gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:37:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 ... 75 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce Tour 2015  (Read 390946 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: May 28, 2015, 01:49:55 AM »

Setlist:

Surfin'
Catch a wave
Do it again
Don't back down
Little Honda
It's okay
Goin to the beach
Surfin safari

Surfer girl
Wendy
Farmers daughter (Brian and Jeff doubling)
then i kissed her (Brian)
Please let me wonder (Bruce)
Kiss me baby
Let him run wild
I can hear music (Brian)
Dance dance dance
Good to my baby (Jeff)
You're so good to me (Bruce)
Why do fools (Jeff and Scott)
When I grow up
Darlin (Jeff)
Cottonfields
Getcha back (Dave, returned)
Don't worry baby
Little deuce coupe
Shut down
I get around

Part two

California dreaming
Sloop john B
Wouldn't it be nice
California girls
Warmth of the sun
You still believe in me (Jeff)
Heroes and villains (john)
Surfs up (Scott and Jeff)
Their hearts were full o spring
Disney girls
Til I die
All this is that
All I want to do
God only knows
Pisces brothers
Good vibrations
Do you wanna dance
Kokomo
Sail on sailor
All summer long
Help me Rhonda
Rock and roll music
Barbara Ann
Surfin USA

Encore:
Fun fun fun

What could they have added? Wild honey? Summer in Paradise?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 01:55:59 AM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: May 28, 2015, 01:55:28 AM »

Who can forget his love of the cantina verse and Our Prayer? Mike Love was always such a staunch advocate of SMiLE music and it's good to see him so proud of Brian's legacy.
Last time I looked at the cover of Smile it had the artist as The Beach Boys. Mike has also never knocked the music, just some of Van Dyke's lyrics. Brian will be remembered just as much for I Get Around and California Girls as for Smile.  

Not the impression I have got over many years of reading various articles. Like this one: http://somethingelsereviews.com/2014/05/22/such-weirdness-going-on-mike-love-still-doesnt-get-the-beach-boys-smile/

In Mike's own words:

“I have mixed feelings about it,” Love tells the Austin Chronicle. “I think there was some great music on SMiLE, some incredible tracks. But at that point in time, there were so many drugs being taken by Brian and other members of the group, and there was a lot of collaborating with people other than myself. I had literally nothing to do on anything on the SMiLE album, so naturally I was a little upset.”

And:

“There was such weirdness going on at the time. I’m not trying to poo-poo it, but it was just a little too weird for my taste. Then Brian shelved the album, and whenever you have an unfinished symphony it takes on mythological proportions. I do think there’s some beautiful tracks, like ‘Wonderful’ and ‘Heroes and Villains,’ but there’s a negative side to it too.”

These comments seem to indicate two separate problems for Mike (apart from VDP's 'acid alliteration'): it's weirdness and the fact that he wasn't involved enough with it.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 01:57:15 AM by Ang Jones » Logged
jamesellaby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: May 28, 2015, 01:59:42 AM »

I think it's fair to say he didn't enthusiastically introduce Surf's Up last night, and, like I said earlier, even checked with Jeff that it was actually from Smile. But they played it, so that's good enough for me.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: May 28, 2015, 02:08:32 AM »

I think it's fair to say he didn't enthusiastically introduce Surf's Up last night, and, like I said earlier, even checked with Jeff that it was actually from Smile. But they played it, so that's good enough for me.

Mmmmmm… suspect that might have been a joke. It was the 71 arrangement by and large, anyway.

“We live in divisive times.”
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: May 28, 2015, 02:11:08 AM »

Of course Mike also sued Brian over SMiLE (despite having admitted "I had literally nothing to do on anything on the SMiLE album" as detailed in my above post): 'accusing Wilson of promoting his 2004 album, "Smile," in a manner that "shamelessly misappropriated Mike Love's songs, likeness and the Beach Boys trademark, as well as the 'Smile' album itself."'

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/60785/mike-love-sues-brian-wilson-over-smile

"Beach Boys lawsuit dismissed
May 16, 2007, Randy Lewis

"A U.S. District Court judge in Los Angeles has dismissed Beach Boys co-founder Mike Love’s 2005 lawsuit against his cousin and former band mate Brian Wilson.

"Love argued in the lawsuit that he and the group had been harmed financially by the 2004 distribution in the United Kingdom of a free CD featuring Beach Boys songs rerecorded by Wilson in conjunction with the release of Wilson’s “Smile” album. The suit claimed that the free CD also hurt potential sales of future Beach Boys releases.

"In a decision entered Thursday, Judge Audrey Collins wrote that “the Court finds that there are no triable issues of material fact.”   https://arkhonia.wordpress.com/2011/11/01/smile-–-my-first-25-years-unleash-the-love-1967-2011/
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 02:17:29 AM by Ang Jones » Logged
Nicko1234
« Reply #1030 on: May 28, 2015, 02:23:55 AM »

LOL

I just knew that when I read a 5 star review in the press, saw glowing comments on other boards and read on Twitter about people being so moved by Pisces Brothers that tears were shed I only needed to come here to get an accurate view of things.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: May 28, 2015, 02:33:01 AM »

God only knows
Pisces brothers
Good vibrations

How cheeky.

That must have been weird to hear...one of the best songs of all time followed by Pisces Brothers, followed by one of the best songs of all time. Does it make Pisces Brothers worse, or does it help ignore it's badness by sandwiching it like that?

Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: May 28, 2015, 02:38:22 AM »

I *would* love to hear how the did All I Wanna Do. That's the first time any member of the band has ever played that song live.

Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: May 28, 2015, 03:22:54 AM »

God only knows
Pisces brothers
Good vibrations

How cheeky.

That must have been weird to hear...one of the best songs of all time followed by Pisces Brothers, followed by one of the best songs of all time. Does it make Pisces Brothers worse, or does it help ignore it's badness by sandwiching it like that?

I love All I Wanna Do but how anyone can be moved to tears by Pisces Brothers is a mystery to me.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: May 28, 2015, 03:52:04 AM »

God only knows
Pisces brothers
Good vibrations

How cheeky.

I love All I Wanna Do but how anyone can be moved to tears by Pisces Brothers is a mystery to me.
Well I suppose it is a matter of personal taste but I've seen it many times and people are moved. It is also the whole dynamic of our beloved and lost music artists, and the fragility of life. 

Have you seen it performed live?
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1035 on: May 28, 2015, 03:55:59 AM »

God only knows
Pisces brothers
Good vibrations

How cheeky.

Yes. Last year. And no, I wasn't moved.

Well I suppose it is a matter of personal taste but I've seen it many times and people are moved. It is also the whole dynamic of our beloved and lost music artists, and the fragility of life.  

Yes. Last year. And no, I wasn't moved. I found the melody repetitive. The lyrics didn't scan well (birth - day for example).  It seems like an attempt to claim a connection to someone with whom Mike seems to have little in common. I didn't notice an emotional reaction from most of the audience in fact. It didn't get wild applause.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 04:03:31 AM by Ang Jones » Logged
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: May 28, 2015, 04:01:17 AM »

How lovely that when M&B peform a stunning set, which included a song that people on this board have been whining about for years, some posters are reminding us of a lawsuit from 10 years ago and how Mike could have been more supportive of Brian in 1966.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: May 28, 2015, 04:04:44 AM »

How lovely that when M&B peform a stunning set, which included a song that people on this board have been whining about for years, some posters are reminding us of a lawsuit from 10 years ago and how Mike could have been more supportive of Brian in 1966.

Next time Mike refers to Brian's drug taking (that happened decades ago) perhaps you would like to criticise him too.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: May 28, 2015, 04:18:58 AM »

Sorry to highjack the thread for a minute, but I have an extra ticket for the Sunday May 31st London show for sale.
Fantastic seat in the Arena, block A (by the stage), row 7.  Good price for a real fan.

Use your chance and come to see an historical show!

Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: May 28, 2015, 04:24:56 AM »

Next time Mike refers to Brian's drug taking (that happened decades ago) perhaps you would like to criticise him too.

Well he hasn't  attempted at derailing a thread over here lately, has he?

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: May 28, 2015, 04:45:03 AM »

The reason for my posts was the assertion that Mike had  always been positive about SMiLE. I wasn't the only person to have commented on this. I had heard that Mike wouldn't allow this song during C50 so it seems rather odd for him to be including it in the new tour.

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: May 28, 2015, 04:48:34 AM »

God only knows
Pisces brothers
Good vibrations

How cheeky.

Yes. Last year. And no, I wasn't moved.

Yes. Last year. And no, I wasn't moved. I found the melody repetitive. The lyrics didn't scan well (birth - day for example).  It seems like an attempt to claim a connection to someone with whom Mike seems to have little in common. I didn't notice an emotional reaction from most of the audience in fact. It didn't get wild applause.
Well, Ang, you'd be among the minority who hasn't been moved, and I've seen it a couple of dozen times.  It gets very respectfully enthusiastic applause from those whose music formation happened in the late 60's.  I wasn't there, and, short of "being there" it would be difficult to make that determination that there was "little in common."
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: May 28, 2015, 04:54:27 AM »

The reason for my posts was the assertion that Mike had  always been positive about SMiLE. I wasn't the only person to have commented on this. I had heard that Mike wouldn't allow this song during C50 so it seems rather odd for him to be including it in the new tour.
Perhaps Mike was "standing in the shoes of BRI" to protect the brand.  That would mean he was protecting Brian, too.  The court found he was deprived of lyric royalties, earlier, but it also appears that it was the hand of Murry. 

Mike sang beautifully on Smile. It would be hard to make an argument that someone who did not support the work would sing so well, and not make only a half-hearted effort.  Or, refuse to sing at all, which would support that theory.
Nicko1234
« Reply #1043 on: May 28, 2015, 05:02:40 AM »

When was the last time Brian sang Surf`s Up in concert again? I guess Mike must have vetoed it from a fair few of his solo shows as well...

Ang`s posting has certainly improved though. Back in 2004 when Mike and Bruce were getting rave reviews for their UK tour Scott Totten had to post on the blueboard due to her posting false information about the content of the shows. A much better effort this time around.  Smiley
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: May 28, 2015, 06:40:22 AM »

When was the last time Brian sang Surf`s Up in concert again? I guess Mike must have vetoed it from a fair few of his solo shows as well...

Ang`s posting has certainly improved though. Back in 2004 when Mike and Bruce were getting rave reviews for their UK tour Scott Totten had to post on the blueboard due to her posting false information about the content of the shows. A much better effort this time around.  Smiley

Yes, I remember it well. I had accused them of doing a medley of abridged songs when in fact it was a segue of back to back unabridged songs. They went through them pretty briskly as I recall hence the incorrect statement.

Wish I could return the compliment. Afraid not. If you are whom I believe you to be, and your citing my earlier posts certainly convinces me I'm right, your style hasn't changed AT ALL.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 06:50:28 AM by Ang Jones » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: May 28, 2015, 06:57:31 AM »

@Ang

Honestly, I don't know how you can mistake or confuse Mike's comments of not liking the conditions in which the Smile music was created and the actual music. Two completely different things. I am sure that all of the guys didn't like all of the songs ever created by any band member for any album. I am sure that once that song is chosen as a possible track, that they get behind it and do their very best to see it gets recorded and is given the full treatment.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Nicko1234
« Reply #1046 on: May 28, 2015, 07:08:20 AM »

I should also say well done and thank you to Scott Totten. He posted here that he was going to talk to Mike about adding All I Wanna Do to the setlist and it wasn`t an empty promise. A class act.
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: May 28, 2015, 07:53:52 AM »

All I Wanna Do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6Q6qNt6qks
Surfs Up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ct1HCqVwmnw
Cottonfield: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIp4J5iqC1s
Farmer's Daughter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWPq527RTjI

I'm not uploading these, by the way, just finding them on YouTube. Looks like someone taped most, or all, of the deep cuts.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 08:04:34 AM by startBBtoday » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: May 28, 2015, 07:54:04 AM »

I should also say well done and thank you to Scott Totten. He posted here that he was going to talk to Mike about adding All I Wanna Do to the setlist and it wasn`t an empty promise. A class act.
That's right, he did say that. That is cool that they came through on it. Hopefully they will add it to the U.S. shows, as well.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: May 28, 2015, 08:03:56 AM »

They sound fantastic on both All I Want to Do and Surf's Up! Cheers to them for pulling em' out!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 ... 75 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx