gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680772 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 12:44:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2015 New Releases  (Read 27703 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 12, 2015, 03:50:55 PM »

Because it ain't 2014 anymore.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 03:58:49 PM »

Apparently over his disillusionment with songs and albums as forms--or whatever sentiments I had perceived as predictably but tediously pretentious back around the Age of Adz--Sufjan Stevens has announced a new album that Pitchfork says is being billed as his return to folk roots... It's out in March. The teaser has a pretty little snippet, anyway.

http://pitchfork.com/news/58019-sufjan-stevens-announces-new-album-carrie-lowell/

I've always been impressed by his talent and underwhelmed by the results. Here's hoping...

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 04:48:07 PM »

Yep, the new Sufjan is on my recently-made wish list, along with these other ones:
Ryley Walker - Primrose Green
Brian Wilson - No Pier Pressure
Panda Bear - Meets the Grim Reaper
Bob Dylan - Shadows in the Night

And these possible ones:
Maston - TBA
Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - TBA

Plus all the forthcoming copyright releases, a new Bob Bootleg Series, Roxy Music reissues, etc.

Should be a good year.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 04:52:10 PM by XTC is a really good band » Logged
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 04:54:48 PM »

I just listened to Belle and Sebastian's new album 'Girls In Peacetime Want To Dance' and it doesn't disappoint. I was surprised at how dance beat dominated it is. There's a couple of songs that go full-on Pet Shop Boys and don't really work much for me, but there's a some really good tracks on here also. For the most part the precious twee Belle and Sebastian of old is MIA in favor of sweeping full bodied arrangements. Some of this stuff reminds me of Roxy Music's dance period. Personally, I like it when artists change things up from album to album, and this album is quite unlike any that the group have made before. If you don't want to wait until it gets released on 1/20/15, the whole thing is streaming on NPR right now.

http://www.npr.org/2015/01/11/376089901/first-listen-belle-and-sebastian-girls-in-peacetime-want-to-dance?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=nprmusic&utm_term=music&utm_content=20150111

Favorites for me: Perfect Couples (great hook!), The Everlasting Muse, The Party Line, Today This Army's For Peace
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 05:01:34 PM by krabklaw » Logged

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 05:21:43 PM »

What I'm most excited for this year are B&S, B Wilson, Of Montreal, Dylan, and the two I mentioned in that earlier post (Ronson, Trainor). But as often is the case, it's the ones I don't know of yet that are really exciting.

Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 08:35:54 PM »

Gonna be a new Rundgren album this year too, I believe.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 03:46:31 PM »

I haven't paid enough attention to write something remotely interesting or insightful yet (as if I ever were), but I had the Trainor and Ronson albums running in the background at work today. Unfortunately I was busy enough that I couldn't really pay much attention. (What is it with work, always interfering with listening to music? And don't even get me started on its impact to my drinking.)

Meghan Trainor's album, Title (same title as the previously released EP and a tune on both) is underwhelming. I know I'm way too old and the wrong gender to be the target market, especially after what happened with "All About That Bass," but I was energized by her stuff last year. It was nowhere near groundbreaking, but rather a fun synthesis of obvious reference points that really worked. Whatever you think of it, at some level you have to acknowledge that kind of mass appeal: she can't be doing everything wrong!

But the album makes it feel like she's a one-trick pony. Sing-rapped verses or bridges, girl-group or doo-wop inflected refrains, maybe a more hip-hop style on the bridge/breakdown. Enough double entendres or flat-out naughty bits to get the attention of tweens. Even some of her melodic intervals in the hooks are either similar or the same (but I want to say that tentatively, pending further review...don't want to damn her for self-plagiarism by mistake). Not that some of those new tunes aren't good or fun. At this point, if I were a ranking man--which I'm not--it'd be in the 5-6 range out of 10.

I'm less prepared to speak about Ronson, so I won't.

Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 04:39:28 PM »

I guess the thing that turns me off about stuff like Meghan Trainor is, my 9 1/2 year old daughter has a bunch of her stuff. Something about that fact makes it impossible for me to really like it, especially on a level where I'd put it on my ipod. I mean, it's one thing for me to get my kids to like my music, it's another for them (especially when it comes to girl pop) to get me to like something they like. It makes me feel kinda creepy and inappropriate, which I know makes no sense. Sure, it's kinda catchy; but of the 3 songs I've heard of hers, it's hard to tell them apart.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 04:45:47 PM »

The 'all about that bass' tune is pure hooks nailed right on the HEAD.  A hit song through and through.  I can't believe it wasn't the top song of 2014.  Mass appeal and then some.  ALL age groups...both sexes.   Her 'Lips are Sealed' follow-up is good...but it's a 2014 tune too and it's hard to follow up PERFECTION...Just as Brian had trouble following 'Good Vibrations'.

As for 2015?  It's WAY too early to even begin to discuss.  My gawd!!!  We're not even 2 weeks IN.  The best stuff hasn't even been written yet...let alone recorded or released.

I'm with the Captain.  Let's drink...and to hell with work. Cool Guy

Why?  Because it's all about that booze, 'bout that booze...no triple  ...  [sec]
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 04:50:37 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 04:58:01 PM »

"All About The Bass" or whatever it's called is one of the worst things I've ever heard. Like, I don't know if I've ever heard a more obnoxious vocal on anything. Just... what's the deal, man? Cry

I heard her sing some other song which I recognized from a commercial and it was worlds more pleasant than that song. What the fuck r u DOING TO ME, WORLD

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 05:05:51 PM »

imo

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2015, 05:06:04 PM »

Runners, you need a blog. LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2015, 05:15:23 PM »

Different ears.  Different reaction.  To me...she was a breath of FRESH air because she didn't sound like all the other chicklettes all sounding like they came off some mass production line...

And the song was just plain FUN.  A fun song about gettin' lucky.  And it used real instruments too.

And...people paid money to own it.   That Runners doesn't dig it may be all the blessing it requires. Wink

Anyway enough about that...it's still being played in HIGH rotation for something like the 8th month and THAT is way too long and far too much over-exposure.  I'm pretty sure that folks who like it must be more than just a little tired of it by now.  Radio is stupid.

I'm gonna go make that drink now...a triple.  [no sec]

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2015, 05:55:46 PM »

Gonna be a new Rundgren album this year too, I believe.

Wow! I hadn't read about that, but I just checked TR Connection forums and apparently the album 'Global' has already been delivered to his label and scheduled for an early April release. Not much else is known except that at least some of it continues in the dance/electronica vein of his last couple of releases. Looking forward to it for sure.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2015, 06:08:56 AM »

As for 2015?  It's WAY too early to even begin to discuss.  My gawd!!!  We're not even 2 weeks IN.  The best stuff hasn't even been written yet...let alone recorded or released.

It's not a year-end summary or best-of, it's a real-time thing. If there's music being released, hey, may as well listen to and talk about it.

Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2015, 08:45:37 AM »

First new B.C Camplight album since 2007 is out this month - http://m.spin.com/articles/bc-camplight-you-shouldve-gone-to-school-stream/

Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2015, 10:36:04 AM »

It's not a year-end summary or best-of, it's a real-time thing. If there's music being released, hey, may as well listen to and talk about it.

Well...I've got the new Cat Stevens album coming from Amazon...so I'll have something to talk about soon.  New Neil Diamond lp too.

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2015, 02:14:10 PM »

Sure Brian's new album will be a treat, but one I'm also looking forward to is Sam Beam/Iron and Wine:  http://www.ironandwine.com/home-m?frontpage=true

Really Sam without his band.  This is an archive release of more of the stuff he recorded at his house (late 90's/early2000's) on 4-Track cassette and drew from for his first album, The Creek Drank the Cradle and EP, The Sea & the Rhythm.  Actually, all the songs Sam did with Calexico on In the Reins EP came from this same period (though newly recorded in 2005).  Folks have been bitchin' at him for years to put more of these out.  He has created Black Cricket Recording Co. to release concerts and other rare recordings.  This will be out on 24 February.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2015, 04:38:00 PM »

I heard about that new I&W album as well, and am anxious to hear it. But honestly, I prefer his more fully arranged work. I might be the only person on earth who feels that way, from what I can tell.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2015, 08:36:25 PM »

Brian's album
Ryan Adams' monthly singles/anything else he may do
Noel Gallagher's new album in early March
Daniel Johns' album should he actually finish it
Brand New's new album (if they actually finish it), although my interest in them has went waaaay down in the last six years since their last album

THAT'S IT THUS FAR Cry

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2015, 09:17:42 PM »

The Sleater-Kinney reunion album!
http://www.npr.org/2015/01/11/376085344/first-listen-sleater-kinney-no-cities-to-love

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2015, 06:01:44 PM »

I know it was available in 2014 as a single, but "Feel Right" by Mark Ronson feat. Mystikal (released in 2015 on Ronson's album) has fully permeated my being. I sit through boring-ass meetings at work grooving to the beat. And I mean physically: my fingers or feet are tapping it, my lips are almost mouthing the words. The track is one of my favorite tracks in forfuckingever. And Mystikal just kills it. It's so great. So great. So great. My obsession at the moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TuYWAaslug

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2015, 10:21:22 PM »

Forgot to mention this one earlier, here's another album I've been looking forward to in 2015, comes out in 4 days:

I heard their single, "Continental Shelf", and I'm excited to hear the rest - which you can do now on NPR, if you are so inclined. Stream the album: www.npr.org/2015/01/11/375894264/first-listen-viet-cong-viet-cong. They're said to be inspired by the late 70's/early 80's band This Heat, if that means anything to you.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 12:07:37 AM by XTC is a really good band » Logged
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2015, 10:35:11 PM »

Also, if these are of interest to anyone:

Ryley Walker's new single from his forthcoming album (both of the same name) was released not long ago. It's similar to his last lush folk album, although this one seems a bit lighter in tone. You can check that out here: https://soundcloud.com/deadoceans/ryley-walker-primrose-green

Nick Cave released a new recording of Leonard Cohen's "Avalanche" a few days ago. Probably means nothing to most people, but it was the first song on his first album with the Bad Seeds back in 1984. It's interesting to compare the two to see where he started and where he is now (hint: it's two very different places). You can hear that here: http://music-mix.ew.com/2015/01/09/hear-nick-caves-new-cover-of-leonard-cohens-avalanche-for-black-sails-exclusive/ (it's the first video).
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 10:44:19 PM by XTC is a really good band » Logged
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2015, 04:34:34 AM »

There's another Leonard Cohen cover on the excellent new album by the Chemistry Experiment : https://chemistryexperiment.bandcamp.com/album/gongs-played-by-voice

Please delete my account
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx