gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:30:47 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73 74 [75] 76 77 78 79 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love and Mercy - News and Reviews - First clip is out.  (Read 508190 times)
Sangheon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1850 on: August 21, 2015, 06:57:09 AM »

Thank you Dudd.
So, the a cappella version was made from the 4 track tape?
Sangheon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: August 21, 2015, 06:57:52 AM »

We do have in the archives partial vocals for "Good Vibrations," from a copy of an original 4 track master.  This 4 track (which now exists only in a vintage 8 track copy) only had some of the vocal parts, none of them doubled, and was apparently copied to a separate, now missing 8 track onto which Brian would have then added all of the rest of the vocal parts and layers heard in the final mix. 

Thank you Dudd.
So, the a cappella version was made from the 4 track tape?
Sangheon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: August 21, 2015, 07:00:40 AM »

Sorry, I posted it twice....
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: August 21, 2015, 08:49:59 AM »

Back to the discussion of Straight Outta Compton. There's an article in today's Washington Post that contrasts both films, at least briefly.

Article in today's Washington Post

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/act-four/wp/2015/08/20/how-straight-outta-compton-fails-its-audience/

“Love & Mercy” was animated by director Bill Pohlad and writers Oren Moverman and Michael Alan Lerner’s insight that even geniuses have to put in the work to make great art. Watching the sweat equity that Wilson put into “Pet Sounds” illuminated the tension between the Beach Boys themselves and between Wilson and his father (Bill Camp) in a way that none of the discussions about money in “Straight Outta Compton” really serve to do. And while suggesting in “Straight Outta Compton” that every track on the iconic album (and many that followed) arrived in the world fully formed may imply that Dre in particular is a genius, it also makes the whole process of making music seem a little boring.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: August 21, 2015, 01:53:28 PM »

I saw L&M last night, my 4th, at its final local showtime (today I checked and it's completely gone in these parts).  I wanted to take one of my other sons, it was 9:30 and still 5 others showed.  I'm surprised it endured 2-1/2 months about.

And I still heard a line--a bit of dialogue between Brian & Carl--I hadn't caught before, closing the scene where the touring BB's return from Japan and're greeted by Brian in the studio in preparation for (hearing) the new Pet Sounds L.P. tracks.  Carl had given his older brother a souvenier fan "it even matches your shirt" he adds, but finally Brian kids Carl by saying "but I'd wanted a samurai sword!"

Just a half minute earlier we see (what I believe is) the only Bruce Johnston appearance and exchange, where Brian says something like "Great job, Bruce" (shaking his hand as he walks past) to which Bruce replies "I could never fill your shoes".

One part I came to terms with, that I used to have a problem, was where Murry tells Brian the 'good news' - he's just sold Sea Of Tubes publishing for $750K.  This is also where Brian had just told him the rest of the band were going to salvage the SMiLE album cuts with or without his help and call it Smiley Smile, in order to give Capitol an album post haste.  Obviously the SOT sale came over 2 years later and I didn't like the convoluted collapse of events.  But now I believe that was deliberate by director Pohlad in that he wanted Brian to get the full effect of a 1-2 punch at that point in time, Brian being essentially taken down by those around him as producer and 'music leader' and this drives that critical point home.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: August 21, 2015, 03:27:25 PM »

I saw L&M last night, my 4th, at its final local showtime (today I checked and it's completely gone in these parts).  I wanted to take one of my other sons, it was 9:30 and still 5 others showed.  I'm surprised it endured 2-1/2 months about.

And I still heard a line--a bit of dialogue between Brian & Carl--I hadn't caught before, closing the scene where the touring BB's return from Japan and're greeted by Brian in the studio in preparation for (hearing) the new Pet Sounds L.P. tracks.  Carl had given his older brother a souvenier fan "it even matches your shirt" he adds, but finally Brian kids Carl by saying "but I'd wanted a samurai sword!"

Just a half minute earlier we see (what I believe is) the only Bruce Johnston appearance and exchange, where Brian says something like "Great job, Bruce" (shaking his hand as he walks past) to which Bruce replies "I could never fill your shoes".

One part I came to terms with, that I used to have a problem, was where Murry tells Brian the 'good news' - he's just sold Sea Of Tubes publishing for $750K.  This is also where Brian had just told him the rest of the band were going to salvage the SMiLE album cuts with or without his help and call it Smiley Smile, in order to give Capitol an album post haste.  Obviously the SOT sale came over 2 years later and I didn't like the convoluted collapse of events.  But now I believe that was deliberate by director Pohlad in that he wanted Brian to get the full effect of a 1-2 punch at that point in time, Brian being essentially taken down by those around him as producer and 'music leader' and this drives that critical point home.

I'm feeling pretty lucky that after the film ended its 'first run' in my city in late July it has re-apepared at a 'second run' theater as of last Friday. More showtimes starting today. I feel a little silly for admitting this but I've seen L&M thirteen times. And will likely go once more before next Tuesday. Speaking of Tuesday..four short days away from the HD digital release on your e-tailer of choice in North America. On iTunes there are the same extras included in the BD/DVD release. Truly cannot wait.

Lots of joking in the scene you mentioned when the band comes back from Japan. That exchange between Brian & Carl is indeed very humorous.. "you know, a samurai sword would've been much cooler" or something to that effect. Also, a moment before, Mike to Brian "you need to go on a fast with me" and Brian says "I'm already eating as fast as I can".

Bruce's character actually appears in several subsequent scenes after the one you mention. As I recall, immediately following that interaction, he is with the group singing "You Still Believe in Me". He is also in the "Sloop John B" black-and-white film. Also he is seen chatting with someone during the "Good Vibrations" cello scene. There may be others.

You're absolutely right about the last interaction with Murry and Brian. It's an effort to condense a lot of hurt into one scene. It also, perhaps, is meant to put forth the theory that those two things (even if in reality they happened 2 years apart) were the impetus for Brian completely pulling back. Obviously, Brian continued to make music but he went from being the 100% driving force behind everything to ceding control to the others. Of course, when working within the confines of 120 minutes, some of this has to be greatly abridged.

Bittersweet-Sanity
Smiley Smile Associate

Busy Doin' Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: August 22, 2015, 05:09:27 AM »

Such neat lil allusions in this film: Marilyn telling Brian their daughter has his SMiLE. Melinda listening to a talk radio program ("so you're saying there's a code of ethics we should abide by") before being visited by Doug the Blonde Bodyguard.

Off topic but I think Alexandra Morgan is the lady whose identity is concealed in the Diane Sawyer report from 1991. The lady sounds more like Morgan than Melinda, who everyone assumes it is. https://youtu.be/y9C_lKYhWr4?t=42s https://vimeo.com/120994523 But as someone on the Hoffman board pointed out, it's very strange to think that she'd out Landy like that on t.v. and not suffer any repercussions. http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/brian-wilson-biopic-love-and-mercy.315562/page-28
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 05:13:18 AM by Bittersweet-Sanity » Logged

"It looks like I'm going to have to go bananas all by myself." -B.W.

"Dr. Landy and Brian Wilson are right out of a storybook." -Brian Wilson

"So maybe Beach Boys fans are stupid and we can dismiss the whole thing. But maybe that's a pretty snotty attitude to take; maybe something is happening here that we just ought to know about" -Paul Williams

"Brian is an enigma, a leprechaun," said rhythm guitarist Al Jardine.

"There ain't a rocketship powerfull enough to be able to blast Jeff's fat ass into space."-Mike's Beard
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: August 22, 2015, 07:21:15 PM »

That lady has to be somebody we've heard of?
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: August 24, 2015, 09:56:48 AM »

was Bruce Johnston in the original SJB b&w promo film (I just don't recall him).  Will I suppose he had to be if Pohlad showed him in the recreation.  My original point about Bruce however was the only speaking line he has is in that return from Japan tour scene.  Yes you could say we see Bruce a tiny bit here and there later on, but if he wasn't given that solitary line we wouldn't know who that extra person seen was (or at least wouldn't be certain).

"It also, perhaps, is meant to put forth the theory that those two things (even if in reality they happened 2 years apart) were the impetus for Brian completely pulling back."  Yes!  Pohlad I think felt the need somehow to try making a statement "THIS is how the Brian played by Paul Dano got to be the Brian played by John Cusack", they're so radically different to the general public anyway.

I thought it was Evan (Landy) who calls on Melinda  (not Doug the blonde bodyguard)

"Mike to Brian "you need to go on a fast with me""  maybe a sly reference to the fasts Mike Love was known later to've gone on that went haywire
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 10:00:16 AM by hideyotsuburaya » Logged
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: August 24, 2015, 10:07:51 AM »

was Bruce Johnston in the original SJB b&w promo film (I just don't recall him).  Will I suppose he had to be if Pohlad showed him in the recreation.

Yes. Bruce is in the promo film. Dennis is not.
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1860 on: August 24, 2015, 10:09:27 AM »

was Bruce Johnston in the original SJB b&w promo film (I just don't recall him).  Well I suppose he had to be if Pohlad showed him in the recreation.  My original point about Bruce however was the only speaking line he has is in that return from Japan tour scene.  Yes you could say we see Bruce a tiny bit here and there later on, but if he wasn't given that solitary identifiable line we wouldn't know who that extra person seen was (or at least wouldn't be certain).

"It also, perhaps, is meant to put forth the theory that those two things (even if in reality they happened 2 years apart) were the impetus for Brian completely pulling back."  Yes!  Pohlad I think felt the need somehow to summarize in one scene if possible "THIS is how the Brian played by Paul Dano got to be the Brian played by John Cusack", they're so radically different to the general public anyway.

I thought it was Evan (Landy) who calls on Melinda  (not Doug the blonde bodyguard)

"Mike to Brian "you need to go on a fast with me""  maybe a sly reference to the fasts Mike Love was known later to've gone on that went haywire

from one Smiley Smile Associate to another, yes of course you need to go and see L&M a 14th time (can't stop on an unlucky number)

(right....Dennis was running his Bolex camera)

....and my posts here got screwed up
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 12:01:48 PM by hideyotsuburaya » Logged
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: August 24, 2015, 01:39:20 PM »

Interesting review by the Huff Post.  Mostly good, but some odd comments saying he was dwarfed by of other acts of the 60s and the film should have had 30 minutes taken out. 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lloyd-i-sederer-md/not-so-good-vibrations-lo_b_8028804.html
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: August 24, 2015, 01:42:54 PM »

Interesting review by the Huff Post.  Mostly good, but some odd comments saying he was dwarfed by of other acts of the 60s and the film should have had 30 minutes taken out. 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lloyd-i-sederer-md/not-so-good-vibrations-lo_b_8028804.html

"Dwarfed by the giants of the '60s (including The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, The Grateful Dead, Peter, Paul and Mary, and others) Brian Wilson's musical accomplishments, especially arrangements, are not well known outside the industry -- an historical omission this film aims to correct."

Well, someone's not been paying attention.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1863 on: August 24, 2015, 01:48:04 PM »

Peter, Paul, and Mary. Enough said.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: August 24, 2015, 01:49:57 PM »

"Dwarfed by the giants of the '60s (including The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, The Grateful Dead, Peter, Paul and Mary, and others) Brian Wilson's musical accomplishments, especially arrangements, are not well known outside the industry -- an historical omission this film aims to correct."

Well, someone's not been paying attention.

I think he was trying to say in terms of public perception, but worded it very poorly. 
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: August 24, 2015, 02:25:23 PM »

That's a very oddball review. Transcendental Meditation

GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: August 24, 2015, 03:49:54 PM »

Pretty cool exclusive clip:  http://entertainthis.usatoday.com/2015/08/24/brian-wilson-exclusive-love-and-mercy-clip/
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1867 on: August 24, 2015, 06:20:12 PM »

Yeah. A lady whose initials are Melinda Wilson. It's most definitely her. Listen to that voice and compare it to her voice in IJWMFTT.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: August 24, 2015, 10:39:53 PM »

Yeah. A lady whose initials are Melinda Wilson. It's most definitely her. Listen to that voice and compare it to her voice in IJWMFTT.

Wow they sound nothing alike!
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: August 25, 2015, 04:39:05 AM »

I thought it was pretty much established, if not confirmed, that it is Melinda in that clip. I've always thought it was her at least.

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1870 on: August 25, 2015, 07:13:29 AM »

Not that it’s needed, but to offer up something that contradicts that blowhard Roger Friedman’s continued “sky is falling” articles about how poorly he thought L&M did (he apparently doesn’t understand budgets and expectations and demographics, etc.), this article of “summer hits and misses” notes that Roadside Attractions “scored” with a couple of their films including L&M. As we’ve discussed on and off, the film did quite well for its size and budget.

http://www.thewrap.com/22-summer-hits-and-misses-chris-pratts-world-tom-hardys-reboot-and-seasons-most-embarrassing-flop/

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1871 on: August 25, 2015, 11:26:28 AM »

Just a reminder that posting non-official links to download copies of the film since it has been released commercially will not be allowed on this forum, nor will requests to provide such links. Anyone doing so will be subject to a ban.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: August 25, 2015, 01:28:18 PM »

the Huffington Post review of L&M will do.....he wants to get rid of 30 minutes, less stuff at pools, hmmm....definitely NOT the scene where Brian tries to get the rest to come over to the deep end of his pool because he thinks his Dad and Phil Spector have everywhere else in his home bugged.  That scene goes right to the core.  And no less recording studio sessions, perish even the thought, they are so delightful.  I agree the chemistry between Cusack & Banks if not leaps off of the screen gets a good running start

when Melinda takes the first phone call at her Cadillac dealership from Brian the connection actually begins will other voices saying something before Brian comes on the line....I'd like to know exactly what/who those other voices were
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: August 25, 2015, 01:56:05 PM »

the Huffington Post review of L&M will do.....he wants to get rid of 30 minutes, less stuff at pools, hmmm....definitely NOT the scene where Brian tries to get the rest to come over to the deep end of his pool because he thinks his Dad and Phil Spector have everywhere else in his home bugged.  That scene goes right to the core.  And no less recording studio sessions, perish even the thought, they are so delightful.  I agree the chemistry between Cusack & Banks if not leaps off of the screen gets a good running start

when Melinda takes the first phone call at her Cadillac dealership from Brian the connection actually begins will other voices saying something before Brian comes on the line....I'd like to know exactly what/who those other voices were

Now that the movie is out in digital form someone else can probably give you a more exact answer, but from what I remember the the other voice was Landy and he was telling Brian to use his other ear (to listen to Melinda over the phone).

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: August 25, 2015, 01:58:01 PM »

Landy telling Brian to use his other ear (as if Brian had never used the phone, or not in a long time) seems stupidly crude to me
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 01:58:52 PM by hideyotsuburaya » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73 74 [75] 76 77 78 79 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx