gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 08:42:17 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love memoir due 2016  (Read 54623 times)
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 20, 2014, 12:28:48 PM »

Yep. You nailed it dawg

Are you Randy Jackson in disguise?

No, but I have a cut out of his face that I wear whenever I post here. So I guess I'm Woodstock disguised AS Randy Jackson

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 20, 2014, 04:40:37 PM »

Here's the story in Rolling Stone: 
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/mike-love-memoir-good-vibration-my-life-as-a-beach-boy-due-in-2016-20141120?utm_source=newsletter&utm_content=daily&utm_campaign=112014_16&utm_medium=email&ea=Ymdhc3dvb2RpZUBhb2wuY29t 

or shortened:  http://tinyurl.com/mrzdaez

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: November 20, 2014, 04:47:35 PM »

I actually thought axe-grinding or excuses or justifications, if present, would be the most arduous thing to read in such a book. But now I'm least looking forward to pontifications on "a country in transition", "audiences coming together in harmony", and the "enduring appeal of the Beach Boy sound."

Now I'm picturing the book reading like those awkward narrative bits from the "An American Band" documentary.  LOL    "A war was goin' on, and a lot was goin' down!"

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 20, 2014, 04:49:55 PM »

Onward Cougars!
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: November 20, 2014, 04:56:18 PM »

Not that I would ever misuse it or anything, but oh... dare we hope for an audiobook version read by the man himself?

Monetize that microphone, Mr Love!

If Mike doesn't want to do it, I vote Harry Dean Stanton. I wanna hear him drawl out "Kokomo" in a really melancholy voice repeatedly.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 04:59:43 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 20, 2014, 05:14:02 PM »

Mike is not and has never been at Brian's level.

Musically or personally.
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 20, 2014, 05:16:15 PM »

Go to the RS story and read the comments at the bottom. Wow! They are even worse than the ones here.
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 20, 2014, 05:20:27 PM »

Double post ...sorry
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 08:21:44 PM by jeffh » Logged
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: November 20, 2014, 05:43:38 PM »

Well, we could always do an audiobook reading of the comments section.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 20, 2014, 05:49:16 PM »

Well, we could always do an audiobook reading of the comments section.

We'll have to put an 'Explicit Content' warning on that release Shocked

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 20, 2014, 06:37:22 PM »

Go to the RS story and read the comments at the bottom. Wow! They are even worse than the ones here.

At least Mike beat Dave Grohl to his daily Rolling Stone stroke post! As a Beach Boys fan, this makes me proud Smiley)
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 20, 2014, 07:02:54 PM »

You see, Brian was out of it, on drugs, in his room.  I, on the other hand, was Mr. Positivity.  that's who I am, what I do.  ya, know, thers a lot to be said for not taking drugs.   Meditation has allowed me to be the leader and anchor of this band since around 1967, when Brian wrote his last dynamic song, Heroes  and Villains.   You see, I was a Wilson too.  My mother was a Wilson.  Uncle Murray managed us in the beginning.  I would come up with boy girl lyrics and Brian would pound out a little tune on his piano (chuckle).    Brian messed with the formula.  It got just too weird and spooky.  did you know that I wrote the positive girl boy lyric to save Good Vibrations?   I just KNEW we had to get it down to the ground and make it a Beachboys song!  We tried to get Brian involved with Kokomo but Dr. Landy just wouldn't allow it.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: November 20, 2014, 09:46:15 PM »

Do author's still do book store signings? I ask the question because it seems there are hardly anymore book stores in existence.

Sadly this is true. When I visited Sydney this year, the not very old travel guide books I got from the library recommended four good book stores, three of them were gone. The remaining one had a big sign: "Real bookstores still exist!" Smiley

I look forward to Mike's book.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 21, 2014, 12:07:11 AM »

This is both good & bad news. Good - we get to read some interesting extracts (which I'm sure will be there amid the ho-hum). Bad - dissecting the book & turning casual things into negative (like the champaigne quip wrt Dennis's funeral).

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Heywood
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 21, 2014, 01:03:44 AM »

That can't be right. I'm sure I read on here that it was just a few disgruntled Smiley Smilers that dislike Mike.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 01:04:46 AM by Heywood » Logged
beatnickle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 21, 2014, 04:54:40 AM »

Garfunkel, Oats, and Love.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 21, 2014, 05:54:39 AM »

This is both good & bad news. Good - we get to read some interesting extracts (which I'm sure will be there amid the ho-hum). Bad - dissecting the book & turning casual things into negative (like the champaigne quip wrt Dennis's funeral).
RangeRoverA1 - that post left me confused...under negative aspects...

Bringing champagne to celebrate one's life, taken "as a whole" and not just post downward-spiral, I found very cool, and looking at the goodness of Dennis' essence and sparkle, not unlike the "bubbly" essence of champagne.  Dennis' earlier onstage days were exactly that - full of effervescence!  Wink

And, here's to Dennis! (Even if it is only lowly brew!)  Beer
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #92 on: November 21, 2014, 08:40:11 AM »

Garfunkel, Oats, and Love.

Felder, Helm, Fogerty, Gilmour
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 21, 2014, 09:14:34 AM »

From Mike's bio:

Brian's a weird character. There's a lot of difficulty pinning down his actual age. See, he was born in 1942. It's firmly established that by 1968, he was 26. But then something funny happens.

As you very well may know, he started taking hallucinogens. LSD, mainly, fed to him by his stoned out fan club. That set him back, I'd estimate, two decades. So now he's spiritually 7 years old by 1969. Granted, he was a darn talented 7 year old. Sure, most of the time he was writing songs about trees, stars, or dying, but he did write "Add Some Music to Your Day" with me, and I believe "It's OK" was from around then. "It's OK" was his highest charting original song in the 1970s, and I believe my positive lyrics had a lot to do with that.

Anyway, by 1973 he was now 11. Almost a teenager again. I thought, great, maybe Brian can write some great teen hits with his partners in the band again.

Nope. Instead, he retreats to his bedroom and loses probably a half-decade of age through drugs. So he should've been 14 in 1976, but the f*cker is actually 9 now. So he writes songs about roller skating and being stuck in class. Not good, man. I tried to save "Roller Skating Child" with a bridge about ESP people could relate to, but I'm not a miracle worker. I'm just Mike Love.

Mercifully we were able to get Brian aging properly again, until about 1981, when he was 14 yet again. Of course he starts abusing hard drugs, and then his therapist Eugene Landy comes in around 1983 for the second time. Landy keeps Brian in age "stasis" by managing all of Brian's affairs and, basically, thinking for him. When we finally gave Landy the boot with the help of my cousin Carl Wilson, it was 1992, after I'd recorded "Kokomo" without Brian. Brian's still 14, mind you, but he has the body of a 50 year old! It was a really strange situation.

As luck would have it, Brian has aged more or less normally since then. We celebrated his 18th birthday in 1996 and considered recording with him as a result. Ultimately, we decided to wait until he was 34. We just didn't feel like young adult Brian was a good fit. We wanted to wait until he got past his previous high water mark of 26.

But by golly, he did, and I'm really proud of him, in the way a dad might be proud of his son.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 09:16:13 AM by Mr. Cohen » Logged
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 21, 2014, 09:47:20 AM »

From Mike's bio:

Brian's a weird character. There's a lot of difficulty pinning down his actual age. See, he was born in 1942. It's firmly established that by 1968, he was 26. But then something funny happens.

As you very well may know, he started taking hallucinogens. LSD, mainly, fed to him by his stoned out fan club. That set him back, I'd estimate, two decades. So now he's spiritually 7 years old by 1969. Granted, he was a darn talented 7 year old. Sure, most of the time he was writing songs about trees, stars, or dying, but he did write "Add Some Music to Your Day" with me, and I believe "It's OK" was from around then. "It's OK" was his highest charting original song in the 1970s, and I believe my positive lyrics had a lot to do with that.

Anyway, by 1973 he was now 11. Almost a teenager again. I thought, great, maybe Brian can write some great teen hits with his partners in the band again.

Nope. Instead, he retreats to his bedroom and loses probably a half-decade of age through drugs. So he should've been 14 in 1976, but the f*cker is actually 9 now. So he writes songs about roller skating and being stuck in class. Not good, man. I tried to save "Roller Skating Child" with a bridge about ESP people could relate to, but I'm not a miracle worker. I'm just Mike Love.

Mercifully we were able to get Brian aging properly again, until about 1981, when he was 14 yet again. Of course he starts abusing hard drugs, and then his therapist Eugene Landy comes in around 1983 for the second time. Landy keeps Brian in age "stasis" by managing all of Brian's affairs and, basically, thinking for him. When we finally gave Landy the boot with the help of my cousin Carl Wilson, it was 1992, after I'd recorded "Kokomo" without Brian. Brian's still 14, mind you, but he has the body of a 50 year old! It was a really strange situation.

As luck would have it, Brian has aged more or less normally since then. We celebrated his 18th birthday in 1996 and considered recording with him as a result. Ultimately, we decided to wait until he was 34. We just didn't feel like young adult Brian was a good fit. We wanted to wait until he got past his previous high water mark of 26.

But by golly, he did, and I'm really proud of him, in the way a dad might be proud of his son.

Dennis' interview with Pete Fornatale tells the story...Dennis had several frames of reference:  First, and foremost, as a sibling, who didn't care if Brian ever did anything musically again, as long as he recovered. 

Second, Dennis doubted whether Brian could ever rebound.  Dennis is not Mike.

Third, as a fellow band member, Dennis could assess Brian's progress with a before and after eyewitness perch.

And, fourth, Dennis laughingly but firmly and seriously unbraided critics who alleged that there was in-house band conflict over what Brian had worked on for them to perform on and record.  This interview and others done by the band, specifically Paris, Gaumont Palace, has Carl and other members, including Mike, speaking to the conflict between the band members and the record company. 

Those audio and video interviews are available to counter this nonsense.

Who would not find an audio or video interview credible with either Dennis or Carl? 
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 21, 2014, 09:58:35 AM »

Awful book title

Should really be called, "Dr. Love or: How I Learned to Stop Van Dyke Parks and write the lyrics to Good Vibrations"

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 21, 2014, 10:18:59 AM »

I know it's nitpicky, but for such a confident guy why does Mike always have to bill himself as "of The Beach Boys"? Mick Jagger doesn't need to. Paul McCartney doesn't either? Nor does Brian Wilson. Kinda reeks of insecurity for such a "legend".
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 21, 2014, 10:33:59 AM »

I found some intriguing footage showing Mike Love with Filledeplage, AGD, Pinder Goes to Kokomo and Sheriff John Stone around him.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 10:40:06 AM by The Legendary Swedish Frog » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
SIP Mike
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin' To The Beach!

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 21, 2014, 10:54:46 AM »

With Mike love writing a book, I would have hoped that he would collaborate up with AGD as a historian to help him with it,  since they do know each other...and AGD possibly knows more than he does  LOL

or maybe this is already a truth Wink
can we have any hints?

Music, after all, is all about lifting mood.
SIP Mike
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin' To The Beach!

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 21, 2014, 10:56:17 AM »

RangeRoverA1 - that post left me confused...under negative aspects...

Bringing champagne to celebrate one's life, taken "as a whole" and not just post downward-spiral, I found very cool, and looking at the goodness of Dennis' essence and sparkle, not unlike the "bubbly" essence of champagne.  Dennis' earlier onstage days were exactly that - full of effervescence!  Wink

And, here's to Dennis! (Even if it is only lowly brew!)  Beer

and a smiley Beer to u to!

Music, after all, is all about lifting mood.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx