gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:38:07 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 79 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love and Mercy - News and Reviews - First clip is out.  (Read 508321 times)
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: September 11, 2014, 01:16:59 PM »

Mental illness is real, and for those who struggle with it, it is a daily mountain that has to be climbed, just to function like everyday society. Having a disability only makes you stronger. That is what I hear Debbie saying.  Ray is a saint. He has devoted many years of his life to supporting Brian, no matter what the circumstances. The movie cannot tell the whole story. The truth is so much BIGGER than that.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 04:43:19 PM by Peter Reum » Logged

If it runs amuck, call the duck
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #451 on: September 11, 2014, 01:30:54 PM »

What do you recommend goes with Chicken McNuggets?  Huh
an enema?

LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: September 11, 2014, 01:45:24 PM »

an enema?

LOL

And that, folks, brings us back to Brian!  LOL
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: September 11, 2014, 02:11:11 PM »

A warm Bud Light.

Gppd (aka rel) ales should be served at room temp.

Today's recommendation is, unexpectedly, Thwaites' Wainwright, currently being brewed by Marstons on Thwaites' behalf.

“We live in divisive times.”
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: September 11, 2014, 02:27:24 PM »

Mental illness is real, and for those who struggle with it, it is a daily mountain that has to be climbed, just to function like everyday society. Having a disability only makes you stronger. That is what I hear Debbie saying.  Ray os a saint. He has devoted many years of his life to supporting Brian, no matter what the circumstances. The movie cannot tell the whole story. The truth is so much BIGGER than that.

Peter; thats very nice of you to say , you can cash my check now !  My ex wife will correctly argue otherwise....the only thing in her entire existence she would be correct about I might add......on that note I will join John Manning at the bar
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: September 11, 2014, 02:37:47 PM »

Off topic.  Grin

Interview with actors from the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKlj33Xp7wo
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #456 on: September 11, 2014, 02:42:55 PM »

....is the bar located here?

No truth to the rumor that the deputy mayor is Sam Sleeptight.

*cough*

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #457 on: September 11, 2014, 02:47:15 PM »

Off topic.  Grin

Pet Sessions? Part X? Ummm...yeah. LOL

Mark H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: September 11, 2014, 03:46:23 PM »

It's pretty clear in a lot of threads here that people don't post how they would talk to someone in real life.  Standard internet forum behaviour.

I'd be up for more/stronger action on people who are clearly being offensive and rude to others.  This is not needed and you can just ignore it but, as Donnie rightly says, it does serve to lessen, derail and ultimately prevent the more interesting conversations.

Can't wait for the first trailer, mine's a Guiness John, Cheers!  Beer
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: September 11, 2014, 03:54:50 PM »

It's pretty clear in a lot of threads here that people don't post how they would talk to someone in real life.  Standard internet forum behaviour.

I'd be up for more/stronger action on people who are clearly being offensive and rude to others.  This is not needed and you can just ignore it but, as Donnie rightly says, it does serve to lessen, derail and ultimately prevent the more interesting conversations.

His name is spelt "Donny".  And I'm "Mikie".  And you're..........."Marky" or "Markie"?  Glad to meet you.  Cheesy

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: September 11, 2014, 04:04:54 PM »

Off topic.  Grin

It's very cool to hear John and Paul talking about what I assume is "Tune X" .

They really did their homework

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: September 11, 2014, 04:14:25 PM »

Incredible, 5 star BBC review

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20140911-beach-boys-film-a-miracle

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #462 on: September 11, 2014, 04:19:16 PM »

Lagunitas Little Sumpin', please

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: September 11, 2014, 04:31:52 PM »

Ray likes Stella Artois. Upon his recommendation, I brought a 6-er home a few weekends ago and tried one. I'll save the rest for when I show up on his doorstep with it. Ray, are you still accepting visitors?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #464 on: September 11, 2014, 04:34:31 PM »

Ray likes Stella Artois. Upon his recommendation, I brought a 6-er home a few weekends ago and tried one. I'll save the rest for when I show up on his doorstep with it. Ray, are you still accepting visitors?

If you're serving Stella, Mikie, you need to get the Stella glass. It's designed specifically for enhancing the flavor of Stella. I have one, got it when I bought a case for a party a few years ago.

I'm still waiting on my Hoegaarden glass to arrive in the mail, the one I supposedly "won" online.  Roll Eyes

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Mark H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: September 11, 2014, 04:35:44 PM »

His name is spelt "Donny".  And I'm "Mikie".  And you're..........."Marky" or "Markie"?  Glad to meet you.  Cheesy

LOL  Marky!  Cheers and likewise!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #466 on: September 11, 2014, 04:37:52 PM »

This board's getting a rep as a place to avoid, and I can completely understand that.

This is something to be concerned about and address going forward. If it's not something for public viewing, anyone please feel free to contact me via private message or off the board to discuss the issues behind this.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #467 on: September 11, 2014, 04:56:27 PM »

Same here. I'm pretty approachable. ..i dont bite (unless you're made of food)

JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: September 11, 2014, 04:57:09 PM »

This board's getting a rep as a place to avoid, and I can completely understand that.

This is something to be concerned about and address going forward. If it's not something for public viewing, anyone please feel free to contact me via private message or off the board to discuss the issues behind this.

I think it's a blunt over reaction.  Those who choose to avoid the forum due to it's nature will avoid it while those who enjoy the temperament of the forum will continue to peruse it.  It's really no different from any other forum on the internet if you plot it on a bell curve.  You have a group of individuals all with opinions, being allowed to express those opinions (within the bounds of societal norms and good taste) freely.  You have some forum members who are more sensitive to criticism than others and then you have other forum members who feel the need to shout down the viewpoints of others at a regular clip.  Fortunately the moderators have done a bang up job of weeding out the individuals that occupy the second group.

In between these two extremes, you have the vast majority of the forum.  People who congregate here in hopes of exchanging ideas, sharing their passion over a common interest and generally having a good time.  The thing to remember at least in my opinion is that this isn't rocket science.  We are discussing a rock and roll band and our feelings regarding almost every aspect of said band.  We aren't looking to bloody noses or to provoke fights just for the sake of doing so.  We have passionate debates that like on any other internet forum can become adversarial in nature due to the aforementioned personalities of the parties involved.  There is nothing inherently extraordinary about this forum as far as that is concerned.  

If forum members are taking personal offense to another forum members actions then that is something that needs to be worked out preferably between the two parties involved.  More times than not it's the interaction between individual parties (which can oftentimes resolved amicably) and not the temperature of the entire forum which is the issue at hand.  To put it in layman's terms, some people are like "oil and water" and would be best not addressing each other on a public forum after it has been determined that more times than not any interaction between the parties results in conflict that derails the rest of the forum and brings the temperature in the room down to an icy chill.  This again goes back to what I mentioned about the other day about us all being adults and not needing a lecture from other forum members on how to conduct ourselves or compose our forum messages.  We should have all by now mastered the art of basic social interaction and as such are aware of the social boundaries that exist in terms of how to address one another.  The old phrases "attack the issue, not the person" and "don't say anything over a keyboard that you wouldn't say to someone's face" are extremely appropriate here.  Furthermore more times than not it's patently obvious when somebody crosses these social boundaries and those issues are the ones that should be dealt with through moderation in hopes of preserving the forum.  

However, in the main most issues that arise within the forum itself can be worked out between the dissenting parties.  Either through agreeing to disagree, the tacit knowledge that you can disagree with a person's viewpoints on a matter but still value the person themselves or simply avoiding forum members with whom you know you are likely to find conflict with.  We have what almost 3,000 members here?  Surely we can all find someone (if not many people) we enjoy conversing with.  

In summation the sky is not falling, the surf will undoubtedly continue to rise and fall and Mike Love will continue to be true to his school.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #469 on: September 11, 2014, 05:09:15 PM »

^ Well said John

startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: September 11, 2014, 06:03:35 PM »

Not saying anyone needs to treat the special guests with kid gloves or anything, but I think it's fair to say that most aren't exactly experienced message board users, so it's probably going to rub them the wrong way to use an attacking tone in a reply. And I took a couple of the responses to Debbie's posts as attacking, even if they weren't intended that way, so it's entirely possible and probable that she did too.

As someone who doesn't post often but reads this message board every day, I think the new information that special guests bring is very special. And it's something that most users with an outside view don't bring. Of course, posters with an outside view make this board readable on a daily basis.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #471 on: September 11, 2014, 06:17:34 PM »

I have been reading this thread, but rarely post to the board anymore because I would describe the general vibe to be somewhat hostile. Perhaps this is due to an admittedly small group of very active users displaying a general disrespectful tone. I've seen a lot of very interesting new posters 'chased away' ... I think some people get used to the 'locker room' style of conversing ... 'outsiders' can see it very plainly, but the posters who are 'in it' cannot recognize it, or don't see it as a problem. A little bit of groupthink or something maybe.

That said, I do feel that most people here are respectful and pleasant. It just seems that the ones who are not are the loudest and post the most often.

I think the board would be better served to treat others here the way they would treat them in person.

Considering that is not likely to happen, I think a heavily moderated approach would actually work well, with a non-moderated adjacent board. The brash posters would probably get moved (or banned or whatever) quickly, and/or lose interest in posting so often or change their tone.

Aside from that, most of the threads going on these days are just plain boring in my opinion (not this one)! I suspect the reasons for the lack of real content are related to the hostile environment.

Just my 2 cents.

Donny. At the risk of derailing this thread, but it's about the third time you've addressed this subject recently.

Please read my opinions on this subject above, especially concerning sensitive readers/posters, then please let me know what you think, OK?

My opinion: The board is just fine. The mods are just fine. Adjustments have already been made and it's for the better of everyone here. The world is not a nice place in some areas, but this board serves as somewhat of an escape - a sanctuary as it were. I see this board as a positive environment. I agree with your statement that most threads these days are somewhat boring for lack of real content. It's cyclic. The nature of the board. Soon there will be new stuff and opinions (positive and negative) will fly once more. If you don't like what a specific poster has to say, either skip over it or jump in and counter it with YOUR opinion, instead of hanging back for days/weeks and then whining and complaining about it on the board. Lively discussions are always welcome as far as I'm concerned, otherwise this, like you said, would be a pretty boring place.

Sure man -- I'm with you to some degree. Yes, I've brought it up before ... probably the last posts I've made over the past few months. Because I think it's important.

Where we disagree is the idea that the board is in good shape -- I don't think it is. I don't really consider myself a 'sensitive poster' ... I can pretty much hang with the weird locker room $hit, though ultimately I don't really like that kind of atmosphere.

Every time I've brought it up is when I see something going on as an observer, not as a participant. I've seen it happen so many times now, that you're right -- it's probably pointless to bring it up again. It's not like I'm on some crusade to clean up the board. It's basically that I don't post unless I feel I have something of value to add. And in threads like these, I see something begin that could lead to wonderful content and information, only for it to be derailed into weirdness.

So maybe Debbie Keil just came to say a few words and leave. But I can't help but wonder if her experiences here (past or present) were different, she may have hung out a little longer.

I'm with ya, Donny.  You know, The Bay Area contingent should be on the same wavelength, and I think we are in agreement for the most part.

Only a handful (or less) of you guys here have the extensive knowledge of recording equipment (especially analog) and the recording process, and how Brian and Chuck Britz and Larry Levine tracked and mixed records. Maybe you can start a new thread or rejuvenate an old one on the subject. I, for one, enjoy the hell out of reading that stuff. Have somewhat limited knowledge, but would like to know more! Use to enjoy Josh's contributions on the subject, but unfortunately it looks like he bailed. I don't think you'd see much arguing going on on a thread like that! c Smiley

Yes, those kinds of threads are a good example of what I'm talking about. They were basically a few of us asking a bunch of questions, coming up with a bunch of theories, and kind of not really getting anywhere ... because some of the people who may have the answers are not posting. Yes, there are many reasons beyond the tone of board, but I really believe that is part of it.

If I ever come up with any great info ... regarding questions like, 'Where was Pet Sounds mixed?' (such a basic question!), I will surely start a thread about it. I did notice in one of the photos from the 'Love and Mercy' movie, they got the Columbia 8-track tape machine correct -- which is quite a feat. It was custom made from Ampex PR-10/354 stereo electronics mated to a 300 transport -- a one-off. So they either got the original machine, or created one from parts. Possible that Columbia made more than one of these, or that some other person/studio made one in the same way, so don't bet any money that it's the original machine!

PS - I'm in Portland, OR now. I sure do miss Oakland/SF/Berkeley ... even San Leandro!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 06:20:35 PM by DonnyL » Logged

Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: September 11, 2014, 06:26:42 PM »

I do think the tone of the board can be a bit snarky. I've been here for a few years but have a relatively low post count because I just don't feel like engaging in mud slinging over my favorite band. A simple statement like "I don't really care for X" gets you 10 people insisting that you must not be a "real fan."  There's nothing wrong with having opposing opinions. There's also nothing wrong with treating each other with respect while expressing them.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: September 11, 2014, 06:35:51 PM »

Before I begin I want to state for the record that what I'm about to post should not be viewed as a personal attack of any sort and I am merely using your post as a jumping off point as you do raise a number of good issues.

Not saying anyone needs to treat the special guests with kid gloves or anything, but I think it's fair to say that most aren't exactly experienced message board users

If you could identity the party that is to blame for this (if any) it would be helpful in finding a resolution to the issue at hand.  The problem is I personally am not sure if there is a guilty party in this matter.  We live in the age in which communication over a keyboard is becoming more and more the norm and a skill that many more people are becoming adept at than not. While I have sympathy and understanding for the novice, when you enter the forum you should at least have some understanding as to how internet forums in general function.  If anything you should realize that they are not always accurate predictors of social interaction but more of a social brainstorming for lack of a better term where people ask questions, debate and interact with one another in hopes of furthering discussion of the topic at hand.

And I took a couple of the responses to Debbie's posts as attacking, even if they weren't intended that way, so it's entirely possible and probable that she did too.

This is where subjectivity comes into play.  When speaking of individual personalities that comprise a group it's impossible to dilute the entire group down to the lowest common denominator where everyone addresses everyone else in a type of manner which could be agreed upon by all members of the group as being non-offensive.  "Treating others the way you wish to be treated yourself" is good advice but what it does not allow for is the notion of subjectivity which demonstrates what one might find a perfectly acceptable means of conversing could very easily strike another as a post which is of an antagonizing nature.  Therefore what satisfies one forum member will more often than not fail to satisfy the next.  Which is why these situations are best taken at face value and can be analyzed as individual cases rather than painting these situations with a wide brush.  

As someone who doesn't post often but reads this message board every day, I think the new information that special guests bring is very special. And it's something that most users with an outside view don't bring. Of course, posters with an outside view make this board readable on a daily basis.

You bring up two very good points here.  First hand knowledge is important and should be regarded as such.  It allows the forum members to access concrete knowledge and answers to questions which otherwise may be left up for speculation and opinion.  However one of the hallmarks of being able to learn from one another as a group is the ability for the members of the forum to question matters which to them don't make sense or don't jive with their viewpoints on the matter.  While knowledge is indeed power, what is in fact more powerful is the opportunity to question that knowledge in hopes of accessing truth.  Essentially one entity doesn't exist without the other.  There is of course a distinct difference between questioning someone's opinions or statements and questioning just to antagonize another party.  But once again, the differences between these two forms of questioning are usually quite evident right from the very start.  

Edit: And with that I think I'm done with this discussion as I probably haven't told anyone anything they didn't already know.  Apologies in advance for any feathers I may have ruffled in this thread as the song goes: "I sure don't wanna hurt no one"
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 06:44:56 PM by JohnMill » Logged

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: September 11, 2014, 07:25:04 PM »

Don't know if this has been posted yet, interview from the Variety YouTube channel:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBbHzjkQZzY
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 79 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx