gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 10:11:20 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 79 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love and Mercy - News and Reviews - First clip is out.  (Read 510299 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #375 on: September 10, 2014, 07:47:18 PM »

Yes, the Liongate story has been confirmed.  Awesome news!!!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: September 10, 2014, 07:48:36 PM »

She seemed to come in with the mindset of making a few posts and leaving anyway.

I think so too.
 Yeah...she only wanted to set the record straight regarding Brian ...had no intention of sticking around,  and it had nothing to do with being offended or any posts that were made. No harm,  no foul.

Good to know.

I am almost as eager to hear the soundtrack as I am to hear Brian's new album for some reason.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #377 on: September 10, 2014, 08:05:50 PM »

Equally for me....he could put out an album of him reading the phone book and I'd still want it, but the fact that we got an album coming out of music that he is over the moon for, and also have a film about him that's getting rave reviews, AND an autobiography...well, it's like 1995 again for me.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: September 10, 2014, 08:12:56 PM »

so my question is this: did they use the original Beach Boys masters or did Brian Re-record the songs for the movie? or a mixture of both?
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #379 on: September 10, 2014, 08:45:22 PM »

so my question is this: did they use the original Beach Boys masters or did Brian Re-record the songs for the movie? or a mixture of both?

This was covered a few pages ago, check it out.  Wink

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: September 10, 2014, 09:02:35 PM »

ok... cool..
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #381 on: September 10, 2014, 09:17:00 PM »

ok... cool..

Josh, I hope my reply didn't come off as facetious or sarcastic or anything because it wasn't meant that way, but if you check out specifically pages 7-8 of this thread you'll get some of the info and a photo.  Smiley

I don't *think* Brian himself re-recorded anything for the film, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: September 10, 2014, 09:39:28 PM »

I understand that Brian isn't a vegetable. I get it. But I feel we're bending too much to the other side of the coin. He still is mentally ill.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: September 10, 2014, 09:59:50 PM »

Just depression or other things?

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #384 on: September 10, 2014, 10:02:55 PM »

I understand that Brian isn't a vegetable. I get it. But I feel we're bending too much to the other side of the coin. He still is mentally ill.

And your point is...what, exactly? I found that insulting and not for the reasons some might think. If you know someone personally who is fighting an alcohol addiction, do you go around reminding people he or she is an alcoholic?

If you want to stir the sh*t, it isn't going to happen here on the basis of posts worded like that. Just sayin'.

Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: September 10, 2014, 10:07:04 PM »

This film seems to be generating such positive buzz that I can't help but wonder if Lion's Gate might try to get this into some theaters by year's end to qualify for awards consideration. I think the fact that a distribution deal came so quickly is a very good sign that could happen. I have my fingers crossed anyway.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: September 10, 2014, 10:29:03 PM »

She seemed to come in with the mindset of making a few posts and leaving anyway. 

I think so too.

I just wanted to ask her if Brian ever, finally got his chicken.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #387 on: September 10, 2014, 10:36:36 PM »

Just woken up, and caught up, and I have this to say: what is wrong with some of us ? We get people here who were involved, really do know what happened (as opposed to the likes of me spinning whole cloth out of woefully incomplete thread) and take the time and trouble to post... and they get grief. Frankly I'm surprised no-one's taken a pop at Ray, Matt or Scotty T yet. Debra has a unique insight into Brian's life, but I for one will be astonished if she ever posts here again, and that's a great loss. I shudder to think what might transpire if Alan, Mike or Brian decided to drop by. Actually, I think I do know exactly what the response would be - "yeah, right, of course you are, get the **** outta here".

I don't know about any other boards devoted to bands, but here we have some pivotal people posting, and now and then we take it for granted and don't afford them their due respect. Madness.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: September 10, 2014, 10:43:34 PM »

You know, we're 10 years post BWPS. Amazing really, but time flies (especially in media cycle years). The 2012 tour woke up a lot of people to the band's legacy, and BWPS woke up a whole new demographic on Brian's studio artistry (to take nothing away from the band themselves). Hopefully this movie will engage, reengage, and remind everyone of the inspirational saga of the BW career arc.

Ray, the behind-the-scenes info is illuminating and fascinating. Thank you for that. Just when you think you've heard the story, now you know...the rest of the story.

The real interesting chapter will the new, improved auto biography. Beyond the music, there's so much internal dynamics that we can only ponder and conjecture. Brian has never fully dropped the veil and really truly opened up - circa BWPS, and subsequently with the Smile box, I always found Brian's recollections wanting (whether by design or not). Compare that with Pete Townsend's deeply fascinating and rambling explanations (and contradictions) on the stillborn Lifehouse. I always loved those Rolling Stone stream of consciousness interviews of his. Yet with Brian, there's always a little held back. This of course adds to the mystique, the riddle. Anything and everything that reveals the inner Brian Wilson is fascinating to me.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: September 10, 2014, 10:57:06 PM »

And your point is...what, exactly? I found that insulting and not for the reasons some might think. If you know someone personally who is fighting an alcohol addiction, do you go around reminding people he or she is an alcoholic?

If you want to stir the sh*t, it isn't going to happen here on the basis of posts worded like that. Just sayin'.

Maybe I would so that they wouldn't give booze to my personal friend.

I feel a certain hostility to simply mentioning that Brian isn't a 100% independent adult. He isn't and hasn't been for almost five decades.

How is that stirring the sh*t when we've been reading about it with microscopical detail for some decades, a bit during the Marylin era, a whole lot during Landy and a whole lot more in the last 20 years? You can only save someone who needs help.

Well, before you accuse me of 'hating' Brian, just ignore this post and I'll drop it altogether. Truce?

Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: September 10, 2014, 11:09:08 PM »

Has this been posted? Totally glowing review here:
http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captured/review-john-cusack-and-paul-dano-give-voice-to-brian-wilsons-broken-soul-in-love-mercy?hf_exp=social_title_off&title=Review%3A%20John%20Cusack%20and%20Paul%20Dano%20give%20voice%20to%20Brian%20Wilson%27s%20broken%20soul%20in%20%27Love%20%26%20Mercy%27

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: September 10, 2014, 11:11:35 PM »

Just woken up, and caught up, and I have this to say: what is wrong with some of us ? We get people here who were involved, really do know what happened (as opposed to the likes of me spinning whole cloth out of woefully incomplete thread) and take the time and trouble to post... and they get grief. Frankly I'm surprised no-one's taken a pop at Ray, Matt or Scotty T yet. Debra has a unique insight into Brian's life, but I for one will be astonished if she ever posts here again, and that's a great loss. I shudder to think what might transpire if Alan, Mike or Brian decided to drop by. Actually, I think I do know exactly what the response would be - "yeah, right, of course you are, get the **** outta here".

I don't know about any other boards devoted to bands, but here we have some pivotal people posting, and now and then we take it for granted and don't afford them their due respect. Madness.

Yeah, I couldn't believe that sh*t either. Just left me shaking my head.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: September 10, 2014, 11:28:58 PM »

Yeah, I couldn't believe that sh*t either. Just left me shaking my head.

In agreement. This place can be like a great bar serving the finest ales - attracts the great and the good, poets and thinkers, obsessives and historians, players and (in the past) even team members, and those of us who come to sip at the nectar. And after a match, it attracts a lot of fans and a little tipsy behaviour. We're all here for the same thing, just with different attitudes and goals. I hope we can all drink here without spoiling it for the players occasionally.

“We live in divisive times.”
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #393 on: September 11, 2014, 12:07:40 AM »

Well said.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #394 on: September 11, 2014, 12:09:12 AM »

Maybe I would so that they wouldn't give booze to my personal friend.

I feel a certain hostility to simply mentioning that Brian isn't a 100% independent adult. He isn't and hasn't been for almost five decades.

How is that stirring the sh*t when we've been reading about it with microscopical detail for some decades, a bit during the Marylin era, a whole lot during Landy and a whole lot more in the last 20 years? You can only save someone who needs help.

Well, before you accuse me of 'hating' Brian, just ignore this post and I'll drop it altogether. Truce?

No truce. Don't patronize me or anyone here like that.

This is the deal: You saw in the past 24 hours several people come to this board, to this specific discussion, on their own initiative, to post about someone who they know as a friend. Not as a rock legend, not as a reclusive musical genius, not as a star, but as a friend.

It provided some of the best conversation and information I have ever seen on this board. Direct, no bullshit information from people who actually know the man personally.

That is what this board can and could be known for.

Tonight, I see a post (from you) reminding people here - including those who have known the man personally for decades - that Brian Wilson is still mentally ill. Driving that point into the ground and reminding people here of it on a regular basis must be akin to "seeing the other side of the coin", as the flip side of the coin must be describing Brian living his everyday life as he does and chooses to do, with the people he loves and chooses to be with.

I find it insulting, I found it insulting to read a reminder like that in the context of this thread which is discussing a movie about Brian's life and the issues he's dealt with, and I'm calling it out as something I don't see as necessary nor welcome in this context.

It's not about hating or loving anyone, it's about seeing things in context and choosing what may or may not be appropriate in light of the situation.

This board can be known for the posts and conversations on the previous 4-5 pages or so, or it can be known as a place where unnecessary reminders that "Brian is still mentally ill" in that context are posted in order to show both sides of some imaginary coin, or the standard of imagined fairness that coin represents in some fantastic way I must not get.

First, I don't see the point to reminding anyone here of things everyone knows and has known up to and including the man who just had the film made about him in the way it was done above, and second, I don't want the board to be known for that kind of thing.

If I'm alone in that opinion, I'm happy to stand alone in that opinion. That's my take.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #395 on: September 11, 2014, 12:25:12 AM »

Not alone. The man has brought so much joy to my life, and i find it a bit disrespectful. Nobody is discounting the fact that he has his struggles, but he's working through it. It is a daily struggle,  and i respect him as much for that as i do for his outstanding body of work.

18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: September 11, 2014, 12:33:11 AM »

Not alone. The man has brought so much joy to my life, and i find it a bit disrespectful. Nobody is discounting the fact that he has his struggles, but he's working through it. It is a daily struggle,  and i respect him as much for that as i do for his outstanding body of work.

I concur. I cant find anything more to say at this point.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 12:53:05 PM by 18thofMay » Logged

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: September 11, 2014, 01:17:34 AM »

It's not like the fact that Brian's movie got good to great reviews gave me this urge to crap on its thread. I think every post in this forum is worthy, no matter if you're a dumbass who doesn't know how many singles were released from the Surf's Up LP or if you're an insider. I like Ray's posts, but they're often greeted with (paraphrasing) "Finally someone who knows what hes talking about! You read it folks, this crap about Brian having handlers is total bullshit!". You know, if someone wants to believe that Brian's a manipulated vegetable, so be it. This person doesn't have to be shushed and convinced to cut the crap. Now Debbie Keil enters and leaves in a huff, just like she intended to, and there's this crisis about how we should have nurtured her affiliation. I don't know.

I take offense at being accused of repeatedly mentioning Brian's mental illness. That's not the case at all, but it doesn't matter. I apologize for my first post and will only post in this thread again after I watch the movie, no matter what the replies are. Estou gordo como uma vaca, como eu fui ficar assim?

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #398 on: September 11, 2014, 02:27:04 AM »

I'm not going to pretend to know what the last thing translates to in English, so I'll leave it alone.

Now Debbie Keil enters and leaves in a huff, just like she intended to, and there's this crisis about how we should have nurtured her affiliation
She didn't intend to leave in a huff; she wanted to set the record straight on a few things, and there was a misunderstanding afterwards that has since been straightened out.

As for the rest, well, it came across as here we are celebrating Brian, and you basically are accusing us of forgetting that he has struggled with mental illness. As I said earlier, nobody here is discounting that or taking that lightly. Hell, that's what the movie is about to begin with! Out of the blue, you post

when nobody was denying that in the first place!  I can't speak for others, but as for me, that's what I myself took offense to. Why even bring that up? We know he has had problems. Nobody here was saying 'oh, he's 100% fine and every day is a breeze'.

And of course people like Ray and Debbie are going to try to clear things up..,how would you feel if there was misinformation about a close friend of yours?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 02:32:34 AM by ♯♫♩♬ » Logged

Seaside Woman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: September 11, 2014, 03:39:15 AM »

Thank you, Ray. I remember Melinda talking about this in an interview (maybe it was Larry King?). She said Brian had used her phone to call a family member and that's how she got the family member's number. She subsequently tried to call the family member in an attempt to get help for Brian.

Melinda, when she was posting on the Blueboard also recounted this story. She said the only way she could get the family involved was when they realized the will had been changed. Can anyone else remember this? Did you see that particular post Amy?

Quick edit: Thanks to Ray and Debbie for their efforts in getting the truth out there. I loved reading every word...
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 03:51:42 AM by JS1 » Logged

Caretaker in an aesthetic prison of my own dimension.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 79 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx