gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:44:35 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I'm meeting Mike Love's Beach Boys tomorrow  (Read 18014 times)
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 26, 2014, 04:59:45 PM »

Sorry for the contentious title, but I didn't want to cause any confusion over who I was actually going to be meeting.

So, through a friend of mine who very much wants me to go, I have a meet & greet pass and tickets to the Beach Boys show tomorrow in Long Beach, CA. So, thanks to her, I'll be meeting Mike and Bruce and Jeff and everyone, and I figured this would be a good time to get some questions answers. However, realizing that I don't have any questions, you guys feel free to list your own, as many as you want. I'll pick a couple and ask them tomorrow.

Also, I was told to bring a record along to get signed, I guess by Mike and Bruce. Any suggestions on which one to bring? This is what I have:
  • Summer Days [orig mono]
  • Pet Sounds [orig mono, open]
  • Pet Sounds [orig mono, sealed]
  • Pet Sounds [2008 "ltd."]
  • "Good Vibrations" 45 [orig]
  • Sunflower [2009]
  • Surf's Up [orig]
  • Holland [orig + 45]
  • 15 Big Ones [orig]
  • Love You [orig, sealed]
  • L.A. (Light Album) [sealed]
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 05:18:18 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 05:01:28 PM »

15 Big Ones seems the most Mike Love-ish.
SIP.FLAC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 05:07:48 PM »

I have a question that needs asking.

Youre not allowed to have a picture in your signature so imagine this : Tony Montana shooting a machine gun (his little friend), but the face is actually Mike Love haha.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 05:08:13 PM »

Oh man, you're gonna have fun!

Is the meet and greet before or after the show? Cause if its beforehand you could ask them if they'd take a request. It would be pretty neat to have them do "Marcella" or something, just because you asked!

Also, I was told to bring a record along to get signed, I guess by Mike and Bruce. Any suggestions on which one to bring? This is what I have:
  • "Good Vibrations" 45
  • Sunflower [2009]

Those are my top picks to have something signed. If I were you I'd probably agonize for hours over which one, and just bring Pet Sounds by default  Cheesy

bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 05:14:26 PM »

firstly..... I would go with 'sunflower'...... they both dig it, and both are quite vocally present....

and just as a collector?..... do NOT get a 'sealed' Pet Sounds signed unless your gonna have all of the original members on there...

getting Denny's n Carl's may be a bit difficult now....  Undecided

and if it's mono..... its worth more sealed, not with Mike n Bruce's autographs...... leave that baby as it is....

my question would be......

when do we get to hear and see new or old 'Mike Love' solo music??...... even a reissue of 'Looking Back With Love'....??

RickB

« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 05:16:18 PM by Rick Bartlett » Logged
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 05:22:49 PM »

I would probably go with Sunflower myself, as it has some definite highlights for both M&B.

As for things to ask, see if you can find out what M&B's favorite unreleased tracks are. If you do ask that though, be careful to phrase it so Mike can't answer "Goin' To The Beach".
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 05:26:37 PM »

15 Big Ones seems the most Mike Love-ish.

Yeah, but there's no Bruce. Bruce might fight me or something if I give him short shrift.

I have a question that needs asking.

Excellent, I'll be sure to ask them.

Oh man, you're gonna have fun!

Is the meet and greet before or after the show? Cause if its beforehand you could ask them if they'd take a request. It would be pretty neat to have them do "Marcella" or something, just because you asked!

• "Good Vibrations" 45
  • Sunflower [2009]

Those are my top picks to have something signed. If I were you I'd probably agonize for hours over which one, and just bring Pet Sounds by default  Cheesy

I don't know if the meet & greet is before or after the show, but if I get to them before, we both know I'll ask for "All I Wanna Do". My phone will be at the ready...
Thanks for the suggestions. I was thinking about those records, but, like you said, I'll be thinking about it until I'm out the door tomorrow.

firstly..... I would go with 'sunflower'...... they both dig it, and both are quite vocally present....

and just as a collector?..... do NOT get a 'sealed' Pet Sounds signed unless your gonna have all of the original members on there...

getting Denny's n Carl's may be a bit difficult now....  Undecided

and if it's mono..... its worth more sealed, not with Mike n Bruce's autographs...... leave that baby as it is....

my question would be......

when do we get to hear and see new or old 'Mike Love' solo music??...... even a reissue of 'Looking Back With Love'....??

RickB

Well, of course I would have them sign the shrink wrap. I might just save the record for a Brian signature one day, though.
I don't think Mike's too crazy about Looking Back with Love and I'd prefer to not have him shush me, but I'll ask about his other music.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2014, 05:29:40 PM »

I don't know if the meet & greet is before or after the show, but if I get to them before, we both know I'll ask for "All I Wanna Do". My phone will be at the ready...

If you get The Beach Boys to perform All I Wanna Do for the first time ever, I will seriously lose my sh*t. That would be awesome.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2014, 05:32:31 PM »

I would probably go with Sunflower myself, as it has some definite highlights for both M&B.

Sunflower does seem to make the most sense, but I wish it was an original copy instead of my 2008 repress if I have the ability to get it signed. Maybe I'll have to check around some record stores before I head over to the concert tomorrow.

As for things to ask, see if you can find out what M&B's favorite unreleased tracks are. If you do ask that though, be careful to phrase it so Mike can't answer "Goin' To The Beach".

That would definitely be an interesting question to get an answer to. I'll add it to mah list.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 06:01:04 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2014, 06:05:06 PM »

In fact, I wouldn't muck up any of those records with Mike's autograph.  Just have them sign your special pass.
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2014, 06:36:39 PM »

Ask Mike if he's aware of how badly some fans would LOVE to hear All I Wanna Do performed live.

Like most people have mentioned, I'd get Sunflower autographed. It's a great album and has contributions by both Mike and Bruce.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2014, 07:09:39 PM »

Ask Mike if he's aware of how badly some fans would LOVE to hear All I Wanna Do performed live.

This. Tell him it's one of his best and most overlooked vocals that many fans love.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2014, 07:13:30 PM »

ask him 'how is your relationship between you and Brian n Al and Jeff and David at the moment??? and what is happening in the future

between you guys?....  Shocked  Tongue   Grin   LOL  Shocked

RickB
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 07:14:29 PM by Rick Bartlett » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2014, 07:40:13 PM »

Ask Mike about his thoughts on the Sunflower album

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2014, 08:01:13 PM »

Ask mike to take his hat off
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2014, 08:22:15 PM »

Tell Mike you understand his needs to work with Brian and, on behalf of BB fans everywhere, tell him we wait in joyful hope of another album and reunion shows...

Related topic: also note, by the way, that this means all the BB are rocking in CA tomorrow in three different bands.........please get back together.....the whole is greater than the sum of its parts, said Mike.

ask him 'how is your relationship between you and Brian n Al and Jeff and David at the moment??? and what is happening in the future

between you guys?....  Shocked  Tongue   Grin   LOL  Shocked

RickB
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 08:24:24 PM by the professor » Logged
zachrwolfe
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2014, 09:15:17 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:01:35 PM by zatch » Logged
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2014, 09:19:07 PM »

i'd go out and buy the today lp. he loves signing that one.

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2014, 09:47:07 PM »

Sunflower is the best choice, but from what you have I'd take Summer Days.  The one I'd pick if it were me.  It's my favorite pre-Pet Sounds record.  And right, it should be an original if you're asking to have it signed.
Have fun Bubbly, sounds like an exciting night.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2014, 12:08:05 AM »

I'd ask both of em what they think of the Smiley board, and why they don't post here.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 01:43:09 AM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2014, 01:02:05 AM »

LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2014, 01:32:09 AM »

I'd ask both off em what they think of the Smiley board, and why they don't post here.
This! Plus ask details considering "Summer of Love". I've always been a fan of that cut.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2014, 01:50:57 AM »

I'm kinda serious. If the few pricks could keep their abuse to the minimum or even be ignored, there's no better qualified forum on which to engage the die-hard, hardcore, utterly committed fans. Some people here are very well qualified to discourse with the core band members and a lot of wrongs could be righted, matters put straight and information shared where it would be genuinely appreciated.

Plus, I've heard that "people who matter" monitor this board, and sometimes take note of what's said here. Could bring results. Wink Wink

“We live in divisive times.”
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2014, 03:07:29 AM »

Sorry for the contentious title, but I didn't want to cause any confusion over who I was actually going to be meeting.

So, through a friend of mine who very much wants me to go, I have a meet & greet pass and tickets to the Beach Boys show tomorrow in Long Beach, CA. So, thanks to her, I'll be meeting Mike and Bruce and Jeff and everyone, and I figured this would be a good time to get some questions answers. However, realizing that I don't have any questions, you guys feel free to list your own, as many as you want. I'll pick a couple and ask them tomorrow.

• Pet Sounds [orig mono, sealed]
  • Pet Sounds [2008 "ltd."]
  • "Good Vibrations" 45 [orig]
  • Sunflower [2009]
  • Surf's Up [orig]
  • Holland [orig + 45]
  • 15 Big Ones [orig]
  • Love You [orig, sealed]
  • L.A. (Light Album) [sealed]

SO COOL! Have fun. Smiley
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2014, 08:33:31 AM »

Get them to sign Summer Days... They'll dig it the most! I'm cereal.

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx