-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:43:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Carnival Of Sound
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  If you could travel anywhere overseas which places would you go?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: If you could travel anywhere overseas which places would you go?  (Read 12593 times)
MaryUSA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 18, 2014, 09:12:38 PM »

Hi all,

If any of us had the chance to travel anywhere overseas would we all go?

I would go to:

England
France
Italy
China
Germany
Russia
Australia
Japan
Scotland
Sweden
Switzerland
Ireland
Spain

Happy Traveling!!!

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 09:21:59 PM »

Only USA, preferably California. Sorry, other states can't just compete with this one. It's a fact that it's the best one out there. Full stop.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 09:49:57 PM »

Probably Europe... and possibly North America
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 09:52:20 PM »

Hey, Rei, didn't hear you long time! How are you? I'm fine, thanks. Where exactly in North America would you like to jet off?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 12:48:30 AM »

Hey, Rei, didn't hear you long time! How are you? I'm fine, thanks. Where exactly in North America would you like to jet off?

Not too bad, though incredibly busy. I wouldn't mind checking out Canada, as well as different parts of the United States (Including California)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 10:37:10 PM »

I wouldn't mind checking out Canada
I thought as much. Everytime when asked about North America, people vote Canada as the place to go. Wonder what attracts them about the country more than USA or Mexico.

Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 07:31:54 AM »

Always wanted to travel in Europe. Hopefully someday.

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 07:35:05 AM »

Only USA, preferably California. Sorry, other states can't just compete with this one. It's a fact that it's the best one out there. Full stop.

That's too bad, because you'd be missing a lot of good stuff. California's great but you'd miss jazz music and Cajun cooking in LA, hiking the Appalachian trail, autumn and maple sugar in New England, the Grand Canyon, Broadway, the Everglades, the majesty of thoroughbred horses and Mammoth Cave in the Bluegrass Sate, and the island paradise of the Florida Keys and Hawaii, among other things.

Personally, I'd like to visit Ireland and England because my ancestry goes back to those lovely places.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 07:46:55 AM by Cyncie » Logged
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 07:40:28 AM »

#1 - Dubai
#2 - Hong Kong (though I am going back for the holidays)
#3 - London

Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 08:00:14 AM »

Sweden.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 12:12:51 AM »

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnndddddddddddddddd... exactly how many other states of the union have you been to ? Anywhere in New England in the fall takes some beating... Arizona has something called the Grand Canyon... Colorado has a few nice hills, I'm told... the Chesapeake Bay area is pretty damn fine...

Me, I'd like to go see...

1 - Timbuktu
2 - New Zealand
3 - The South Pacific
4 - The Amazon

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 10:15:02 AM »

That's too bad, because you'd be missing a lot of good stuff. California's great but you'd miss jazz music and Cajun cooking in LA, hiking the Appalachian trail, autumn and maple sugar in New England, the Grand Canyon, Broadway, the Everglades, the majesty of thoroughbred horses and Mammoth Cave in the Bluegrass Sate, and the island paradise of the Florida Keys and Hawaii, among other things.

Exactly. If one wants to buy into a boring myth and present an uninformed opinion as if it were fact, that's fine, but hopefully wiser audiences realize the world is full of great places. In this country, those quoted above should be included, as well as the Great Lakes, the boundary waters, the Black Hills, the Pacific Northwest, the Mississippi River, to say nothing of great cities (and for that matter, small cities and towns). This is where I'd say "period" or "full stop" or "[/discussion]" or whatever tedious cliche is of the moment if I were a child pretending to be authoritative on an opinion.

It's a big country and a bigger world.

To answer the original question, I've barely been outside the continental U.S.: just Iceland (for stopovers), Scotland, and England. So I'd love to go damn near everywhere else, with particular emphasis on all of continental Europe and (in safer times) the Middle East because of my particular historical interests. Pocketbook willing, I'll get everywhere someday.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 02:05:16 PM »

I'd love to go to England, and Rome.

I live in Michigan, and when I tell people that they usually say 'I'm sorry!', because they associate Detroit with the entire state. The state has seen better days for sure, but I know spots in the northern part of the Lower Peninsula that rival 9 out of 10 places. Beaches and forests that would knock your socks off. There's plenty of decay in areas, but there are also places that are incredibly beautiful.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 09:14:03 PM »

Correction: When I said California is the best state of America, that wasn't an uninformed opinion; I read a lot of articles, you know. I just happened to agree with them, is all. No need to get worked up about a mere statement hinting at my lack of intelligence ("wiser audiences"? "child"? what is that?). I may have said lots of dumb things on here, but that doesn't allow you to downplay my contributions & even generalize me as a kiddie brain. I'm well aware there are many good places & I like some other states, like Louisiana/New Orleans for reason Cyncie mentioned; Oklahoma, Texas, NY, of course. If I say that sth. is best, doesn't mean I can't enjoy seeing other places. Remember, I started my post with "USA".
You're a sound poster, Luther, but on this case, I don't get your attitude.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2014, 02:12:06 AM »

"Only USA, preferably California. Sorry, other states can't just compete with this one. It's a fact that it's the best one out there. Full stop."

Not only uninformed - I've read a lot about the US too, but my opinions have the cachet of personal experience, having traveled to the US every year bar one 1985-2009 - but biased. It's not a "fact" that California is the #1 state, as you, er, state: it's your lop-sided opinion. Here's an example of a fact - "Good Vibrations" was The Beach Boys third US #1 single.

And, ummm, have you read any articles that say "California sucks", and do you agree with those too ? Yes, you have said lots of dumb things here (we all have) but this is one of the top five dumbest. Of course, that's only my opinion, not a "fact".

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2014, 02:34:45 AM »

I live in Michigan, and when I tell people that they usually say 'I'm sorry!', because they associate Detroit with the entire state. The state has seen better days for sure, but I know spots in the northern part of the Lower Peninsula that rival 9 out of 10 places. Beaches and forests that would knock your socks off. There's plenty of decay in areas, but there are also places that are incredibly beautiful.
I'm also from Michigan, and I can attest to this.  The whole region around Grand Traverse Bay, as well as the Lake Michigan side by Leland and Glen Arbor, is really beautiful.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2014, 05:47:34 AM »

I'm also from Michigan, and I can attest to this.  The whole region around Grand Traverse Bay, as well as the Lake Michigan side by Leland and Glen Arbor, is really beautiful.

When we were in the States in June this year, it was great to end our trip in San Francisco again. We had a blast that last week. But I won't forget our first week in Michigan either (and for that matter the whole trip from Gr.Rapids to S.Fr, through Colorado). We had a fantastic time there. Even our day trip to (of all places) Detroit was worth it.

O, and the Corner Record Shop in Grandville is one heck of a record shop !!

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2014, 07:39:43 AM »

Not exactly overseas, since I live in the US, but I would count as a life-long dream come true if I could go to Prince Edward Island.
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2014, 11:01:49 AM »

Good Lord, man (or woman)! I've been going up to the Leland/Glen Arbor/Northport/TC area my whole life!
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2014, 03:11:40 PM »

Hi all,

If any of us had the chance to travel anywhere overseas would we all go?

I would go to:

England
France
Italy
China
Germany
Russia
Australia
Japan
Scotland
Sweden
Switzerland
Ireland
Spain

Happy Traveling!!!

I’d go to either the Isle of Man (off Great Britain) or Spitsbergen, north of Norway, or perhaps even the Maldives.
I like islands.

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2014, 07:05:44 PM »

I'd love to go to England, and Rome.

My goal is to see everything in Michigan I can possibly see. It's got everything anyone could want. Incredible lakes, beaches, dunes, hills, flatlands, parks galore, Traverse City, Plymouth, Northville, Alpena, Dearborn with the extravagant Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village, White Castle Hamburgers, and exceptionally friendly people. Detroit has problems for sure, but the downtown area is like any other big city (just don't wander out of it too far). If you're into the car culture, go to the annual Woodward Avenue Festival.  
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 07:14:54 PM by The LEGENDARY OSD » Logged

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2015, 04:11:27 AM »

Yes, you have said lots of dumb things here (we all have) but this is one of the top five dumbest. Of course, that's only my opinion, not a "fact".
Didn't know you keep stats for dumbest things too. Anyway, I admit that I'm biased, but this is one of those cases when my "biased" coincides with the fact. There is a good reason why even folks who hate America still name one of the California cities/places as one of their favorite travel spots. F.ex., well-known Russian fashion historian (see, he is historian like you, just in other field) Alexander Vasiliev who's lived in France for 20+ yrs. And don't get me started on the list of songs dedicated to California & not only from native musicians. It's the most popular state, which also for a reason. Think about it.

Sure, every state has its charms & beauties & huge impact & stuff, I like a few myself. Still, California is #1.

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2015, 08:42:56 PM »

What... no one want to go to Iran?  Russia?  Afghanistan?  Syria?  Iraq?

LOL

How 'bout Yemen?  Libya?  Sh-t... Egypt?

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2015, 07:24:09 AM »

Yes, you have said lots of dumb things here (we all have) but this is one of the top five dumbest. Of course, that's only my opinion, not a "fact".
Didn't know you keep stats for dumbest things too. Anyway, I admit that I'm biased, but this is one of those cases when my "biased" coincides with the fact. There is a good reason why even folks who hate America still name one of the California cities/places as one of their favorite travel spots. F.ex., well-known Russian fashion historian (see, he is historian like you, just in other field) Alexander Vasiliev who's lived in France for 20+ yrs. And don't get me started on the list of songs dedicated to California & not only from native musicians. It's the most popular state, which also for a reason. Think about it.

Sure, every state has its charms & beauties & huge impact & stuff, I like a few myself. Still, California is #1.
RangeRoverA1 - don't worry about the well-meaning critics! I suspect Andrew's bark is worse than his bite.  Wink

If you dream of visiting The Golden State and want to travel east, then read and learn all you can and make a list of all the places that inspire you.  I've only been once, but saw San Diego, Anaheim (for Disney of course with my then two year old) and San Francisco and Carmel, driving around...

One day, you just may get there... Brian, Dennis, & Carl
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2015, 04:48:10 PM »

RangeRoverA1 - don't worry about the well-meaning critics! I suspect Andrew's bark is worse than his bite.  Wink

If you dream of visiting The Golden State and want to travel east, then read and learn all you can and make a list of all the places that inspire you.  I've only been once, but saw San Diego, Anaheim (for Disney of course with my then two year old) and San Francisco and Carmel, driving around...

One day, you just may get there... Brian, Dennis, & Carl

Maybe just get a boat to sail and take off headed there on your own

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: