gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 12:13:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 68 ... 79 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love and Mercy - News and Reviews - First clip is out.  (Read 510468 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1550 on: June 08, 2015, 06:21:17 AM »

Posted this in the other L&M thread as well. Apologies if this has already been reported, but the “numbers” are in from this weekend’s “limited” run. The film made approx.. $2,222,000 on 483 screens, for a “per screen” average of $4,600, which I believe is quite good. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

For a comparison, the biggest blockbuster film played on about 3,800 screens.

This puts it at something around #11 for the weekend in terms of total gross, but #5 in terms of dollars per screen. I believe this is considered a pretty good performance for what the mainstream media is characterizing as an “indie”, “Oscar bait” film.

The film will apparently add screens in the coming week(s).

Saw it this weekend. Will have a review soon…

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: June 08, 2015, 06:36:32 AM »

Brian had already seen the film by himself before he saw the film in Pohlad's presence, according to the latter, so I don't think there are any witnesses to how Brian reacted when he first saw it, except maybe the projectionist:

Were you there the first time Brian sat down and watched this film in its entirety?

I was not. The first one who saw it was Melinda. I sat with her when she watched it, and honestly, she was stunned, I think. Whenever you see your life suddenly put up on the big screen with actors acting both for you and people you love, it’s got to be a bit shocking. She admitted she was stunned by it and wasn’t sure how to react and ended up driving around for a few hours afterwards and letting it sink in. Ultimately, she feels great about the film, but for a little while there, she wasn’t sure. Brian, on the other hand, I was not there with. He wanted to watch it by himself because he felt too self-conscious about it. I heard from the projectionist that Brian thought it was great, which was good enough for me. He gave us notes on it, a couple of good notes — just little editing things that we could fix to make it more accurate. I finally got to see it with him in Toronto, got to really sit down with him and hear what he had to say, and got the feeling that he really liked it.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/06/interview-director-bill-pohlad/
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 06:37:32 AM by harrisonjon » Logged
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: June 08, 2015, 07:02:40 AM »

I agree with all the positive comments here. I was slackjawed and gobsmacked when I left the theatre. Some of the scenes with Landy were more frightening than some horror movies, so kudos to Giamatti — he's the new version of Louise Fletcher's Nurse Ratched (One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest).

BTW, I had my own "Hello, Mr. Wilson" (Brian's experience in '66 when seeing the movie Seconds) moment. Just before I saw the movie, I was looking at a bio of The Who's Roger Daltrey and saw the expression for the first time "straight as a die."
And the day before, I used the well-known expression "cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs."
Both expressions were used in the movie.
Mind gangsters!  Shocked

BTW, I was also shocked to hear the isolated Good Vibrations vocals.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 07:03:49 AM by Joel Goldenberg » Logged
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: June 08, 2015, 08:04:52 AM »

I ran across this brief interview with Oren Moverman.  He touches on a few points that some may not be aware of including early drafts, liberties taken and why, and what was left on the cutting room floor.

http://collider.com/love-and-mercy-oren-moverman-on-making-a-cinematic-brian-williams-biopic/

Moving this up.  The URL amuses me - are we quite ready for the life story of the disgraced former anchorman, especially a re-creation of his 30 Rock cameos? - but the interview is very useful, though I'd advise you to read it after you see L&M.  Moverman describes exactly how the original idea, with a third actor as Seventies Brian, would have worked.  I think he and Pohlad made the right decision to cut it down to two decades.  Treating the Seventies as the movie's "present" and the second Landy era as "the future" would have made the movie too depressing.  The way it ends, with post-'91 Brian as "the future" (and the promise of that future fulfilled as the credits start) works much better. 
Larry Franz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1554 on: June 08, 2015, 08:46:00 AM »

Extended analysis of its performance at the box office this weekend:

http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompsononhollywood/arthouse-audit-love-mercy-opens-well-testament-of-youth-modest-20150607

(I'm seeing it again tonight and taking one casual fan and one non-fan with me. Popcorn has been promised.)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 09:29:33 AM by Larry Franz » Logged

Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into. (It became fine later on.)
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: June 08, 2015, 09:52:51 AM »

So, from what I saw in the movie, the official story is now that Murry Wilson was indeed to blame for Brian's partial deafness?
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: June 08, 2015, 09:56:41 AM »

So, from what I saw in the movie, the official story is now that Murry Wilson was indeed to blame for Brian's partial deafness?

That's correct.  The film implies one too many smacks to the head is the cause.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1557 on: June 08, 2015, 10:08:38 AM »

Can we perhaps lock/retire this thread and move all discussion on the film to the other newer thread? (Or vice versa?) I and probably several others feel like we might want to post the same thing to both threads to reach all readers and get more thoughts (e.g. the possible “Good Vibrations” isolated vocals).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: June 08, 2015, 10:26:57 AM »

I thought this thread was for posting news releases and "official" information while the other is for member reviews and discussion, but maybe now they should be merged or something.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 10:28:17 AM by Cyncie » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1559 on: June 08, 2015, 10:33:56 AM »

I thought this thread was for posting news releases and "official" information while the other is for member reviews and discussion, but maybe now they should be merged or something.

I suppose in theory, but folks are posting thoughts/reviews/dissections of the film on this thread too. A thread of just “official” stuff would amount to maybe a few dozen posts announcing trailers and showtimes and whatnot. After one sees the film, wouldn’t any thoughts that spring from that go in the other thread?

Like the “Good Vibrations” vocals. Where does that discussion go? In both at this stage. Ten threads on the film are fine. But these two threads read virtually identically at this stage. We’re seeing thoughts and analysis springing from both “mainstream media” reviews and member reviews/viewings. I just thought it might help to combine them or lock one or something. Perhaps I’m alone in this thought.

doinnothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1560 on: June 08, 2015, 11:30:34 AM »

Just re-affirming, this interview is great:

http://collider.com/love-and-mercy-oren-moverman-on-making-a-cinematic-brian-williams-biopic/

took me a while to understand what was going on in this thread. mainly because i thought that veggie was a bokchoy
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: June 08, 2015, 12:27:01 PM »

It's an awesome interview. 

My favorite bit is:

It’s always longer, the question is how much longer?

MOVERMAN: I think the first cut as opposed to the rough cut, the first cut where you’re sort of like, “Let’s have people watch it,” was like 2 hour and 20 minutes.

The finished film is slightly over 2:01 with end credits included.  Would be really nice to have a jampacked Blu-Ray/DVD release.  Lionsgate bought the U.S. distribution rights and I believe they own "Brian Wilson: I Just Wasn't Made For These Times".  I could see them including that as part of a deluxe release.  I don't know that the documentary is currently in print, although you can purchase an SD version on iTunes.

I would be pleased with something like...

- LOVE & MERCY theatrical film
- 4 or 5 Deleted Scenes
- Full commentary by Bill Pohlad and Oren Moverman
- 20 to 30 minute Featurette about the Making Of
- BRIAN WILSON: I JUST WASN'T MADE FOR THESE TIMES theatrical film

That would be a stellar package.  Sorry, just daydreaming.

puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: June 08, 2015, 12:27:09 PM »

I think a third thread is in order for the Good Vibes vocals. Let's keep news here and reactions to the other thread.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1563 on: June 08, 2015, 12:36:10 PM »

It's an awesome interview.  

My favorite bit is:

It’s always longer, the question is how much longer?

MOVERMAN: I think the first cut as opposed to the rough cut, the first cut where you’re sort of like, “Let’s have people watch it,” was like 2 hour and 20 minutes.

The finished film is slightly over 2:01 with end credits included.  Would be really nice to have a jampacked Blu-Ray/DVD release.  Lionsgate bought the U.S. distribution rights and I believe they own "Brian Wilson: I Just Wasn't Made For These Times".  I could see them including that as part of a deluxe release.  I don't know that the documentary is currently in print, although you can purchase an SD version on iTunes.

I would be pleased with something like...

- LOVE & MERCY theatrical film
- 4 or 5 Deleted Scenes
- Full commentary by Bill Pohlad and Oren Moverman
- 20 to 30 minute Featurette about the Making Of
- BRIAN WILSON: I JUST WASN'T MADE FOR THESE TIMES theatrical film

That would be a stellar package.  Sorry, just daydreaming.

Lionsgate (than under the “Artisan” label) put out a DVD of the “I Just Wasn’t Made for These Times” documentary back in the late 90’s. It went out of print, but eventually Artisan did a “Double Feature” DVD with that doc and the “An American Band” doc both on one disc. That version is still in print.

Unfortunately, while the IJWMFTT doc is widescreen, both DVD versions are non-anamorphic. A new Blu-ray release of the documentary, if it was to be in true HD quality (looks like they shot the film on 16mm B&W), would have to have a new HD scan done (and would look much better). I think such a film should get its own separate release, if they can do a new HD scan. They would also hopefully have some interview outtakes to work with as well (the documentary is pretty short on its own; I think it’s something like 69 minutes long).

Musketeer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: June 08, 2015, 12:53:30 PM »

Brian Williams biopic? Cheesy
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: June 08, 2015, 12:59:01 PM »

Yea, surprised they haven't fixed the url.  Has been like that since last week.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: June 08, 2015, 01:06:07 PM »

That, and they could've spent 2 minutes proofreading the thing....

"if you listen to the interviews in full specter where he’s criticizing Brian because he’s very jealous, he calls his music “edit music”"

in full specter? Great dictation app you got there! Ahh well, still a crazy good interview that sheds a lot of light on the film. Definitely don't let Brian Williams see that URL though: "Oh yeah, I did record some music back in the 60s too..." Grin

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
doinnothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: June 08, 2015, 01:11:51 PM »

That interview mentions a bit I don't recall hearing about before of Brian trying to kill himself at the Chateau Marmont in the 70s. Is that new info or would I find info about that somewhere?

took me a while to understand what was going on in this thread. mainly because i thought that veggie was a bokchoy
WonderfulLittlePad
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: June 08, 2015, 01:31:11 PM »

Guess it is safe to assume that the person that is an anonymous source in this story is Gloria?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-vhRkfFgj8
Bittersweet-Sanity
Smiley Smile Associate

Busy Doin' Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: June 08, 2015, 02:35:00 PM »

you know, it's entirely possible. but most people think it's Melinda. Why would she say she worked for Landy? No idea. It could certainly be Gloria, but there's no hispanic accent.

"It looks like I'm going to have to go bananas all by myself." -B.W.

"Dr. Landy and Brian Wilson are right out of a storybook." -Brian Wilson

"So maybe Beach Boys fans are stupid and we can dismiss the whole thing. But maybe that's a pretty snotty attitude to take; maybe something is happening here that we just ought to know about" -Paul Williams

"Brian is an enigma, a leprechaun," said rhythm guitarist Al Jardine.

"There ain't a rocketship powerfull enough to be able to blast Jeff's fat ass into space."-Mike's Beard
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: June 08, 2015, 02:40:00 PM »

That interview mentions a bit I don't recall hearing about before of Brian trying to kill himself at the Chateau Marmont in the 70s. Is that new info or would I find info about that somewhere?

I took that to mean that the hotel was one of his stomping grounds.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: June 08, 2015, 03:21:41 PM »

Lionsgate (than under the “Artisan” label) put out a DVD of the “I Just Wasn’t Made for These Times” documentary back in the late 90’s. It went out of print, but eventually Artisan did a “Double Feature” DVD with that doc and the “An American Band” doc both on one disc. That version is still in print.

Unfortunately, while the IJWMFTT doc is widescreen, both DVD versions are non-anamorphic. A new Blu-ray release of the documentary, if it was to be in true HD quality (looks like they shot the film on 16mm B&W), would have to have a new HD scan done (and would look much better). I think such a film should get its own separate release, if they can do a new HD scan. They would also hopefully have some interview outtakes to work with as well (the documentary is pretty short on its own; I think it’s something like 69 minutes long).

Good points all around.  I bet a cleaned up transfer of IJWMFTT would look terrific.  It is truly the perfect companion for LOVE & MERCY.  Some of my favorite moments are Carl, Audree and Brian around the piano.  That's priceless footage.

lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: June 08, 2015, 04:53:11 PM »

I hate to say it but I like An American Family a little better...
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: June 08, 2015, 05:12:46 PM »

IMDb rating up to 7.8 now. 

Rotten Tomatoes 88% Tomatometer.  96% Audience Score.

Pretty groovy.

Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: June 08, 2015, 05:55:42 PM »

Only a few minutes into this, but a very good discussion with Pohlad, Dano, and Brian among others. Brian's pretty animated here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdB71BA9HOI

EDIT: Classic Brian-ism at the end.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 06:01:36 PM by Mayoman » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 68 ... 79 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx