gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:27:59 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 79 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love and Mercy - News and Reviews - First clip is out.  (Read 508269 times)
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #325 on: September 10, 2014, 11:36:25 AM »

Brian makes music.  Does he also have to be his own attorney to make some of you happy?  He's not some little nobody.  What we love that Brian produces involves financial and legal issues.  I'm glad he leaves these thing to professionals in those arenas. Let's leave this to the grown-ups, okay?
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: September 10, 2014, 11:37:18 AM »

Regarding Ray Lawlor's welcome post a few pages back about Melinda, just have to say that when I met her briefly backstage at Brian's 2005 Montreal concert (at the time of my avatar at left), I could tell she was a really, really kind woman with great love for Brian.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 11:39:33 AM by Joel Goldenberg » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: September 10, 2014, 11:41:58 AM »

Brian makes music.  Does he also have to be his own attorney to make some of you happy?  He's not some little nobody.  What we love that Brian produces involves financial and legal issues.  I'm glad he leaves these thing to professionals in those arenas. Let's leave this to the grown-ups, okay?
Now, I am not saying this to be smarta**, but why are you taking offense at something I stated that the other Beach Boys did/do that Brian does not? Are/Were they not composers/musicians/band members too? I was just stating the difference of what we are/were used to with the band versus the way Brian does things. I'm making no judgments here, just stating the differences.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: September 10, 2014, 11:55:28 AM »

...Let's leave this to the grown-ups, okay?

You had me up until this point. Not sure why the condescension is needed to make your point.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #329 on: September 10, 2014, 11:57:10 AM »

You guys seriously wanna pick a fight? Yeesh.
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #330 on: September 10, 2014, 12:01:58 PM »

My point was that now you are into legal and financial issues and there is no way I'm going there.  They don't belong here and I'm done posting.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: September 10, 2014, 12:11:05 PM »

Ugh, you guys

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #332 on: September 10, 2014, 12:14:00 PM »

Let's be friends...let's be friends...lets be friiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeennnnnnnnnnnndddddddddddddssssssssssssssss

Okay, so it doesn't have the same ring in print that it does when the Boys are singing it, but let's play along!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: September 10, 2014, 12:16:53 PM »

I hope you aren't referring to my post. I don't feel like I was picking a fight. I just find the phrase "Let's leave this to the grown-ups, okay?" a bit patronizing. It's the Libra in me I guess. I certainly agree with (and appreciate) everything else Debbie Keil-Leavitt posted.  Smiley
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: September 10, 2014, 12:20:18 PM »

THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: September 10, 2014, 12:23:35 PM »

I hope you aren't referring to my post. I don't feel like I was picking a fight. I just find the phrase "Let's leave this to the grown-ups, okay?" a bit patronizing. It's the Libra in me I guess. I certainly agree with (and appreciate) everything else Debbie Keil-Leavitt posted.  Smiley

She seemed to come in with the mindset of making a few posts and leaving anyway. 
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: September 10, 2014, 12:24:28 PM »

The Professor's bias is clear: I resist any narratives that, in the current climate, might continue to prevent a BB reunion and next album.  I evaluate the film according to how it will further alienate the boys from each other.

I disagree. Anything that raises the public profile of the Beach Boys should only help to increase the chances for further projects with BW by way of offering larger deals, guarantees, and potential paydays.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: September 10, 2014, 12:27:17 PM »

Has George Benson ever commented on Landy?
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #338 on: September 10, 2014, 12:28:35 PM »

Before this spins too far off course, I want to state something that is a fact and can be proven easily. All entertainers have managers, agents, lawyers, publicists, and booking agents not to mention other professionals working on their behalf.

This includes Brian, Mike, Al, John Stamos, and whoever else in the Beach Boys realm we want to include.

The actual artist has final say, but before they agree to play a show, before they book a recording session, before they give an interview with the local newspaper or radio station, these people working for them do what they are paid to do. This includes going over the details, the legalities, the decisions, etc...

Because ultimately there are legal and contractual issues that go beyond someone saying "Hey, let's play a show on the 15th!". And before that actually happens, there are procedures that have to be followed in order to make things happen.

Let's not assume one member or another has a different structure within or surrounding anything related to them or the Beach Boys in a business or professional sense without having a management and legal "team" working on their behalf. Because it's pretty much standard for all entertainers to have teams of people that are paid to handle all of the details that need to be handled before an event is scheduled or planned.

That's pretty much a fact industry-wide whenever money changes hands.

"Have my people call your people", standard practice.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: September 10, 2014, 12:38:34 PM »

Sorry, I just tried to explain why some people see it that way. I never agreed with it, still don't, but I can see why some people think that way. As we see here all the time, not everyone looks at things the same way. We all see the same things through different eyes. My post wasn't meant to offend anyone, so my apologies to you, Ms. Keil-Leavitt, as apparently you were.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: September 10, 2014, 12:40:46 PM »

Another great headline for the movie...

The Washington Post

At film festival, Bill Murray makes a splash, but Brian Wilson biopic steals the show

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/at-film-festival-bill-murray-makes-a-splash-but-brian-wilson-biopic-steals-the-show/2014/09/10/f1e4a52e-3878-11e4-8601-97ba88884ffd_story.html

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #341 on: September 10, 2014, 12:46:09 PM »

George Benson mentions him in his autobiography and has commented in other sources as well. A man named Harry Tepper was in partnership with Landy when Landy was 19 and Benson was 10, and the Tepper/Landy team found Benson in Pittsburgh and wanted to take George to New York to cut a record. At that time Benson only had a cheap acoustic guitar and came from a family of limited means, so getting to see and play "real" instruments was a major thing for a ten year old kid in Pittsburgh, not to mention getting to record.

He said Landy was a womanizer, a strong personality, a huckster who could sell anything.

Among Landy's requests for taking on Benson's career at that age was having the family sign Power Of Attorney forms that gave Landy control over all of George's money earned and correspondence, including his mail. In one source Benson said his family didn't trust Landy.

In another source, it said Benson (or his family, whatever the case) eventually fired Landy for being too controlling.

Beyond that, I'd check George's autobiography and other sources for more direct quotes. But I think that summary covers it, corrections welcome.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: September 10, 2014, 12:54:10 PM »

Another great headline for the movie...

The Washington Post

At film festival, Bill Murray makes a splash, but Brian Wilson biopic steals the show

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/at-film-festival-bill-murray-makes-a-splash-but-brian-wilson-biopic-steals-the-show/2014/09/10/f1e4a52e-3878-11e4-8601-97ba88884ffd_story.html

Wow - that's huge praise!

'Among the many smart, sophisticated, deeply moving films that have become TIFF reliables, “Love & Mercy” — which just sold to Lionsgate on Wednesday — was an unexpected, undisputed triumph.'

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
beacharg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: September 10, 2014, 12:57:33 PM »

First 'not so great' review I've read so far:

"This is by no means a classic, and I still can’t shake the familiar feeling that you’re better off listening to a run of Beach Boys records and reading up on the history than sitting through 2 hours of biopic slush, but Love & Mercy isn’t a bad film."

Complete in: http://blog.film4.com/tiff-2014-love-mercy/

Hopefully I think it's just a blog, not a top critic.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: September 10, 2014, 01:08:03 PM »

"This is by no means a classic, and I still can’t shake the familiar feeling that you’re better off listening to a run of Beach Boys records and reading up on the history than sitting through 2 hours of biopic slush, but Love & Mercy isn’t a bad film."

Still quite a good review considering.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: September 10, 2014, 01:19:15 PM »

Indeed, and at worst he wants you to go listen to the Beach Boys. We're good either way. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
beacharg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: September 10, 2014, 01:22:44 PM »

Indeed, and at worst he wants you to go listen to the Beach Boys. We're good either way. Wink

Grin I know, I know, I just wanted to show that even the "worst" review so far isn't a bad one.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: September 10, 2014, 01:35:53 PM »

Ray and Debbie, thank you for 2 of the best posts I've ever read on this board.  Grin. Please keep sharing your insights with us.  And thanks again to Brian for being a survivor and doing what he's always done, make great music and inspire those around him.

I also Melinda at a Brian show in 2002 in Glasgow.  She was sitting behind me and kindly allowed me to jump in beside her and have my picture taken with her!  To me, she has always had Brian's best interests at heart and I for one am glad Brian met her.
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: September 10, 2014, 01:58:24 PM »

George Benson mentions him in his autobiography and has commented in other sources as well. A man named Harry Tepper was in partnership with Landy when Landy was 19 and Benson was 10, and the Tepper/Landy team found Benson in Pittsburgh and wanted to take George to New York to cut a record. At that time Benson only had a cheap acoustic guitar and came from a family of limited means, so getting to see and play "real" instruments was a major thing for a ten year old kid in Pittsburgh, not to mention getting to record.

He said Landy was a womanizer, a strong personality, a huckster who could sell anything.

Among Landy's requests for taking on Benson's career at that age was having the family sign Power Of Attorney forms that gave Landy control over all of George's money earned and correspondence, including his mail. In one source Benson said his family didn't trust Landy.

In another source, it said Benson (or his family, whatever the case) eventually fired Landy for being too controlling.

Beyond that, I'd check George's autobiography and other sources for more direct quotes. But I think that summary covers it, corrections welcome.
Thanks for the reply, greatly appreciated!!
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: September 10, 2014, 03:51:05 PM »

THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS

Exactly.

Someone who actually knows Brian and was a part of their history comes here and shares her perspective gets run off because they don't like what she has to say.

Stay classy, guys!

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 79 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx