gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680876 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 06:19:26 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian and Al show in CA this Saturday - Special Ticket Offer  (Read 18410 times)
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2014, 09:54:07 AM »

Thanks Jon! Smiley  Great to hear.

Found these, from almost exactly a year ago:

« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 09:55:06 AM by Lowbacca » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2014, 10:02:01 AM »

No real surprises here......except for "Girl Don't Tell Me" and the "Pet Sounds" instrumental:

1. California Girls 
2. Dance, Dance, Dance 
3. Catch a Wave 
4. Hawaii 
5. Shut Down 
6. Little Deuce Coupe 
7. Girl Don't Tell Me 
8. Cotton Fields 
9. In My Room 
10. Surfer Girl 
11. Please Let Me Wonder 
12. Then He Kissed Her 
13. Heroes and Villains 
14. Darlin' 
15. Do You Wanna Dance? 
16. Don't Worry Baby 
17. Do It Again 
18. Marcella 
19. Sail On, Sailor 
20. Pet Sounds 
21. Wouldn't It Be Nice 
22. Sloop John B 
23. God Only Knows 
24. Good Vibrations 

Encore:

25. All Summer Long 
26. Help Me, Rhonda 
27. I Get Around 
28. Barbara Ann 
29. Surfin' U.S.A. 
30. Fun, Fun, Fun 

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2014, 10:11:40 AM »

A couple of the recent Al interviews had him describing the music they'd be playing by eras, and I swear at least two had him mentioning the '80s. I assumed that probably just meant they'd bring Love & Mercy back, but held a little hope (or curiosity anyway) that it'd be something different. Instead, it seems like at least for now the '80s (or '90s, or '00s, or '10s) aren't represented at all. I wonder if that was just Al confused about what happened when, or if they're still working up different material for future shows.

Glad to hear the new Brian/Ike was a nice addition. From those who might know, any sense as to whether he's the new "permanent" falsettoist (falsettist? falsie?), whether it's going to go back to Matt (or the guy from the last show, whose name I've unfortunately forgotten), or whether it'll be more a rotating gig for the time being?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2014, 10:51:57 AM »

A couple of the recent Al interviews had him describing the music they'd be playing by eras, and I swear at least two had him mentioning the '80s. I assumed that probably just meant they'd bring Love & Mercy back, but held a little hope (or curiosity anyway) that it'd be something different. Instead, it seems like at least for now the '80s (or '90s, or '00s, or '10s) aren't represented at all. I wonder if that was just Al confused about what happened when, or if they're still working up different material for future shows.

Al Jardine said, "We're going to cover three different eras I think: the early stuff; the middle era, the 1970s, which is turning out to be my favorite era; and the 1980s material."

I wonder if Brian changed his mind again, that silly guy...
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2014, 10:56:41 AM »

And here I thought he'd be out front dancing to "Nighttime."

"I dance pretty good."

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2014, 10:58:56 AM »

Given that the blurb from the venue stated that Brian would be performing songs from his latest and upcoming albums, anyone considering action because he didn't ?  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2014, 10:59:59 AM »

I had the paperwork drawn up in advance. I just need to file it tomorrow when offices open up.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2014, 11:05:13 AM »

Given that the blurb from the venue stated that Brian would be performing songs from his latest and upcoming albums, anyone considering action because he didn't ?  Grin

Well, now technically, a lot of those above ^ songs could be on the new Love And Mercy soundtrack album, and, maybe Brian and Al (at Al's suggestion) re-recorded "Sloop John B" for No Pier Pressure as part of the Sloop John B/Sail Away/On An Island suite.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2014, 11:14:45 AM »

I just got back from the show and I was highly entertained. Brian Wilson is carrying a much bigger load, more leads, more emcee style chatter, he was very animated and seemed to be having fun. The performance was a little looser than Im used to with Brian's band, maybe under-rehearsed, not as polished as usual, but really energetic, and the places they nailed it really blew the audience away. Heroes and Villains was stunning. The new Brian did great. His lead on Don't Worry Baby was admirable. Overall the vocals were not as seamless as when Jeff is filling in and around Brian, but that just made the show more interesting because BW's safety net was not really there, and he survived and even thrived in his own way. I was fascinated by the experience. Al was very up front singing lead on quite a few tunes like Hawaii, which surprised me, Little Deuce Coupe and the usual Al leads as well. There was one point where they were ready to start Sloop John B, and it seems like Brian and Al weren't sure which guy was going to start the vocals...they were kind of pointing back and forth at each other like "you take it...no you take it' and it really cracked Al up, he was laughing so hard, nearly losing it...and Brian took it. Not any rarities in the set, but was surprised that All Summer Long led off the encore mini-set. The audience was so happy throughout the show, with tons of people dancing and pushing up towards the stage. Just great positive energy flowing back and forth between band and audience, and Brian was really in the mix, both vocally and socially. Overall a somewhat raw, loose, but VERY fun show...with great contributions from all of the BW band, and standout moments from Brian and Al.

Major thanks to Darian, Nelson and Vina Robles maestro John Mackey for taking care of my family tonight. Darian and Nelson arranged a cool get together for me with Brian before the show that I'll never forget. And hearing Dave and the Marksmen I Wanna Cry blasting on the house system just prior to BW taking the stage was another special touch that I know was Darian inspired. My 13 year old daughter just came up to me while I'm writing this, and with a giant smile she said "I loved Brian's show dad, it was so much fun!" I guess that says it all.

Thanks for an awesome report, Jon! Sounds like you had a terrific concert experience, musically and personally.

Now get these guys to the East Coast! I can't afford to travel West to see these shows.  Grin

I'm looking forward to hearing Brian Eichenberger's contributions and how he fit in with the band, after hearing him with the Four Freshmen I was *very* impressed with the musicianship and the quality of his (and their) voices on those difficult charts.

Did he do "Surfer Girl" with the band last night? I heard the Freshmen do that song and it was pretty damn good! Wondering how it sounded with Al and Brian in the blend, if they did it.
Yes, they did Surfer Girl, the vocal mix was a little weird for me on that one, but Brian W sounded great on the middle section. This having two Brian's in the band is a little strange because I find myself having to identify which one I'm writing about! I actually met Brian E before the show. I was right in the middle of asking Brian Wilson, kind of teasingly, "so...how is this new guy sounding Brian?"...when from behind me Brian E enters the room saying, "Hey are you guys talking about me?" He introduced himself as Brian, but then said to avoid confusion we can call him "Ike". He seemed to fit in great, handling the highest parts, no problem, but not doing any of the fill-in type of work that Jeff would do to mask Brian's drop outs. This, as i said in my previous post, gave Brian a more active role vocally, more responsibility, and despite his inconsistencies he did great. Ike looks great, handsome dude, the girls in the crowd seemed to notice...and he played acoustic guitar on quite a few songs too. They mentioned a couple of times that this was his first gig with the band. It's definitely a different band, with both BW and Al so prevalent in the vocal mix, and a different texture on top with Ike. The sound (live mix) was a bit inconsistent, it was a brisk night in Paso...but during the few accapella moments, like the closing harmony of H&V's, they also did a little acapella on Darlin, and I know several others where they drop out the instruments to showcase the harmony, the vocal blend was outstanding. I heard random people in the audience just gasping at the complexity of the vocal sound during those acapella moments. I think with some dedicated rehearsal this could be a new beginning. We'll just have to wait and see.

This will definitely be interesting, definitely a "wait and see" situation!

What adds to the whole scenario even more is that Brian E...I guess "Ike" would be best to avoid confusions in a multi-Brian discussion!...  "Ike" is the musical director *and* arranger for the Four Freshmen, who are the authorized/authentic traveling version of that group. Besides vocals and arranging, he plays guitar *and* bass.

Anyone ever tried to play the guitar parts or the changes to most of those Freshmen songs and arrangements? "Louie Louie" it ain't...

So factor in that the Freshmen are tops on Brian's list of favorites and influences, a group that he has seen and met in person in recent years with "Ike" performing, and it brings in another dynamic.

I'd like to see some of Brian's favorite Freshmen songs added to the list, if and when it works out and if that would be considered for the show. Consider you have Ike to handle falsetto, Brian who knows every damn part in the vocal stack, Al who has been harmonizing on this stuff for 50+ years, and number of Brian's band who can fill in the fourth or even a fifth voice...it could be cool, if that's a direction they'd consider for even a few songs. And there is Ike with the Freshmen "book" in his arsenal, not to mention being an arranger himself.

I wonder, though - The Freshmen are a working and gigging band, and how would Ike joining Brian for more than a few shows affect the Freshmen's schedule and structure?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2014, 11:16:14 AM »

Wonder why Brian dropped "Love & Mercy" from his set at the end. He sent people off into the moonlight with that one. It use to nicely cap off a wonderful evening of Brian's solo material. Or even "Lay Down Burden" or "Forever" as tributes to his brothers.

And "California Saga" would have been perfect for this venue and they didn't even do it. More greatest hits anyone? Glad to see I didn't miss much.....

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2014, 11:23:55 AM »

I have to imagine that when Brian's new album comes out and a national tour probably happens that the setlist will get more varied. It also sounds as if the band really hasn't rehearsed much in a while which explains the mostly greatest hits format.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2014, 11:57:55 AM »

Well, now technically, a lot of those above ^ songs could be on the new Love And Mercy soundtrack album, and, maybe Brian and Al (at Al's suggestion) re-recorded "Sloop John B" for No Pier Pressure as part of the Sloop John B/Sail Away/On An Island suite.

Still nothing from In The Key Of Disney though...

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2014, 11:58:28 AM »

Maybe the silences between tracks count.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2014, 11:58:55 AM »

I would sue M&B just to prevent them from playing Pisces Brothers since its a horrible ML solo track.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2014, 12:01:22 PM »

I would sue M&B just to prevent them from playing Pisces Brothers since its a horrible ML solo track.

At least in that song he isn't singing about living in a palace, drinking from a chalice.

Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2014, 12:05:18 PM »

An album full of covers = no real album.

Does the audience want to hear ITKOD songs? Most likely not. Therefore no ITKOD songs are played live. Simple capitalism.

Do Brian Wilson fans wanna hear his new songs (possibly with the guest stars themselves)? Most likely. Therefore some of Brian's new songs will be played live WHEN Brian is ready to play them live. Simple capitalism.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 12:09:55 PM by David von Wrinkles » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2014, 12:09:16 PM »

Does the audience want to hear ITKOD songs? Most likely not. Therefore no ITKOD songs are played live. Simple capitalism.

Do Brian Wilson fans wanna hear his new songs (possibly with the guest stars themselves)? Most likely. Therefore some of Brian's new songs will be played live WHEN Brian is ready to play them live. Simple capitalism.
I'd pay good money (which I don't have) to see Brian & band play "Bare Necessities" live. Smokin  And "Kiss The Girl".
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 12:13:02 PM by Lowbacca » Logged
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2014, 12:32:39 PM »

Brian's Bear Necessities is so damn good...

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2014, 12:37:56 PM »

Got to agree. The idea that a covers album is "no real album" is absurd to me. Not everyone writes, and even those artists who do write should still be freed to perform other people's music. Interpretation, arrangement, and performance are every bit as important--not to mention enjoyable and exciting!--as composition.

southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2014, 12:51:32 PM »

Who sang lead on Girl Don't Tell Me?

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2014, 01:07:37 PM »

Did the audience even know Brian has a new album coming out ? Highly unlikely. And if you're going to be picky, BWPS is a covers album. Covers of Beach Boys songs.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2014, 01:19:04 PM »

Brian Wilson is the BBs.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2014, 01:19:58 PM »

Who sang lead on Girl Don't Tell Me?
Brian usually does.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2014, 01:23:56 PM »

Did the audience even know Brian has a new album coming out ? Highly unlikely. And if you're going to be picky, BWPS is a covers album. Covers of Beach Boys songs.
To me, any SMiLE material has always been Brian's baby. He is what you might call the 'auteur' (ignoring VDP for argument's sake). Brian didn't get to finish SMiLE with his 'messengers' (to quote Dennis) the Beach Boys back in the day, but did it much later with another ensemble of musicians. I'd never consider 2004's BWPS as a 'covers album' in any sense of the word.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 01:26:00 PM by Lowbacca » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2014, 01:26:01 PM »

Brian Wilson is the BBs.

Oh, come on. You know better than that.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx