gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681101 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 04:11:54 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: holland/end if an era,,  (Read 17439 times)
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: November 06, 2014, 01:07:15 AM »

Who agrees that holland was the last true BB album? Love you being brians album with the BB name on it,,,miu, light album and keepin the summer alive were made up from mixed sessions from previous yrs..
bluesno1fann
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 01:20:00 AM »

Not sure about that, but I think Holland's their last classic album (if you discount In Concert).
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 01:26:56 AM »

Who agrees that holland was the last true BB album? Love you being brians album with the BB name on it,,,miu, light album and keepin the summer alive were made up from mixed sessions from previous yrs..
It would be helpful if you specified what you mean by the term "true BB album". Wink There are many possible conceptions of the term - some would even reach as far as including TWGMTR (and why not - it says "BBs" on the cover, it features multiple BBs and songs penned by different band members). I'm not trying to be difficult, just saying.. terms like that are often used loosely. Tongue Also, M.I.U. / L.A. / KTSA all featured newly recorded material at the time they were released. Why not call them "true BBs albums"?
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 02:05:12 AM »

Well... I guess it depends what you call 'the true Beach Boys'. But that's a game that might never end. Some people say the Beach Boys can't continue after Brian and Mike's post C50 fallout, making TWGMTR the last album. Carl fans say the group hasn't been the Beach Boys since he passed away - so that makes Stars & Stripes the last Beach Boys album. Meanwhile, Dennis fans say there hasn't really been a Beach Boys since Dennis's passing, so that makes Keepin' The Summer Alive the last one — although there's so little Dennis on that one anyway, many say it's actually the L.A album that's the last one.

A hardcore Brianista might say the last true Beach Boys album was Love You, as that's the last one where Brian was fully engaged and a major part of the composition and production. But even more hardcore Brianistas might say no, the last one is really Friends, because by 15BO and Love You Brian wasn't the force he once was, and had shot his voice, which did so much to define their sound. But Friends, and indeed Wild Honey and Smiley Smile, were only completed with a lot of assistance from Carl, because Brian was so spaced out post-SMiLE. So perhaps for a real hardcore Brianista, Pet Sounds is the last TRUE Beach Boys album.

But then... surely the classic Beach Boys is when Brian did the music, and Mike the lyrics? That's how they had their most hits. And Mike had been pushed out in favour of Tony Asher by Pet Sounds. So it must be Summer Days and Summer Nights that's the last true Beach Boys album.

...er... no, wait, hang on... that album doesn't actually feature the Boys playing together much. It's all these Wrecking Crew guys, and who's this Bruce Johnston guy floating around? So that clinches it. The last true Beach Boys album is Today.

...except...

...there's not much 'Beach' in the Beach Boys' Today album, is there? I mean, what do you think of when you think Beach Boys? California Girls, right? Surfing USA! SUMMER! So that's it. The last TRUE Beach Boys album is All Summer Long.

...but no, hang on. Who's the guy that really drove that fantastic surf sound with Carl in the early days? The ESSENCE of the guitar-heavy, poptastic young Beach Boys! David Marks! I mean, he's back on stage with them now, right? And he's on the 2012 album. So there you go. The last TRUE Beach Boys album was the last in the series that he was on. Little Deuce Coupe.

Except... that record's all about cars. And cars are not what the Beach Boys are about. I mean, it's in the name, isn't it? So the last TRUE Beach Boys album must be the one before that.

So there you have it. Conclusive proof that Brian Wilson's first production, Surfer Girl in 1963, was actually also the last TRUE Beach Boys album.

...boy, those guys didn't have much of a career, did they?
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 02:21:38 AM »

[...]

So there you have it. Conclusive proof that Brian Wilson's first production, Surfer Girl in 1963, was actually also the last TRUE Beach Boys album.

MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 04:31:14 AM »

[...]

Why is it always Ryan Reynolds doin' the reaction shots? Why not the Olsen Twins, or Bea Arthur?
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 07:35:39 AM »

Why is it always Ryan Reynolds doin' the reaction shots? Why not the Olsen Twins, or Bea Arthur?

We don't talk about Full House here.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 07:45:51 AM »

I think of Love You as a Beach Boys album, it's as much a Beach Boys album as Pet Sounds is if not moreso.  They all sing on it and get at least one lead vocal each.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 07:47:06 AM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 08:07:21 AM »

Yep, Love You was the last real BBs album. After that, the Wilsons couldn't put it together for a whole album. I know some are satisfied with Mike being the Beach Boys, but it doesn't cut it for me.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 11:23:44 AM »

Yep, Love You was the last real BBs album. After that, the Wilsons couldn't put it together for a whole album. I know some are satisfied with Mike being the Beach Boys, but it doesn't cut it for me.
SIP is the only album that is totally Mike. If your remark is steered toward the touring band, we are talking two different animals here.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 12:04:22 PM »

I feel like LA picks up where Holland left off after the "Brian's Back" episode got them sidetracked.

Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 12:18:43 PM »

I feel like LA picks up where Holland left off after the "Brian's Back" episode got them sidetracked.

I agree, but they could've chosen some better tracks for the final cut of that album.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 12:25:49 PM »

This whole premise is wrong - the Beach Boys were a singles band. The last real Beach Boys record was probably Kokomo - it was a record (although promo copies of Still Cruisin' exist). TWGMTR might count, if we include 45's sold with t-shirts.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2014, 12:27:18 PM »

SIP is the only album that is totally Mike. If your remark is steered toward the touring band, we are talking two different animals here.
It was a simplified comment. Too much Mike, Al, and Bruce on the later albums for my tastes. Carl made efforts, but those efforts were generally more accomplished than inspired.

I'm sorry, but it's not the Beach Boys to me when two of the Wilsons are basically absent.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2014, 01:00:07 PM »

It was a simplified comment. Too much Mike, Al, and Bruce on the later albums for my tastes. Carl made efforts, but those efforts were generally more accomplished than inspired.

I'm sorry, but it's not the Beach Boys to me when two of the Wilsons are basically absent.
I love all the Wilson conditions that we put on The Beach Boys. There's "No Wilson's, no Beach Boys". Then there is No Dennis, no Beach Boys, today I see The Beach Boys died along with Carl. Me, I'm happy they have lasted 52 years, and it may not be over yet.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2014, 01:00:28 PM »

To me the last true album was TWGMTR, but I can get on board with the idea that the albums after Holland don't have the same feel as earlier albums, certain songs being excluded.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2014, 01:22:24 PM »

To me the last true album was TWGMTR, but I can get on board with the idea that the albums after Holland don't have the same feel as earlier albums, certain songs being excluded.
I agree completely. There was a drop off for sure, but thankfully sparks of beauty, as well.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2014, 01:40:46 PM »

After Holland they just became an oldies act. Hmmm wonder how that happened.....

My thoughts on post Holland.

15 Big Ones: 4 songs I like. Poor follow up to Holland.
Love You: Better than 15 BO. 5 songs I like.
M.I.U. Album: Very soft rockish. 5 I like.
L.A. (Light Album) 5 I Listen to.
Keepin' The Summer Alive: Not a good album. Endless Harmony is the only one I like. Dennis's last. Sad
The Beach Boys:  Getcha Back & California Calling is it for me.
Still Cruisin': Eh. The title track is the only good thing, well that and Kokomo.
Summer In Paradise: I'm just gonna skip that one.
Stars and Stripes Vol. 1. The Beach Boys are many things, but country isn't one of them. A soft spot though cuz it is Carl's final album. Sad
The Reunion Album: Nothing would thrill me more then to say I like this album. Mmmm but I don't.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 01:41:54 PM by lostbeachboy » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2014, 01:54:55 PM »

After Holland they just became an oldies act. Hmmm wonder how that happened.....
Aah, Dennis and Jim Guercio is what happened. Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2014, 02:14:29 PM »

I love Brian's vision, I love his need for perfection. His songwriting is beautiful/unique, and the way he puts albums together is like none other...it's these traits, plus his guidance that makes a perfect Beach Boys record, imo. Holland, Sunflower, Surf's Up, all wonderful albums, but they don't have that Brian Wilson trademark...they feel clunky - they're albums with brilliant songs that seem to be strung together by force, rather than by design.

I see Friends as being the last true Beach Boys album....where the guys were putting in ideas, making great efforts to write/record great material....And there was Brian, at the helm, steering them towards making a beautiful cohesive record.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 02:15:50 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2014, 02:33:02 PM »

Keepin' The Summer Alive: Not a good album. Endless Harmony is the only one I like. Dennis's last. Sad
Still Cruisin': Eh. The title track is the only good thing, well that and Kokomo.
Stars and Stripes Vol. 1. The Beach Boys are many things, but country isn't one of them. A soft spot though cuz it is Carl's final album. Sad
The Reunion Album: Nothing would thrill me more then to say I like this album. Mmmm but I don't.

What is it about TWGMTR that you don't like?
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2014, 02:46:56 PM »

15 Big Ones: Other than 3-4 songs, a complete travesty.
Love You: A classic.
M.I.U. Album: Listenable.
L.A. (Light Album) Totally underrated, great record.
Keepin' The Summer Alive: Good record.
The Beach Boys:  Good record, even with the tinny recording style.
Still Cruisin': Kind of a ripoff, but I like a few of the tunes.
Summer In Paradise: Like about 4 of the songs.
Stars and Stripes Vol. 1.: Never listen to it...I don't really consider it a BB album.
TWGMTR: Very good record.
lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2014, 03:05:02 PM »

There's quite a few things. I posted them awhile back but forgot where. Now you may all think I'm nitpicking but to each there own.

1.) THAT to me is a Brian solo album with Joe Thomas's fingerprints all over it. I could mention another persons name but that would start World War 3 yet again.

2.) The name of the album. I refuse to say it. Too long, makes no sense, no reference to there roots or the fact they were reuniting for there 50th.

3.) The Cover Art. Colorful mountains or colorful waves....? The 2 pics of the guys were just eh. The first pic Mike and Bruce's face... Not good.

4.) No liner notes.

5.) No dedication to Carl and Dennis.

6.) Mike being the lead singer had what 3 to 4 songs..? Brian like 6.. Alan 1 to 2?. Bruce should of had 1 or 2. I know David isn't a singer but he could of had 1 rockin instrumental.

7. The title song is really good. From there to back again is also good. But to me it's all nostalgic. Exactly what the beach boys are typecast as.. Fun in the sun. I know them to be so much more. I would have liked to see a more Dont Fight The Sea feel. Now that is a great freakin song.

I think that's it for now.

The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2014, 03:52:20 PM »

There's quite a few things. I posted them awhile back but forgot where. Now you may all think I'm nitpicking but to each there own.

1.) THAT to me is a Brian solo album with Joe Thomas's fingerprints all over it. I could mention another persons name but that would start World War 3 yet again.

2.) The name of the album. I refuse to say it. Too long, makes no sense, no reference to there roots or the fact they were reuniting for there 50th.

3.) The Cover Art. Colorful mountains or colorful waves....? The 2 pics of the guys were just eh. The first pic Mike and Bruce's face... Not good.

4.) No liner notes.

5.) No dedication to Carl and Dennis.

6.) Mike being the lead singer had what 3 to 4 songs..? Brian like 6.. Alan 1 to 2?. Bruce should of had 1 or 2. I know David isn't a singer but he could of had 1 rockin instrumental.

7. The title song is really good. From there to back again is also good. But to me it's all nostalgic. Exactly what the beach boys are typecast as.. Fun in the sun. I know them to be so much more. I would have liked to see a more Dont Fight The Sea feel. Now that is a great freakin song.

I think that's it for now.

Ok, I get where you're coming from even if I don't agree with all of it.

2)  Agree, it should have been called something else.

3)  Yeah, it's kinda generic, but I don't think it's too bad.

6)  I think the distribution is pretty fair.  Now if the album had an extra 2-3 tracks (I think it should have), then I would say throw in a Bruce and David track.

7)  Sure there is Beaches in Mind, Spring Vacation, and Daybreak, but other than those I don't see any of the other songs as fun in the sun types.  There are the four songs from the life suite, Think About the Days, and Pacific Coast Highway.

This would have been my ideal track listing:

1) Think About the Days
2) Do it Again 50th anniversary edition
3) That's Why God Made the Radio
4) Isn't it Time
5) Waves of Love
6) Soul Searchin'
7) Spring Vacation
Cool Beaches in Mind
9) Daybreak Over the Ocean
10) Don't Fight the Sea
11) You're Still a Mystery
12) Strange World
13) From There to Back Again
14) Pacific Coast Highway
15) Summer's Gone

I left off Bill and Sue because it is just an awkward song to me and I left off Shelter because I felt like it.  Razz
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2014, 03:56:31 PM »

no reference to there roots or the fact they were reuniting for there 50th.

That's the best part of the title.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx