gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 09:28:48 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson Taping Soundstage Special With Special Guests  (Read 166124 times)
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: December 15, 2014, 06:19:02 AM »

Saturday Night on Hollywood Blvd. is fantastic!  No Pier Pressure looks like it'll be a great one. I just don't want one of the artists to get too much fame singing one of Brian's songs.

It's kind of Brian's Kokomo.

why

because it sounds slightly tropical? right. just like kokomo.

sry, its just not cheesy enough to be comparable to ol' kokomo
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 06:25:17 AM by Woodstock » Logged

Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #276 on: December 15, 2014, 07:00:48 AM »

No Pier Pressure looks like it'll be a great one. I just don't want one of the artists to get too much fame singing one of Brian's songs.

Seems to me that Mike Love, Carl and Dennis Wilson and Al Jardine all did well singing Brian's songs.  Didn't hurt Brian any.

Brian isn't necessarily perfectly suited to sing lead on ALL of the songs he composes.  He hasn't been all these years.  That, in fact, was one of the best things about the Beach Boys...variety.  I can't wait to get the dvd and hopefully a cd version too when this airs on PBS.  You know they won't show it all.  They never do.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
NickandthePassions
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: December 15, 2014, 07:33:34 AM »

Saturday Night on Hollywood Blvd. is fantastic!  No Pier Pressure looks like it'll be a great one. I just don't want one of the artists to get too much fame singing one of Brian's songs.

It's much more insturmentally advanced and has a sweet bridge that reminds you it's a Brian Wilson song. BW utilizing the banjo is always sweet. I could easily see a music video for this song and it garnering a lot of attention.  I haven't heard many of the other songs, I'm sure it won't be as great as some of the others on the album.

"Living a dream
Don't wanna sleep
Might miss something"
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 15, 2014, 07:38:55 AM »

I think it would be GREAT if one of the guest artists got "too much fame" singing BW's songs. If his work can connect with still more people than it does, that's spectacular. if the songs suit their voices, what's the harm? It certainly doesn't diminish BW's stature any.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 15, 2014, 07:43:10 AM »

I think it would be GREAT if one of the guest artists got "too much fame" singing BW's songs. If his work can connect with still more people than it does, that's spectacular. if the songs suit their voices, what's the harm? It certainly doesn't diminish BW's stature any.

I agree, and I love the new song.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: December 15, 2014, 07:45:26 AM »

Suits probably don't want people to know how good the show actually was before Joe Thomas gets his fuckin' robot singing hands all over it.....
It was a very good show with very good performances even though BDW did not sing some lines at certain moments. I'd wager someone is now trying to figure out if they can pitch-shift his silence.
Fro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: December 15, 2014, 09:21:50 AM »

Saturday Night on Hollywood Blvd seems like it could actually get some airplay assuming Joe Thomas doesn't ruin it.

Nate Ruess is already famous for being the lead singer of the band "Fun.", who've had a couple big hits ("We Are Young", "Some Nights").

He also guested on a Pink song that hit #1.

I do agree with Brian that he kinda sounds like Carl.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #282 on: December 15, 2014, 09:27:47 AM »

Saturday Night on Hollywood Blvd. is fantastic!  No Pier Pressure looks like it'll be a great one. I just don't want one of the artists to get too much fame singing one of Brian's songs.

What an utterly asinine statement.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
timbnash68
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: December 15, 2014, 09:38:44 AM »

Suits probably don't want people to know how good the show actually was before Joe Thomas gets his fuckin' robot singing hands all over it.....
It was a very good show with very good performances even though BDW did not sing some lines at certain moments. I'd wager someone is now trying to figure out if they can pitch-shift his silence.

so, Im confused. On This Brian Wilson/ Beach Boys fan site, where the only reason any of us are commenting at all is because we owe all of these guys a big thank you for their music and contribution ESPECIALLY BRIAN !!!!!!. Someone ( Stack o Tracks) is  suggesting that the T V Producers should ? YOUR OPTION , Show the world, PBS and whomever else is going to air this, that Brian did not sing the part he was supposed to, forgetting  that even  thru all of his hardships at 72 years old he may deserve to be cut just a LITTLE slack…..THAT the only HONEST THING TO DO would show every mistake in it's entirety so that when Brian sees the show he can be reminded how he  TOTALLLY F**KED  UP…… Rather than maybe take the  part in question from a rehearsal or something and present to the world a truly enjoyable concert that Brian could be proud of and at peace with until the day he dies. Which  probably will be pretty soon if he has to re live every mistake he made during the concert, WHICH I ATTENDED, and there were not many. It was a wonderful show! and the fact that  two of the guys( Brian and Al )were a combined  145 years old ! was a F**king MIRACLE! And as for this dispicable Joe Thomas Bashing , Unless Joe F**king Thomas was elected the  SINGLE Benevolant Dictator of not only Brian's and the Beach Boys  last few albums , and if you  don't understand the meaning it means the ONE WHO HAS  BEEN GIVEN ALL OF THE POWER! then lay off the guy!  There are many decision makers that weigh into the making of any of these projects, and I am certain that any decision on auto tune, or overall mix has been vetted and opinionized by a gaggle of folks. INCLUDING BRIAN! who has to have heard it at some time and said WOW! I like the way this sounds! I have been lucky enough to have been at this show and it was Beautiful! Sounded Great Looked Great and yes it was live TV, it had a few rag tag moments , and that i hope are tastefully edited to present an accurate description of what the 2000 or so lucky enough to attend got to see, PURE MAGIC! 
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: December 15, 2014, 09:53:34 AM »

Saturday Night on Hollywood Blvd. is fantastic!  No Pier Pressure looks like it'll be a great one. I just don't want one of the artists to get too much fame singing one of Brian's songs.

why

because it sounds slightly tropical? right. just like kokomo.

sry, its just not cheesy enough to be comparable to ol' kokomo

Sry, cheese is in the ear of the beholder.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: December 15, 2014, 09:56:24 AM »

so, Im confused. On This Brian Wilson/ Beach Boys fan site, where the only reason any of us are commenting at all is because we owe all of these guys a big thank you for their music and contribution ESPECIALLY BRIAN !!!!!!. Someone ( Stack o Tracks) is  suggesting that the T V Producers should ? YOUR OPTION , Show the world, PBS and whomever else is going to air this, that Brian did not sing the part he was supposed to, forgetting  that even  thru all of his hardships at 72 years old he may deserve to be cut just a LITTLE slack…..THAT the only HONEST THING TO DO would show every mistake in it's entirety so that when Brian sees the show he can be reminded how he  TOTALLLY F**KED  UP…… Rather than maybe take the  part in question from a rehearsal or something and present to the world a truly enjoyable concert that Brian could be proud of and at peace with until the day he dies. Which  probably will be pretty soon if he has to re live every mistake he made during the concert, WHICH I ATTENDED, and there were not many. It was a wonderful show! and the fact that  two of the guys( Brian and Al )were a combined  145 years old ! was a F**king MIRACLE! And as for this dispicable Joe Thomas Bashing , Unless Joe F**king Thomas was elected the  SINGLE Benevolant Dictator of not only Brian's and the Beach Boys  last few albums , and if you  don't understand the meaning it means the ONE WHO HAS  BEEN GIVEN ALL OF THE POWER! then lay off the guy!  There are many decision makers that weigh into the making of any of these projects, and I am certain that any decision on auto tune, or overall mix has been vetted and opinionized by a gaggle of folks. INCLUDING BRIAN! who has to have heard it at some time and said WOW! I like the way this sounds! I have been lucky enough to have been at this show and it was Beautiful! Sounded Great Looked Great and yes it was live TV, it had a few rag tag moments , and that i hope are tastefully edited to present an accurate description of what the 2000 or so lucky enough to attend got to see, PURE MAGIC! 

ithink you   should    learn HOW ! to write   with   proper spacing capsPUNCTUATION !!!! ,etc. Before you vomit this    UNREADABLE cr*p  onto   the   board ever again!  !!!!!
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: December 15, 2014, 10:10:04 AM »

Saturday Night on Hollywood Blvd seems like it could actually get some airplay assuming Joe Thomas doesn't ruin it.

Nate Ruess is already famous for being the lead singer of the band "Fun.", who've had a couple big hits ("We Are Young", "Some Nights").

I love fun.  However, I think he has more of a Freddie Mercury quality about his voice.

And for what it's worth...I always thought the bridge from "Walking The Dog" had a very "Kokomo" quality about it. The melody and phrasing is very similar to the verse of "Kokomo" as well as the chord structure.

Walking The Dog
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCisO0YCjaI
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #287 on: December 15, 2014, 10:22:32 AM »

It was not live TV, it was a taping for later TV broadcast. Also you may know the meaning of benevolent (actually, you don't) but you sure as hell can't spell it.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: December 15, 2014, 10:23:54 AM »

I am looking forward to the PBS Soundstage presentation, and although it would not be a true representation of history, personally I'm in favor of just about any vocal post production and sweeting they wish to add, short of giving BW or anyone else a robotic sound.  And I'd be really surprised if they don't go to the trouble of sweetening the performance with some newly recorded vocals here and there, as was done a half century ago with the BB's first live album. Is the concern that some entity doesn't want the public to see and hear the concert in it's original form?  Comments on this board have been quite positive, but are they concerned about some that have been less than stellar, such as some jerk on this board using the term "horrendous" to describe the falsetto tag on Calif Girls?  I can tell you unequivocally that the Calif Girls vocal tag done in the concert (by Brian E?) is ten zillion times better any vocal tag attempt that could have been attempted by the poster who made that comment.  "Less than stellar" would have been a much better description than "horrendous".

CS, I hope you or anyone else were not offended by my comments. Maybe I should have used the words "less than stellar" as far as Brian's vocal deliveries:

"Brian should loose that "clap"/don't clap" routine on Good Vibrations. Personal opinion: I don't think it's funny or cute. If anything, he should bring back the extended "Gotta keep those lovin' good vibrations a-happenin with her" with the crowd singing. Now the girls! Now the boys! That kinda deal. Good to see he doesn't do the cigarette liter joke or "Michael Row The Boat Ashore" anymore. Or worse yet....."I'm A Little Teapot". I'd like to see him enunciate his words better. We know the words, but some members of the audience tuning into the PBS special may not. He's use to jamming through the songs and reading the teleprompter and not pronouncing some of the words worth a damn. Watch Good Vibrations and especially the words at the end of the verses are rushed and garbled. Otherwise, he projects fine and is lucid".

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #289 on: December 15, 2014, 10:27:22 AM »

Fig. 555. Joe Thomas experiments with properly lighting Brian's Kokomo and Al's suit

Fig. 556. Proof that Scott Bennett is an artist.

Fig. 557. Rehearsals and permagrin engaged.

Fig. 558. Postshow reaction of yours truly.

Now back to our regularly scheduled squabbling.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 10:30:41 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: December 15, 2014, 10:35:13 AM »

Al hasn't changed that white suit in years.  He should come up with something new when he goes the formal route.....

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #291 on: December 15, 2014, 10:35:52 AM »

I'd be kind of offended if he did. That suit gives him +2 against fire attacks, too. Comes in handy.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: December 15, 2014, 10:36:52 AM »

I know who he, and all the other guests, are. (I still don't think he sounds remotely like Carl, though.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: December 15, 2014, 11:06:03 AM »

Al hasn't changed that white suit in years.  He should come up with something new when he goes the formal route.....
Oh, Mikie - Al can still rock that retro late 60's white suit and it sort of brings a slice of that era.  I'd really hate to see him trade it for anything else.  He looks very comfortable in it. 

And as far as Brian directing the audience to "do or refrain" from doing something, during C50, at PNC in NJ, (I think,) there were beach balls flying all around, which might look cool, but can be a stage hazard, and potentially cause a musician an accident. 

Brian did what security couldn't do.  He told them to "stop" and they amazingly complied.  He had that very commanding and authoritarian posture, like a general, and snapped everyone into shape. 

It also dispels the concept that Brian isn't "connected" with the performance or the audience.  My take is that Brian doesn't miss a thing, when performing.

But, I do get what you mean about that really fun refrain of "first the ladies, then the guys" during GV.  Brian might just want to switch things around.  But, I guess he can't do the cigarette lighter thing because "incendiaries" are generally banned in public places. And, the cell phone is the very reasonable substitute.  Wink

And I enjoyed seeing Billy Hinsche onstage in those photos...
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: December 15, 2014, 11:08:09 AM »

I'd be kind of offended if he did. That suit gives him +2 against fire attacks, too. Comes in handy.

That's correct. Here is a picture of Al from the 20/20 photo shoot:

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: December 15, 2014, 11:25:21 AM »

That's correct. Here is a picture of Al from the 20/20 photo shoot:

Might want to check the LP cover... Wink

KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: December 15, 2014, 11:42:38 AM »

I know who he, and all the other guests, are. (I still don't think he sounds remotely like Carl, though.)

They must think he does, or why else give the guy a series of Carl leads to sing. Including songs that Brian used to sing in his solo concerts, but were originally Carl leads on record (Darlin' and GOK).  It's almost like they want to prove they're the "real Beach Boys," complete with a fake Carl. And video screens with cheesy shots of girls in bikinis during CG  and attempting to get people to show their phones during a song (something that Mike's BB's apparently do now, or at least he posted a photo of it a few months ago on his Facebook page). I don't think the guy sounds a thing like Carl, either. 
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #297 on: December 15, 2014, 11:54:36 AM »

Wow, you talk about the show as if you were there!

Does it get you that pissed off when Totten or Cowsill sing a Carl lead?

By the way, they um, totally proved they were the real Beach Boys. Mike Love's legal maneuvering around two dead guys, a mentally ill guy, and Al Jardine notwithstanding. They didn't need a stupid baseball cap with a logo on it or legal threats. They had the sound, the architect of that sound, and Blondie/Ricky/Billy... and they fucking KILLED.  Cheers!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 12:00:28 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: December 15, 2014, 11:56:04 AM »

They must think he does, or why else give the guy a series of Carl leads to sing. Including songs that Brian used to sing in his solo concerts, but were originally Carl leads on record (Darlin' and GOK).  It's almost like they want to prove they're the "real Beach Boys," complete with a fake Carl. And video screens with cheesy shots of girls in bikinis during CG  and attempting to get people to show their phones during a song (something that Mike's BB's apparently do now, or at least he posted a photo of it a few months ago on his Facebook page). I don't think the guy sounds a thing like Carl, either.  

I think they think Nate is a great singer, which he is. So is Carl. I think you answered your own question when you stated Nate does not sound like Carl. Nate does not sound like Carl - which points to the fact Brian does not see him as Carl either. Or anyone else. That does not mean however he is not able to handle Carl leads. Here are some other leads I am sure Nate is able to handle:

• Brian leads
  • Al leads
  • Blondie leads (you have to trust me on this one)
  • Ricky leads
  • Bruce leads
  • Mike leads

Shouldn't a fake Carl stick around for the entirety of the concert? Not just a few songs? And not just for one single concert? Guests often participate in just some of the songs, which makes Nate more of a

than of a

• Carl

The CG footage is the same as the footage used in C50. Maybe JT owns those images and decided to use them again. He is the producer of the show after all.

Glad you liked the concert!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 12:04:10 PM by The Legendary OMG! Rob! » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: December 15, 2014, 12:01:54 PM »

Bruce has been a fake BW in touring band since 1965. Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 26 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx