gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:47:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I need help identifying some Brian Wilson bootlegs I've found.  (Read 62346 times)
The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2015, 02:46:47 AM »

I posted a SMiLE CD list a while ago. Hope this helps.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,18380.msg479491.html#msg479491

Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2015, 03:07:28 AM »

Hi all. I found a couple of records at my local record store that I've never seen or heard of before, and I haven't been able to find any information about them online. I was hoping someone here may have some more info about them.

I have copies of The New Album and Adult Child vinyl bootlegs you found.  They were some of the first BB bootlegs I ever bought.  I thought it was intriguing that the narratives on the back of the covers were written to sound as if Eugene Landy wrote them.   Unless I'm thinking of something else.

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2015, 03:28:29 AM »

Problem solved - now you can ask Brian.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2015, 07:29:58 AM »

Thanks, Barnyard2. This thread has evolved into completing the Beach Boys vinyl list first. I could have sworn that there was a 2-vinyl set released in the 80's/90's, but I don't see it anywhere. Until someone comes along and affirms it, I'll leave it off. Avantodd posted a third Smile album on Brother in an earlier list. I want to see what that "third" vinyl album is that he's talking about.

Barnyard, I still have "our" list of Smile boots and we'll get there after completing this one.  Smiley
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 10:18:14 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2015, 01:47:13 PM »

So are we done here? Anybody have anything to add before SmileHolland puts it somewhere on the board for reference? Speak now or forever hold your piece!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Tricycle Rider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2015, 03:15:12 PM »

So are we done here? Anybody have anything to add before SmileHolland puts it somewhere on the board for reference? Speak now or forever hold your piece!

You need to insert the 1991 2-LP SMiLE boot after the first two on Brother Records.
I bought these all in sequence as they came out, so I can confirm it goes there.
It was 2-LPs in a single sleeve, and the labels were blank white. It was unclear who the manufacturer was.

Here are the details:
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,18459.msg482690.html#msg482690

And here's a photo:
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,18459.msg484588.html#msg484588

Smiley

Some of our forum members suffer from an acute form of cynicism resulting in a complete lack of patience and manners in the face of anything joyful or optimistic. Try to humor them as best you can for the time being, and one day, with your help, we will find a cure for this devastating disease. This has been a public service announcement.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2015, 03:24:34 PM »

You need to insert the 1991 2-LP SMiLE boot after the first two on Brother Records.
I bought these all in sequence as they came out, so I can confirm it goes there.
It was 2-LPs in a single sleeve, and the labels were blank white. It was unclear who the manufacturer was.

And that's EXACTLY where I had a provision for it on the list last night before I took it down because I couldn't substantiate it. I KNEW I've seen it before - I thought I had it but then thought I dreamed it so I wasn't sure. Now you have it and I have confirmation! Thanks, TR! 

« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 03:45:41 PM by Mikie » Logged

Tricycle Rider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2015, 03:38:15 PM »

Anything for you Mikie!  Grin

Some of our forum members suffer from an acute form of cynicism resulting in a complete lack of patience and manners in the face of anything joyful or optimistic. Try to humor them as best you can for the time being, and one day, with your help, we will find a cure for this devastating disease. This has been a public service announcement.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2015, 07:25:40 PM »

And that's EXACTLY where I had a provision for it on the list last night before I took it down because I couldn't substantiate it. I KNEW I've seen it before - I thought I had it but then thought I dreamed it so I wasn't sure. Now you have it and I have confirmation! Thanks, TR! 

SO, I guess I was dreaming when Metal Flake Paint confirmed the 2 LP Smile Set way back on page 2/ January 18th??   

Any updates to the vinyl boot list on the previous page would be appreciated. There's a 2-album Smile set that came out that I can't find the number or label information to as I don't have it at my disposal right now.  Pretty sure I remember it as a 2-disk set placed in one sleeve and it came out before the 3-disk Vigotone set.

Mikie, I might have the 2 LP Smile set you're referring to, purchased in 1990. Not much information available apart from Stereo/Mono on the spine of the cover and each LP side has SMILE-A, SMILE-B, SMILE-C, and SMILE-D etched into the runout grooves. Included is a yellow 4 page sheet of "The Smile Music" by Domenic Priore.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2015, 08:43:51 PM »

Got anything worthwhile to add there Bigass, or are you just here to clutter up the thread with smart-assed remarks? MFP wasn't sure if he had the set, and he said there isn't much info available other than what's in the run-out grooves. I was looking for possible label or Mfg info, and assumed it would be forthcoming from he or someone else, and TR then confirmed its existence.

I see you don't have anything more to add to the list other than the additions from Lee and SH that I put in a couple of days ago, Bgas.  Lee and Smile-Holland sure have outstanding collections, don't they? I'll be looking for their help along with Metal Flake Paint and others on my upcoming CD boot list.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 08:58:47 PM by Mikie » Logged

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2015, 09:05:03 PM »

Mikie, I can confirm with certainty that I own this 2 LP set. Interestingly though, I bought mine in 1990 as I still have the original Goldmine June 1990 edition that featured the listing for it, asterisked by me, plus the IMO (International Money Order) I sent as payment dated August of the same year Grin Unlike Tricycle Rider's copy though, my LPs feature black and white blank labels (SMILE A,B and SMILE C,D LPs respectively).
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 10:16:29 PM by metal flake paint » Logged

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2015, 09:15:01 PM »

Got anything worthwhile to add there Bigass, or are you just here to clutter up the thread with smart-assed remarks? MFP wasn't sure if he had the set, and he said there isn't much info available other than what's in the run-out grooves. I was looking for possible label or Mfg info, and assumed it would be forthcoming from he or someone else, and TR then confirmed its existence.

I see you don't have anything more to add to the list other than the additions from Lee and SH that I put in a couple of days ago, Bgas.  Lee and Smile-Holland sure have outstanding collections, don't they? I'll be looking for their help along with Metal Flake Paint and others on my upcoming CD boot list.

This should really teach me to try and help in your quests, eh? Maybe you need to learn to  preafrood your own lists...

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2015, 09:23:45 PM »

Maybe you need to learn to  preafrood your own lists...

I already do, Bgas. Nobody is helping me proof read for errors/corrections. Just adding stuff to the list is all I need so it's as comprehensive as possible. A few things are not verifiable, so I rely on the honor system that they truly exist. 

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2015, 10:40:07 PM »

Mikie, my copy of the 3LP SMiLE (Vigotone ST-9002) comes with a blue, green, and yellow LP.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2015, 01:14:52 AM »

This should really teach me to try and help in your quests, eh? Maybe you need to learn to  preafrood your own lists...

C'mon guys, be nice.  Smiley   You both have added several items for this list. And definitely more than I did. In fact, I didn't add any (although I do have several of them).

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2015, 01:29:19 AM »

Mikie: one addition to the list, or rather, a variation.

SMiLE (Sea of Tunes LP001) 3 variations of colored vinyl

You mention the 3 coloured ones, but I have a fourth variation on 'normal' black vinyl.

And as we have added some 'sleeve-only' releases:  there are some more of these, although most of them are from more recent date, either mock-ups (Surfin', Little Saint Nick) or reproductions (Barbara Ann). But they were printed in larger quantities I think (no clue how much) as I see these pop on Ebay from time to time.
http://www.beachboys45.nl/USA-Regular-Bootleg%20releases.htm

Worth adding or not?

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2015, 01:48:00 AM »

Thanks, Barnyard2. This thread has evolved into completing the Beach Boys vinyl list first. I could have sworn that there was a 2-vinyl set released in the 80's/90's, but I don't see it anywhere. Until someone comes along and affirms it, I'll leave it off. Avantodd posted a third Smile album on Brother in an earlier list. I want to see what that "third" vinyl album is that he's talking about.

Barnyard, I still have "our" list of Smile boots and we'll get there after completing this one.  Smiley

Cool  Smiley

Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2015, 01:57:10 AM »

Just to add my 2 cents for what it's worth-I also have the Smile 2LP white label edition. It seems to have been a test pressing for the coloured vinyls although I could be wrong.
The link below has a picture
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,18459.75.html

Mine didn't come with the 4 page Dominic Priore pullout as I imagine it got lost over time.

Great thread though-it's always nice to see one of these turn up at a record shop out of the blue
The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2015, 02:08:45 AM »

This is my attempt to a vinyls list. I'm not sure of all the years:

? ?? Live At Madison Square Garden, Nov. 1972 - Resurfin' USA (Midnite Records/Renaissance 2609) [Live 1971-11-13 Princeton]
? ?? Live At Madison Square Garden, Nov. 1972 (Wizardo #359) [Live 1971-11-13 Princeton]
? ?? Live At Madison Square Garden, Nov. 1972 (Cat n Dog Records #359) [Live 1971-11-13 Princeton]
1971 Fillmore East Final Concert (Matrix # EL 3304 A/B) [Live 1971-06-27 New York] [Your Song, Riot Going On]
1975 California Surf Music (Contraband Music LP BB 7010) [Live 1971-11-13 Princeton]
1976 Anaheim '76 (Wizardo WRMB 504) [Soundtrack of the TV Special]
1978 Good Time 1978 (White Label)
1982 California Easter Album (Penguin Egg Nine/Ten) [Live 1971-04-27 New York] [Searchin', Riot in Cell Block Nr. 9]
1983 Landlocked (Brother Records HNG 10)
1983 Made In U.S.A. (Brother Records BR-409)
1983 SMiLE (Brother Records ST 2580)
1984 The New Album (Making Waves Ltd. Collectors Series #1)
1984 Adult Child (Making Waves Ltd. Collectors Series #2)
1984 Merry Christmas From The California Legends (Making Waves Ltd. Collectors Series #3)
1984 Califonia Feeling (Making Waves Ltd. Collectors Series #4)
1984 Beach Boys Meet The Grateful Dead (RAMA L-30158/9) [Live 1971-04-27 New York]
1984 Beach Boys Meet The Grateful Dead (RAMA BBGD1/2/3/4) [Live 1971-04-27 New York]
1985 SMiLE (Second Edition) (Brother records ST-2580)
1985 Adult Child (Brother records BW 1977)
1985 California Feeling (Brother records SUN-3329)
1986 Live At The CBS Convention (Brother Records BR 1977) [Live 1977-07-30 London]
1986 Surf's Down (Running Bear RB 0011)
1987 Bamboo (Bamboo Records ST 1444)
1987 Brian Loves You (Local Reduction Institute RT 4661)
1988 Surfer's Nightmare (Trade Mark Of Quality TMQ 72116) [Live 1979-05-14 New York]
1988 Rare Gems (Quiktype Records BB1)
1990 SMILE (2 LP's) (No Label)
1993 SMiLE (Vigotone ST-9002)
2003 SMiLE (Sea of Tunes LP001)

?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2015, 03:31:15 AM »

The third release is the 2LP version.  I referred to it as Brother because somewhere along the way I was led to believe it was the third release from the same people behind the first two.  I have no idea if that's accurate though.  But there is no label information on it.  Just the Capitol logo on the cover, nothing else.  Hope that helps.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2015, 04:34:50 AM »

The third release is the 2LP version.  I referred to it as Brother because somewhere along the way I was led to believe it was the third release from the same people behind the first two.  I have no idea if that's accurate though.  But there is no label information on it.  Just the Capitol logo on the cover, nothing else.  Hope that helps.

No matrix nembers/letters?

?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2015, 08:17:13 AM »

No, I don't think so.  Just Side A/B scratched in the deadwax.
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2015, 08:31:25 AM »

Mikie, I can confirm with certainty that I own this 2 LP set. Interestingly though, I bought mine in 1990 as I still have the original Goldmine June 1990 edition that featured the listing for it, asterisked by me, plus the IMO (International Money Order) I sent as payment dated August of the same year Grin Unlike Tricycle Rider's copy though, my LPs feature black and white blank labels (SMILE A,B and SMILE C,D LPs respectively).

Sorry I didn't respond, as I thought it was already confirmed, but I also have the 2-LP SMiLE.  Mine is still sealed, so I can't comment on the labels.

EDIT: I recalled at one point having an open one in my "doubles" box, so I checked my collection database.  My notes say "blank white labels."

Lee
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 09:39:54 AM by LeeDempsey » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2015, 11:02:20 AM »

Just updated the list to include the 2-LP Smile and 3 LP Smile sets (different colored vinyl, labels). The later looks like a knock-off of the Vigotone 3-LP set. Also included Barnyard2's additions.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 12:58:59 PM by Mikie » Logged

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2015, 01:07:34 PM »

Mikie, you may want to mention that the 1983 Smile LP included the James Watt paper insert.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx