gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681509 Posts in 27639 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 09, 2024, 10:44:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 20/20 whats up with the catalog#?  (Read 3900 times)
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: January 14, 2015, 10:19:06 PM »

All the BBs albums on capitol were four digit catalog numbers starting with 18 and then ending with 28.. why was 20/20 just a three digit, #133? And why was one version start with SKAO and another EST?
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 11:37:06 PM »

Slow news day, Kook??  Smokin
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 12:40:04 AM »

All the BBs albums on capitol were four digit catalog numbers starting with 18 and then ending with 28.. why was 20/20 just a three digit, #133? And why was one version start with SKAO and another EST?

1 - SKAO is the US release, EST is the British one...

2 - Capitol changed their numbering system in 1969...

3 - I have no idea where you got "All the BBs albums on capitol were four digit catalog numbers starting with 18 and then ending with 28" from because it's complete nonsense: for example, Pet Sounds is 2458, Surfer Girl is 1981. No Capitol album 1962-68 ended with 28.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 07:14:11 AM »

I think he was referring to the first two digits of the catalogue number--Safari (1808) to Friends (2895)--but, really, who cares about these numbers now? You can't place an order for these LPs via the old Phonologs or anything...they're really just a bunch of random numbers at this point in time.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 07:24:02 AM »

Really ? Still wrong, then as Best of... Volume 3 is 2945. My other comments are still valid, and if anyone is amazed that a record company releases albums with catalog numbers in (mostly) increasing fashion, then they seriously need to get out more.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 08:32:27 AM »

I think he was referring to the first two digits of the catalogue number--Safari (1808) to Friends (2895)--but, really, who cares about these numbers now? You can't place an order for these LPs via the old Phonologs or anything...they're really just a bunch of random numbers at this point in time.

thats what I meant yeah.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 12:58:07 PM »

I also wondered why it was a different numbering system.  Thank you for clearing it up Andrew.  The old numbers are the best, especially when they become part of the legend. T-2580 anyone! Grin
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 12:05:42 PM »

Did SKAO mean gatefold?
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 01:05:12 PM »

No, SKAO means the album is 'stereo'.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2015, 01:44:52 PM »

Did SKAO mean gatefold?

No, SKAO means the album is 'stereo'.

Fairly certain KAO is one of the  Capitol Records (Mono) prefixes for Gatefold covers, with SKAO  being Stereo (as Mikie cited); every Capitol release of which I'm aware with the (S) KAO prefix is a gatefold.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2015, 01:53:12 PM »

I have a 20/20 album - Capitol SKAO 8-0133 20/20 Capitol Rainbow label - NO gatefold cover - eye chart is on the back cover. I think this is a Capitol Record Club Issue.

There are also many Capitol 'SKAO' albums from the late 60's which don't have gatefold covers - (i.e N. Sinatra, Dean Martin Greatest Hits, etc).

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2015, 02:35:01 PM »

I have a 20/20 album - Capitol SKAO 8-0133 20/20 Capitol Rainbow label - NO gatefold cover - eye chart is on the back cover. I think this is a Capitol Record Club Issue.

There are also many Capitol 'SKAO' albums from the late 60's which don't have gatefold covers - (i.e N. Sinatra, Dean Martin Greatest Hits, etc).

Well,obviously, Capitol Longines Club issues arent regular releases and most were made with flimsy covers and no gatefolds.
Not sure what you refer to with N.Sinatra, if it's Nancy, she was on Reprise, not on Capitol. Dean Martin's Greatest Hits is also a Reprise Label release.

I have a list of ( seemingly) every known Capitol album from 1-2999; (much more complete than any listings online) so unless you can show some specific examples of actual Capitol  non-club releases, I have to say you're wrong, buckaroo. 

As to more info,  the 2nd(3rd  for stereo)  letter indicates the number of LPs. A is 1, B is 2.  If it was more than two LPS they used a different Prefix, such as BBs Deluxe Set  (D)TCL, the C designating 3 LPs.
The "O" in the 3rd(4th for Stereo) position  designates a cover that opens, ie gatefold.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2015, 03:17:07 PM »

Well,obviously, Capitol Longines Club issues arent regular releases and most were made with flimsy covers and no gatefolds.
Not sure what you refer to with N.Sinatra, if it's Nancy, she was on Reprise, not on Capitol. Dean Martin's Greatest Hits is also a Reprise Label release.

I have a list of ( seemingly) every known Capitol album from 1-2999; (much more complete than any listings online) so unless you can show some specific examples of actual Capitol  non-club releases, I have to say you're wrong, buckaroo. 

As to more info,  the 2nd(3rd  for stereo)  letter indicates the number of LPs. A is 1, B is 2.  If it was more than two LPS they used a different Prefix, such as BBs Deluxe Set  (D)TCL, the C designating 3 LPs.
The "O" in the 3rd(4th for Stereo) position  designates a cover that opens, ie gatefold.

Hey man, I thought you have all things Beach Boys! If you did, you'd know there's a Beach Boys 20/20 album (SKAO) that didn't have a gatefold cover!  Ask Dempsey, he has one. Don't you?

Here ya go, Buckaroo. When you're done, tell me if all of these Capitol SKAO albums have gatefold covers. Then check Ebay.

http://www.bsnpubs.com/capitol/16000/capitol16000.html

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2015, 03:19:29 PM »

Hey Bgas, did you ever apologize to Guitarfool after you laid an egg on his thread about Kim Fowley today?  Just wondrin'.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2015, 03:36:52 PM »

Hey Bgas, did you ever apologize to Guitarfool after you laid an egg on his thread about Kim Fowley today?  Just wondrin'.

No reason to apologize. As you're always demonstrating, we all have different opinions

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2015, 03:41:48 PM »

Hey man, I thought you have all things Beach Boys! If you did, you'd know there's a Beach Boys 20/20 album (SKAO) that didn't have a gatefold cover!  Ask Dempsey, he has one. Don't you?

Here ya go, Buckaroo. When you're done, tell me if all of these Capitol SKAO albums have gatefold covers. Then check Ebay.

http://www.bsnpubs.com/capitol/16000/capitol16000.html

As I said in the last one, Longines Capitol Club ( 1968-1970?) releases, they have the "8", are NOT Capitol releases.
The Capitol SN-16000 series are all reissues so none of them are SKAO
But you knew that, so try not to act so stupid next time

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2015, 03:52:13 PM »

You callin' me stupid, Bgas?  You're already on thin ice with at least one admin - you gonna try for all three? You already called another poster a "Dumbfuck" earlier in the week and got carte-blanche, now you're suggesting that I'm stupid? What's next?

And to think OldSurferdude got his ass in a sling for much less......

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2015, 03:57:06 PM »

You callin' me stupid, Bgas?  You're already on thin ice with at least one admin - you gonna try for all three? You already called another poster a "Dumbfuck" earlier in the week and got carte-blanche, now you're suggesting that I'm stupid? What's next?

And to think OldSurferdude got his ass in a sling for much less......

Forrest says " Stupid is as Stupid does"

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2015, 07:10:34 PM »

guys

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.