gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:48:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2015 New Releases  (Read 27559 times)
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 01, 2015, 08:07:52 PM »

I think they probably make more videos now than they did during MTV's heyday. Fewer gigantic / epic ones, but with filming and editing cheaper and easier and youtube and such for distribution, everyone makes them. (I pretty much never watch them, though. I still like listening to music, myself. And when I was a teen watching MTV, the visuals were mostly to see what scantily clad performers would be gracing the screens of Poison's or Whitesnake's latest hits...)

LOL  I hear ya.  I actually didn't have MTV growing up -- and can remember staying up late to watch something called Friday Night Videos.  LOL.  We thought videos were the coolest thing ever.  

halblaineisgood
« Reply #76 on: September 01, 2015, 09:02:22 PM »

Alternate video for "Julia"  : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDE7_bdL_rQ
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 09:15:39 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 01, 2015, 09:55:08 PM »

When I hear "Julia", I get the urge to say something snarky like "just what the world wanted: the new Airborne Toxic Event", but then I'm not 100% confident on the comparison. It's a group of guys dressed in business casual and that one mystery female band member that you're not really sure what she does, but she's attractive so it's okay. "Oh, you're going to play acoustic rhythm on this one? Well, that would be three guitars for this song. I'm already playing rhythm on electric.... No, that's fine." It's that same kind of bombastic, faux-literary, plastic-romance thing. So... anyway, I'm giving "Julia" a no. Deal with it, losers.

Here is something I like that was just released:
Destroyer - "Girl in a Sling"
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 10:05:27 PM by Schmubbly Schmaves » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 01, 2015, 10:59:19 PM »

Our own BillyC has an album out with his band, Fear2Stop.  Grin You can get it on Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014AA935S/ref=dm_ws_sp_ps_dp

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #79 on: September 02, 2015, 12:55:15 AM »

*Couldn't find a link
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 01:27:41 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 02, 2015, 05:31:26 AM »

When I hear "Julia", I get the urge to say something snarky like "just what the world wanted: the new Airborne Toxic Event", but then I'm not 100% confident on the comparison. It's a group of guys dressed in business casual and that one mystery female band member that you're not really sure what she does, but she's attractive so it's okay. "Oh, you're going to play acoustic rhythm on this one? Well, that would be three guitars for this song. I'm already playing rhythm on electric.... No, that's fine." It's that same kind of bombastic, faux-literary, plastic-romance thing. So... anyway, I'm giving "Julia" a no. Deal with it, losers.

Heh. Sassy. I like a good melody so I like it. Don't much care what they look like or about their pretentions. (Haven't actually seen them.) Catchy pop song, good enough for me.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 02, 2015, 06:44:41 AM »

I can never get past the fact that their guitars aren't plugged in.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 02, 2015, 09:59:16 AM »

I can never get past the fact that their guitars aren't plugged in.

That doesn't usually bother me in videos, but it drives me insane in "live performance" situations.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 05, 2015, 06:09:51 AM »

I listened to most of Miley Cyrus's new album, largely done with the Flaming Lips. Most of it isn't very good. Some of it isn't all that bad. I'll probably scan it again and it's not impossible that there will be a song or two I'll buy. Go team Disney...

That said, she is so, so dull. Nothing is so tedious as someone being "shocking." To quote Jason Robards' character in "Magnolia" as he lies in his deathbed: "It's all so goshdarn boring."

Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 05, 2015, 09:21:37 AM »

I didn't realise how small a release that album was at first, initially leading me to believe it was to be her career-killing artistic opus (blehh). Turns out it was a heartfelt little side project that came about as a result of her humongous amount of free time and ability as a pop superstar to do literally anything. Which is still nice.

I don't find it to be as weird (or anywhere near as shocking) as I think it wants to be, and it isn't particularly good either, but there are a few bright spots and on the whole it's a nice-sounding album. Nothing I'd call abysmal and nothing great, but "Karen Don't Be Sad" is probably the best track and "Pablow the Blowfish" is a nice sentiment.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 05, 2015, 09:24:31 AM »

I didn't realise how small a release that album was at first, initially leading me to believe it was to be her career-killing artistic opus (blehh). Turns out it was a heartfelt little side project that came about as a result of her humongous amount of free time and ability as a pop superstar to do literally anything. Which is still nice.

I don't find it to be as weird (or anywhere near as shocking) as I think it wants to be, and it isn't particularly good either, but there are a few bright spots and on the whole it's a nice-sounding album. Nothing I'd call abysmal and nothing great, but "Karen Don't Be Sad" is probably the best track and "Pablow the Blowfish" is a nice sentiment.

I think you're right on about all of that. "Karen" was the one that struck me as not bad, by the way. Sounded like Miley singing a Lips song, which isn't the worst thing in the world to be.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 05, 2015, 12:02:21 PM »

I haven't really been interested in any archival releases this year, but as we're entering the last quarter of the year and thus the holiday season, there's some stuff coming about. Well, two so far. But, still. The first of those two things is the 4 CD box set of the Matrix tapes for the Velvet Underground, which are basically pristine concert recordings of the Velvet Underground in 1969 that haven't been fully available previously. The other is the 1965/1966 Bob Dylan Bootleg Series that's coming out, and it has an 18 CD version. Which I will be purchasing. Because it's Bob Dylan in 1965 and 66.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 05, 2015, 12:25:36 PM »

Here's another new album I'm looking forward to:

(Click      the      cover       for       a         song)

It's been a great year for post-punk-ish kinda stuff.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 12:27:07 PM by Schmubbly Schmaves » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 05, 2015, 12:42:35 PM »

The other is the 1965/1966 Bob Dylan Bootleg Series that's coming out, and it has an 18 CD version. Which I will be purchasing. Because it's Bob Dylan in 1965 and 66.

I didn't realize this was on the way. I'll have to look into it.

The VU thing is of only passing interest to me for some reason. I think that in general, my interest in different mixes or live show recordings is just waning. There was a time in late/post college when that was absolutely my thing: Zappa in particular, but plenty of other bands/ As time goes on, I guess I just don't have the interest to wade into what, if anything, makes March 23 different than March 21 for this or that song.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 05, 2015, 01:03:56 PM »

The VU thing is of only passing interest to me for some reason. I think that in general, my interest in different mixes or live show recordings is just waning. There was a time in late/post college when that was absolutely my thing: Zappa in particular, but plenty of other bands/ As time goes on, I guess I just don't have the interest to wade into what, if anything, makes March 23 different than March 21 for this or that song.

Well, this is a little bit different than just another live VU release to investigate minutiae. These are the only high-quality live recordings of the Velvet Underground in existence. I believe that a sampler of the material to get record company interest leaked online, and fans were able to hear some of it, but all the songs faded out after a minute or two. Some of it was released last year on a deluxe the Velvet Underground, but now we're getting all of it. This is by far the best sounding recordings you can get for this band (and it ain't shabby performance-wise either, which you'll know if you've listened to Live 1969), and there's four CDs worth of this stuff. So, I'm excited for it.
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 12, 2015, 11:42:48 AM »

Has anyone else listened to this and if so, thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leu2STVH8Iw
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 11:49:16 AM by undercover-m » Logged

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
Larry Franz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: September 12, 2015, 01:27:09 PM »

I just listened to the new Beach House album "Depression Cherry". It's gorgeous. This is the last track: "Days of Candy"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhJpXouayE4

Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into. (It became fine later on.)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 13, 2015, 10:01:13 AM »

Has anyone else listened to this and if so, thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leu2STVH8Iw

I listened to about half of it. Honestly, I thought it was boring. I think people spend too much time trying to recreate the sounds of earlier eras ... but usually they're lacking the most important part, which is the material. That's how I felt here. I'd just lump it in with some High Llamas, some Beachwood Sparks, and dozens of other bands. You'll never be better than classic bands at being those bands: find something else to do. Not to say you can't pick and choose bits (as if you could avoid it).

KDS
« Reply #93 on: September 14, 2015, 05:50:13 AM »

There don't seem to be a lot of fans of heavy music, but here it goes. 

This weekend, I got to listen to new highly anticipated releases from the old guard and new guard of heavy metal. 

First - Ghost's third album Meliora (rel Aug 21).  Another great collection of progressive retro metal.  These guys are like BOC's first five albums, with a little bit of early Genesis, Mercyful Fate, Black Sabbath, and even Beach Boys thrown in. 

Next - Iron Maiden's 16th album - The Book of Souls (rel Sept 4).  These guys keep pushing themselves as songwriters.  Their 1st double album has 11 songs over 92 minutes.   Epic progressive heavy metal.  There's a lot going on with this album, so it will require many listens throughout the fall. 

This Friday, former Pink Floyd guitarist David Gilmour, releases his 4th solo record - Rattle That Lock.  I heard the title track, and it sounds good.  I'm hoping for an extensive US Tour in 2016, but I'm not counting on it. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 14, 2015, 07:33:12 AM »

While I've moved away from heavier music, I absolutely hope you'll speak up for whatever you're hearing and liking. The last thing we need is to paint ourselves into the boring corners of sameness.

KDS
« Reply #95 on: September 14, 2015, 08:38:26 AM »

While I've moved away from heavier music, I absolutely hope you'll speak up for whatever you're hearing and liking. The last thing we need is to paint ourselves into the boring corners of sameness.

Will do Capt. 

Thanks. 
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 14, 2015, 09:30:47 AM »

The new Pugwash is pretty good. Think Beatles/ELO/Power Pop:

http://www.amazon.com/Intimately-Friends-Translucent-Includes-Download/dp/B00XWSL8DA

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 15, 2015, 09:49:28 PM »

Deerhunter - "Snakeskin"
This one's coming in October. When I listen to this song, I play it at least twice in a row. What a killer groove.
I've never liked Deerhunter. Like, at all. Maybe it's the almost-Bo-Diddly beat, but this is all right! What a creepy video...

I had the same reaction, actually. Never a big fan of what I'd heard before, but I quite liked that one.
They released another new song from the album. I don't think it's as good, but I like it after a couple of listens.
This is the link

On an unrelated-to-Deerhunter note, the band U.S. Girls is one I'm becoming increasingly interested in. I wasn't too keen on the style or her voice at first, but it is growing me.
This is also a link, but not the same link as the other one
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 17, 2015, 09:46:39 AM »

This isn't a new release yet, but it's an impending one. You might have heard this before, but I don't think I did. If I did, I forgot. I'm kind of an idiot, so that's possible.

Ryan Adams releases 1989 on Monday. If that album title sounds familiar, it's because it was a #1 album last year, when Taylor Swift released it: Adams is releasing a cover of the entire album. The track "Bad Blood" was debuted on Beats 1. http://pitchfork.com/news/61239-ryan-adams-covers-taylor-swifts-bad-blood/

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 17, 2015, 11:16:30 AM »

This isn't a new release yet, but it's an impending one. You might have heard this before, but I don't think I did. If I did, I forgot. I'm kind of an idiot, so that's possible.

Ryan Adams releases 1989 on Monday. If that album title sounds familiar, it's because it was a #1 album last year, when Taylor Swift released it: Adams is releasing a cover of the entire album. The track "Bad Blood" was debuted on Beats 1. http://pitchfork.com/news/61239-ryan-adams-covers-taylor-swifts-bad-blood/

Yeah, I saw that back around the time it was first mentioned (I'm really on top of things this year), and watched the Instagram (or whatever) post that he put up with a clip of "Welcome to New York". He described the album to be in the style of the Smiths, but it more or less just sounded like Bruce Springsteen. So, that was disappointing. Still, I think there are probably good songs on that album that will be more palatable to people who aren't readily inclined to listen to pop music.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 11:22:14 AM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx