gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 04:53:48 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: On The Road to Rishikesh  (Read 6553 times)
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 01, 2014, 12:59:19 PM »

Mike Love embarked on a spiritual journey in 1966 - it was the road to Rishikesh. Throughout his life Mike has talked about his time in India - often through music. Whether it's the seminal "Rishikesh" on Charles Lloyd's "Waves" album, or the seminal "Pisces Brothers" off of the unreleased yet seminal "Unleash the Love" album or even in the live shows, like Carnegie Hall 1971, where he would read a poem about his Indian interests.

This one is called "Peace and Love (and Cynthia)"

There's no doubt in my mind that this experience planted the seeds of his future creative endeavors, such as "Battle When of the Republic" or the seminal "Everything I Touch Turns to Tears" - which has yet to see the light of day on an offical Country Love release. Indian practices often teach patience - this is likely just part of the master plan, along with having fun fun fun as America's band.

for me it doesn't get better than his work on Waves. did someone say seminal?
http://youtu.be/nSRL4z6ADQQ?t=34m33s

There are so many moments of Mike Love/Rishikesh goodness. Can you collect them all?

So here's a challenge - the person with the best contribution(s) to The Road to Rishikesh will receive an Indian poem, signed and written by yours truly (instructions on levitation will be included on a napkin).

Through this we ourselves can embark...On The Road to Rishikesh And the greatest!

soniclovenoize
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 01:05:50 PM »

My heart is beating fast!

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 01:08:11 PM »

I wonder how Mike live poetry sessions went over with the crowd? I guess not well. Evil

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 01:12:16 PM »

Mike is surely no Leonard Cohen, but if Charles Lloyd wanted this poem on the album I don't see what's wrong with it.

I would not call this poem seminal. Nor has anyone else.

And this thread certainly is not seminal. It really lacks substance and its attack mode makes it fall flat. It's a low-point. Why not create a thread where we discuss/deconstruct this album/poem instead? In a non-kindergarten way.

I will give this album a spin tomorrow. I like Charles Lloyd.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 01:14:15 PM by David von Wrinkles » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 01:18:20 PM »

I still think he needs to complete his magnum opus, show that Brian Wilson once and for all what inspiration is all about and make his big concept album about the trip to India. He could rerecord all of the TM-themed songs to lighten the songwriting load, put Pisces Brother in there, do a nice little segue with campfire sound fx as he talks about the Beatles singing him Happy Birthday, beg Yoko to use the recording... do a tasty, infectiously rhymey car-type song about proper meditation practice with the verses written on the drive to the studio for maximum commercial appeal, it's a surefire winner and how could Capitol Records refuse?

They wouldn't, because it'd be seminal. And the Kickstarter to raise money to afford Bruno Mars' participation would go viral BIGTIME!

Cmon, Mike. Unleash the Love. All your fans love it when you go all TM.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 01:24:11 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 01:22:03 PM »

I know that this is nit-picky and not on topic, but I'm almost positive that the woman in this picture is not Cynthia.  It looks a bit more like Pattie Boyd, George's then wife and future wife of Eric Clapton, to me.

That being said, I could be wrong.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 01:23:31 PM by CosmicDancer » Logged

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 02:19:31 PM »

You're right that it's not Cynthia. Not sure who it is though.
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 02:31:41 PM »

I wonder how Mike live poetry sessions went over with the crowd? I guess not well. Evil

In all seriousness , Mike actually did recite this poem in Carnagie Hall at the first of two shows in September, 1971. A little background. "Surf's Up" had just been released and was extremely successful ; tons of airplay on the progressive FM stations at the time here in NY ; WNEW and WPLJ; additionally went to number 29 , I think, in Billboard , which was a miracle compared to 'Sunflower". To set the stage , there was a full page article in Time Magazine, where Carl stated that Brian would be playing the Carnagie Hall dates, so there was a real great vibe in the hall.  

At this time, The Beach Boys were opening the second half of their set with solo performances by each of the guys.  I can't remember the exact order , but it went something like this : Carl- "Caroline , No " on accoustic guitar; Al- "Lookin' At Tomorrow" on acoustic guitar; Bruce- "Disney Girls" on Wurlitzer electric piano ; Dennis- a stunning "Barbara" on grand piano with all the lights in Carnagie Hall turned off....amazing....Mike- "Rishikesh" ; no intrumental backup.

New York is not an easy place to play , and especially back then; we  New Yorkers also , maybe outside of Philadelphia , have some of the best/worst hecklers in the world. During most of the concerts in that time people were constantly shouting out requests, and it really annoyed the hell out of the group.  When Mike was reciting "Rishikesh" , people started talking ; I remember three specific things that were shouted out; first was "Little Deuce Coupe !" , another was "where's Brian ?" and the other was " hey Robert Frost , get the f..k off "...

Not a great moment ; it was really uncomfortable.  About 6 songs later The Beach Boys debuted "Surf's Up" live. The Agony and the Ecstacy.
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 02:32:01 PM »

John looks like he's had enough of The Lovester; I think that's when Lennon's spiritual journey came to an end.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 02:43:21 PM »

John looks like he's had enough of The Lovester; I think that's when Lennon's spiritual journey came to an end.

Maybe he just wants some damn drugs.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 02:57:43 PM »

I like it. So f***.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 03:16:22 PM »

PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2014, 04:36:00 PM »

In all seriousness , Mike actually did recite this poem in Carnagie Hall at the first of two shows in September, 1971. A little background. "Surf's Up" had just been released and was extremely successful ; tons of airplay on the progressive FM stations at the time here in NY ; WNEW and WPLJ; additionally went to number 29 , I think, in Billboard , which was a miracle compared to 'Sunflower". To set the stage , there was a full page article in Time Magazine, where Carl stated that Brian would be playing the Carnagie Hall dates, so there was a real great vibe in the hall. 

At this time, The Beach Boys were opening the second half of their set with solo performances by each of the guys.  I can't remember the exact order , but it went something like this : Carl- "Caroline , No " on accoustic guitar; Al- "Lookin' At Tomorrow" on acoustic guitar; Bruce- "Disney Girls" on Wurlitzer electric piano ; Dennis- a stunning "Barbara" on grand piano with all the lights in Carnagie Hall turned off....amazing....Mike- "Rishikesh" ; no intrumental backup.

New York is not an easy place to play , and especially back then; we  New Yorkers also , maybe outside of Philadelphia , have some of the best/worst hecklers in the world. During most of the concerts in that time people were constantly shouting out requests, and it really annoyed the hell out of the group.  When Mike was reciting "Rishikesh" , people started talking ; I remember three specific things that were shouted out; first was "Little Deuce Coupe !" , another was "where's Brian ?" and the other was " hey Robert Frost , get the f..k off "...

Not a great moment ; it was really uncomfortable.  About 6 songs later The Beach Boys debuted "Surf's Up" live. The Agony and the Ecstacy.

I was there too, Ray, for the first show at Carnegie, 9/71 You are exactly right - the vibe in the room was electric. I went out of my head when they did "It's About Time" with the whole percussion ensemble ---and then hearing Surf's Up (There was an ad for the lp on the Carnegie Program, which is somewhere in my files). I do have an audio recording, but it sounds pretty crappy compared to my audio dreams of that show. First time I ever saw them of many, many shows to come.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2014, 04:50:43 PM »

Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2014, 05:08:43 PM »

All I can do is quote the Dali Lama:

"The more you are motivated by LOVE the more fearless and free your actions will be."

and...

"LOVE is the absence of judgement. "

I'm sure it applies somehow.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2014, 05:37:06 PM »

"Love opens all doors, no matter how closed they may be, no matter how rusty from lack of use." - Maharishi Mahesh Yogi
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2014, 06:22:05 PM »

And, you know, the Wilsons did drugs….

http://www.desertsun.com/story/life/entertainment/2014/10/01/mike-love-beach-boys-meditation/16559013
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2014, 06:23:46 PM »

Especially that Dennis Wilson character. His songwriting talents were negated by his drug use, alcoholism and ignorance of TM.

SIP.FLAC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2014, 06:37:50 PM »

In India Mike Love met with the famous rock group the Beatles. It was here Mike wrote the song BACK IN THE USSR. Legend has it that Paul McCartney gets credit because Mike used his back as if it were a desk. To this day whenever Mike sees Paul he yells "hows my favorite piece of furniture" and slathers Sir Paul with varnish. Sir Paul thinks its fun and enjoyable. Sir Paul is a sick man. . . 

Youre not allowed to have a picture in your signature so imagine this : Tony Montana shooting a machine gun (his little friend), but the face is actually Mike Love haha.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2014, 06:48:12 PM »

LOL

That means he VARNISHED the reputation of the Beatles *cough*

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2014, 07:50:17 PM »

"When Love is not madness, it is not Love." - Pedro Calderon de la Barca

“Love is much like a wild rose, beautiful and calm, but willing to draw blood in its defense.”  - Mark Overby

"Love is being stupid together." - Paul Valery

"Love is, above all, the gift of oneself." - Jean Anouilh
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 08:04:16 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2014, 08:04:49 PM »

At this time, The Beach Boys were opening the second half of their set with solo performances by each of the guys.  I can't remember the exact order , but it went something like this : Carl- "Caroline , No " on accoustic guitar; Al- "Lookin' At Tomorrow" on acoustic guitar; Bruce- "Disney Girls" on Wurlitzer electric piano ; Dennis- a stunning "Barbara" on grand piano with all the lights in Carnagie Hall turned off....amazing....Mike- "Rishikesh" ; no intrumental backup.

New York is not an easy place to play , and especially back then; we  New Yorkers also , maybe outside of Philadelphia , have some of the best/worst hecklers in the world. During most of the concerts in that time people were constantly shouting out requests, and it really annoyed the hell out of the group.  When Mike was reciting "Rishikesh" , people started talking ; I remember three specific things that were shouted out; first was "Little Deuce Coupe !" , another was "where's Brian ?" and the other was " hey Robert Frost , get the f..k off "...

Not a great moment ; it was really uncomfortable.  About 6 songs later The Beach Boys debuted "Surf's Up" live. The Agony and the Ecstacy.

I was there too, Ray, for the first show at Carnegie, 9/71 You are exactly right - the vibe in the room was electric. I went out of my head when they did "It's About Time" with the whole percussion ensemble ---and then hearing Surf's Up (There was an ad for the lp on the Carnegie Program, which is somewhere in my files). I do have an audio recording, but it sounds pretty crappy compared to my audio dreams of that show. First time I ever saw them of many, many shows to come.

i have (somewhere) a fairly decent audience recording of that concert. All night long I expected Brian (per Carl in Time Magazine) to come out and play "Surf's Up". So just as Carl was introducing "Surf's Up" I yelled out " where's Brian ?" and Dennis gave the perfect answer : "Brian's in this song".

"Rishikesh' , to my memory, was not recited in the second show.

And of course , Brian was not at either.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2014, 08:08:47 PM »

Mike Love embarked on a spiritual journey in 1966 - it was the road to Rishikesh. Throughout his life Mike has talked about his time in India - often through music. Whether it's the seminal "Rishikesh" on Charles Lloyd's "Waves" album, or the seminal "Pisces Brothers" off of the unreleased yet seminal "Unleash the Love" album or even in the live shows, like Carnegie Hall 1971, where he would read a poem about his Indian interests.

This one is called "Peace and Love (and Cynthia)"

There's no doubt in my mind that this experience planted the seeds of his future creative endeavors, such as "Battle When of the Republic" or the seminal "Everything I Touch Turns to Tears" - which has yet to see the light of day on an offical Country Love release. Indian practices often teach patience - this is likely just part of the master plan, along with having fun fun fun as America's band.

for me it doesn't get better than his work on Waves. did someone say seminal?
http://youtu.be/nSRL4z6ADQQ?t=34m33s

There are so many moments of Mike Love/Rishikesh goodness. Can you collect them all?

So here's a challenge - the person with the best contribution(s) to The Road to Rishikesh will receive an Indian poem, signed and written by yours truly (instructions on levitation will be included on a napkin).

Through this we ourselves can embark...On The Road to Rishikesh And the greatest!

Pattie Boyd

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2014, 08:18:16 PM »

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2014, 08:21:26 PM »

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx