gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:47:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2015 New Releases  (Read 27556 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 17, 2015, 11:54:56 AM »

Smiths? Ha, I definitely didn't get that impression listening to "Bad Blood."

I haven't been a Ryan Adams fan over the years, so it's more a curiosity than real object of interest for me. I really like the idea, though. Contemporaneous covers are great to help people hear music and establish a songbook, as opposed to having music be so persona-driven.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 17, 2015, 11:58:27 AM »

Deerhunter - "Snakeskin"
This one's coming in October. When I listen to this song, I play it at least twice in a row. What a killer groove.
I've never liked Deerhunter. Like, at all. Maybe it's the almost-Bo-Diddly beat, but this is all right! What a creepy video...

I had the same reaction, actually. Never a big fan of what I'd heard before, but I quite liked that one.
They released another new song from the album. I don't think it's as good, but I like it after a couple of listens.
This is the link

On an unrelated-to-Deerhunter note, the band U.S. Girls is one I'm becoming increasingly interested in. I wasn't too keen on the style or her voice at first, but it is growing me.
This is also a link, but not the same link as the other one

I might be getting that Deerhunter album.

The US Girls song (and video) is pretty good.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 19, 2015, 07:48:55 AM »

Yesterday I bought the new Lana Del Rey album, Honeymoon. However, I have only listened to a few songs, and thus can't really speak to it. I guess that makes this post a waste of all our time. Oh well.

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 19, 2015, 08:05:06 PM »

I bought two new albums this week.  Ben Folds' new chamber pop album So There which has some great songs on it.  I also bought Darlene Love's new album produced by Steve Van Zandt, which is a lot of fun with some solid new songs by the likes of Bruce Springsteen and Elvis Costello plus an explosive cover of "River Deep, Mountain High".  Both are well-worth checking out. 

I've become increasingly obsessed with the Beach House album Depression Cherry which I mentioned earlier in the thread, it's probably my favorite album of the year and I hope it gets some Grammy attention, at least in the alternative categories.  Victoria Legrand's voice is unreal in the best way.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 20, 2015, 07:49:50 AM »

I've become increasingly obsessed with the Beach House album Depression Cherry which I mentioned earlier in the thread, it's probably my favorite album of the year and I hope it gets some Grammy attention, at least in the alternative categories.  Victoria Legrand's voice is unreal in the best way.

Maybe I'll have to give this another shot. My sole listening left me with almost no impression at all. Not unpleasant, but totally inconsequential. Nothing stood out to me, and once it was done, I couldn't sing a single line. But if you think it's that good, I'll listen again to see whether--as is entirely possible--I just wasn't in the mood, or was missing something, or some other such circumstance. (Though, to be fair, I've never liked Beach House from their initial Myspace-and-blog buzz onward. So maybe they're just not my thing.)

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 20, 2015, 11:54:52 PM »

Has anyone else listened to this and if so, thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leu2STVH8Iw

I listened to about half of it. Honestly, I thought it was boring. I think people spend too much time trying to recreate the sounds of earlier eras ... but usually they're lacking the most important part, which is the material. That's how I felt here. I'd just lump it in with some High Llamas, some Beachwood Sparks, and dozens of other bands. You'll never be better than classic bands at being those bands: find something else to do. Not to say you can't pick and choose bits (as if you could avoid it).
Yeah, I'm not overwhelmed, either. I'm more or less of a casual fan of Ducktails. More of a fan of Real Estate. Although I do like the song "Heaven's Room." Overall it's a chill album I guess.
What era/classic bands do you think they were trying to sound like? Just wondering.

I listened to Depression Cherry a little bit ago. I like it, but I feel like I'll have to give it some more listens before I truly appreciate it as much as the rest of everyone has Tongue.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 01:08:52 AM by undercover-m » Logged

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 20, 2015, 11:56:39 PM »

Just got Dr. Dre's Compton.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 21, 2015, 03:26:36 PM »

This isn't a new release yet, but it's an impending one. You might have heard this before, but I don't think I did. If I did, I forgot. I'm kind of an idiot, so that's possible.

Ryan Adams releases 1989 on Monday. If that album title sounds familiar, it's because it was a #1 album last year, when Taylor Swift released it: Adams is releasing a cover of the entire album. The track "Bad Blood" was debuted on Beats 1. http://pitchfork.com/news/61239-ryan-adams-covers-taylor-swifts-bad-blood/

Yeah, I saw that back around the time it was first mentioned (I'm really on top of things this year), and watched the Instagram (or whatever) post that he put up with a clip of "Welcome to New York". He described the album to be in the style of the Smiths, but it more or less just sounded like Bruce Springsteen. So, that was disappointing. Still, I think there are probably good songs on that album that will be more palatable to people who aren't readily inclined to listen to pop music.

Amusingly enough, while the new 1989 was released today, Father John Misty also released a version of "Blank Space" today, saying something like he was "reinterpreting that classic Ryan Adams album, 1989." Heh. I sampled a few of Adams's versions and decided to buy the album. I like the sound of it a lot more than any Adams I've heard before. Very (intentionally, per his Beats 1 interview) Nebraska-like vibe.

I also pre-ordered Joanna Newsom's album, which has two tracks for immediate download. Looking forward to that. The new song has programmed beats--that's new for Newsom.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 21, 2015, 04:28:54 PM »

Are we talking about "Leaving the City"? I think it was released earlier this morning. The YouTube link if anyone wants to hear it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keke7BGzJPI. I thought the drums on this song didn't exactly fit with the rest of what was going on, but I didn't realize they were programmed. Maybe that explains why I came away with that impression.

I saw that Father John Misty thing today, but I'm not really a fan of his. He's doing the songs in a pretty obvious Lou Reed style. He released a cover of "Welcome to New York" today, too.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 21, 2015, 04:36:01 PM »

I don't know what to make of FJM. I wasn't big on Fleet Foxes, and I haven't been big on his solo stuff. Yet "Bored in the USA' was clever and in spots funny, I'll give him that. And he's a talented guy. As for this, yes, it's obviously a VU schtick--and schtick being the key word. Comedy in music troubles people sometimes, I think, because we want our artists to be artists, to take it as seriously as the people who collect and memorize and analyze do.

I'll listen again to the J Newsom tune, but on my one listen the drums didn't sound real to me. Whether programmed or not, it is definitely not typical of her previous sounds.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 21, 2015, 04:47:43 PM »

I'm going to retract my "programmed" comment. I think they're real drums. I think it's just the unusual beat--the kind of beat I could imagine being programmed, a mechanized but slightly herky jerky--with the very artificial sounding distorted guitar brought me to that comment. But it was a leap that I now think was wrong.

It is really out of her historical turf, though, which was my larger point. Beautiful song. I'm excited for the new album, having liked both songs.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 21, 2015, 06:00:48 PM »

I like the sound of it a lot more than any Adams I've heard before. Very (intentionally, per his Beats 1 interview) Nebraska-like vibe.

I want to add to this, too. While the things I heard first reminded me very much of Nebraska, there are some fuller-band arrangements going on, as well, such as in "Style." I'm just listening to this album for the first time straight through in full, and I have to say, I am surprised at how good it is.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 21, 2015, 06:24:37 PM »

I don't know what to make of FJM. I wasn't big on Fleet Foxes, and I haven't been big on his solo stuff. Yet "Bored in the USA' was clever and in spots funny, I'll give him that. And he's a talented guy. As for this, yes, it's obviously a VU schtick--and schtick being the key word. Comedy in music troubles people sometimes, I think, because we want our artists to be artists, to take it as seriously as the people who collect and memorize and analyze do.

Well, it's not necessarily the humor that drives me away. There are some lines of his like "I'm no doctor, but that monkey might be right" that I think are good. I don't really care for what I've heard by him, but I think I'm mainly put off by his Father John Misty persona/personality. Like, "save me, president Jesus" is such obvious pandering to the hip, faux-intelligent kids that I can't believe anyone falls for it. Plus, I have so much respect and love for Lou Reed that I really dislike his appropriation of his music/vocal style.

In general, I would agree that humor does drive people away. I was thinking a little while ago about what a curious case Frank Zappa was. He gave America exactly what they wanted with his smutty, over the top, sexual jokes and was eventually shunned as a result. No point in bringing this up, really. Just thought it was an interesting result.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 22, 2015, 06:56:23 PM »

In general, I would agree that humor does drive people away. I was thinking a little while ago about what a curious case Frank Zappa was. He gave America exactly what they wanted with his smutty, over the top, sexual jokes and was eventually shunned as a result. No point in bringing this up, really. Just thought it was an interesting result.

One of the most unique cases in pop music history, without question. And honestly, the more sophomoric he got, the less I cared. Yet to answer his album-title question, yes.

thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 22, 2015, 09:30:10 PM »

Well, it's not necessarily the humor that drives me away. There are some lines of his like "I'm no doctor, but that monkey might be right" that I think are good. I don't really care for what I've heard by him, but I think I'm mainly put off by his Father John Misty persona/personality. Like, "save me, president Jesus" is such obvious pandering to the hip, faux-intelligent kids that I can't believe anyone falls for it. Plus, I have so much respect and love for Lou Reed that I really dislike his appropriation of his music/vocal style.

That's the thing, though, the fact that it's such obvious pandering is the joke itself. It's not poor writing, but most of his humor is meta-humor.
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 23, 2015, 07:49:16 AM »

In general, I would agree that humor does drive people away.

This is something that I also find really interesting. I love humor in music and it can come in so many forms from clever lyrics to satire to musical jokes. I think Luther's right, it's like a compulsion for people to take musicians as serious artists and dislike their attempts at levity because music fans take music as such serious art. In college, my friends and I were obsessed with an indie band who had very funny songs. They were playing a bar in an arty area just off campus and I went to buy tickets in advance a few weeks and the guy behind the bar started asking me all these questions. He said, "So, what's their deal? They're like funny or something? But they're a real band?" Like there was no possibility of a group of people writing songs that were musically valid and could make you laugh.

As for Father John Misty, I really like his stuff. I'm with thatjacob in that I always took it as a meta thing. Like Portlandia; satirizing hipsters while very much acknowledging their own hipsterdom.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 05, 2015, 04:13:40 PM »

My latest purchase is by Stanley Brinks (nee Andre Herman Dune) and the Wave Pictures' My Ass. You may recall my basking in their 2014 "Orange Juice." Or you may not. Anyway, I'm on my first listen to this gloriously titled (yes, I'm that immature that I find it funny) album. Comments will have to come later, but I anticipate typical AHD/SB style of highly formulaic (meaning within formal structures, not meaning by-the-numbers. there's a difference) songs with clever lyrics from an outsider character. Many will bore me. Some will delight me. There will be clarinet and/or sax playing what sounds to me like klezmer.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 07, 2015, 02:28:10 PM »

'nother new Beach House album next Friday.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 07, 2015, 02:54:31 PM »

That was quick. Unfortunately for me, I've never really liked a Beach House album. Maybe this time I'll get lucky.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 12, 2015, 03:27:43 PM »

A few days ago, Eleanor Friedberger released a new single, "False Alphabet City." She is one of the siblings (along with brother Matt) who compose Fiery Furnaces, one of my favorite bands of the past 10 years or so, but also releases solo material that, like this, is a lot more straight-ahead than FF's lunacy. I really liked her "Stare at the Sun" a few years ago, and this song to me is a worthy successor to that. It's a very '70s NYC, bouncy stroll of a tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-haAAUEAfGw

Not sure whether an album is to follow, but one would hope so.

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 13, 2015, 07:59:31 PM »

'nother new Beach House album next Friday.

They did a pretty cool thing on their website.  Instead of releasing a single, they ask you to pick three songs of theirs that you like the most and they pick a single for you.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 17, 2015, 06:38:34 AM »

Bought and am listening to the new Deerhunter album, Fading Frontier. Thanks to Bubbly Waves for the tip: he pointed out the leadoff single, "Snakeskin," a while back. I would've seen it was released and ignored this album entirely otherwise.

I won't pretend to be an expert on their earlier music, as I was only familiar with it in passing in the past. It seemed badly produced, sometimes meandering, a little noisier than I like. What little I came across was enough to convince me not to bother with the rest. This album is really more up my alley: good pop, slightly off kilter, cool arrangements, well produced.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 17, 2015, 09:03:16 AM »

In hugely important, breaking news, I've begun whittling down to my annual best-of-year playlist. It'll follow my typical rules: one song per artist unless there is some really spectacular reason to make an exception; about traditional double-album length; cohesive running order (not thematic or anything, but just sounding good together, nice flow). Obviously the year isn't yet over and there is plenty left to hear, but it does take a while to get through everything (my 2015 folder shows 399 songs and about 24 hours of music).

As I progress, I'll post my working list mostly to call for additional suggestions. Inevitably, early the following year, I hear something I'd have wanted to include had I heard it.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 20, 2015, 09:38:51 PM »

I'll probably end up making one as well, although it's more likely I'll just make an album list.

Anyway, I realize I'm the only fan around these parts, but this album is so great.

I love you, Protomartyr, and your new album, The Agent Intellect.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 21, 2015, 05:33:01 AM »

An album list might be tough for me this year unless I had the strong understanding myself that "best of the year" doesn't mean "great." There are a few albums I've liked, but not all that many that is even call, start to finish, really good.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx