gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:26:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: WOW, listen to Mike tear Brian down!  (Read 5814 times)
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 20, 2014, 01:33:13 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k1_NcgFOZs#t=9m19s

Mike cuts in on Bruce when Bruce doesn't make it 100% clear that Brian is a has-been that had nothing to do with "Kokomo".  Mike's comments drip with sarcasm and anger.

Here he is referring to when Brian stepped down from the helm of the Beach Boys: "Just lately, you know, since about 196-... what is it, 8 or 9? When he started getting heavily into hallucinogenic drugs, it kinda set him back about two decades." His tone of voice is un-be-liev-able. Vicious.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 01:46:05 PM »

What's your point? This is from like 1989-1990? Really old news here.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Camus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 01:48:43 PM »

Check out Bruce's face when Mike cuts in.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 01:52:30 PM »

Mike seems a tad not-all-there… had he been fasting agaihn?

“We live in divisive times.”
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 01:55:00 PM »

Quote from: Camus
Check out Bruce's face when Mike cuts in.
Yep. He knew the interviewer had tossed a live grenade out there and he was trying to catch it. He knows it doesn't do the group's public image any good to have Mike & Brian squabbling on air.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 02:10:50 PM »

Mike cut in due to "sheer positivity".

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 02:17:00 PM »

Mike was insane after kokomo.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 02:19:32 PM »

He's like this in a lot of the post Kokomo interviews. He seemed to really lose it.

lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 03:10:12 PM »

It's great that they had a #1 hit but why the ego after Kokomo? Mike & Terry Melcher wrote the chorus to a song already written by John Phillips and Scott McKenzie. It's not like Mike and Terry wrote the song from the ground up. We got almost an album's worth of that with SIP and I don't recall numbers (billboard chart and/or sales) for that being so good. Be happy that you have a hit and enjoy it. Why throw in the negativity towards Brian?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 03:15:10 PM »

i know, right?!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 03:33:02 PM »

Mike cut in due to "sheer positivity".
LOL Transcendental Meditation

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 03:59:50 PM »

Isn't about 75% of what's discussed on this board "really old news"? Most of what has occurred in the lifespan of this band has occurred in the past. Not sure why that in and of itself needs to be pointed out?

If someone was bringing up some other old BB interview that was pertaining to a completely different BB topic, I don't see anyone saying that kind of response. If Al made a funny look at something that Dennis said on some hypothetical 1979 video interview, and someone wanted to discuss this, nobody would say your response. 

If you just don't want to see anyone ever bringing up any past interviews with Mike talking (in a possibly negative light) about Brian again, just come clean and say so. The other "reasons" don't really hold any weight.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 04:08:05 PM »

Isn't about 75% of what's discussed on this board "really old news"? Most of what has occurred in the lifespan of this band has occurred in the past. Not sure why that in and of itself needs to be pointed out?

If someone was bringing up some other old BB interview that was pertaining to a completely different BB topic, I don't see anyone saying that kind of response. If Al made a funny look at something that Dennis said on some hypothetical 1979 video interview, and someone wanted to discuss this, nobody would say your response. 

If you just don't want to see anyone ever bringing up any past interviews with Mike talking (in a possibly negative light) about Brian again, just come clean and say so. The other "reasons" don't really hold any weight.

He obviously created the thread to stir the pot/troll.  Any other forum would have locked a thread like this already.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2014, 04:42:54 PM »

I believe The Cincinnati Kid it the nail on the head. How many more Mike vs. Brian threads do we need in here? I think there are more than enough to get us through the rest of this decade. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2014, 04:53:31 PM »

Bruce is in good form here - cool, actually. He seems subtly bemused by Mike's arrogance.
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2014, 04:54:26 PM »

Agreed. Bruce is all class in this interview.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2014, 04:59:02 PM »

He obviously created the thread to stir the pot/troll.  Any other forum would have locked a thread like this already.

Whatever the motive, posting a YouTube clip of an interview that likely many here haven't seen isn't a bad thing, and doesn't strike me as a thread worth locking. "Any other forum" would have locked such a thread? I've seen far worse on EVERY forum I've ever read on an even semi-regular basis.

There are (and used to be) some bizarre Beach Boys interviews on YouTube. I recall one local TV interview from the late 70's (circa '78 or so) where Al and Brian are seated together and the guy asks some sort of question about Manson and Al actually kind of goes off on the guy, kind of protectively for Brian.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2014, 05:02:51 PM »

There are (and used to be) some bizarre Beach Boys interviews on YouTube. I recall one local TV interview from the late 70's (circa '78 or so) where Al and Brian are seated together and the guy asks some sort of question about Manson and Al actually kind of goes off on the guy, kind of protectively for Brian.

Got a link for that one??

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2014, 05:12:50 PM »

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up w00t!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2014, 05:17:41 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k1_NcgFOZs#t=9m19s

Mike cuts in on Bruce when Bruce doesn't make it 100% clear that Brian is a has-been that had nothing to do with "Kokomo".  Mike's comments drip with sarcasm and anger.

Here he is referring to when Brian stepped down from the helm of the Beach Boys: "Just lately, you know, since about 196-... what is it, 8 or 9? When he started getting heavily into hallucinogenic drugs, it kinda set him back about two decades." His tone of voice is un-be-liev-able. Vicious.

This is over a quarter of a century old.  Landy is represented somewhat as a hero.  Hero for what?  

Not long after this video, a complete epiphany and desire to separate a highly unprofessional "professional" who crossed innumerable professional ethical boundaries, and insinuated himself into Brian's professional career from our beloved Brian, including family members commenced, to do exactly that, and release Brian from the clutches of a predator.  This is a context that is time-sensitive.  

Everyone is on a learning curve with regard substance abuse. Or would have the tolerance to be on that learning curve. And it didn't take that many years in an era of predatory behavioral health professionals (and many are reputable, so I don't mean them.)

People have a larger frame of reference than from 26 years ago.  We know more. We can help more.  26 years?  Seriously?
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2014, 05:39:42 PM »

Whatever the motive, posting a YouTube clip of an interview that likely many here haven't seen isn't a bad thing, and doesn't strike me as a thread worth locking. "Any other forum" would have locked such a thread? I've seen far worse on EVERY forum I've ever read on an even semi-regular basis.

There's a difference between creating a topic on old news to have a good discussion and creating one just to start an argument.  Just look at the title, it's like it's supposed to be some revelation that Mike is talking up his contributions to the band while mentioning Brian took drugs.  There's already a Beach Boys youtube thread for videos that people may not have seen.  I've seen worse on other forums as well and those threads were locked too.  But this forum is famous for the trolling and arguing that goes on, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2014, 06:31:04 PM »

This forum is famous for trolling and arguing? Or you think that there is a lot of trolling and arguing.

Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2014, 06:33:05 PM »

Why is no one on earth allowed to have a negative opinion on Brian's drug abuse and its effects? ..... Take away all the musical genius and accolades and what's left is not very pretty as far as where Brian went with drugs.... Why can't a guy who was in a damn band with the guy and a family member to boot have the opinion that feels right to him? .... So what?
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2014, 06:45:48 PM »

This forum is famous for trolling and arguing? Or you think that there is a lot of trolling and arguing.

Both, and someone commenting on the arguing that goes on here is actually how I discovered this site.  But it does seem that music forums in general have a higher level of, let's say intensity than other forums, so I'll try not to single this one out too much.  And the positives still outweigh the negatives for me and many others here. Smiley
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2014, 06:52:32 PM »

There's a difference between creating a topic on old news to have a good discussion and creating one just to start an argument.  Just look at the title, it's like it's supposed to be some revelation that Mike is talking up his contributions to the band while mentioning Brian took drugs.  There's already a Beach Boys youtube thread for videos that people may not have seen.  I've seen worse on other forums as well and those threads were locked too.  But this forum is famous for the trolling and arguing that goes on, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Agreed, and it's quite frankly upsetting that this is what the board is known for these days. And yes, the thread title is misleading, as I was went in expecting a shitstorm over a recent comment, and instead it's almost 25 years old. Now I know how Gary Usher allegedly felt when Jardine allegedly confronted him about owing him money. Plus, the clip posted was nowhere near as bad as I was expecting.

Edit

Just realized that this is even older than I thought, as Kokomo was newly released. So, this thread was made to incite fury from the anti-Mike crowd, based on an interview done when relations between the two were at or near their nadir. What's next? Somebody posting a clip of Brian holding his nose and singing in Endless Harmony and titling the thread 'OMG BRIAN DONE MADE FUN OF MIKE'

No, wait....a post titled 'WOW BRIAN IS  HOSPITALIZED' and it being about his brief admission to Brotman roughly 35 years ago. Or, 'ORIGNAL BEACH BOY DIES Sad '  and it being about Dennis's death  Roll Eyes

Nah, f*** that. There's gonna be a post in the sandbox where the current editor of MAD Magazine announces he is directing the sequel to Gigli, entitled 'Mad man threatens world with bomb'
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 07:06:28 PM by ♩♬ Billy C ♯♫♩ » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx