gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680747 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 01:05:24 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Pile Up In California  (Read 64219 times)
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« on: September 27, 2014, 08:56:06 AM »

I would imagine some of you have noticed that THREE separate factions of Beach Boys entities are all performing in California tonight, Sept 27th. Brian and Al at the Vina Robles Amphiteatre in Paso Robles, Mike and Bruce at the Festival of The Arts in Laguna Beach, and David Marks with the Surf City All-Stars at the Lobster Festival in Redondo Beach. I guess it's entirely possible they could all be playing the same song at the exact same moment which to me seems...weird. I know some people will say, hey it's a positive...people all over the state can enjoy the Beach Boys tonight. Cool! Yeah, well, maybe on one level it is. But part of me feels like this is an example of how the Beach Boys "brand" or the Beach Boys legacy continues to dilute and confuse people. "I'm going to see the Beach Boys tonight...in Paso"..."No, the Beach Boys are playing in Laguna"...ummm...wait..."I'm seeing one of the founding Beach Boys tonight in Redondo"..."no the original guys are playing Laguna"..."uh uh...the genius behind the music is playing Paso"..."But wait the lead singer is playing in Laguna"...My brain just exploded.

Memo to Beach Boys...get the F back together and be the best band you can.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 09:01:01 AM »

Right on, Jon.

Although I wish I had the extravagant 'problem' of living in California and being uncertain who the 'real' Beach Boys are, or where to go. Tongue For those who attend any of the shows - have fun!!
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 09:11:16 AM »

Could not agree more with John. The Professor said this yesterday in the thread on Dave's interview, so I woke up feeling this exact thought.....

I go to Redondo all the time just to walk and listen to the BB and sing in the wind. Can't see any of the shows tonight--just failed to sign up for the Lobster Fest....

feeling wistful and lost, and I hope the Boys perceive the irony of today and, frankly, feel some of the alienation that could motivate them to find each other again....

Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 09:16:04 AM »

Obviously there are problems with Mike and Brian and Mike and Al, but Dave would be welcome at either show, right?
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 09:16:50 AM »

I live in California, within driving distance of all three shows. I briefly thought about going to Brian and Al's, but in the end I'm going to none of them. Not a matter of money or time, just not motivated enough. Now if they were all playing in one stage together?  Come on, you wouldn't be able to keep me out of the front row

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 09:24:32 AM »

I live in California, within driving distance of all three shows. I briefly thought about going to Brian and Al's, but in the end I'm going to none of them. Not a matter of money or time, just not motivated enough. Now if they were all playing in one stage together?  Come on, you wouldn't be able to keep me out of the front row

There's the (almost)perfect solution! 
Since they can't/won't play together, they should book events where they're all on the same bill, then see which band can blow the others off the stage!

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 09:50:39 AM »

Since they can't/won't play together, they should book events where they're all on the same bill, then see which band can blow the others off the stage!

There was a time where they kind of did that. I saw The Beach Boys and Chicago at The Spectrum in Philadelphia in 1989. Right in the middle of The Beach Boys' set, Brian Wilson and makeshift band was introduced. So Brian comes out and performs a three song set and then he's gone. I swear a large majority of the audience had no idea what they were seeing or how historical (at that time) it was. During the joint (Chicago and BB) encore, Brian popped up, way at the back of the stage, just kind of wandering around and not really singing or playing anything. Very strange but exciting evening.
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2014, 10:04:04 AM »

Here's to hoping they'll realize that someday soon.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2014, 10:08:01 AM »

I don't think it's a "they," really. I think it's a "he."
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2014, 10:36:12 AM »

It's ALL of them. They need to get their sh*t together. I live within proximity of two of the Brian/Al shows and I ain't going either. This Summer there were three venues that The Beach Boys played at that were within reach - two were within 25 miles of my house. Hell no, I won't go. Like Southbay suggests, when they all get back together on the same stage, I'm there.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2014, 12:11:40 PM »

This is a perfect example of why the C50 Reunion Tour was commercially and critically successful to a degree that the Beach Boys brand has not experienced in a long time, because it's simply better than any of the lesser alternatives. And that's not to say the rest isn't good or even great, ...but C50 was as good as it gets in the now. This weekend's "California Pile Up" has me feeling nostalgic for the C50 BB's.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2014, 12:49:10 PM »

This is a perfect example of why the C50 Reunion Tour was commercially and critically successful to a degree that the Beach Boys brand has not experienced in a long time, because it's simply better than any of the lesser alternatives. And that's not to say the rest isn't good or even great, ...but C50 was as good as it gets in the now. This weekend's "California Pile Up" has me feeling nostalgic for the C50 BB's.

Uh, yep. This weekend just depresses me. What could be...

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2014, 12:52:07 PM »

Wow, Brian Wilson, yes Brian Fucking Wilson is playing near you and you are not going. That blows my mind! I now need a drink!
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2014, 12:55:25 PM »

I would never pass that up.... Tongue

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2014, 01:14:06 PM »

I don't think it's a "they," really. I think it's a "he."

"set end date"    LOL

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2014, 01:19:24 PM »

We need Dennis. He would bang some heads together until everyone sees some sense. LOL
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2014, 03:58:12 PM »

Right on, Jon.

Although I wish I had the extravagant 'problem' of living in California and being uncertain who the 'real' Beach Boys are, or where to go. Tongue For those who attend any of the shows - have fun!!

Right on, Lowbacca!  I'd love it if a 3 way BB rumble was happening in my town - as opposed to the once every 5 year stadium appearance.

But yeah, as per Jon, get back together, BB people, like immediately.

How about Southbay drive to Dave's show, Mikie drive to Mike and Bruce's show, lure them away with some kind of smoke story and then drive them over to Brian and Al's show.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2014, 04:42:18 PM »

We need Dennis. He would bang some heads together until everyone sees some sense. LOL
Actually, Carl would have taken care of it. Had he lived, Mike would not not have been able to pull his power plays over the years. There would not have been the fracture that materialized after his death.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2014, 04:46:22 PM »

Actually, Carl would have taken care of it. Had he lived, Mike would not not have been able to pull his power plays over the years. There would not have been the fracture that materialized after his death.

And the C50 shows would never have felt as important or happened the same way, so....

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2014, 06:44:16 PM »

Totally.  For the sake of their legacy, not to mention interest and support from the public, these guys really need to get back together again.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2014, 06:57:22 PM »

I think you're right, Doc.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2014, 07:17:22 PM »

If they pay any attention to this board I hope they see this thread.   all of them and their wives and managers.  I f this bunch is passing on this conjunction of shows, they are LOSING their primary hard core fans and supporters.  Absolutely no reason why Brian, Al and David can't join in on the Beach Boys show for a predetermined number of dates per tour.  Sure, BW doesn't want to tour much, just do it when he does do it with THE BEACH BOYS!  WTF would be wrong with that???
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2014, 07:29:53 PM »

If they pay any attention to this board I hope they see this thread.   all of them and their wives and managers.  I f this bunch is passing on this conjunction of shows, they are LOSING their primary hard core fans and supporters.  Absolutely no reason why Brian, Al and David can't join in on the Beach Boys show for a predetermined number of dates per tour.  Sure, BW doesn't want to tour much, just do it when he does do it with THE BEACH BOYS!  WTF would be wrong with that???

Well, this is what I was saying right after C50, when all of the "Well, Brian doesn't tour as much as Mike does, etc, etc…" excuses were being bandied about.

There is a way for everyone to get what they want. Reserve the Beach Boys name for the full group, including Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce and David. Run this group like C50 and book the bigger venues that were offered, but do fewer shows a year. License out the "Beach Boys Touring Band" as a smaller outfit that Mike and Bruce can take to the State Fairs and do the fun in the sun shows.  Make sure the booking information indicates that there are two distinct configurations of the same band, hire a manager to handle scheduling and contracts for both groups. It's bound to be less confusing than what we have now,  everyone gets to be Beach Boys their way, and instead of all of this bickering, they can finish with dignity and style.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 07:31:14 PM by Cyncie » Logged
Nicko1234
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2014, 07:39:35 PM »

If they pay any attention to this board I hope they see this thread.   all of them and their wives and managers.  I f this bunch is passing on this conjunction of shows, they are LOSING their primary hard core fans and supporters.  Absolutely no reason why Brian, Al and David can't join in on the Beach Boys show for a predetermined number of dates per tour.  Sure, BW doesn't want to tour much, just do it when he does do it with THE BEACH BOYS!  WTF would be wrong with that???

Unfortunately there are a number of reasons. Some good, some bad, some important, some trivial...but cumulatively enough to ensure that it doesn`t happen.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2014, 05:47:48 AM »

This is a perfect example of why the C50 Reunion Tour was commercially and critically successful to a degree that the Beach Boys brand has not experienced in a long time, because it's simply better than any of the lesser alternatives. And that's not to say the rest isn't good or even great, ...but C50 was as good as it gets in the now.

Indeed. It is also quite simple:

C50 = The Beach Boys
all the rest = not The Beach Boys

The whole is greater than the sum of it's parts

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx