gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:26:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 79 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love and Mercy - News and Reviews - First clip is out.  (Read 508338 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: September 08, 2014, 06:41:06 AM »

Great review schiaffino! Glad you got to go. I can't wait to see this in a theater.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 08, 2014, 07:04:16 AM »

Also, I still think the perfect opening for a BBs movie would be Brian walking along the shore at the rented beach house Landy had him in, with "Male Ego" playing in the background as he stumbles clumsily over the rocks. He looks nervously at girls passing by as the song continues. As the song fades, we cut to the car dealership where he meets Melinda.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 08, 2014, 07:27:29 AM »

Hey guys, just got back from watching the movie...and I gotta say, it was amazing!
Great review, thanks for this! Very psyched to see the film.

Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 08, 2014, 07:48:34 AM »

Great shots. Has Brian lost some weight?

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 08, 2014, 07:50:55 AM »

I want to know more about the music in the film

I read they made great use of pet sounds and smile multi tracks

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 08, 2014, 07:56:21 AM »

Some of the press over the past year or two on the film has made it sound like it would be rather "unconventional", but it's sounding like it's a relatively traditional biopic,

Yeah - kind of a standard narrative in that it's following the patten of the redemption from mental illness narrative that I thought would have been beneath Oren Moverman after seeing I'm Not There. The problem with reducing people's lives into conventional storytelling patterns is that you render those lives entirely inauthentic as a result.

I also think it's unfortunate that they are replaying scenes that we have seen in previous Beach Boys biopics. I think at this point you can tell the Smile story without the "Mike Love challenges the lyrics" scene.

Anyway, doesn't sound like the movie that I would make but, whatever, it does sound enjoyable.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 08, 2014, 08:16:50 AM »

It's too bad his cousin Mike couldn't be there with him to celebrate...

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Nicko1234
« Reply #157 on: September 08, 2014, 08:18:49 AM »

You mean in the same way that Al and David are in all of the pictures?  Wink
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 08, 2014, 08:21:35 AM »

You mean in the same way that Al and David are in all of the pictures?  Wink

well, yeah

Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 08, 2014, 08:44:40 AM »

Will def buy this movie when it comes out on Blue Ray. Looks great from what I can tell. Thanks Brian and the people around him for making this possible.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 08, 2014, 08:52:03 AM »

Schiaffino, thanks for taking the time. Good review!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 08, 2014, 09:01:43 AM »

Maybe I missed it scanning through the thread, but does anyone know when or if this will be in general release in theaters?  Wonder if it will be a limited or broad release......

From the reviews I anticipate it will be difficult to watch the whole thing with both eyes open.  But I will watch for sure first chance I get.  And yeah, I'll no doubt buy the video to add to my already ridiculous collection of beachboys product.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 08, 2014, 09:17:03 AM »

Looks like Brian is wearing is shirt out and long jacket to hide a very big gut.  I want to see this movie.
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 08, 2014, 10:26:29 AM »

Looks like Brian is wearing is shirt out and long jacket to hide a very big gut.  I want to see this movie.

I don't know. I've seen many other shots where Brian has his shirt out, and his weight looked much greater. In the top shot especially, looks like there is a big change.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 08, 2014, 10:39:09 AM »

Maybe I missed it scanning through the thread, but does anyone know when or if this will be in general release in theaters?  Wonder if it will be a limited or broad release......

From the reviews I anticipate it will be difficult to watch the whole thing with both eyes open.  But I will watch for sure first chance I get.  And yeah, I'll no doubt buy the video to add to my already ridiculous collection of beachboys product.

Per the LA Times this morning, the film does not yet have a distributor, hence no release date...

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/filmfestivals/la-et-mn-toronto-assess-20140908-story.html#page=1

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: September 08, 2014, 11:16:39 AM »

I don't know. I've seen many other shots where Brian has his shirt out, and his weight looked much greater. In the top shot especially, looks like there is a big change.
It's t he angle of the photo. Pictures from the same day (earlier)  show a different story.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 08, 2014, 11:50:30 AM »

Yes, they did an amazing job. Only a few songs were performed in their entirety, I remember Sloop John B (the pool video recreation), Love and Mercy in the closing credits and Surfs Up (Brian/Dano solo performance). But if you dont mind some spoilers, here's a quick list of the best musical moments in the movie:
    • My fav, Brian (Dano) sitting next to his house pool alone and sad after the failure of Smile - this to the sound of 'Cool Cool Water'
    • A dream sequence after Brian (Cusack) leaves Landy, where he sees himself in bed at different ages in his life, while visited in his dreams by Murray, Landy, Melinda - this to a mix of different songs, but ending with a beautifully haunting 'Till I die'
    • When Brian (Dano) was recording Good Vibrations and he spends days and days on the cellos; at one moment Mike's cries out of desperation and Brian (Dano) says 'if you dont want to be here, Mike, you can wait outside the studio'
    • Brian (Dano) recording Caroline No, I think Dano did the singing here and it was really, really moving; later in the scene Murray comes in to play the Boys the new single from the other band he tried to produced The Sunrays' or sth like that (?)
    • Brian (Dano) playing God Only Knows to Murray as a preview and they getting into an argument after about the lyrics and the production. Cool thing is how Dano starts of singing and playing in a shy way and then gets into it as Brian surely did with his dad (I can imagine Brian really nervous whenever he sought Murray's feedback)
    • The Wrecking Crew playing Fire, all wearing firemen hats, and Brian (Dano) taking some burning wood ( I think) and running around with it in the studio. Everyone in the control booth was looking at Brian as if he'd gone mad, cool scene
    • And a cheesy scene where Brian (Cusack) plays an early riff of Love and Mercy to Melinda when she visits his house the first time. He said he thought of it the moment he met her, not sure if thats accurate...

When I get home tonight from work I'll post a couple of more impressions, see if I can get the photos and Q&A video uploaded.

Cheers!
    « Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 11:57:54 AM by schiaffino » Logged

"Maybe if we think and wish and hope and pray...it might come true
    Baby then there wouldn't be a single thing we couldn't do..."
    ThyRavenAscend
    Smiley Smile Associate

It is nice.

View Profile
    « Reply #167 on: September 08, 2014, 11:52:18 AM »

Video footage of snippets of interviews from a few of the lead actors at the premier; they say stuff about Brian.  Smiley

http://vimeo.com/m/105526979

1 Corinthians 1:18-31
    Mendota Heights
    Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
    « Reply #168 on: September 08, 2014, 11:57:41 AM »

Is it mentioned in the movie that Mike had 6 wives?

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
    schiaffino
    Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
    « Reply #169 on: September 08, 2014, 11:59:06 AM »

Is it mentioned in the movie that Mike had 6 wives?

LOL Nope

schiaffino
    Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
    « Reply #170 on: September 08, 2014, 12:12:54 PM »

Yes, they did an amazing job. Only a few songs were performed in their entirety, I remember Sloop John B (the pool video recreation), Love and Mercy in the closing credits and Surfs Up (Brian/Dano solo performance). But if you dont mind some spoilers, here's a quick list of the best musical moments in the movie:
      • My fav, Brian (Dano) sitting next to his house pool alone and sad after the failure of Smile - this to the sound of 'Cool Cool Water'
      • A dream sequence after Brian (Cusack) leaves Landy, where he sees himself in bed at different ages in his life, while visited in his dreams by Murray, Landy, Melinda - this to a mix of different songs, but ending with a beautifully haunting 'Till I die'
      • When Brian (Dano) was recording Good Vibrations and he spends days and days on the cellos; at one moment Mike's cries out of desperation and Brian (Dano) says 'if you dont want to be here, Mike, you can wait outside the studio'
      • Brian (Dano) recording Caroline No, I think Dano did the singing here and it was really, really moving; later in the scene Murray comes in to play the Boys the new single from the other band he tried to produced The Sunrays' or sth like that (?)
      • Brian (Dano) playing God Only Knows to Murray as a preview and they getting into an argument after about the lyrics and the production. Cool thing is how Dano starts of singing and playing in a shy way and then gets into it as Brian surely did with his dad (I can imagine Brian really nervous whenever he sought Murray's feedback)
      • The Wrecking Crew playing Fire, all wearing firemen hats, and Brian (Dano) taking some burning wood ( I think) and running around with it in the studio. Everyone in the control booth was looking at Brian as if he'd gone mad, cool scene
      • And a cheesy scene where Brian (Cusack) plays an early riff of Love and Mercy to Melinda when she visits his house the first time. He said he thought of it the moment he met her, not sure if thats accurate...

When I get home tonight from work I'll post a couple of more impressions, see if I can get the photos and Q&A video uploaded.

Cheers!

Forgot to mention, Shady, that during Q&A the director said that they recreated all the songs (and song parts) using professionals musicians! And what they did to make it more authentic was to mix some of the new recordings with actual BBs ones, so in some songs you get a mix of Paul Dano and Brian singing!

Thought that was amazing.

and also during Q&A Paul Dano said the most difficult thing was to shoot the scene where he plays Surfs Up. Its all him, the singing and playing, and that was apparently his first day in the shooting. So he said he was scared to death, but managed to pull it off quite nicely  Smiley[/list]
      « Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 12:17:26 PM by schiaffino » Logged

ontor pertawst
      Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
      « Reply #171 on: September 08, 2014, 12:14:21 PM »

Hopefully i'll be able to "Catch a Wave" on this and much like that one year where there were suddenly tons of meteor movies, i'll get the greenlight for my long cherished Ed Harris project LOVE AND BITTERNESS. I'm told that Stamos is especially keen to play Stamos.

Chocolate Shake Man
      Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
      « Reply #172 on: September 08, 2014, 12:25:08 PM »

Good God, I looked at that picture many times before I realized it was Ed Harris.
      ontor pertawst
      Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
      « Reply #173 on: September 08, 2014, 12:27:25 PM »

Good God, I looked at that picture many times before I realized it was Ed Harris.

See?! SEE!? It's a no brainer. It can cut back and forth between two crucial periods of his life, the heady days of Kokomo and that time he met the Beatles in India. Think of the cutlery montage.

southbay
      Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
      « Reply #174 on: September 08, 2014, 12:33:00 PM »

It would no doubt work but the title is too negative.  What can we do to project some positivity, maybe add some of the boy-girl dynamic so the people can "get it"...

gfx
      Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 79 Go Up Print 
      gfx
      Jump to:  
      gfx