gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:53:50 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 79 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love and Mercy - News and Reviews - First clip is out.  (Read 508277 times)
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #550 on: September 14, 2014, 03:58:34 PM »

I want to know exactly who is the one they call Big Sally and why she is considered to be a source of such strain amongst some of those not to be mentioned round the other forum no more!

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #551 on: September 14, 2014, 04:37:05 PM »

I've got no inside information at all, but given these early, extremely positive reviews (especially the ones in the Los Angeles Times, Variety and Hollywood Reporter), I think the movie will play for a week in Los Angeles before the end of 2014 to qualify for the Oscars, and maybe for a week in New York, and then open in the rest of the US in early 2015.

And given the special praise being given Paul Dano's performance, I think he will be nominated for Best Actor (or Best Supporting Actor, depending on his screentime). Since there can be up to 10 nominees for Best Picture, a nomination for that is also a strong possibility.

I'm guessing that the people who work and live in Southern California and vote for the Oscars (which many people do take seriously, even if most of us don't) will feel good about the story it tells and want to express their appreciation for Brian, a local boy who made good.

A best picture nom is a long shot to be honest, maybe it just seems to good to be true, I truly hope it gets one though

Dano getting a best actor nomination seems pretty possible right now considering the praise he's getting

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #552 on: September 14, 2014, 05:06:20 PM »

I'd personally be surprised with a Best Picture nom. Don't see that happening. Dano could be nominated. I'd say he'd be up for Supporting Actor - they play pretty loose with the definition of those categories but I think someone who splits the character with another actor wouldn't be considered for a Best Actor nomination. That said, Supporting Actor is a tough category and so it's mostly unlikely though Dano already has cred from There Will Be Blood, so it's not out of the realm of possibilities.
Larry Franz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #553 on: September 14, 2014, 05:48:01 PM »

I thought of the Best Picture because of the extra nominations they've added, but agree it's less likely than an Actor nomination.

Anyway, I'm driving home with the Chinese food, and imagining Paul Dano winning the Oscar, and Brian in the audience, and missed my turn.

Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into. (It became fine later on.)
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #554 on: September 14, 2014, 05:55:15 PM »

I thought of the Best Picture because of the extra nominations they've added, but agree it's less likely than an Actor nomination.

Anyway, I'm driving home with the Chinese food, and imagining Paul Dano winning the Oscar, and Brian in the audience, and missed my turn.

The important thing is, what did you order?
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #555 on: September 14, 2014, 08:16:14 PM »

Max Schneider - VDP
Larry Franz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #556 on: September 14, 2014, 08:28:27 PM »

That's a great imitation Van Dyke. People have said the movie's 60s look is extraordinarily well-done. This picture is evidence of that. (Presumably, the plastic water bottles aren't in the final cut.)

The important thing is, what did you order?

I'd tell you but am new here and not sure about the level of personal disclosure that's expected.

(General Tso's chicken, vegetable fried rice and two spring rolls)

Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into. (It became fine later on.)
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #557 on: September 14, 2014, 09:20:02 PM »

...you were on the forum while driving?

police

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #558 on: September 14, 2014, 09:51:09 PM »

Ray and Debbie - I've been a fan of the BB and Brian ever since the mid 60's. Thank you for your wonderful posts and for bringing true insights! Keep up the good work! And sincere compliments to Melinda for taking care of Brian!!!  Smiley
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #559 on: September 14, 2014, 11:17:15 PM »

police

Probably a long queue at the drive-through. Smiley

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #560 on: September 14, 2014, 11:19:15 PM »

At the drive in yeah at the drive in...we love the drive in

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Larry Franz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #561 on: September 15, 2014, 12:07:13 AM »

police

It took me a while, but now I get it. No, no, you've misunderstood my informal grammar, but that's certainly a good one!  Smiley

PS -- "Love and Mercy" didn't win one of the prizes it was eligible for at the Toronto Festival. The People's Choice award went to a movie about Alan Turing (starring Benedict Cumberbatch) and the critics picked a Richard Gere movie in the Special Presentations category.

http://www.tiff.net/festivals/thefestival/festivalawards

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #562 on: September 15, 2014, 02:47:19 AM »

Hi Debbie,

I'm not sure if nicko1234 posts here. You're better off registering at the BW board and asking there but, in truth, I wouldn't get bogged down in the pettiness of other posters. Don't take it personally. Some people will snipe at anything.

Yes, I post here and no pettiness going on at all.

Apologies - my mistake.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #563 on: September 15, 2014, 02:56:55 AM »

Max Schneider - VDP

Nooooooo he has boy-band hair! Somebody please tell me his hair is not styled that way in the movie?!!

I can forgive the woody in the Surfin Safari shoot, any number of non-period mics in the studio scenes and John Cusack's total lack of physical resemblance to Brian Wilson but VDP with Bieber hair is a step too far ....

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Nicko1234
« Reply #564 on: September 15, 2014, 03:30:58 AM »

Apologies - my mistake.

No worries at all. A simple misunderstanding. Smiley
NickandthePassions
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #565 on: September 15, 2014, 06:57:44 AM »

Anyone else find it strange that Paul Giamatti didn't attend the film festival?  Or at least wasn't in any of the group pictures?

"Living a dream
Don't wanna sleep
Might miss something"
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #566 on: September 15, 2014, 08:30:26 AM »

I can forgive the woody in the Surfin Safari shoot, any number of non-period mics in the studio scenes and John Cusack's total lack of physical resemblance to Brian Wilson but VDP with Bieber hair is a step too far ....

Serious request here, please point me in the direction of the photo(s) showing the non-period mics being used in the studio scenes, I'd like to check them out.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #567 on: September 15, 2014, 08:39:03 AM »

Anyone else find it strange that Paul Giamatti didn't attend the film festival?  Or at least wasn't in any of the group pictures?

The original agreement was for a set number of appearances and interviews, and when things were starting to look good, those involved agreed to a set number of extra promotional appearances. Brian wanted to keep promoting the film after the agreed-upon end date but Paul Giamatti already had other commitments and had to bow out. Brian said it was like being fired from his life.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #568 on: September 15, 2014, 09:12:10 AM »

Serious request here, please point me in the direction of the photo(s) showing the non-period mics being used in the studio scenes, I'd like to check them out.

I should've known you'd jump on that bit! Fear not, Guitarfool, there are no photos and I wouldn't be able to recognise a non-period mic if it jumped up and ... er, reverbed me in the face (or whatever non period mics do).

But seriously - that non-period VDP haircut doesn't bother you?!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 09:13:12 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #569 on: September 15, 2014, 09:53:53 AM »

I should've known you'd jump on that bit! Fear not, Guitarfool, there are no photos and I wouldn't be able to recognise a non-period mic if it jumped up and ... er, reverbed me in the face (or whatever non period mics do).

Er, no because it is the same haircut.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #570 on: September 15, 2014, 09:58:51 AM »

Wow. That's impressive.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #571 on: September 15, 2014, 10:04:49 AM »

I was curious about the mics because I'm always looking for those details in studio recreations, especially from the 60's...and especially from a BW session from 1966!  Smiley

As far as the VDP portrayal, Andy already beat me to it by posting his photos, but I have these of the "real" VDP from 1966-68 and they look pretty close to the actor in the new photo, but judge for yourself:

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #572 on: September 15, 2014, 10:23:27 AM »

The guy portraying VDP has it down - his face looks like him, the haircut is right on, and the glasses even look the same. The actor playing Van Dyke looks a helluva lot closer to the original than the guy portraying Brian. No doubt.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #573 on: September 15, 2014, 10:55:23 AM »

But look closer ... It's doing that thing where one side is pushed forward - a bit like a bowl has been put on there and then rotated a bit.

Here is an extreme of this 'boy-band' look (those of a squeamish disposition may wish to look away) ...

Ok, ok I sound mental. I don't usually get hung up on these things but that haircut looks too X Factor to me. I agree it's a great piece of casting as the actor is the spit of a young VDP. So it's a shame that the haircut - presumably the easiest bit of period detailing to get right - is so not 60s looking. 

I actually think these historically inaccurate stylings are deliberate. To make the characters more relatable to a modern audience maybe and I can cope with things that are deliberate rather than lazy. I know I still sound mental, obsessing over this haircut, but there you go. Very much still looking forward to the film though.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #574 on: September 15, 2014, 11:10:17 AM »

Sometimes I realise that, if the actor portraying Dennis walked into a hotel foyer scene with his green-painted dick hanging out of his trousers, folk here would be offended by the fact that it was an inauthentic shade of green.

And I have to agree that that kind of realism is important…
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 11:14:54 AM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 79 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx