gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 01:08:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 [77] 78 79 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love and Mercy - News and Reviews - First clip is out.  (Read 510177 times)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1900 on: September 10, 2015, 04:20:48 PM »

This is the back and the disc of the one I got today

Do you have to have a blu-ray player to watch something that's blu-ray and digital HD?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: September 10, 2015, 05:26:50 PM »

Thanks, Bgas!

Love that they incorporated the poster art onto the disc at least. You do need a blu-ray player to play the disc, however, you'll be able to download the UV digital version from the internet. The directions should be on a piece of paper inside the case.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: September 10, 2015, 05:37:52 PM »

I need to buy this! Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: September 10, 2015, 05:51:18 PM »

Thanks, Bgas!

Love that they incorporated the poster art onto the disc at least. You do need a blu-ray player to play the disc, however, you'll be able to download the UV digital version from the internet. The directions should be on a piece of paper inside the case.

It was already open when I bought it, so perhaps the seller ( ebay) removed the paper, as it's not here.  No biggie.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: September 10, 2015, 05:56:21 PM »

It will look great on blue-Ray! Maybe have Mikie over for a screening?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1905 on: September 10, 2015, 06:05:01 PM »

Whats the deal with the gap in the packaging to the right of 60s Brian sitting on the steps? Is that where the instructions should be?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 06:06:07 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: September 10, 2015, 06:07:19 PM »

that space on the disc has the "proof of purchase" and the bar code

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: September 10, 2015, 06:29:32 PM »

Ok thanks. Not seen on DVDs my neck of the woods.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: September 10, 2015, 06:35:28 PM »

Thanks for posting the slipcase art, bgas.

Looking forward to Tuesday, myself.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1909 on: September 10, 2015, 09:00:34 PM »

Ok thanks. Not seen on DVDs my neck of the woods.

Most DVDs and blu-rays with slip cases have a cut out for the bar code like that. All part of what makes the slip case fascinatingly redundant. LOL

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1910 on: September 10, 2015, 09:04:35 PM »

Thanks, Bgas!

It was already open when I bought it, so perhaps the seller ( ebay) removed the paper, as it's not here.  No biggie.

Yep. Many forums online where folks sell the UV code for five or so bucks. EBay bans the sale of the codes; it's a weird grey area. Studios contend you don't own the code when you get it with a disc copy. Yet, it's another redundant feature that many don't use, and many enjoy buying/selling/trading them.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 09:08:04 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1911 on: October 06, 2015, 06:10:24 AM »

Say...I used the search feature and got zero results, so please forgive me if this has been discussed before...

But near the end when Brian finds that his childhood home is now an empty lot thanks to the 105, where did they actually film that?? A Google Maps street view of 119th and Kornblum looks nothing like where they actually filmed it, even if you go a few blocks over.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: October 06, 2015, 09:23:42 AM »

Not sure if it's been mentioned before but the UK Blu-Ray release date appears to be Nov. 16th...

Source: http://www.dvd365.net/newsitem.php?i=011015b

Pet Sounds, SMiLE, Love You, Adult/Child
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: October 06, 2015, 12:49:38 PM »

Not sure if it's been mentioned before but the UK Blu-Ray release date appears to be Nov. 16th...

Source: http://www.dvd365.net/newsitem.php?i=011015b

I assume the same deleted scenes from the US version will be on the UK version... right?

Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: October 06, 2015, 01:34:26 PM »

[/quote]

I assume the same deleted scenes from the US version will be on the UK version... right?
[/quote]

I would assume the same, can't see the point in having different deleted scenes for different regions. More work for very little benefit....

sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: October 12, 2015, 04:45:33 PM »

« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 04:47:29 PM by JCM » Logged

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: October 12, 2015, 07:25:30 PM »

[/quote]

I would assume the same, can't see the point in having different deleted scenes for different regions. More work for very little benefit....
[/quote]

But if they wanted to make more $$, because they'd sell twice as many copies as fans would have to buy both versions

KDS
« Reply #1917 on: October 13, 2015, 06:24:17 AM »

Wow, look at Uncle Jesse chiming in.  As a huge BB fanboy, I would fully expect him to Have (Love and) Mercy. 
Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: October 13, 2015, 06:27:02 AM »

[/quote]

But if they wanted to make more $$, because they'd sell twice as many copies as fans would have to buy both versions
[/quote]

Maybe.......I'm not sure how many people would buy that or just get someone in that region to upload (sshhhhhhh)

Seaside Woman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: October 13, 2015, 08:35:51 AM »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3270484/Good-vibrations-Elizabeth-Banks-parties-Love-Mercy-character-Melinda-Wilson-bash-Beach-Boys-film-LA.html

Brian and Melinda sighting in the Daily Mail. Good promotion for the DVD release ...

Caretaker in an aesthetic prison of my own dimension.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1920 on: October 13, 2015, 11:44:01 AM »

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/brian-wilson-paul-dano-play-beach-boys-hits-at-love-mercy-dvd-launch-20151013

For a nervous moment, actor Paul Dano stood quietly onstage Monday night at a Los Angeles jazz club, gripping a microphone with both hands to sing a 1966 Beach Boys classic, "You Still Believe in Me." At the keyboard beside him was the man who co-authored it, Brian Wilson. On his other side stood Al Jardine, another original Beach Boy, who assured the crowd: "He's got a really good voice ...."

By the time Dano began the song's achingly vulnerable vocal melody, he was already being carried away by Wilson's rich layers of sound, both bright and melancholy. It was another glimpse into the life and music of Wilson, who performed a short, vibrant concert for a crowd of about 200 to celebrate the DVD release of this year's acclaimed movie of his life story, Love & Mercy. Also in the crowd were director Bill Pohlad and co-star Elizabeth Banks.

"Brian asked me to sing that song because he knows it's one of my favorites," Dano told Rolling Stone afterwards. He portrays Wilson as a young man at his Sixties peak in the film, as career pressures and mental illness begin to derail his life. "My favorite part was the ending, the communal 'ahhhs' and the feeling of communion up there. It's a really beautiful, intimate song."

With a 10-man band of veteran players crowded onto the small stage beside him, Wilson performed 35 minutes' worth of hits and deeply emotional songs from his Beach Boys and solo catalog. There were gorgeous laid-back falsetto harmonies on "Surfer Girl," dreamy vocals and harmonica on "In My Room," and roaring guitar riffs on "Dance, Dance, Dance."

As usual, Wilson was a man of few words, but clearly pleased and relaxed onstage at the Vibrato Grill, a hilltop jazz club owned by Herb Alpert, the hit-making Tijuana Brass trumpeter and co-founder of A&M Records. "It's good to be in Los Angeles, where we all live!" he declared to laughs, his blue dress-shirt sleeves rolled at the wrists, thick graying hair swept back. The music was performed with precision and warmth, recreating the essence of the original records.

For the opening of "Wouldn't It Be Nice," Matt Jardine (Al's son) sang the forceful vocal melodies until Wilson took the hopeful verse: "Maybe if we think and wish and hope and pray, it might come true/Baby, then there wouldn't be a single thing we couldn't do."

The pop epic "Good Vibrations" began with a false start, and Wilson stopping the band as soon as it began: "Hold it, hold it, hold it! Too fast!"

"A lot of the people who had something to do with the movie are here tonight," Wilson told Rolling Stone minutes before his performance. "I've seen it five times. I love it. I like Paul Dano's portrayal of me as a record producer."

Monday's concert and DVD release party was another chance for the cast, crew and subjects of Love & Mercy to reunite around a special project. Dano and John Cusack, who play Wilson at different stages of his life, developed a personal, protective relationship with the musician. And Banks has spent quality time at the Wilson home.

"I don't want it to end," said Pohlad. "To be able to live with Brian's music in your head for three or four years is not a bad gig. There was something about his spirit, too, that infused the whole thing. It was the nicest, warmest set that I've ever been on. A lot of it has to do with the spirit of the movie and Brian was a big part of it."

At he same time, Wilson has embraced life on the road. He begins an East Coast run with his band on October 20th in Charleston, South Carolina. "He's actually starting to love to tour," says wife Melinda Wilson. "He comes home and he goes, 'OK, book me up for next month!'"

For the night's set-closing "Love and Mercy," Wilson sang to his wife as she swayed up front, arm-in-arm with Banks, who portrays her in the film. He was accompanied on the song by a simple keyboard melody and light vibraphone taps. "He sang it directly to her," Banks said after. "He was eye-to-eye with his beautiful wife. It was awkward, almost. It's amazing how romantic it is. That's what they have."

Set List:

"Surfer Girl"
"In My Room"
"Dance, Dance, Dance"
"Wouldn't It Be Nice"
"God Only Knows"
"You Still Believe in Me"
"One Kind of Love"
"Good Vibrations"
"Surfin' USA"
"Fun, Fun, Fun"
"Love and Mercy"

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: October 14, 2015, 11:46:28 PM »

What a killer set! Beautiful and condensed, really well chosen… and no Bah-bah-bah-angst!

“We live in divisive times.”
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: October 15, 2015, 12:14:04 PM »

Woo hoo! Got my german release blu-ray disc. I love the features, but most of all I love the picture quality. Also when you remove the cover from the case, you can actually turn it around to have a neutral one without all the barcoades and FSK (age) ratings. For those of you who want to know, this is how the package looked when opened:

« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 12:17:01 PM by Mooger Fooger » Logged
Bittersweet-Sanity
Smiley Smile Associate

Busy Doin' Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: October 26, 2015, 12:52:54 AM »

http://thebluemoment.com/2015/07/29/love-mercy/

Review from July w/ comments by Russ Titelman and Sid Griffin in the comment section

"It looks like I'm going to have to go bananas all by myself." -B.W.

"Dr. Landy and Brian Wilson are right out of a storybook." -Brian Wilson

"So maybe Beach Boys fans are stupid and we can dismiss the whole thing. But maybe that's a pretty snotty attitude to take; maybe something is happening here that we just ought to know about" -Paul Williams

"Brian is an enigma, a leprechaun," said rhythm guitarist Al Jardine.

"There ain't a rocketship powerfull enough to be able to blast Jeff's fat ass into space."-Mike's Beard
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: October 26, 2015, 08:15:42 AM »

Woo hoo! Got my german release blu-ray disc. I love the features, but most of all I love the picture quality. Also when you remove the cover from the case, you can actually turn it around to have a neutral one without all the barcoades and FSK (age) ratings. For those of you who want to know, this is how the package looked when opened:

Thanks for posting. I'm curious to know how many/which deleted scenes are included?

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 [77] 78 79 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx