd » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 23, 2015, 10:21:53 AM »

OK, are we done?  Did I forget anything?  Does anybody have anything to correct or add to the list?  Being picky and finicky on the details is welcomed!

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 23, 2015, 12:57:26 PM »

OK, are we done?  Did I forget anything?  Does anybody have anything to correct or add to the list?  Being picky and finicky on the details is welcomed!

Well, since you asked Grin

My copy of SMiLE (Brother Records) 2 LP's has a blank black label for SMILE A/B and a blank white label for SMILE C/D.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 23, 2015, 01:54:32 PM »

Well, since you asked Grin

My copy of SMiLE (Brother Records) 2 LP's has a blank black label for SMILE A/B and a blank white label for SMILE C/D.

Just like there's a mix of yellow and white labels on the other 3 LP Smile set.  Bad Quality Control.  But assuming they're all suppose to be that way, I'll change it accordingly.

LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 23, 2015, 02:31:17 PM »

Mikie, just when you think you're done...

Honey's Collector's Series -- The faux ticket is actually in the original, not the reboot.

I think the brown vinyl Hawthorne Hotshots was just a joke on the sleeve, wasn't it?  Has anyone really seen one?

Never heard of a light green KPUK sleeve.  I always heard that the originals were red because the Hawthorne Hotshots EP was re-booted, and the bootleggers knew that black printing on red wouldn't reproduce.

(*** I would like Peter to chime in on the two above.)

SMiLE slick - I think you'll need to add a new entry, as I just realized that the one that's framed on my wall must be a re-boot.  It was already cut to size (12" X 12") when I received it, and it has "63 of 200" with the "63" typed in, but embedded in the printing (i.e. as if all of these reprints would be numbered "63.").  I received it in the package with the Beach Boys / Brian Wilson Rarities LP that I ordered from Australia.

You included Volume 5 of the California Collector's Series, which is all Beach Boys, but the following volumes also contain Beach Boys-related cuts:
Volume 2 - Contains "Still I Dream of It" by the Beach Boys (Brian)
Volume 3 - Contains "Gonna Hustle You" (Brian demo)

Here's a new one:
Various Artists - For Radio Use Only (COM 3) - 7" EP with white labels with typed font.  Contains a radio promo for a 1964 Beach Boys / Sam the Sham concert, along with ads for The Beatles' Candlestick Park concert, and the Hondells for Honda.

Lee
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 02:56:24 PM by LeeDempsey » Logged
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 23, 2015, 02:54:25 PM »

Not to get into label variations, but the WRMB boot labels are so amusing that I thought I would describe mine:
WRMB 359 ("Madison Square Garden"), Copy #1: Lime green labels with black print, record label listed as "VON GROSSENSHUSH" and title "TEUFEL FOLK SONGS" / "Produced by Klaus v Schmidt"  Catalogue # 75001.  Matrix numbers MID-2609 A/B; Delta numbers 18541 and 18541-X.  Mine is missing the cover.
WRMB 359, Copy #2: Bright red label with silver print, record label listed as "WIZARDO REISSUE SERIES" and title "RARE OLD STUFF".  Same matrix and delta numbers as above.  Cover has a blue photocopy insert with a picture of Dennis standing in front of a mic.
WRMB 504 (Anaheim '76), Blue label with silver print, record label listed as "WIZARDO RECORDS" and title "LIVE RECORDINGS".   Matrix numbers WRMB-504-A/B.  Cover has a black and white photocopy insert with the 1970(?) picture of the group with Brian superimposed in the background.

Lee
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 23, 2015, 03:56:20 PM »

Mikie, just when you think you're done...

Honey's Collector's Series -- The faux ticket is actually in the original, not the reboot.

Fixed.

I think the brown vinyl Hawthorne Hotshots was just a joke on the sleeve, wasn't it?  Has anyone really seen one?

I'll inquire within. The person I really want to talk to is no longer with us.

Never heard of a light green KPUK sleeve.  I always heard that the originals were red because the Hawthorne Hotshots EP was reproduced, and black printing on red won't reproduce.

(*** I would like Peter to chime in on the two above.)

The light green color is in reference to the original Hot Shots sleeve. Somehow it made its way to the description of the KPUK sleeve!   Fixed.

SMiLE slick - I think you'll need to add a new entry, as I just realized that the one that's framed on my wall must be a re-boot.  It was already cut to size (12" X 12") when I received it, and it has "63 of 200" with the "63" typed in, but embedded in the printing (i.e. as if all of these reprints would be numbered "63.").  I received it in the package with the Beach Boys / Brian Wilson Rarities LP that I ordered from Australia.

So you're saying it might be a boot of a boot? OK.....

You included Volume 5 of the California Collector's Series, which is all Beach Boys, but the following volumes also contain Beach Boys-related cuts:
Volume 2 - Contains "Still I Dream of It" by the Beach Boys (Brian)
Volume 3 - Contains "Gonna Hustle You" (Brian demo)

I left those off on purpose - was thinking about adding Vol. 3 but was waiting for conjecture. You sure you want to add them?

Here's a new one:

Various Artists - For Radio Use Only (COM 3) - 7" EP with white labels with typed font.  Contains a radio promo for a 1964 Beach Boys / Sam the Sham concert, along with ads for The Beatles' Candlestick Park concert, and the Hondells for Honda.

Maybe we're reaching a little with this one?

LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 23, 2015, 04:36:24 PM »

Yes, I guess SMiLE back sleeve would be a boot of a boot, or at best a second pressing.  Since you have already included the Hawthorne Hotshots boot of a boot, and since some other collectors may also have a "63 of 200" it needs to be included for reference.

I would definitely add the two California Collectors Series EPs since they contain proper BB tracks.

Your call on the EP with the radio ad.  I'm ok with leaving it off.

Lee
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 23, 2015, 06:06:18 PM »

Ah, 10-4.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 24, 2015, 11:57:32 AM »

Back in the 70's, I ordered a copy of the SMiLE album booklet from I think a guy in Florida. Pretty sure it's a boot and not an original. He had a bunch of them. It took a long time to receive it. It's a numbered copy and I can't remember how many were suppose to be printed in this run. Anyway, it was very well done. I was looking for a copy on the internet last night and came across one that was printed in a lot of 1,000 back in 1992. Since I got mine back in the 70's, the 1992 version must be a re-boot of a boot. Does anybody have anymore info on this? I decided to put the 1992 version in the vinyl list, but would like to confirm the first run of these before including it in the list.

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 24, 2015, 01:28:55 PM »

I bought my numbered copy of the Smile booklet after seeing the advertisement in the original edition of LLVS back in 1989. The booklet is promoted as Beach Boys UK Collectors Series Volume 1, limited to 1000 copies.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 02:03:31 PM by metal flake paint » Logged

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 24, 2015, 01:57:33 PM »

Didn't know about the 70ies one. And the 92 one doesn't ring a bell to me either.

I do have a more recent copy, I think. Un-numbered. And I think made in the UK (not sure). My guess is early 2000's. Also well done.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 24, 2015, 02:05:50 PM »

As for the list. I'm thinking of these as well
- For Radio Station use only - COM 3
- Barbara Ann (5561: sleeve bootleg reproduction)
- WIBN (5706: sleeve bootleg reproduction)
- Candix 301 - Surfin' sleeve (90s)
- Capitol 5096 - Little Saint Nick sleeve (90s)
- BR 1001 - Heroes And Villains sleeve
- T556 - Surfin' Safari

Can be found on the Starline website: http://www.beachboys45.nl/USA-Regular-Bootleg%20releases.htm

A couple of these might be too much of a stretch. But especially the Surfin' and LSN sleeve's have been doing rounds since the 90ies...

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 24, 2015, 04:16:25 PM »

I bought my numbered copy of the Smile booklet after seeing the advertisement in the original edition of LLVS back in 1989. The booklet is promoted as Beach Boys UK Collectors Series Volume 1, limited to 1000 copies.

So I'm looking at this one advertised as 1992 and there were some advertised (and I assume available) in 1989. Because of the year differences, I'm not sure this one (from the U.S.) is from the same run you're talking about from the Look, Listen, Vibrate, Smile advertisement.

http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=558718

The one I have was sold by someone in the U.S. many years prior to that. One time I compared notes with a guy on one of the message board, because he'd bought his from the same guy (I think Florida) so I know there was at least one earlier run of these.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 24, 2015, 04:37:37 PM »

I have a Smile booklet around… pretty sure I picked it up at a Stomp convention (in the UK), probaby in the '90s or early 2000s. Will dig it out and check for any identifiers. Also have a repro Smile slick with printers' crop marks, which I think I might also have picked up at Stomp. That's framed so harder to check for identifiers.

“We live in divisive times.”
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 24, 2015, 04:40:49 PM »

I have a Smile booklet around… pretty sure I picked it up at a Stomp convention (in the UK), probaby in the '90s or early 2000s. Will dig it out and check for any identifiers. Also have a repro Smile slick with printers' crop marks, which I think I might also have picked up at Stomp. That's framed so harder to check for identifiers.

Just take the frame off, SOLVED!

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx