gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:27:19 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 7/4/80 DC show in retrospect  (Read 21025 times)
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2014, 09:22:34 PM »

Took a little over 14 minutes but Bruce finally adjusted his microphone.

A tree falls over in the woods and no one is there to hear it. The tree has still fallen over.

The same applies here. Whether you see it or not, Bruce adjusts his microphone.

startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2014, 09:41:12 PM »

Who's doing the falsetto on this show?
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2014, 10:00:32 PM »

Bruce.  Al also did a few falsetto parts.

Another highlight of the show. Dennis playing Rhonda on the piano, then jumping on top of it shaking his timbers. Then the girl with the tube top on the guy's shoulders as the camera pans out into the crowd afterwards. Oooooooooooooweeeeeee!!!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2014, 10:07:35 PM »

Another highlight of the show. Dennis playing Rhonda on the piano, then jumping on top of it shaking his timbers. Then the girl with the tube top on the guy's shoulders as the camera pans out into the crowd afterwards. Oooooooooooooweeeeeee!!!

The cameras are focused on Bruce and Al during "I Get Around" and neither are doing the falsetto part.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2014, 10:08:25 PM »

This show is really great. This show is really great. Damn you School Days interrupting an otherwise excellent show. Damn you schooldays! Also: Bruce first adjusts his mic at right about the 1:00 min mark. I'm surprised you missed that? NHC ...
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 10:09:23 PM by Ted Danson » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2014, 10:22:23 PM »

Then the girl with the tube top on the guy's shoulders as the camera pans out into the crowd afterwards. Oooooooooooooweeeeeee!!!
There ya go, Mikie.
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2014, 10:24:56 PM »

Many of you know I became a big fan in the early 90s and started the setlist archive beginning in 1998. My first exposure to the live band on video was the 1980 DC show. It was this show that made me as much a fan of the live band as I was of the studio work. The energy and the dynamics of each Beach Boy's personality and talent, and the synergy of them performing together, was super intriguing for me when I watched this show on video.

I watched it again tonight for the first time since the C50 shows. There is a lot going on here in the band musically and interpersonally. I've probably watched this 100x in the past and I caught things this time that I never noticed before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0KdUAA6Do4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The audience sing along portion of Good Vibrations reveals a lot. Dennis tries to talk over Mike, but Mike ignores him. I never noticed Dennis asked them to sing "One for the hostages! Come on!" At least that's what it sounds like. You can see Carl directing Dennis to go back to the drums after he shouts some unintelligible things on the mic.

Carl makes his vocals sounds so smooth and effortless. There are several singers around today who do a very admirable job of singing Carl's leads. But no one will ever match his vocal quality on these songs.

Brian at the piano is a lot like Brian on the piano during C50, somewhat withdrawn. Though Brian definitely did a lot more leads during C50. On Help me Rhonda, Brian takes over Bruce's keyboard and mimics playing a lot like he did on some of his early solo tours.

Bruce's role here is much like it was during C50. An occasional comment here and there, but mostly just singing, keyboards, getting the audience to clap and participate, and a little mic adjusting of course ;-)

Al back then sounds just like Al now!

Dennis often isn't audible, either his mic is low in the Tv mix, or it was just low at the show. During Help Me Rhonda, Al, Mike, and Dennis seem to be tripling each other on the lead vocal, but only Al and Mike are audible in the mix presented here. Dennis' drumming is definitely solid throughout! When he misses the first few seconds of Surfin USA, his drumming is definitely missed.

It's interesting that a lot of mess ups and awkward moments were televised on HBO. Carl messing up the first verse on Good Timin, Dennis missing the first few drum beats of Surfin USA, the tension during Good Vibrations. Nothing like the sterile and overly autotuned DVD release from C50.

It's also interesting to note that California Girls was not televised, as by this time it was their classic opening anthem.

The audience shots are fascinating. There's a topless woman, some guy smoking weed, and I think I saw Snoop Dogg at one point  LOL. It's weird to think that the children here are now around 40, the 20 year olds are now in their 50s, etc.

Any thoughts?

Didn't see the topless woman, but it seems there wasn't a single bra worn in D.C. that day.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2014, 10:33:25 PM »

Then the girl with the tube top on the guy's shoulders as the camera pans out into the crowd afterwards. Oooooooooooooweeeeeee!!!
There ya go, Mikie.

That's the one!!  The headlights are on!

When it's ice cream weather all the girls will look better, roll down your tube tops and ride!
They'll be sleepin' in the sand dunes, dancin' in the streets, they're just tryin' to keep the Summer alive!

« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 10:34:36 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2014, 10:46:32 PM »

1. California Girls 
2. Sloop John B 
3. Darlin' 
4. School Days 
5. In My Room 
6. Good Timin' 
7. God Only Knows 
8. Do It Again 
9. Little Deuce Coupe 
10. Catch a Wave 
11. Hawaii 
12. Merry Minuet 
13. Santa Ana Winds 
14. Some of Your Love 
15. Keepin' the Summer Alive 
16. Lady Lynda 
17. Cotton Fields 
18. Heroes and Villains 
19. I Write the Songs 
20. Surfer Girl 
21. Help Me, Rhonda 
22. Be True to Your School 
23. Wouldn't It Be Nice 
24. Rock and Roll Music 
25. I Get Around 
26. Surfin' U.S.A. 

Encore:
27. Good Vibrations 
28. Barbara Ann 
29. Fun, Fun, Fun 

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2014, 10:50:49 PM »

Bruce.  Al also did a few falsetto parts.

The cameras are focused on Bruce and Al during "I Get Around" and neither are doing the falsetto part.

During the 70's, Al and Carl traded off high parts. When Bruce rejoined them the year before, he resumed doing high parts. It could only be one of them because Foskett hadn't joined the band yet and that left Figueroa and Carter and Meros and they didn't sing falsetto as far as I know. Unless Billy Hinsche was hiding back stage with a microphone.....he was known to sing high at times, but I don't think he was there.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 01:13:32 PM by Mikie » Logged

startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2014, 10:58:18 PM »

During the 70's, Al and Carl traded off high parts. When Bruce rejoined them the year before, he resumed doing high parts. It could only be one of them because Foskett hadn't joined the band yet and that left Figueroa and Carter and they didn't sing falsetto as far as I know. Unless Billy Hinsche was hiding back stage with a microphone.....he was known to sing high at times, but I don't think he was there.

Just watch here: http://youtu.be/v0KdUAA6Do4?t=36m36s

Not Bruce or Al (can see them singing), and it's not Carl (can hear him singing).
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2014, 10:58:42 PM »

Pretty sure I was told by somebody (it may have been Bobby F. himself) that Bobby F. was doing a lot of the falsetto at this gig.

The falsetto isn't all that strong or projected a lot of the time, so I suspect this is the case.  He's really the only candidate on tunes like "I Get Around."
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2014, 11:02:22 PM »

During the 70's, Al and Carl traded off high parts. When Bruce rejoined them the year before, he resumed doing high parts. It could only be one of them because Foskett hadn't joined the band yet and that left Figueroa and Carter and they didn't sing falsetto as far as I know. Unless Billy Hinsche was hiding back stage with a microphone.....he was known to sing high at times, but I don't think he was there.

The above post isn't quite right.  Bruce actually didn't sing falsetto live all that much, and Carl rarely -- Al was the guy who most often covered Brian's vocals.  Billy Hinsche as well, when he was around (he sang "Surfer Girl" on IN CONCERT).

One song I remember Bruce DID do the falsetto lead vocal on was "I Get Around" (during his first go 'round, not in 1980 obviously), and you couldn't hear him very well.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 11:03:44 PM by adamghost » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2014, 11:06:03 PM »

I don't get how Dennis isn't good during this show. I guess I do. But I don't agree.  I mean, he's not slick or anything. But he's got a good feel.  seems like standard 'Dennis pushes the tempos' stuff. it pretty much rocks.   
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 11:07:26 PM by Ted Danson » Logged
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2014, 11:06:39 PM »

Pretty sure I was told by somebody (it may have been Bobby F. himself) that Bobby F. was doing a lot of the falsetto at this gig.

The falsetto isn't all that strong or projected a lot of the time, so I suspect this is the case.  He's really the only candidate on tunes like "I Get Around."

That makes sense. It's definitely not overly prominent in the mix, but it sounds good.

Surprisingly limited backing back in this period. It was just Meros, Figueroa and Carter, right?

Carl sounds good on those guitar leads, and it was funny to see Bruce playing keyboards with a bass around his neck late in the set. He went from playing two instruments in one song during that era to zero today.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2014, 11:21:16 PM »

The above post isn't quite right.  Bruce actually didn't sing falsetto live all that much, and Carl rarely -- Al was the guy who most often covered Brian's vocals.  Billy Hinsche as well, when he was around (he sang "Surfer Girl" on IN CONCERT).

One song I remember Bruce DID do the falsetto lead vocal on was "I Get Around" (during his first go 'round, not in 1980 obviously), and you couldn't hear him very well.

You sure? Always thought Al sang Surfer Girl on "In Concert".  I know Al and Carl traded high parts on "Don't Worry Baby" and of course Carl sang Brian's lead on "Carol I Know".
Listen to Bruce at the very end of one of those Washington 1980 songs. He could sing high clearly with no problem. Ooooooeeeeeooooooeeeee!

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2014, 11:59:20 PM »

Bobby Figueroa is doing Brian's part on "I Get Around" at the 1980 gigs. He wasn't doing all the falsetto parts, but he did in that song. He's not projecting very loudly, and/or they just didn't mix his voice up very high on either the Knebworth or DC releases.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 07:15:23 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2014, 12:03:33 AM »

Here's my old-ish review of the DC Region 2 Japanese DVD release: http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/2014/05/reviews-from-archive-vol-1-celebration.html?m=0

« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 09:02:46 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2014, 12:26:57 AM »

Following on to the hostages comment, IIRC if you listen carefully to "Help Me Rhonda" on the Long Beach concert, you can hear someone in a low gutteral voice say something that sounds like "I love Shawn!"

Camera's not on the person saying it, but I have a pretty good guess who it was.

Might off a tad here, but I don't think they'd met by summer 1980 (Jon ?).

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2014, 01:30:26 AM »

Really cool to watch this concert again, 34 years later.  Yeah, School Days is definitely a low point in the concert, and a song way too uncool in for the BBs to have covered in 1980.  (With absolutely no disrespect intended toward Chuck Berry's 1957 original, which worked quite well in the fifties.)

As far at the falsetto in I Get Around, this concert underwent some sweetening after the fact, right?  So who knows.

Never realized it's Billy Hinsche singing the main lead on Surfer Girl on the BBs In Concert album.  Amazing to learn that all these years later.  Just went back and listened again, on the new BB In Concert vinyl, and noticed that the composer credit goes to "Wilson-Morgan" on this 2014 pressing, just as it is listed on the original Nov. 1973 vinyl as well as two other vinyl copies of BB In Concert I purchased in 1977 and 1979.  The Beach Boys In Concert vinyl is the only place I've ever seen "Morgan" (would that supposedly be Hite or Bruce?) listed along with Brian Wilson as a co-writer, as opposed to The Beach Boys in Concert CD as well as all other vinyl albums, singles, and CDs which feature Surfer Girl and list only BW as the composer.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 02:52:57 AM by Custom Machine » Logged
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2014, 01:47:31 AM »

Here's my old-ish review of the DC Region 2 Japanese DVD release: http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/2014/05/reviews-from-archive-vol-1-celebration.html?m=1

Nice review, and great that you have a DVD copy in much higher quality than that on YouTube.  But when you state, "It’s certainly a more surly, energetic crowd that the gingerly-moving baby boomers in Hawaiian shirts you see at Mike Love’s shows these days," I'm wondering how many of those 1980 "energetic crowd members" are some of the 2014 "gingerly-moving baby boomers in Hawaiian shirts you see at Mike Love’s shows these days."

bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2014, 02:22:36 AM »

this is actually the first time i'd seen this all the way through. what a day... it was a much different time wasn't it?

amazing how young Carl is looking. he is only 33 here!
amazing too how little camera time Brian received.

Mike is pretty awful. less nasal than he is now, but singing so flat.
Dennis looks kinda rough, but solid drumming for the most part.
Al and Bruce are Al and Bruce. and sounding great.

wonder why they cut CA Girls and some of the others?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 02:23:41 AM by bossaroo » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2014, 02:58:17 AM »

Here's my old-ish review of the DC Region 2 Japanese DVD release: http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/2014/05/reviews-from-archive-vol-1-celebration.html?m=1

Nice review, and great that you have a DVD copy in much higher quality than that on YouTube.  But when you state, "It’s certainly a more surly, energetic crowd that the gingerly-moving baby boomers in Hawaiian shirts you see at Mike Love’s shows these days," I'm wondering how many of those 1980 "energetic crowd members" are some of the 2014 "gingerly-moving baby boomers in Hawaiian shirts you see at Mike Love’s shows these days."

Could well be some of the same folks. I never suggested otherwise. I do think though that it's quite possible the mean or median or average age at a Beach Boys show in comparison to, say, the age of the group members, skewed younger than it does now, especially looking at adults.

I was also referencing how a free show on that scale probably would also bring in younger folks.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 03:00:03 AM by HeyJude » Logged

Nicko1234
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2014, 04:14:02 AM »

Could well be some of the same folks. I never suggested otherwise. I do think though that it's quite possible the mean or median or average age at a Beach Boys show in comparison to, say, the age of the group members, skewed younger than it does now, especially looking at adults.

I was also referencing how a free show on that scale probably would also bring in younger folks.

As Mike is now 73 I`m not sure that`s really possible...

Also, and I`m not trying to direct this to you, but I wonder whether some of the comments about the Mike and Bruce shows are from those who don`t actually attend. When I type in `Beach Boys 2014` on Youtube these are two of the first concerts that show up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57M5QaY6ko8

The camera does a round at 32.00 and shows that there are loads of young and old people in attendance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnczHSOMMQk

People of all ages clearly in attendance.

That matches my own experiences of attending the shows.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 04:34:22 AM by Nicko1234 » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2014, 05:20:00 AM »

Following on to the hostages comment, IIRC if you listen carefully to "Help Me Rhonda" on the Long Beach concert, you can hear someone in a low gutteral voice say something that sounds like "I love Shawn!"

Camera's not on the person saying it, but I have a pretty good guess who it was.

Might off a tad here, but I don't think they'd met by summer 1980 (Jon ?).

Is adamghost referring to the Long Beach concert - in 1981?
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx