gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:33:14 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Breaking down "In Concert"  (Read 22898 times)
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 30, 2014, 05:16:36 PM »

Now with a Google Doc breaking down the album for anyone to contribute to!

The Beach Boys In Concert is my favorite Beach Boys album, and after listening to it for so long, I've become curious as to who exactly plays what on it. I've seen the liner notes and wikipedia pages detailing who played what, but none of them offer specifics on tracks, which is frustrating, because many of the ten instrumentalists played multiple instruments.

While going track by track trying to pick out who plays what, I've come to a couple of hurdles that have been bugging me-

1. Carl Wilson: Lead guitar, mostly, but he's also listed for electric piano. I know he's definitely doing the piano part on "Sail on Sailor", but is there anything else besides that? Maybe "The Trader"?

2. Blondie: What songs did he play Bass on? The liner notes list him only as a guitarist, but the wikipedia page lists both, and that has to be right, because I know he played Bass on "Wild Honey" as per the Hyde Park video, so he'd have to play more live bass than that. I'm thinking he took over Bass on some of the songs Bruce used to play Bass on that Ed Carter didn't.

3. Ed Carter: Speaking of that, what did Ed Carter play lead guitar on? Presumably when Blondie was on Bass, Ed played additional guitar parts (like how he did on Live at Knebworth when Joe Chemay was playing Bass), but I have no clue what those songs would be.

4. Dennis Wilson: Reading Jon and Ian's book, it sounds like Dennis was surplus to the group's sound at this point, leading me to believe he dropped in and out of the show depending on what he wanted to sing or play on. He has to be on "Sail on Sailor" and "California Girls" because he intros them, and I hear three keyboard parts on "Funky Pretty" and "Let the Wind Blow", so assuming Carl doesn't take on of those and Carli and Billy are the other two, then Dennis would have to play on those. He's also listed as the only one playing Moog Synthesizer, so any Moog parts would likely be his, so that could also include "You Still Believe in Me" and "Sloop John B".

5. Billy Hinsche: What would he be playing guitar on? I'm guessing "Sail on Sailor" because Carl is at his piano, and maybe some of the encore? No idea. Aside from that, he has to be playing most of the regular piano or electric piano parts.

6. Ricky Fataar: Ricky plays drums on most of the songs, but he plays pedal-steel on "Marcella" (but not "Sail on Sailor" to my ears - he must be drumming), rhythm guitar on "We Got Love", because that's his only lead on the album (I don't hear him doing his record part on "Funky Pretty" so he's drumming there too), and flute on "Caroline, No". He also does the flute intro on "Sloop John B", but there's no flute for the rest of the track, so he must've just played it while behind the kit before he started drumming - there's no drum part in the song for a few seconds.

7. Mike Kowalski: Were there two drum kits set up for the album? If there aren't, then he must be playing additional hand percussion for most of the album, except "We Got Love", "Marcella", and "Caroline, No". He also plays the glockenspiel part on "Wouldn't It Be Nice".

8. Robert Kenyatta: He's listed as playing woodwinds, but that's incorrect, because his website lists him as a percussionist (specifically congas) and they toured with several percussionists during this era, including a few conga players at various times. There's a lot of congas on the album, which should all be him. Aside from that, he likely just added whatever hand percussion was needed, including the sleigh bells on "Marcella", which would've been him as Mike Kowalski was drumming.

9. Carli Munoz: Plays the organ that nearly every song on the album has. He's also listed for electric piano, which could've been him on any of the tracks without organ, but there were three other people that could've played an electric piano part on any given song, so figuring out what he played that on is easier said than done.

10. Al Jardine: Rhythm guitar thoughout, unless there's something he left the stage for, so possibly "Caroline, No", which is the only song on the album without harmonies.

11. Mike Love: Tambourine on various songs, plus theremin on Good Vibrations. Given the fact that he was the frontman, he should've been onstage for every song providing harmony vocals.

Anyone with anything to add?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 12:22:19 AM by wantsomecorn » Logged

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 07:42:36 PM »

I just want to know who played that searing lead in the middle of Rhonda. Don't think it was Carl - rather Blondie or Steady Eddie.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Sangheon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 09:01:03 PM »

Carl wilson played an electric piano on The Trader.
Ed carter played a bass guiter mostly, not lead guiter. I think.
Ricky played a synthesiser on Leaving This Town.
Billy played an electric piano on Help Me Rhonda.
And Isn't Charles Llyod to play the flute on Caroline, No?
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 09:23:25 PM »

Carl: Judging by footage from the era, Carl most likely played keys on “The Trader.”

Blondie: If by the Hyde Park video you mean the Crystal Palace gig, Blondie played guitar on “Wild Honey” with Ed Carter on bass. There's footage of Blondie playing bass from this era, perhaps on “Leaving This Town.”
If the OGWT footage is any indication, Blondie may have played bass on “You Need A Mess...” which was part of the single disc version of “In Concert”.

Dennis: is featured standing and singing into the mic in the Endless Harmony clip of “Sail, On Sailor.”

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 09:24:43 PM »

Don't think so, as he isn't listed as one of the supporting musicians.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 10:20:04 PM »

Ed Carter primarily played bass, but could play lead and rhythm in a pinch. I think Blondie played lead guitar on Rhonda, but someone a long time ago on one of the boards said it was Ed. So still not sure. Carter and Hinsche and Chaplin would probably know right away if they'd heard it.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 11:54:06 PM »

That would be Ricky, or maybe Robert Kenyatta.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Sangheon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2014, 07:56:49 AM »

Ed Carter primarily played bass, but could play lead and rhythm in a pinch. I think Blondie played lead guitar on Rhonda, but someone a long time ago on one of the boards said it was Ed. So still not sure. Carter and Hinsche and Chaplin would probably know right away if they'd heard it.

Yes, you're right.I know Ed played lead guiter sometimes.
But, I don't know well whether he actually played lead guiter on In Concert album.
The bass line of almost tunes on this album is similer to Knebworth' one.
...to my ears.
Sangheon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2014, 07:57:51 AM »

That would be Ricky, or maybe Robert Kenyatta.

Thank you, AGD!
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2014, 08:07:05 AM »

This is the greatest message board.
No other band has this.
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2014, 08:10:56 AM »

Question about the gatefold for In Concert...
Who is the person with the 8 ball over his face standing next to Ricky Fataar? I thought maybe it was Ed Carter but I've never been sure. And why is his face covered up with an 8 ball in the first place? I've been wondering about this for years.

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2014, 08:35:24 AM »

Who is the person with the 8 ball over his face standing next to Ricky Fataar? I thought maybe it was Ed Carter but I've never been sure. And why is his face covered up with an 8 ball in the first place? I've been wondering about this for years.

That was Dennis, I think.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2014, 08:38:52 AM »

In another discussion this week Mikie said it was Ed Carter "behind the 8 ball".  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2014, 08:50:44 AM »

In another discussion this week Mikie said it was Ed Carter "behind the 8 ball".  Smiley

If you actually read the quoted thread ( http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,10869.msg204656.html#msg204656 ) you'll find that it's Carli Munoz behind the 8 ball
 ( but why would anyone want to do that)

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2014, 09:02:46 AM »

In another discussion this week Mikie said it was Ed Carter "behind the 8 ball".  Smiley

If you actually read the quoted thread ( http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,10869.msg204656.html#msg204656 ) you'll find that it's Carli Munoz behind the 8 ball

It was once rumored to be Jack Riley behind the 8 ball...they'd fired him by this point, so that would make sense. Except, bodywise, it looks nothing like Jack Riley.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2014, 09:05:34 AM »

This is one of my all time favorite albums and I've been trying to get to the bottom of these credits for a very long time.

The liner notes for the most recent CD seemed to indicate that "Darlin'" and "Marcella" were played "together" live, just as they're presented on the CD.  If that's the case, I would think Kowalski also played drums on "Darlin'", as well as the ones already listed in this thread, since Ricky wouldn't have enough time to switch intruments between songs.  That said, I have a hard time buying that, as "Darlin'" sounds much more like Ricky than Mike.

As for "Sloop John B", I guess the flute is only there for the very beginning, which (along with the playing style) makes it probable that it's Ricky drumming on that one.

Count me in as one who thinks thinks it's Steady Eddie playing the solo on "Rhonda".  That solo sounds completely different from either Carl or Blondie's style and Ed has a long history of shredding on that one in the concert setting.  

That leaves us with the question of who plays bass on that track.  My guess is Blondie since he played (at least slightly) more bass than Carl did at concerts, although there is that cryptic quote from the Priess book, regarding the albums great basslines from "Ed Carter and Carl".   Huh

I know Ricky played Moog (including the solo) on the studio version of "Leaving This Town" but the solo on In Concert is well documented as being played on the organ by Carli so I don't know about the Moog.  Is there Moog on the live version?  The playing style of the drums could go either way so I'm not sure who's back there but the stuff behind the solo does sound a little more like Ricky.  I also don't hear Ricky doing his part in the "vocal round" near the end of the song (although I could be mistaken), which also seems to point to him being behind the drums, without a vocal mic.

Can someone PLEASE breakdown the arrangement (and who's singing which part) for "Surfer Girl"??!?  We had a great discussion about the arrangement of the song (including the various differences in its concert setting arrangement over the years) in the vocal arrangemnts thread a while back.  I'm curious to know how it was braken down here.  Is Billy part of it?  Blondie?  Is Dennis singing his original part from the studio recording?? Someone please enlighten me on this.

Finally (for now), can anyone point out some audible (singing) vocals from Dennis on the album?!  I KNOW he's there but I can't seem to pick out any prominent parts or solo lines ANYWHERE.   Huh

Thanks for any info and discussion and thanks to wantsomecorn for starting this thread
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2014, 09:12:55 AM »

It was once rumored to be Jack Riley behind the 8 ball...they'd fired him by this point, so that would make sense. Except, bodywise, it looks nothing like Jack Riley.

Take it up with Mikie, unless I'm reading it wrong this is what was posted a few days ago:

You know, Nick, if you look at the inner sleeve of the "In Concert" album from '73, Ed Carter was behind the 8 ball. Literally!

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2014, 09:18:23 AM »

OK...

Carl plays electric piano on the "In Concert" versions of SAIL ON SAILOR, THE TRADER, and I suspect WE GOT LOVE, LEAVING THIS TOWN and LET THE WIND BLOW. Dennis played electric piano on HEROES AND VILLAINS, clavinet on THE TRADER, and Moog on YOU STILL BELEIVE IN ME, SLOOP JOHN B., and LET THE WIND BLOW.

The tunes I'm sure of Blondie playing bass on here are HEROES AND VILLAINS, YOU STILL BELIEVE IN ME, and CAROLINE, NO. Probably a couple of others, as well.

Despite Robert Kenyatta often being credited in connection with this album as a woodwind player, he is in fact a percussionist. The flute on CAROLINE, NO and the intro to SLOOP is played here by Ricky Fataar. Ricky played pedal steel guitar on MARCELLA (and also CALIFORNIA SAGA, which isn't on this live album). Ricky also played rhythm guitar on WE GOT LOVE (after Blondie left, Ricky switched to pedal steel for that number, and took on the guitar solo with it). While Ricky played the Moog solo on the studio version of LEAVING THIS TOWN, the live arrangement features a lengthy, amazing Hammond B-3 organ solo from Carli Munoz.

In a conversation with Mike Kowalski last summer, he advised me that he played Moog on SAIL ON SAILOR and lead guitar on LET THE WIND BLOW for this album. For the latter part, he said he borrowed Al's white Strat; he made it clear that he played a "supporting" lead guitar role on this song, while Blondie (or "Blondes" as he effectionately called him) played the main solo part. I had read a review or two from the early '70s describing him playing bass on one song...when I asked, he immediately, and proudly, responded with COOL, COOL WATER (which of course isn't on this live album, but I thought I'd mention that anyway).

The album credits only reflect the shows recorded in late summer of '73...some of the recordings come from the winter '72 tour, including the ones with vibes (DON'T WORRY BABY, WOULDN'T IT BE NICE), which I suspect were played by Daryl Dragon.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2014, 09:24:03 AM »

Great post!  (although I suspected no less from you Smiley )

That still leaves a lot of the questions unanswered tho.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2014, 09:38:28 AM »

Take it up with Mikie, unless I'm reading it wrong this is what was posted a few days ago:

You know, Nick, if you look at the inner sleeve of the "In Concert" album from '73, Ed Carter was behind the 8 ball. Literally!

Why worry about Mikie?  I'm taking it from Ed Roach, who I expect know: 

Sorry, but it's the legendary Carli Munoz behind the proverbial 8-ball.
(And was he ever steamed about that being his 'best' shot on the gatefold...)

That's Munoz?   With his big black 'fro hidden behind the 8-ball?  Well, now we know.....

That wasn't you who took those pictures, was it Ed?

Nope - they were taken by another Ed - Ed Caraeff.  Don't get me started...  Dennis & I had worked for months & months, actually more than a year, on my shooting, and us assembling, a massive collage for the cover, (the original of which I understand has turned up in the hands of a former associate of mine...), only to have them choose that shot of Dennis alone on the cover!  So, same as was the case with Pacific Ocean Blue, I got all hissy & took back all my work.  Guess I sometimes should have bit my tongue, & played the game, but hey - I'm a Brooklyn Irishman, and we sometimes are a little too hasty...

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2014, 10:06:23 AM »

What was posted just a few days ago was more fresh in my mind than 2011's posts!  Smiley  I wasn't thinking of that discussion and I didn't remember it at all, so thank you for the clarification.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2014, 10:34:39 AM »

Yeah, I was wrong on that. I'd forgotten Ed said it was Carli Munoz a couple of years ago. Sorry for spreading erroneous information.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 10:41:33 AM by Mikie » Logged

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2014, 01:22:44 PM »

Dennis can also be heard dedicating "Surfin' USA" to "all the surfers here tonight" and he sings Mike's part at the end of "Good vibrations". Also you can hear him in the harmonies on some songs.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2014, 02:47:50 PM »

You know the CD version of "In Concert" includes an additional snippet/fragment from the original audio tape(s) that weren't on the original vinyl version. There's not much, but it sure would be interesting to hear more of that.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2014, 02:56:16 PM »

You know the CD version of "In Concert" includes an additional snippet/fragment from the original audio tape(s) that weren't on the original vinyl version. There's not much, but it sure would be interesting to hear more of that.
Only the Capitol CD, the Epic/Caribou CD is just like the LP. Also, I never understood why the intro to WIBN was truncated on the original LP?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.