gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680816 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 11:22:39 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The We'll Run Away Appreciation Thread  (Read 3826 times)
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 24, 2014, 03:17:48 PM »

After listening to it 11 times in the past half hour, I'm struck by how beautiful this song is. However, I don't think I've ever really seen anyone else talk about this song. Looking through all the compilations on Wikipedia, it doesn't seem as though it's been included on any of them. This song deserves more attention, dammit.

Brian's lead is great, the melody is great, the chords are great, the backing vocals are great, the lyrics are heartfelt (and great), and the way the music swells in the beginning of the second and the third verse is great. It seems to be a precursor to "Please Let Me Wonder" and "Let Him Run Wild" and those beautiful songs down the road.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 03:29:07 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 03:24:04 PM »

One of the best on All Summer Long. Really beautiful. The last 20 seconds especially get to me.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 03:28:59 PM »

It's a nice song, maybe a bit too naive for the "artistic Beach Boys" crowd. Lyrically, it must have been influenced by "I'm So Young".

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 04:32:57 PM »

I've been trying to sing the bridge for 25 years and never succeed! one of my favorite BW vocals.

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
bluesno1fann
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 04:38:06 PM »

One of the best on All Summer Long. Really beautiful. The last 20 seconds especially get to me.

Agreed. It's not exactly one of my favourite albums by them, but definitely a major highlight.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 04:38:29 PM »

The Beach Boys FAQ book says We'll Run Away could be Brian's most underrated ballad and the lead vocal is one of his greatest.

Personally the bridge vocal is among my favorite Brian Wilson moments on record.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 04:40:12 PM by Jon Stebbins » Logged
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 05:18:10 PM »

Love, love, LOVE it!

I agree with Jon -- one of Brian's best vocals.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 05:23:37 PM »

Love this song!

But I always wondered why the track drops out at 0:36. Was there an issue with the multitrack, or was this just a little production touch Brian was trying out?
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 05:24:08 PM »

Gorgeous! Thumbs Up
Tricycle Rider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 05:41:26 PM »

Nice Thread Bubbly!
I LOVE this tune. I've been doing an acoustic version of this tune since the 80s (I'm getting old!)
I turned a girl who was into metal onto the Beach Boys with this song, and she ended up loving them!  Smiley

Some of our forum members suffer from an acute form of cynicism resulting in a complete lack of patience and manners in the face of anything joyful or optimistic. Try to humor them as best you can for the time being, and one day, with your help, we will find a cure for this devastating disease. This has been a public service announcement.
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 06:14:06 PM »

It's one of my favorites from the All Summer Long album. Beautiful song. Beautifully sung.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 06:22:58 PM »

This is one of my favorite early Brian Wilson songs. Easily my favorite lesser-known track.

When that organ comes in Shocked

Glad to see it getting recognition!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2014, 07:48:59 PM »

This is one of my favorite early Brian Wilson songs. Easily my favorite lesser-known track.
Well, it shows: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mufBe75q-Ks
Immediately recognized your voice while I was watching another tab.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2014, 08:07:44 PM »

Such a great song, with those killer unexpected chord changes. It really is a premonition of the flowering writing style Brian would soon be immersed in. Totally underrated, as Jon stated. The instrumental and in-progress versions of this song on Unsurpassed Masters Vol. 6 (not that I've ever heard such material, of course) are way killer too.

I still don't understand the organ part which drops out though - I can't wrap my head around it sounding like it's anything but a glaring mistake, despite that people generally seem to think that it was an intentional BW touch.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2014, 08:11:24 PM »

Well, it shows: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mufBe75q-Ks
Immediately recognized your voice while I was watching another tab.

Not that I do the song any justice though Grin It was a fun one to cover at least.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2014, 09:26:44 PM »

It almost seems lyrically this was Brian's version of "I'm So Young" -- and then he covers "I'm So Young" a year later.  Cheesy

By the way, "I'm So Young" may be the Boys' best cover.
branaa09
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2014, 04:56:48 PM »

So who played on the Basic Track and the Instrumental Insert? On the basic tracking I hear: Brian on the Piano, Carl on Acoustic 12 String Guitar and maybe Dennis on drums? On the Instrumental Insert I hear Carl doubling the 12 String Acoustic Guitar and Brian on the organ, which I believe is a Hammond? It sounds like the same organ used on Wendy and Don't Back Down, as all three songs were recorded at the same session? Maybe C-Man can shed some light on this. No, I don't have a subscription to Endless Summer Quarterly for the All Summer Long issue, to see the credits for the song.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 05:04:08 PM by branaa09 » Logged
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2014, 11:14:42 PM »

Absolutely one of the best early Brian songs. To me, All Summer Long is their first great album.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2014, 05:40:30 AM »

Great leadvocal by Brian. I almost like the single tracked version better as you can listen to his pure voice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygtJVZ5RSW4
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 05:44:28 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2014, 01:37:58 PM »

Nothing in Keep an Eye on Summer for this song.  Cry
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx