gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:43:33 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "We Got Love" studio version finally getting official release!  (Read 22163 times)
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2015, 02:27:28 PM »

Oh so it WILL play in CD players. Someone on here told me it wouldn't.   Tongue
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2015, 03:08:02 PM »

First of all, I am in no way complaining.  Let me say that right out.  But my hopes were that these post 1969 Reprise LPs would be re-issued at some points with bonus tracks.  And there are plenty from the Holland era.  I realize that sort of thing is difficult, with inter-group politics and diminishing record sales but it would be unfortunate if this released made that sort of thing impossible, at least for now.  I'd hate to have to wait until 2023 for a Holland sessions copyright protection release.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2015, 03:37:26 PM »

Err...

I posted the same information over a month ago.

"We Got Love" studio version finally getting official release!l

But seeing as that was over a month ago, I guess it must have gotten buried over the past month.

But regardless, this isn't really new news.

It would be good, however, to see when this is finally coming out.
bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2015, 01:35:28 AM »

Oops, my bad. Thought this was "brand new" news...

// Update: two threads merged by admin, that's why the past 7-8 posts may look funny... Smiley

« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 10:53:10 AM by bsten » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2015, 04:34:52 AM »

I could listen to that pedal steel intro for hours, I love that!
I'm happy this will get a(nother) official release. Blondie and Ricky had great material and I'd love to hear more of it.

BTW this would be another one that would've been a better choice for "Stars&Stripes" than most of what was used.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2015, 08:44:22 AM »

I'm happy this will get a(nother) official release. Blondie and Ricky had great material and I'd love to hear more of it.

BTW this would be another one that would've been a better choice for "Stars&Stripes" than most of what was used.

Blondie and Ricky did a lot for the BB - their songs are super!! And, yes, that pedal steel intro is something else. Also the singing on the bridge (correct term?)("I made my home out in the city..." etc) is heavenly...
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2015, 01:46:30 PM »

Only the Beach Boys could have a single mix stashed away for a song that gets kicked off an album because the album lacks a feasible single!

It will be great to hear a clear master of this!
The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2015, 02:34:46 AM »

We Got Love is available now on iTunes and Apple Music. It is 5:55 minutes long, but I'm not sure if it is a remastered version.

https://itunes.apple.com/es/album/we-got-love/id1037196829?i=1037199174

bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2015, 07:26:05 AM »

The Spanish iTunes?  Any word on when Americans can buy this track?
KDS
« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2015, 07:36:33 AM »

So, after going through the archives for the 50th Anniversary for the expensive MIC set, which still left out a lot of stuff, they're going to slowly piece mail hidden gems. 
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2015, 07:48:50 AM »

The Spanish iTunes?  Any word on when Americans can buy this track?

It's on iTunes in America too.  I bought it last week and placed it in my iTunes library between "California Saga" and "The Trader" where it was originally sequenced.

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2015, 10:52:03 AM »

Is it going to be on Amazon? iTunes and I have parted company - again!
DennysDrums83
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2015, 05:26:37 PM »

This is great news!  Just downloaded it.  I really enjoy Blondie and Ricky's contributions to the band.  They shouldn't be downplayed.  Now I would love to see good quality versions of "It's A New Day", "Hard Times", and "Carry Me Home" released.  I'd also love to get good quality live versions of "Here She Comes" and "River Song" with Blondie on lead.
monkeytree5
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2015, 10:10:43 AM »

Who is playing pedal steel on the studio version?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2015, 11:37:20 AM »

wow that's good, still prefer the live version

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2015, 02:13:00 PM »

Is it going to be on Amazon? iTunes and I have parted company - again!

Usually Amazon gets things a month or two later.  I'm willing to wait.  Can't stand itunes.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2015, 03:10:24 PM »

We Got Love is available now on iTunes and Apple Music. It is 5:55 minutes long, but I'm not sure if it is a remastered version.

Just downloaded it this evening… taken a while but was originally happy to wait for the AP releases… then, I thought, I'm at the inlaws, the kids are in bed, what's a girl to do?!

Boy, I wish I'd done this at the time you posted it!

Like many (and as I've stated here in be past) I've always preferred the live version to the studio version, but listening right now on repeat I'm being seduced. So much in this song to not just like but to love.

Context - have only heard this song on bootlegs previously, and, I think, in JP's Newcastle store decades ago (think I heard both We Got Love and Child of Winter for the very first time in that shop… heaven!). Listening now in iTunes through earbuds… not perfect but several increments higher. On the umpteenth play now and detect the first second of the file seems to be deteriorating…

The rolling piano pre-empts River Song, and in places the song packs a near-similar power. The lead vocal (I'm assuming Blondie) is knock-out, and just goes into delirium in the fade. Some of the backig vocals are stunning - the kind of blanket of warmth that eventually got out into play on the LA album seven years later.

And that first wail of a slide guitar in the first few seconds… gorgeous.

Also some nice-sounding bongos (a phrase I never thought I'd write) and if my ears aren't mistaken a nice bass "yeah" vocal by Mike audible only towards the very end of the fade.

The only thing that mars it is the keyboard work that comes in at the chorus. Stilts it there, though it is perfect for the subsequent bridge ("made my home out in the city…").

Edit to add: actually that organ comes in subtley and effectiely at 0:12 with the slide guitar but gets goofy at 0:58, before getting subdued and gorgeous again.

Still think the live version has the edge - probably - but this studio version is suddenly up there among my favourites from that era.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 03:26:32 PM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 22, 2015, 02:05:18 PM »

Just downloaded it this evening… taken a while but was originally happy to wait for the AP releases… then, I thought, I'm at the inlaws, the kids are in bed, what's a girl to do?!

Boy, I wish I'd done this at the time you posted it!

Like many (and as I've stated here in be past) I've always preferred the live version to the studio version, but listening right now on repeat I'm being seduced. So much in this song to not just like but to love.

Context - have only heard this song on bootlegs previously, and, I think, in JP's Newcastle store decades ago (think I heard both We Got Love and Child of Winter for the very first time in that shop… heaven!). Listening now in iTunes through earbuds… not perfect but several increments higher. On the umpteenth play now and detect the first second of the file seems to be deteriorating…

The rolling piano pre-empts River Song, and in places the song packs a near-similar power. The lead vocal (I'm assuming Blondie) is knock-out, and just goes into delirium in the fade. Some of the backig vocals are stunning - the kind of blanket of warmth that eventually got out into play on the LA album seven years later.

And that first wail of a slide guitar in the first few seconds… gorgeous.

Also some nice-sounding bongos (a phrase I never thought I'd write) and if my ears aren't mistaken a nice bass "yeah" vocal by Mike audible only towards the very end of the fade.

The only thing that mars it is the keyboard work that comes in at the chorus. Stilts it there, though it is perfect for the subsequent bridge ("made my home out in the city…").

Edit to add: actually that organ comes in subtley and effectiely at 0:12 with the slide guitar but gets goofy at 0:58, before getting subdued and gorgeous again.

Still think the live version has the edge - probably - but this studio version is suddenly up there among my favourites from that era.

Lovely review, John!  Gagging for it!

As per SmilinEd,  I no longer transact with iTunes, so will have to wait for the AP vinyl or until it appears elsewhere.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 26, 2015, 03:51:29 PM »

Is it Possible that the song will be heard soMetime soon?
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #69 on: December 28, 2015, 09:48:10 AM »

Is it Possible that the song will be heard soMetime soon?

I got mine here: http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/holland-the-beach-boys/0060254750820
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx