gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:40:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: God Only Knows BBC Music ad  (Read 76999 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2014, 03:38:45 PM »

Well let's hope that's the game plan...

Personally I wouldn't be surprised if October/November passes and we hear nothing about the album

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Larry Franz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2014, 03:47:40 PM »

For those of us who don't know who most of these nice people are, the BBC explains, with pictures and little bios:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/16Pkb2PwbHJxjVhJmYwQBw6/whos-in-the-impossible-orchestra

Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into. (It became fine later on.)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2014, 04:04:30 PM »

Well let's hope that's the game plan...

Personally I wouldn't be surprised if October/November passes and we hear nothing about the album

"They played a handful of shows this summer gearing up for the release of Wilson’s new album, set for early December."

http://www.modbee.com/2014/10/02/3569033_brian-wilson-al-jardine-bring.html?sp=/99/2628/&rh=1
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2014, 04:07:10 PM »

November... December... January... At least it will be released within the next few months. It would be nice though if the date was announced.
RBennett123
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2014, 04:15:56 PM »

I almost teared up watching this. Made my hair stand on end.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2014, 04:30:00 PM »

Wow. Great to see some of my "other" idols up there paying tribute to the big guy. Stevie still sounds great. Pharrell's phrasing was a little weird, but maybe will grow on me.

The last shot of BW is SO COOL.

Already 7,000+ likes on the video. That's viral status. What a cool & classy way to throw BW back into the mainstream.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2014, 04:59:23 PM »

Details on the filming.

http://www.creativereview.co.uk/cr-blog/2014/october/ad-of-the-week-bbc-music-god-only-knows
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2014, 06:35:25 PM »

That was terrific.

If you're on Facebook, Twitter, etc...post that and send it to a friend. Nothing in the world beats getting a few minutes of pure unexpected joy from a work of art such as this.

What struck me was the arrangement...Ethan Johns orchestrated it for the remake, but consider he rarely strayed from Brian's original arrangement, the unique musical vision of a guy 23 years old when he created that masterpiece.

It still resonates, it still inspires. It always will.

Thanks for posting.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2014, 07:59:56 PM »

Beautiful song. It's just so wonderful.  It sounds good no matter the year or who's singing it. It's timeless. There's a lot of love in that song and I can truly feel it.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2014, 09:57:41 PM »

Hi Bruce. Just want to say good luck singing 'God' next show. There's talk it could be a No1 hit soon. Me, Elton, Stevie and all the rest know you try your best every night. Did I mention it might be No1?

All the best buddy!
Bri
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 07, 2014, 11:04:56 PM »

Those first couple views of  the video gave me chills/goosebumps pretty much the whole time.

What a great tribute to one of the greatest of his era!

Not that we think he needs any more, but this should definitely give BW some more cool points in the general public's eyes.

Here's to a number 1 single!!!

No mas, por favor.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2014, 11:50:10 PM »

I'm not modern enough to find out how to buy… can anyone under 20 help please?

“We live in divisive times.”
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2014, 11:52:17 PM »

I'm not modern enough to find out how to buy… can anyone under 20 help please?

I don't think it's available to purchase anywhere yet. If it is they're making it really hard to find  Tongue

dombanzai
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2014, 11:52:42 PM »

Great that Brian is back in the news for all the right reasons and God Only Knows has been given a platform... but I thought it was awful. You cannot improve on perfection, so why bother? And the fact that that crappy little group O*e D*******n are on it leaves me appalled.

Sorry...
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 07, 2014, 11:55:01 PM »

I love it. What makes it great is having Brian in the video...I felt quite emotional seeing him sing the last line. Not many songs could be picked for this kinda thing.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 07, 2014, 11:58:12 PM »

Great that Brian is back in the news for all the right reasons and God Only Knows has been given a platform... but I thought it was awful. You cannot improve on perfection, so why bother? And the fact that that crappy little group O*e D*******n are on it leaves me appalled.

Sorry...
It's okay, to each their own. the captain feels the same, so you're not alone.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2014, 12:00:20 AM »

Holy crap. This is the first glimpse into the magical world that will be created with No Pier Pressure.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 12:02:06 AM by Spil Phector » Logged

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2014, 01:25:19 AM »

Even with borderline functional hearing in the one working ear, that was hugely impressive (except for Jake Bugg). Points to ponder...

It was the song chosen...
No-one said no when asked to take part...
They managed to keep it under wraps for two years...
It will chart very high in the UK, maybe #1.

And finally, you don't have to listen to it or buy it if you don't like it. Or comment on it.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 08, 2014, 01:39:01 AM »

No one's mentioned the real reason this song was chosen by the BBC....

1. The BBC is a publicly funded broadcasting organisation - i.e. paid for from a form of taxation, and free of advertising on radio and TV (and online etc).

2. The UK has a general election in May 2015 after which it's quite possible that a Conservative government, keen to pare back public services, will make further severe cuts - including to the BBC.... if not privatising it. The Tories don't like the BBC.

3. Hence 'God only knows where I'd be without you'.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 01:41:26 AM by chris.metcalfe » Logged
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 08, 2014, 02:19:06 AM »

No one's mentioned the real reason this song was chosen by the BBC....

1. The BBC is a publicly funded broadcasting organisation - i.e. paid for from a form of taxation, and free of advertising on radio and TV (and online etc).

2. The UK has a general election in May 2015 after which it's quite possible that a Conservative government, keen to pare back public services, will make further severe cuts - including to the BBC.... if not privatising it. The Tories don't like the BBC.

3. Hence 'God only knows where I'd be without you'.

as for point #3, do you really think that the "subliminal message" will sway anyone's opinion? Really?

i love the BBC. I watched the first show in Brian Cox's new series last night. Superb TV.

And as for the general election, all 3 main parties will "lose" no matter who forms a government. All 3 parties are weak and this will allow extremist fools to gain ground. I find it hard to bring myself to vote for Cameron Clegg or Miliband, but there's no way i'm voting for any of the others.

In other news, it was wonderful switching over from Star Trek TNG during the advert break to the BBC News 24 channel and being surprised by GOK. Made my hair stand on end. Very touching.
lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 08, 2014, 03:19:56 AM »

Eh. Thought I was watching a scene from OZ The Great and Powerful.   LOL
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 08, 2014, 04:02:18 AM »

Not that we think he needs any more, but this should definitely give BW some more cool points in the general public's eyes.

Yeah, how ironic. He wanted to get on the radio, but...with no pier pressure.
ToneBender631
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 08, 2014, 04:13:31 AM »

Yeah, how ironic. He wanted to get on the radio, but...with no pier pressure.

Gotta start somewhere so reminding the world that you wrote "God Only Knows" with a little help from the BBC is a pretty smart way to do it. Potential #1 single in the UK that should get major play on tv and radio, a (so far) critically acclaimed biopic about to launch and a star studded solo album.  If ever a 72 year old Brian Wilson was going to get new music played on the radio, this would be the time!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 08, 2014, 05:10:43 AM »

I thought this would've been available for download by now. I wonder what happened to the midnight release?

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 08, 2014, 05:23:31 AM »

I thought this would've been available for download by now. I wonder what happened to the midnight release?
Maybe they meant the upcoming midnight? No clue.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx