gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:22:52 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 25 Years Ago: SMiLE CD T 2580-2  (Read 27712 times)
Tricycle Rider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 10, 2014, 04:36:04 AM »

I pulled this CD out tonight to give it a listen, and a flood of memories came back to me about the time it came out, how stunned I was at hearing SMiLE in this kind of fidelity after only having the 2 "Brother" records LPs and SMiLE - The Early Years CD (02-CD 3317). Anybody else have any memories of getting this? I'd love to hear them if you do.

Smile (T 2580-2)

01. Good Vibrations
02. Holiday (Look) (Song For Children)
03. Vegetables
04. Child is Father to the Man
05. Wonderful (no lead vocal, cold ending, no fade)
06. Been Way Too Long (intro not found on any other SMiLE boot unless it was copied from here) (my favorite version of this track)
07. Barnyard ("With Me Tonight" slow harpsichord version. Fades out before lead vocal starts)
08. Cabinessence (backing track for verses with doyne, doyne background vocals. Full vocals for 1st "Iron Horse". No Grand Coulee Dam section.)
09. Our Prayer (with 1968 overdubs and laughing at the end)
10. Tones ("Holiday")
11. Barnyard ("H&V Cantina Fade" with a tiny bit of tape explosion at the beginning)
12. Heroes and Villains (7 minutes of H&V sections)
13. Do You Like Worms?
14. Wind Chimes
15. Mrs. O’Leary’s Cow (with H&V intro at the beginning)
16. George Fell Into His French Horn
17. Surf’s Up (backing track followed by Brian's 1966 solo studio version)
18. The Old Master Painter
19. You Are My Sunshine
20. Cool, Cool Water

Total playing Time: 61.44

This was the 1st time any SMiLE material appeared with sound quality this high. (not counting tapes that were being traded in small collectors circles) I believe it was sourced from Mark Linett's 1988 rough mixes compilation:

I took an ad out in 1989 in Goldmine magazine offering $200.00 to the first person who could put this in my hands, and I was contacted by Les Chan who told me where I could find it for considerably less. Talking to him on the phone was a delight. What a sweet person he was. (thanks Les, we all miss you)

I can't help but think if it wasn't for this CD we wouldn't have gotten 30+ minutes of SMiLE on the 1993 box set.

I wonder why the bootleggers didn't give us ALL of the tracks from Mark's 1988 compilation?
I find it especially odd that they gave us the H&V Cantina fade, but not the whole song. I'm thinking track 10 on side two must have been "He Gives Speeches"? I LOVE that intro to "Been Way Too Long". It's fun to see how Mark didn't know some of the titles yet, considering how well versed he is now after the 2011 SMiLE Sessions release.

Did anybody here get a copy of Mark's compilation on cassette before this CD came out? If so, was it complete?
Answer me in a PM if you don't want that info known.  Smiley

Some of our forum members suffer from an acute form of cynicism resulting in a complete lack of patience and manners in the face of anything joyful or optimistic. Try to humor them as best you can for the time being, and one day, with your help, we will find a cure for this devastating disease. This has been a public service announcement.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 05:33:06 AM »

I acquired this CD on release too… remember being utterly blown away by the H&V sections.

That CWTL intro, if I'm recalling the right version (pre-revisit) is one of those exquisities that make Wilson's work so essential as well as, frankly, endearing.

Will dig it out tonight for a revisit, thanks for the prompt!

“We live in divisive times.”
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 07:47:38 AM »

I was 4  Sad
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 08:21:30 AM »

I was actually blown away at how BAD those bootlegs sounded. I was so used to the studio-quality sound and EQ on the Beatles' Unsurpassed Masters and Ultra Rare Trax CDs...these early Smile boots were an EQ nightmare. I think Heroes and Vibrations was the first really good-sounding Smile boot I ever heard.

(BTW, any BB attorneys/BRI staff lurking about...we KNOW you're there...but...mention of HEARING a bootleg should not be interpreted as necessarily POSSESSING such bootleg.)

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 08:55:55 AM »

Tricycle Rider, isn't that the Japanese SMiLE that came out around 1990? Think I paid 30 or 40 bucks for that at the time. The Japanese T2580-2 CD has no indication of who released it. That's an excellent quality disc that was supposedly compiled by Linett when a legit release of SMiLE was considered in 1988. This contained the original versions of Wind Chimes and Vega-Tables, Brian’s solo demo of Surf’s Up, and 7 minutes of unreleased Heroes and Villains segments.

1978/’79 – The "Priess tape".
1983 – First SMiLE bootleg, vinyl.
1985 - Second SMiLE bootleg, vinyl.
1989 – First SMiLE bootleg, CD.
1989 – Mark Linett SMiLE mixes, CD
1990 – Smile - Japanese T-2580-2, CD.
1990 - Smiley Smile 2-fer (bonus tracks - Cantina!) Priore played the tape of Heroes a few years before at a Beach Boys fan convention in Oakland, California.
1993 – Good Vibrations box set (bonus tracks).
1993 - SMiLE - Vigotone 110/111 2-CD boot.
1993 - SMiLE - Vigotone 3 album set, multiple colored vinyl.
1995 – Dave Prokopy SMiLE 3 tape set.
1998 - SMiLE - Heroes and Vibrations.
1999 - Sea Of Tunes Vol. 15 - Good Vibrations Sessions 3-CD boot. First heard alternate Good Vibrations (Asher lyrics) in 1976.
1999 – Sea Of Tunes Vol. 16, 17. Best quality SMiLE tracks to date.
2000 - SMiLE - Millenium edition.
2001 – Archeology.
2001 - Project SMiLE.
2004 - Brian Wilson Presents SMiLE (including instrumental tracks not included on original release).
2004 - Secret SMiLE.
2004 - Heroes and Villains Sessions Part 1 & 2.
2005 - SMiLE – Purple Chick Reconstruction.

The ones on Sphinx are "Alive and Smiling" and "Good Vibrations: Smile".  "Alive and Smiling" is the one with live tracks. There's another old one too called "Smile - Bits and Pieces".

The Japanese 2580, Sea Of Tunes Unsurpassed Masters 16 & 17 (box set), and the Vigotone sets were the best quality sound wise, I believe.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 08:57:15 AM »

And yes, Les Chan was a good man. Like the other well-known fans/collectors that have passed away the past 10 years, gone way too soon.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 10:01:13 AM »

The Japanese T2580-2 CD has no indication of who released it. That's an excellent quality disc that was supposedly compiled by Linett when a legit release of SMiLE was considered in 1988.

Just to clarify, Mark didn't compile this boot. Rather, it was sourced from a copy of a tape he compiled for Capitol to illustrate what was potentially available. Said tape, I was reliably informed at the time, came about when someone working on Brian's first album kept asking for a copy, then passed it on to a UK DJ friend of his.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 10:15:23 AM »

I was actually blown away at how BAD those bootlegs sounded. I was so used to the studio-quality sound and EQ on the Beatles' Unsurpassed Masters and Ultra Rare Trax CDs...these early Smile boots were an EQ nightmare. I think Heroes and Vibrations was the first really good-sounding Smile boot I ever heard.

(BTW, any BB attorneys/BRI staff lurking about...we KNOW you're there...but...mention of HEARING a bootleg should not be interpreted as necessarily POSSESSING such bootleg.)

Whenever I want to hear bootlegs , I always run right over to Mikie's house, cuz he has the best collection of them I've ever seen!!

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 10:40:03 AM »

I don't mind if you come over, Bgas. Just make sure you watch out for Guido the Doberman in the yard. He's very sensitive to strangers and gets pissed off easily, so if his long sharp teeth get embedded in one of your bones, I can't be libel. Thanks for your understanding.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 10:42:00 AM »

I don't mind if you come over, Bgas. Just make sure you watch out for Guido the Doberman in the yard. He's very sensitive to strangers and gets pissed off easily, so if his long sharp teeth get embedded in one of your bones, I can't be libel. Thanks for your understanding.

Guiido and I are pals. He always lets me in to borrow from your stuff, when ya'll aren't home

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2014, 10:51:48 AM »

DAMN it!  I trained that dog not to let anyone in when I'm not home.  He knows that I'll make any intruders swim with the fishes after he finishes them off!

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2014, 11:03:56 AM »

DAMN it!  I trained that dog not to let anyone in when I'm not home.  He knows that I'll make any intruders swim with the fishes after he finishes them off!

If it's any consolation for you, I showed him my smile acetates to prove I wasn't just anyone 

37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2014, 02:32:02 PM »

FWIW, his original tape set came out in 1993, if not before. And it was a 2-tape set before he expanded to three.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2014, 02:38:01 PM »

I first found out about it in 1996 or '97, soon after I read about it on the PSML or Cabinessence board. Wonder whatever happened to Prokopy. Maybe the same thing as Mike Wheeler.

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2014, 04:44:59 PM »

I pulled this CD out tonight to give it a listen, and a flood of memories came back to me about the time it came out, how stunned I was at hearing SMiLE in this kind of fidelity after only having the 2 "Brother" records LPs and SMiLE - The Early Years CD (02-CD 3317). Anybody else have any memories of getting this? I'd love to hear them if you do.

Yeah, I've got this one.  Cool memories, purchased Feb. 1990, signed by BW five months later.

It's only one of two of the early Smile boots I kept (the other being the Second Smile Bootleg 1985 LP) after better sources became available, although I never had anywhere near the Smile boot collection that Mikie has listed above.

My first introduction to the unreleased Smile material was on cassette, the sound quality of which was definitely lacking due to multi generations of copying coupled with copying on less than stellar equipment, resulting in lots of hiss, loss of high frequencies, and worst of all, pronounced over modulation distortion on many tracks.

The second Smile LP in 1985 was a definite improvement over the first one from 1983, but this CD, although suffering from a fair amount of hiss, offered great sound quality for the time and contained some really cool tracks, although I was disappointed that Wonderful lacked Brian's lead vocal.  But, like Tricycle Rider says, the CD was an absolutely amazing listen.

For those who weren't around or weren't BB fans "back in the day", the appearance of boots like this was akin to finding a buried treasure chest of sonic delights.  And unlike the prevailing wisdom at some record companies, the appearance of bootlegs such as this only served to increase the desire of fans to purchase officially released record company versions of the Smile material.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 04:51:27 PM by Custom Machine » Logged
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2014, 04:48:08 PM »

(Sorry, inadvertent duplicate post, pressing quote instead of modify, after I inadvertently uploaded the cover Charles Lloyd's Big Sur Tapestry, which I had just transferred to iTunes prior to getting rid of the LP, instead of the Smile boot cover.)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 04:50:53 PM by Custom Machine » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2014, 04:49:59 PM »

Big Sur Tapestry from Charles Lloyd was a SMile boot?  No wonder I missed out on some of the best stuff....

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2014, 04:55:13 PM »

I first found out about it in 1996 or '97, soon after I read about it on the PSML or Cabinessence board. Wonder whatever happened to Prokopy. Maybe the same thing as Mike Wheeler.
Mikie, he pops up on Hoffman's board every now and then.  He's still around.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2014, 04:55:34 PM »

Big Sur Tapestry from Charles Lloyd was a SMile boot?  No wonder I missed out on some of the best stuff....

Can't believe you don't know about this, bgas.  It's by far the rarest of the Smile boots!  Just make me a suitable offer, commensurate, of course, with it's extreme rarity, and it's yours!

(And now I had to modify this post when I noticed that my spell checker had changed "bgas" to "bags".) 

« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 05:02:05 PM by Custom Machine » Logged
Tricycle Rider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2014, 10:42:17 PM »

I acquired this CD on release too… remember being utterly blown away by the H&V sections.

That CWTL intro, if I'm recalling the right version (pre-revisit) is one of those exquisities that make Wilson's work so essential as well as, frankly, endearing.

Will dig it out tonight for a revisit, thanks for the prompt!

Me too. The H&V sections alone had me mesmerized. Of course, my mind (once I got over the shock) immediately started thinking about how I could now build the "Ultimate" H&V/SMiLE for myself. (I still have each and every one of the different versions of H&V that I've made over the years, including one from not so long ago that is basically H&V/Great Shape/Barnyard in a more fleshed out form)

That "Can't Wait Too Long" vocal intro is beautiful, isn't it?..I wonder when that was recorded? Craig, are you reading this? do you know? I would guess during "Wild Honey" but I really don't know.

I've never heard a "finished" version of CWTL anywhere. Does one exist that has gotten by me somehow?

Some of our forum members suffer from an acute form of cynicism resulting in a complete lack of patience and manners in the face of anything joyful or optimistic. Try to humor them as best you can for the time being, and one day, with your help, we will find a cure for this devastating disease. This has been a public service announcement.
Tricycle Rider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2014, 10:45:14 PM »

I was 4  Sad

I know how you feel, but look at the bright side. You're 29 now, and the rest of us are yelling at kids to get off our lawns!  LOL

Tricycle Rider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2014, 12:22:54 AM »

Did you have this one? It was eons better than anything that came before it. the Vigotone stuff was pretty good, but not on this level. Heroes and Vibrations is pretty good, but someone tried to tame the hiss using noise reduction and as a result the decay trail of any given vocals/music/reverb is a little funny. I still love that title, but that is the reality of it.

Those Beatles titles you mentioned were something else weren't they? I remember buying those Ultra Rare Trax CDs and looking at them at every red light and stop sign on my way home. They were neon green and neon orange, and FLOORED me when I got them home. I still have those! I also collected ALL of those Unsurpassed Masters volumes too. Those were the days.  Smiley

Tricycle Rider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2014, 12:35:27 AM »

Tricycle Rider, isn't that the Japanese SMiLE that came out around 1990? Think I paid 30 or 40 bucks for that at the time. The Japanese T2580-2 CD has no indication of who released it. That's an excellent quality disc that was supposedly compiled by Linett when a legit release of SMiLE was considered in 1988. This contained the original versions of Wind Chimes and Vega-Tables, Brian’s solo demo of Surf’s Up, and 7 minutes of unreleased Heroes and Villains segments.

1978/’79 – The "Priess tape".
1990 - Smiley Smile 2-fer (bonus tracks - Cantina!) Priore played the tape of Heroes a few years before at a Beach Boys fan convention in Oakland, California.
1999 - Sea Of Tunes Vol. 15 - Good Vibrations Sessions 3-CD boot. First heard alternate Good Vibrations (Asher lyrics) in 1976.
2000 - SMiLE - Millenium edition.
2001 – Archeology.
2001 - Project SMiLE.
2004 - Brian Wilson Presents SMiLE (including instrumental tracks not included on original release).
2004 - Secret SMiLE.

The ones on Sphinx are "Alive and Smiling" and "Good Vibrations: Smile".  "Alive and Smiling" is the one with live tracks. There's another old one too called "Smile - Bits and Pieces".

The Japanese 2580, Sea Of Tunes Unsurpassed Masters 16 & 17 (box set), and the Vigotone sets were the best quality sound wise, I believe.

Hey Mikie  Smiley

Yup, that's the one. Nice list you put together! The following are what I have from that list:

2001 – Archeology.
2001 - Project SMiLE.
2004 - Secret SMiLE.

You said "The Japanese 2580, Sea Of Tunes Unsurpassed Masters 16 & 17 (box set), and the Vigotone sets were the best quality sound wise, I believe."

I couldn't agree more. Has anybody tried to go through these "previous releases" to see if there is anything on them that either didn't turn up on the "SMiLE Sessions" 2011 release, or turned up in a more edited form?

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2014, 12:57:03 AM »

Smile (T 2580-2)

01. Good Vibrations
02. Holiday (Look) (Song For Children)
03. Vegetables
04. Child is Father to the Man
05. Wonderful (no lead vocal, cold ending, no fade)
06. Been Way Too Long (intro not found on any other SMiLE boot unless it was copied from here) (my favorite version of this track)
07. Barnyard ("With Me Tonight" slow harpsichord version. Fades out before lead vocal starts)
08. Cabinessence (backing track for verses with doyne, doyne background vocals. Full vocals for 1st "Iron Horse". No Grand Coulee Dam section.)
09. Our Prayer (with 1968 overdubs and laughing at the end)
10. Tones ("Holiday")
11. Barnyard ("H&V Cantina Fade" with a tiny bit of tape explosion at the beginning)
12. Heroes and Villains (7 minutes of H&V sections)
13. Do You Like Worms?
14. Wind Chimes
15. Mrs. O’Leary’s Cow (with H&V intro at the beginning)
16. George Fell Into His French Horn
17. Surf’s Up (backing track followed by Brian's 1966 solo studio version)
18. The Old Master Painter
19. You Are My Sunshine
20. Cool, Cool Water

Total playing Time: 61.44

This was the 1st time any SMiLE material appeared with sound quality this high. (not counting tapes that were being traded in small collectors circles) I believe it was sourced from Mark Linett's 1988 rough mixes compilation:

I took an ad out in 1989 in Goldmine magazine offering $200.00 to the first person who could put this in my hands, and I was contacted by Les Chan who told me where I could find it for considerably less. Talking to him on the phone was a delight. What a sweet person he was. (thanks Les, we all miss you)

I can't help but think if it wasn't for this CD we wouldn't have gotten 30+ minutes of SMiLE on the 1993 box set.

I wonder why the bootleggers didn't give us ALL of the tracks from Mark's 1988 compilation?
I find it especially odd that they gave us the H&V Cantina fade, but not the whole song. I'm thinking track 10 on side two must have been "He Gives Speeches"? I LOVE that intro to "Been Way Too Long". It's fun to see how Mark didn't know some of the titles yet, considering how well versed he is now after the 2011 SMiLE Sessions release.

Did anybody here get a copy of Mark's compilation on cassette before this CD came out? If so, was it complete?
Answer me in a PM if you don't want that info known.  Smiley

Your opening post brings back wonderful memories... I was going through a very difficult period in my life then (1989/1990). But I still enjoyed reading Goldmine, it wasn't carried by any normal Dutch magazine seller, but my record retailer had a subscription, and therefore I could get one of the two copies he received each month on a regular basis.

I recall there was a Beach Boys special (IIRC the first round of two-fers was announced), and it had this SMiLE CD from Japan in the reviews section. Five stars and a description of its duration and its contents.

I was blown away. For weeks on end I had just one thought: boots are the work of the devil and I am not allowed to purchase, let alone play such a satanic thing.

But my OCD forced me to visit a record fair in Amsterdam. I tried to skip all racks with BBs stuff, to no avail. God is my witness that I tried to resist temptation with all my might.

Then I saw a stall from a German seller, I still know his name, after 24 years: Norbert Morawitz.

There was that CD divider that read: Beach Boys.

I tried to run out of the building, to pay a visit to the nearest church.

The OCD decided otherwise. My right arm had taken on a life all of its own (much as an addict reaches for the bottle, against his will). I browsed. I found the item we speak of here. It cost 100 Dutch guilders, and that was not abnormal.

I bought it, much to my ethical chagrin.

Seated in the train home, I tried to throw this CD out of the window, many times.

I did not succeed.

At home, I reached for a cigarette lighter, to render the CD unplayable. The lighter wouln't work. It was empty.

So I gave in, and played the d*mn thing.

And got an aural orgasm.

(To all legal parties: this account is fictional in nature. It's the privilege of any writer.)

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2014, 01:38:12 AM »

I feel your pain!  Grin
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx