gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:29:09 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 ... 79 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love and Mercy - News and Reviews - First clip is out.  (Read 508273 times)
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: June 02, 2015, 04:43:37 AM »

A review by The Dissolve:

https://thedissolve.com/reviews/1623-love-mercy/
Vega-Table Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: June 02, 2015, 07:25:47 AM »

Brian's Facebook page said that on Wednesday we'll know the exact locations and showtimes for the movie.

One of my local theaters (Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, PA area) just posted showtimes. I just bought my tickets for Friday night online; I could not be more stoked!
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: June 02, 2015, 07:32:04 AM »

ArcLight Stories featureatte:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVRaJzwr7fE

Interview with Pohlad with some clips from the movie.  "One Kind of Love" featured throughout.

Awesome clip.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: June 02, 2015, 07:39:18 AM »

That is freaking magical.

WonderfulLittlePad
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: June 02, 2015, 08:00:23 AM »

A little disappointed this isn't getting a wider release than it is.  It has named actors and seems to be getting really good reviews.  Guess I will wait till the second week and see if it gets closer to where I live.
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: June 02, 2015, 12:46:45 PM »

This movie is getting a ton of press coverage it seems. Articles and reviews seem to be popping up all over. Pretty freakin' cool since this is not a huge release. Most buzz also seems to be very positive.

I started watching that latest clip with Pohlad though and had to stop it because it's going to spoil the movie for me if I keep seeing so much of it. No more visiting this thread for me until I see the film.
Larry Franz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1331 on: June 02, 2015, 01:37:14 PM »

A little disappointed this isn't getting a wider release than it is.  It has named actors and seems to be getting really good reviews.  Guess I will wait till the second week and see if it gets closer to where I live.

Moviefone now lists 53 theaters in the US. Almost 400 more are supposed to be added this week, so it might be showing closer than you think on Friday.

Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into. (It became fine later on.)
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: June 02, 2015, 01:39:42 PM »

Moviefone now lists 53 theaters in the US. Almost 400 more are supposed to be added this week, so it might be showing closer than you think on Friday.

I hope so.  Right now, it's not listed for any of the theaters within ten miles of where I live, of which there are quite a few.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: June 02, 2015, 01:47:24 PM »

I am surprised that it is only at one theater in the whole Philly metro area. Close to an hour away by car from where I live. I thought it would have a bigger release than this? Hopefully, it shows up at a few more places with tomorrow's listings.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 01:49:48 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: June 02, 2015, 01:49:47 PM »

I keep hearing about the movie. A couple of friends (who know I'm a fan) have asked me about it, and I keep hearing about it through various things. Today I was in my car listening to NPR and some sponsor was either the movie studio or the production company or something. But at any rate, it was, "featuring 'Love and Mercy,' the story of Beach Boys founder Brian Wilson." Pretty great. And of course Paul Dano et al are making the talk-show rounds.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1335 on: June 02, 2015, 01:58:41 PM »

A little disappointed this isn't getting a wider release than it is.  It has named actors and seems to be getting really good reviews.  Guess I will wait till the second week and see if it gets closer to where I live.

The theater I found in Columbus (the Drexel) that will be showing it (there may be more, will find out tomorrow) finally posted the showtimes on their site today.  It looks like they are devoting 2 of their 3 screens to this film alone.  At least for the first week it looks as though the film will be playing almost once an hour.  I'm impressed, to say the least.

sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: June 02, 2015, 02:00:15 PM »

In a just published Consequence of Sound interview with Bill Pohlad, he was asked if he was going to release a soundtrack of the score from Love & Mercy, and he said "We are. We're working on it right now.... and it should be out soon after the film." This is the most definitive response I have heard so far about a soundtrack. I wonder if "soon after the film" means soon after it's released in theaters, or soon after the dvd/blu-ray release? Either way, this is great news!

The COS interview is quite good.  Thanks for the head's up.

Here's the link: http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/06/interview-director-bill-pohlad/

sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: June 02, 2015, 02:04:15 PM »

I hope so.  Right now, it's not listed for any of the theaters within ten miles of where I live, of which there are quite a few.

I'm by no means an expert but some of the more successful independent films in recent years have done phased roll outs.  EX MACHINA did this earlier in the year.  Several hundred theaters and then building weeks later to a more "wide" release.

It's probably smart, that way you don't get crushed at the multiplex by an Avenger or an Ant Man.

Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: June 02, 2015, 02:37:36 PM »

Carnie's Twitter:

Carnie Wilson ‏@CarnieWilson  15s15 seconds ago
I'm excited to see my Daddy @BrianWilsonLive movie premiere tonight #LoveAndMercy #emotional #proudToBeHisDaughter
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1339 on: June 02, 2015, 02:45:07 PM »

Message just in from Brian!
https://www.facebook.com/officialbrianwilson/videos/10153360704692241/
shadownoze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: June 02, 2015, 02:58:34 PM »

Got my reserved seats for Friday night at the Alamo Drafthouse in Austin, the coolest place to see movies anywhere. It's also showing at the Violet Crown, another theater that features food and drinks along with your movie. I'd expect it to be in at least one or two other theaters in Austin, but the others haven't announced lineups for the weekend yet.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: June 02, 2015, 03:27:20 PM »

Brian's page also posted Paul Dano will be on Kimmel tonight.

Edit: Dano will also be on the Late Late Show on Thursday.  Cusack will be on The Tonight Show and Banks will be on Kimmel also on Thursday as posted before.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 03:33:38 PM by The Cincinnati Kid » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1342 on: June 02, 2015, 03:47:29 PM »

It looks like, at least in some areas, it's hitting more of the "art house" type of venues for this first week. In my area, it's playing in a couple of theaters that play stuff outside of the typical blockbusters. Not full-on indie-only theaters or anything, but smaller multiplexes that just have a slant towards the more indie-type pieces.

This move ain't hitting #1 at the box office, nor would I imagine do any of the people involved in the film assume it will. It isn't that kind of movie. I'm sure they hope it does well and expands in its second week. With good reviews and publicity, the thing could well turn a nice profit even just hovering in the top 5 or 10 of films, as I would assume it was a relatively low-budget affair.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: June 02, 2015, 04:24:12 PM »

Cool photo from Love & Mercy's Instagram:

Holy sh*t, looks like Brian's trying to decide whether the 'vibes are right', and Van Dyke's about to bolt the scene.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: June 02, 2015, 04:44:18 PM »

I am surprised that it is only at one theater in the whole Philly metro area. Close to an hour away by car from where I live. I thought it would have a bigger release than this? Hopefully, it shows up at a few more places with tomorrow's listings.

Hmmm....   I don't know much about the Philly area, but I just googled these listings for Friday:  

Landmark Theatres--  Standard 1:00pm  3:40  7:00  9:40

Carmike Ritz 16 -Standard  10:15am  1:15pm  4:30  7:30  10:35  

Regal Cinemas Downingtown 16 & IMAX --   Standard   11:05am   1:30pm   4:20  7:10  10:00

Montgomery Cinemas -    Standard  1:50pm   4:30  7:10   9:50

ArtsQuest Center at SteelStacks - Standard  1:00pm  4:00  7:00  8:00

Fandango has five  listings:   http://www.fandango.com/love26mercy_181116/movietimes?location=Philadelphia,%20PA

( It's showing at three Wehrenberg theatres in the St Louis Mo area, plus the Landmark Tivoli and Frontenac )
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 04:52:15 PM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
doinnothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: June 02, 2015, 04:57:19 PM »

2 Q&A's announced in Los Angeles so far:

6/6 7:15pm - Arclight Cinerama Dome (Hollywood) - w/Brian and Melinda Wilson, Actor Paul Dano, Director Bill Pohlad, and Producer Claire Rudnick Polstein
6/7 4:30pm - The Landmark (West LA) - w/Brian and Melinda Wilson, Director Bill Pohlad, and Producer Claire Rudnick Polstein

I'll be at 6/6 (refunded the ticket I had for 6/7)

took me a while to understand what was going on in this thread. mainly because i thought that veggie was a bokchoy
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: June 02, 2015, 05:07:32 PM »

Brian's page also posted Paul Dano will be on Kimmel tonight.

Edit: Dano will also be on the Late Late Show on Thursday.  Cusack will be on The Tonight Show and Banks will be on Kimmel also on Thursday as posted before.

Thanks for the head's up.  Cool Guy

rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: June 02, 2015, 05:36:51 PM »

Fandango shows it opening Friday in eight theaters across the DC metro area. The night before, at 12:20 am, it screens at the Arclight in Bethesda Maryland.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: June 02, 2015, 06:01:19 PM »

Hmmm....   I don't know much about the Philly area, but I just googled these listings for Friday:  

Landmark Theatres--  Standard 1:00pm  3:40  7:00  9:40

Carmike Ritz 16 -Standard  10:15am  1:15pm  4:30  7:30  10:35  

Regal Cinemas Downingtown 16 & IMAX --   Standard   11:05am   1:30pm   4:20  7:10  10:00

Montgomery Cinemas -    Standard  1:50pm   4:30  7:10   9:50

ArtsQuest Center at SteelStacks - Standard  1:00pm  4:00  7:00  8:00

Fandango has five  listings:   http://www.fandango.com/love26mercy_181116/movietimes?location=Philadelphia,%20PA

( It's showing at three Wehrenberg theatres in the St Louis Mo area, plus the Landmark Tivoli and Frontenac )
Thanks Chris! A couple of these theaters showed where I checked (on Moviefone), but all of these are even further away than Downtown Philly. Even the closest theater in New Jersey is an hour's ride north. I have 4 multiplexes within 10 mins of my house and not a one is showing the movie.

Just checked again, and it is playing at the Ritz in Voorhees, NJ which is about 5 miles away. Wasn't listed earlier this afternoon. Hopefully, I'll see it this weekend.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 06:15:03 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: June 02, 2015, 09:36:48 PM »

4-star review from the Chicago Tribune

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/movies/ct-love-and-mercy-review-brian-wilson-review-phillips-20150602-column.html

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 ... 79 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx