gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:09:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 79 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love and Mercy - News and Reviews - First clip is out.  (Read 508210 times)
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: September 10, 2014, 01:49:27 AM »

Is Brian close to Carnie and Wendy now?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRQBfdbyjuA
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: September 10, 2014, 01:54:40 AM »

Oh, he meant physically?

Then the answer is yes, sometimes but not all the time.

No mas, por favor.
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: September 10, 2014, 04:26:22 AM »

Thank you for that, Ray. I generally don't like to speak ill of the dead, but in Landy's case, I hope he brought plenty of sunblock for where he's at now. What a horrible, horrible excuse for a human being. I'm happy that Brian managed to get away from him.

Couldnt agree more about Landy....horrible excuse for a human being.  He was diabolically brilliant; he assesed the situation and immediately recognized what he could get away with ( the second time) .  What a charlatan

We like to cast Murry or Capitol records or Mike in the role of villain at various times in Brian's story, but no one can hold a candle to that despicably slimy excuse for a human being.

Is the general consensus out there that Dr. Landy never truly helped anyone period?

Himself. That's it.

This !   

Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: September 10, 2014, 05:02:33 AM »

In response to AGD's post earlier

Andrew;

Your dates are correct with regard to the filing of the lawsuit initiated by Carl, Audree, Wendy and Carnie. And yes, Melinda was officially cut off, by Landy, from Brian , starting 1989 , until they got together in 1993. What nobody could possibly know (actually maybe three or four people know) is what was going on “off radar”, or behind the scenes at that time; I was “in the mix” during that period and I remember it all too vividly. I have never said a word about it, but it is time I did.

First of all, it is abject fiction that she never saw Brian after being banned by Landy in 1989. Melinda had her own house in Malibu, which was three miles from the dump that Landy had Brian living in; and it was a dump. Brian had to jog six miles daily; the Landy goons were at specific checkpoints all the time; hell, they weren’t running.  He and Melinda saw each other constantly, on the sly. Brian would sneak to a phone booth and call her, and they would meet; albeit briefly; topic was always a progress report on getting him out of there, and of course, encouragement for Brian in such a sick , twisted situation. Remember; he was forbidden by this sicko to contact his family; so the two of them devised a system that worked.

Melinda (then) Ledbetter, met Brian in 1986 ; dated him until Landy found out in 1989 that ,not only was their relationship very serious, but also she was on to him and the bullshit he was doing to Brian; and had been on to him for some time. She was quickly and effectively blocked from all contact with Brian ,or so he thought, as shown above. During that time, both prior to being doused by Landy and after, she tried several times, unsuccessfully, to get the family involved in ousting this bastard. I remember that she got Audree’s cell number off her carphone bill, when Brian tried, unsuccessfully , to try and contact her; I also remember that Audree thought that Mike Love had put her up to calling ! By then it was pretty apparent that eliminating Landy would be a daunting task, as it was difficult to figure out who to trust, and who would weasel her out to Landy. Finally, she contacted the Attorney General, State of California, who told her what she already knew; that she needed to get Brian’s family onboard; without family involvement and consent, nothing could happen, and to that end, gave her Carl’s attorney’s information, Ross Schwartz and Jody Leslie.

Anyway, Melinda then had a few preliminary meetings, I believe, with Ross Schwartz, but soon found that Jody Leslie was “all ears” and was committed to help. It was Jody Leslie who finally convinced the family they needed to step in, after Melinda hand delivered Brian’s will to her, which had been given to Melinda by Andy Dean, one of Brian’s ‘bodyguards”, who developed a conscience after his girlfriend pushed him to help Melinda. This will had been dramatically altered by Landy, whereas he and his girlfriend/wife, Alexandra Morgan, became beneficiaries of 80% of Brian’s estate; Carnie and Wendy were left with 10% each; prior to that, the bulk of the estate went to Carnie and Wendy , with I believe , a smaller portion left to Carl. It was then that the family started the ball rolling with the conservatorship filing; additionally Carl was determined not to let Stan Love take custody of Brian.  This all started in 1989; even though blocked by Landy from seeing Brian, Melinda was relentless is trying to get him the hell out of there. She was asked by Jody Leslie to set up Landy getting served the conservancy papers at the Cadillac dealership; she was so scared of Landy by that time that when he arrived, she was in her office , doors locked , hiding under the desk, afraid of Landy’s erratic behavior. I know that there was a time, just before she was cut off from Brian, that she was secretly taping the mandatory Landy meetings, just in case something happened to her ; it was scary stuff.  I had to go through that bastard twice to see Brian ; I live in New York but Los Angeles was too close for me with Landy; he was that crazy ; I don’t know how she dealt with him , but to her eternal credit she did.
Anyone who loves Brian’s music owes, at minimum, a “thank you” to Melinda Wilson; without her perseverance in exposing Landy and getting the family involved, Brian would be long gone. Think about it; Landy was pumping him full up with all those meds and making him run six miles a day all jacked up ; it was only a matter of time before his heart gave out, or had a stroke.

Her role in getting Brian away from Landy should not and cannot be denigrated or minimized. The vitriol for Melinda Wilson by some on this board is uncalled for, usually over the top and misguided; personally I don’t get it, but from now on when it happens, I, for one, will have her back , armed with the facts.

Finally; I was reading in a few posts wondering what Brian’s reaction to the film was.  Here you go:  “I really liked the movie because the real life was so much worse”.

That's the second person who was there who's picked me up on my statement concerning Melinda not being either in touch or part of the process, and I'm equally grateful to both for setting me, us and much more importantly, the historical record, straight. When the sources and info are this credible, I have no problem whatsoever with being told to STFU, in private or in public.  Grin

One of the other ,unfortunately less known historical facts about "Dr." Landy is that one of his patients, Scott Newman , commited suicide either while under Landy's program or just after it. I am fairly certain about that. Scott's father was Paul Newman.  As you stated in your other post, Landy helped himself , that is it. I used to say that Landy saved Brian's life, but I no longer feel that way. At the end of the day , he got Brian to lose weight; twice.

In 1976 I went to see Brian at the bellagio house; when he came to the door he said that he couldnt hang out at all unless it was cleared by his doctor, and gave me Landy's number. So I had to go get interviewed by this guy ; what a bizarre experience.  All Landy wanted to know was what drugs I was doing (none) , how many women I had slept with (not nearly enough ) and why I wanted to record with Brian Wilson (I didnt).  He wanted to know how I got from NY to LA (Pan Am) and finally wanted to know would I be giving Brian any alcohol.  I felt like I was talking to a Warden on speed. So Landy said "you have my blessing, go on back to the house, I will tell Brian you are approved". So as I am walking out of this charlatan's office, I literally walk straight into his next patient, or rather victim, who at that time was literally the most famous actress in the world. I remember thinking to myself " she is seeing this quack ?? Holy s..t"   You cant make this stuff up
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: September 10, 2014, 05:22:59 AM »

Tatum O'Neal right?  LOL...
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: September 10, 2014, 07:44:43 AM »

Ray, thank you so much for all of your contributions to this board. It is, genuinely, a breath of fresh air.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #306 on: September 10, 2014, 07:59:39 AM »

I posted one time on this Board to defend Brian when someone accused him of “seeing me” when I was under-aged, which was untrue.  I have not chosen to post since for two reasons.  One was privacy for me, my family and friends.  The other reason was that I was made aware recently of a few supposed “fans” saying the most demeaning things about Brian, someone they supposedly loved and admired, on this Board.  So, I have to question their true motivation…this Board appeared dangerous. 

Then they attacked who I can only assume were Melinda, Jean Sievers and Brian’s attorney with the idiotic term “handlers.”  But with Ray’s recent courageous post, I felt I should speak up as well, once again.  It’s time, as clearly some of you do truly appreciate Brian and those who love him.  Whoever those other posters are, well “have at it” but I likely won’t respond.

First of all, I have seen some people imply that Brian has “lost it” and that others have been writing his music, here and elsewhere.  I was there during what some, possibly even Brian, would call his worst period aside from the Landy days.  He NEVER lost that magical ability to create heart-stopping beauty at inspired times.  He would go to the piano and I was literally frozen-in-place by what I heard.  The man has a gift I don’t even begin to grasp that takes us to the sublime, and I am thankful for this everyday.  Brian’s band is superb and supportive, but I find Brian’s work unmistakable and the man is working.

I also feel I must address this drug-addled Brian some of you seem to think existed or exists today.  I didn’t know Brian until 1969, but drugs that weren’t prescribed to him only appeared once in my experiences with him over many years.  Granted, he was protective of me, but still, this was clearly NOT a drug-crazed man.  Some of the prescribed drugs he was on were brutal, but those days are long, long over.  He has great doctors now.  Something Melinda deserves massive credit for accomplishing.

Describing Brian as “out of it” couldn’t be further from the truth.  The exact opposite is his blessing and his curse.  The man doesn’t miss anything, no matter how subtle, going on around him.  That’s how he’s touched all of us so deeply, to the point that scientists and doctors in fact reported on NPR and in various films of his music’s actual healing effects.

Imagine that level of sensitivity, the brave vulnerability and the spirit of generosity that it takes for him to be in this world, courageously performing in front of large crowds while also putting his heart and soul on the line again and again with his music, knowing what that can “bring down on him.”  Melinda has said it and I will say it as well, “Brian is the most courageous person I know.”

Brian gives us love, beauty and immense “mercy” every day.  Just being able to work under those conditions doesn’t require “handlers,” it requires a strong line of defense against the jealous, the greedy and the just plain mean-of-spirit, needy people who arise around a bright light such as Brian.  With people like Melinda and Ray he has that now.  (And heaven knows, he needs his great attorney. I will leave it at that!)

I want to offer my deepest love and gratitude to all of them – all brave, good people who deserve respect, and - from what I can gather though I haven’t seen it - they also deserve the extraordinary “Love & Mercy” film by Pohlad, Moverman and that amazing cast. 

People often ask me if I’m shocked that Brian is the “last Wilson standing.”  Not at all, I always knew his strength in spite of the unimaginable.  The man lived a frikkin’ resurrection story through “Smile” for all of us.  You’d think that would have evoked a bit of lasting praise.  He may not “point at you in the audience” for some sort of thrill (I would guess) when he performs.  Sorry, it’s not what the man does.  He’s not about little ego strokes, for himself or anyone else.  In the end they are pretty useless anyway, at least in my experience. 

Maybe just a genuine thanks to Brian for sticking with us all these years would be appropriate at this point - and for his amazing willingness to continue to work, bringing us profound joy.  Brian and Melinda know that I love and respect them.  That feels really good - the ultimate fulfillment for me after all these years.  It’s up to you if you’d like to join me or not.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #307 on: September 10, 2014, 08:03:04 AM »

Thank you for that...very well said!

-Billy

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: September 10, 2014, 08:55:28 AM »

That was a fantastic post, thanks for that

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: September 10, 2014, 09:02:46 AM »

Hot damn! This is some thread
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: September 10, 2014, 09:07:32 AM »

Thank you very much for post mrs. Keil. Much appreciated giving your opinion here !

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: September 10, 2014, 09:15:45 AM »

Thanks Debbie for sharing this information.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: September 10, 2014, 09:35:06 AM »

Great post Debbie, hope you stay and shed light on your friendship with BW.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #313 on: September 10, 2014, 09:43:45 AM »

I posted one time on this Board to defend Brian when someone accused him of “seeing me” when I was under-aged, which was untrue.  I have not chosen to post since for two reasons.  One was privacy for me, my family and friends.  The other reason was that I was made aware recently of a few supposed “fans” saying the most demeaning things about Brian, someone they supposedly loved and admired, on this Board.  So, I have to question their true motivation…this Board appeared dangerous. 

Then they attacked who I can only assume were Melinda, Jean Sievers and Brian’s attorney with the idiotic term “handlers.”  But with Ray’s recent courageous post, I felt I should speak up as well, once again.  It’s time, as clearly some of you do truly appreciate Brian and those who love him.  Whoever those other posters are, well “have at it” but I likely won’t respond.

First of all, I have seen some people imply that Brian has “lost it” and that others have been writing his music, here and elsewhere.  I was there during what some, possibly even Brian, would call his worst period aside from the Landy days.  He NEVER lost that magical ability to create heart-stopping beauty at inspired times.  He would go to the piano and I was literally frozen-in-place by what I heard.  The man has a gift I don’t even begin to grasp that takes us to the sublime, and I am thankful for this everyday.  Brian’s band is superb and supportive, but I find Brian’s work unmistakable and the man is working.

I also feel I must address this drug-addled Brian some of you seem to think existed or exists today.  I didn’t know Brian until 1969, but drugs that weren’t prescribed to him only appeared once in my experiences with him over many years.  Granted, he was protective of me, but still, this was clearly NOT a drug-crazed man.  Some of the prescribed drugs he was on were brutal, but those days are long, long over.  He has great doctors now.  Something Melinda deserves massive credit for accomplishing.

Describing Brian as “out of it” couldn’t be further from the truth.  The exact opposite is his blessing and his curse.  The man doesn’t miss anything, no matter how subtle, going on around him.  That’s how he’s touched all of us so deeply, to the point that scientists and doctors in fact reported on NPR and in various films of his music’s actual healing effects.

Imagine that level of sensitivity, the brave vulnerability and the spirit of generosity that it takes for him to be in this world, courageously performing in front of large crowds while also putting his heart and soul on the line again and again with his music, knowing what that can “bring down on him.”  Melinda has said it and I will say it as well, “Brian is the most courageous person I know.”

Brian gives us love, beauty and immense “mercy” every day.  Just being able to work under those conditions doesn’t require “handlers,” it requires a strong line of defense against the jealous, the greedy and the just plain mean-of-spirit, needy people who arise around a bright light such as Brian.  With people like Melinda and Ray he has that now.  (And heaven knows, he needs his great attorney. I will leave it at that!)

I want to offer my deepest love and gratitude to all of them – all brave, good people who deserve respect, and - from what I can gather though I haven’t seen it - they also deserve the extraordinary “Love & Mercy” film by Pohlad, Moverman and that amazing cast. 

People often ask me if I’m shocked that Brian is the “last Wilson standing.”  Not at all, I always knew his strength in spite of the unimaginable.  The man lived a frikkin’ resurrection story through “Smile” for all of us.  You’d think that would have evoked a bit of lasting praise.  He may not “point at you in the audience” for some sort of thrill (I would guess) when he performs.  Sorry, it’s not what the man does.  He’s not about little ego strokes, for himself or anyone else.  In the end they are pretty useless anyway, at least in my experience. 

Maybe just a genuine thanks to Brian for sticking with us all these years would be appropriate at this point - and for his amazing willingness to continue to work, bringing us profound joy.  Brian and Melinda know that I love and respect them.  That feels really good - the ultimate fulfillment for me after all these years.  It’s up to you if you’d like to join me or not.

Debbie, the fact that Brian doesn't do the eternally embarrassing 'pointing at someone you're pretending to recognize in the audience' routine is just another in the long list of reasons why I love the man. Thanks for a lovely, uplifting post.
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: September 10, 2014, 09:59:39 AM »

Wonderful posts from Debbie and Ray! My compliments.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 10:18:21 AM by Ang Jones » Logged
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #315 on: September 10, 2014, 10:22:14 AM »

Well, I re-read the thing I wrote and saw how preachy I got at the end, so thanks for being forgiving about that.  I also hope Ray forgives me for calling him "courageous."  He HATES that kind of stuff!  I had just grown so tired of some of the nastiness, and I see that most of you are appreciative of Brian and his work.  Also, I caught some of the stuff where people were telling Brian how he should be doing this record he's about to release. Seriously?  While it's totally not Brian's style, I did have fantasies about him saying, "HEY, you talkin' to ME!?"   One other thing I WILL say about my insights into Brian was that he never needed my help or opinion in making a record!  Geez...
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 10:56:49 AM by Debbie Keil-Leavitt » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #316 on: September 10, 2014, 10:38:06 AM »

Well, I re-read the thing I wrote and saw how preachy I got at the end, so thanks for being forgiving about that.  I also hope Ray forgives me for calling him "courageous."  He HATES that kind of stuff!  I had just grown so tired of some of the nastiness, and I see that most of you are appreciative.  Also, I caught some of the stuff where people were telling Brian how he should be doing this record he's about to release. Seriously?  While it's totally not Brian's style, I did have fantasies about him saying, "HEY, you talkin' to ME!?"   One other thing I WILL say about my insights into Brian was that he never needed my help or opinion in making a record!  Geez...

Great to have you on board! I have been tired of the nastiness, the petty criticisms, the suggestions that Brian is or isn't this or that, and it reached the boiling point for me as a fan in the past year...and my complaint is and always has been that much of those issues come from something other than the truth, or the facts of the matter in general.

So it is great to have those who know the truth, who have in those cases been there and can confirm the facts, join in the discussion.

What I raised in another thread or maybe even multiple threads is my wondering what is the motivation behind continuously spreading things that aren't true and using terms and nicknames to ridicule or dismiss. I'll call it out too: The use of the term "handlers" as a derisive term is ridiculous at this point in light of what has been reported by those who actually know.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: September 10, 2014, 10:40:26 AM »

By then it was pretty apparent that eliminating Landy would be a daunting task, as it was difficult to figure out who to trust, and who would weasel her out to Landy. Finally, she contacted the Attorney General, State of California, who told her what she already knew; that she needed to get Brian’s family onboard; without family involvement and consent, nothing could happen, and to that end, gave her Carl’s attorney’s information, Ross Schwartz and Jody Leslie.  

A bizarre coincidence that it was Ross Schwartz who was working to get Landy detached from Brian; it was less than a decade earlier (I think) that Ross's dad Sherwood Schwartz (Gilligan's Island/Brady Bunch producer/creator) was the one who helped get Maureen McCormick (Marcia Brady) INTO the care of Dr. Landy (that didn't last long, as Maureen McCormick quickly figured out what a creep Landy was, and stopped seeing him).

Seems like the Schwartzes and the Wilsons had this in common: actively getting a relative (or close friend) into Landy's care, and then banding together to help get Landy out of the picture.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 10:41:17 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Bittersweet-Sanity
Smiley Smile Associate

Busy Doin' Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: September 10, 2014, 10:46:51 AM »

Looks like Lionsgate will be releasing L&M here in the U.S. after all. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/toronto-lionsgate-nabs-beach-boys-731840?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_term=hollywoodreporter_breakingnews&utm_campaign=THR+Breaking+News_now_2014-09-10+10%3A34%3A14_tsiegel

And yes, thank you for the incredibly insightful posts, Ray Lawlor & Debbie Kiel-Leavitt. Such a riveting life Brian's led. Good to see he's had such great friends along the way.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 10:48:10 AM by Ghost_of_Dr._Landy » Logged

"It looks like I'm going to have to go bananas all by myself." -B.W.

"Dr. Landy and Brian Wilson are right out of a storybook." -Brian Wilson

"So maybe Beach Boys fans are stupid and we can dismiss the whole thing. But maybe that's a pretty snotty attitude to take; maybe something is happening here that we just ought to know about" -Paul Williams

"Brian is an enigma, a leprechaun," said rhythm guitarist Al Jardine.

"There ain't a rocketship powerfull enough to be able to blast Jeff's fat ass into space."-Mike's Beard
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: September 10, 2014, 10:48:28 AM »

Fascinating contributions by historical figures, for which, thanks. The Professor's bias is clear: I resist any narratives that, in the current climate, might continue to prevent a BB reunion and next album.  I evaluate the film according to how it will further alienate the boys from each other.  This bias aside, I know a movie has to simplify  and merge historical forces. That Melinda had such a role in helping BW, as Ray recounts, is stunning and something to be thankful for.  My fear was that the movie was focusing on her role in order to tell the world, once and for all, as it were, that the other BB are useless, clueless drones, oblivious to the sun they orbit. The real story, each family emotion and moment of stress, fear, and love cannot be depicted nor chronicled in any art form.  Once lived, it is it only a whisper in Time, I agreee.

I will see the movie and hope it is artistically satisfying and inspires fear and pity in the Aristotelian sense, however heroic, rather than tragic, it's arc. Real redemption, in 2014, would be the old men known as the Beach Boys singing together. Nothing less than that would ease my particular sorrow at the current divisions.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: September 10, 2014, 10:55:54 AM »

The Handlers (carried over from Landy times) term is used because Brian makes no bones about putting his people out front when making business decisions. Whereas, the Beach Boys seemed to keep all that in the background. At any point in there career, either Dennis, Carl or Mike took the lead in interviews and the such regarding decisions made by the band with their management.

Even during C50 Mike seemed to make it pretty clear that Brian was not willing to talk business without his management stepping in. Really, it is all perception from the eyes around Brian that we come away thinking that he always has to have someone running interference for him. I assume that is true, but mostly just from the business side.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #321 on: September 10, 2014, 11:03:15 AM »

I'd just like to chime in and suggest there are and were issues more important on a much deeper level than a Beach Boys reunion or than the Beach Boys in general. They are and were a band that does not supercede the lives of the individuals who were in that band. The fact that the surviving members not only survived (in some cases against all odds) but continue to be active in performing and recording music in 2014 is something to be celebrated and something as fans to be grateful for. Would a reunion be nice? Sure. If it doesn't happen, look at what we as fans have to celebrate and enjoy.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: September 10, 2014, 11:06:10 AM »

I'd just like to chime in and suggest there are and were issues more important on a much deeper level than a Beach Boys reunion or than the Beach Boys in general. They are and were a band that does not supercede the lives of the individuals who were in that band. The fact that the surviving members not only survived (in some cases against all odds) but continue to be active in performing and recording music in 2014 is something to be celebrated and something as fans to be grateful for. Would a reunion be nice? Sure. If it doesn't happen, look at what we as fans have to celebrate and enjoy.

I couldn't agree more.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: September 10, 2014, 11:17:32 AM »

Importance, so to speak, is relative, depending upon what aesthetic, romantic, or mythic paradigm you invoke. What do we demand of art and of artists? Survival or triumph? Both? And how are each measured? There is no absolute answer here. I respect these posts that are grateful for what we have, but I always recognize a higher register of epic fulfillment, the kind that will be writ indelibly into history.

I couldn't agree more.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #324 on: September 10, 2014, 11:32:09 AM »

By then it was pretty apparent that eliminating Landy would be a daunting task, as it was difficult to figure out who to trust, and who would weasel her out to Landy. Finally, she contacted the Attorney General, State of California, who told her what she already knew; that she needed to get Brian’s family onboard; without family involvement and consent, nothing could happen, and to that end, gave her Carl’s attorney’s information, Ross Schwartz and Jody Leslie. 

A bizarre coincidence that it was Ross Schwartz who was working to get Landy detached from Brian; it was less than a decade earlier (I think) that Ross's dad Sherwood Schwartz (Gilligan's Island/Brady Bunch producer/creator) was the one who helped get Maureen McCormick (Marcia Brady) INTO the care of Dr. Landy (that didn't last long, as Maureen McCormick quickly figured out what a creep Landy was, and stopped seeing him).

Seems like the Schwartzes and the Wilsons had this in common: actively getting a relative (or close friend) into Landy's care, and then banding together to help get Landy out of the picture.

6 degrees of seperation

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 79 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx