gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:14:43 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 79 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love and Mercy - News and Reviews - First clip is out.  (Read 508157 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: September 07, 2014, 09:14:04 PM »

LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 07, 2014, 09:39:44 PM »

Rave reviewing pouring in on twitter from people who attended the screening, standing ovations etc

Very good news

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 07, 2014, 10:21:18 PM »

Twitter is loving this film!!!!!!!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/arts-video/video-love-and-mercy-stars-at-tiff-on-depicting-brian-wilsons-life/article20464970/?cmpid=rss1&click=sf_globe

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: September 07, 2014, 10:28:44 PM »

Awesome!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 07, 2014, 11:06:37 PM »

Hey guys, just got back from watching the movie...and I gotta say, it was amazing!

Overall, my rating is 2 very enthusiastic thumbs up. The film was not perfect, but it did a great job and I think a lot of people in the theater left with more appreciation towards Brian's life and what he had to endure.

So here's my review.

First, the production of the movie is incredible. They managed to recreate every single detail we've seen in photos and videos. Particularly good was the recreation of Brian (Paul Dano) performing Surfs Up solo on the piano for the Bernstein special. And I gotta say, Paul Dano did an amazing job singing and playing. In the end credits I read Darian was his music coach, so that explains a lot.

But aside from his singing (and a pretty good falsetto), he was the best in the cast. The mid 60s scenes were awesome and he did a fine job showing Brian's increasing mental deterioration. I think he has a great career ahead, top actor.

John Cusak was competent in the older Brian role. They didnt do much of an effort to make him look like Brian - actually that kind of sucked sometimes, since John is so John - but some of the scenes with Landy were very dramatic and he did good. Paul Giamatti (hope that's how its spelled) was a bit over the top, but then again from what I've read, Landy was like that in real life. You got to watch the scene when he's forcing Brian to finish up 'Driving to Heaven in my car'...its really tough and sad.

I saw Elizabeth Banks up close and personal when I was getting to my seat  Grin Not only she's pretty but carried the role of Melinda pretty well. Its obvious the script wanted to put Melinda as Brian's savior and make her the reason why the guy is alive nowadays and so Elizabeth played the part strongly.

But the rest of the cast and how their characters were presented was kind of weak. Van Dyke Parks for example hardly gets 2 scenes, doesnt talk much and seems like he's not really important. They changed the lyrics discussion from Cabinessence to Heroes and Villains (the snuff bit), so that was kind of lame.

Murray gets a big part and its shown in all his evilness. They even showed him hitting kid Brian and making him deaf...and to this day I dont know if thats true or not, since I've seen interviews of Brian saying he was born deaf...so...aucune idee la

The Boys are not really worked as characters. Mike gets to be the asshole, but in a justifiable way if I may say. He's always shown as worrying about the band and how Brian is losing touch with their public's interest. I mean, I (we) know a bit more of the story, but I can understand if people who dont know much about the band would side with him. Since the Van Dyke's characters was not really built up, Mike's kicking him away seemed rather appropriate in the context of the movie. Anyways.

There was a good scene with Hal Blaine talking with Brian in the parking lot and comforting him, saying the boys were going to love what he recorded for Pet Sounds. But aside from that and a quick scene with Carol Kaye complaining about bass keys, not much was discussed about the Wrecking Crew.

Carl and Dennis got a couple of lines during the early days, but not much after. Al and Bruce practically didnt exist. Marylin looked really cute actually, I wonder who played her? Checking later on IMDB.

But then again the movie was about Brian and Melinda, so 90% was Paul Dano/John Cusack and Elizabeth Banks. The last scene was when she almost ran him over and then took him to visit his old house on Hawthorne to find they built a highway on it. And as they hug and kiss, Wouldnt it be nice plays over.

A little nice detail though, the closing credits were played over Love and Mercy sang live by Brian, with concert footage. When the song was over, we all stood up and applauded Brian for almost 5 mins. Standing ovation!

But one thing I really, really didnt like, was how so stupid some people in the audience were. During some really sad scenes, like when Brian was saying stuff like 'I dont get to talk to my family' or 'like I got this mental problem...since 1963', some people were laughing as if it was something funny. John  Cusack did a good job in getting Brian's impersonal way of talking, so its sounds somehow comical, but for the love of God, the guy who suffered this ordeal is there, in the audience!!! Show some respect  Angry

Aside from that, the venue was cool, the screening and the atmosphere was Hollywood style. I recorded most of the Q&A session and Brian leaving the theater - it was funny everyone was there to take pics of John Cusack, and when he left, most left...so I could move up front and scream at Brian like a mad man  Grin ...actually I didnt, I'm a fan, not a crazy stalker  Roll Eyes

Anyways, hope this review gives you some insight to the movie. I recommended it completely, the focus is not the drugs but Brian's mental health struggle. I think it was a nice treatment of his life.

Gotta leave now and get some sleep, I'm catching the 6:00 am train back to Montreal. I'll share some of the pics and the Q&A session tomorrow night.

Bonne nuit a tous!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 11:07:35 PM by schiaffino » Logged

"Maybe if we think and wish and hope and pray...it might come true
Baby then there wouldn't be a single thing we couldn't do..."
tony p
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 07, 2014, 11:17:36 PM »

^^^^^^^

Awesome review schiaffino and thanks very much for sharing

cant wait to see at least the trailer for it

I gotta heart that just wont stop beating for you, I gotta love that just can’t stop feeling for you
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 07, 2014, 11:31:42 PM »

Should probably blank out spoilers.

I get we all know what happened in real life, but it is a film after all, not a documentary.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 07, 2014, 11:48:04 PM »

Many many thanks schiaffino, much appreciated and delighted you had such a great night.

Also delighted you're not a stalker… (did you grab me a lock of his hair?ż?ż?)

Hope we get to see this film in the UK and soon.

“We live in divisive times.”
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: September 07, 2014, 11:55:57 PM »

Should probably blank out spoilers.

I get we all know what happened in real life, but it is a film after all, not a documentary.

Did you say that in 1997 when Titanic came out?

Just bustin' your chops...no offense meant, more of a joke. LOL

Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 08, 2014, 12:01:39 AM »

Excellent review in Hollywood Reporter:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/love-mercy-toronto-review-730952
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: September 08, 2014, 12:19:59 AM »

We meet Dano's version of Wilson just as he's asking for permission to stay home while the band tours in Japan. "I can take us further ... at home," he insists, saying he has ideas for intricately produced music that will make the Beatles' just-released Revolver sound like an also-ran

Probably because it WAS, released nearly three months after Pet Sounds.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: September 08, 2014, 12:23:39 AM »

Yup...probably was thinking of Rubber Soul

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: September 08, 2014, 01:39:03 AM »

Thanks for posting the early, firsthand review! Looking forward to seeing it get a full release. If the reaction from the premiere so far is any indication, that won't be too far away.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Nicko1234
« Reply #138 on: September 08, 2014, 01:48:11 AM »

Does it show Carl as being involved in removing Brian from Landy at all?

That would be my question to any who attended.
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 08, 2014, 01:57:56 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0MgXG29Chk&feature=youtu.be

https://twitter.com/zackmamba/status/508847826055749632/photo/1

https://twitter.com/NadiaNeophytou/status/508834791446552577/photo/1

« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 02:28:50 AM by GoodVibrations33 » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: September 08, 2014, 02:09:59 AM »

Wonder how Brian reacted to it?

Bittersweet-Sanity
Smiley Smile Associate

Busy Doin' Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 08, 2014, 02:19:20 AM »

From the review: Leave it to scholars of Beach Boys lore to evaluate the way screenwriters Oren Moverman and Michael Alan Lerner distill the long, complicated timeline in which courts eventually removed Wilson from Landy's custody; since this film views Ledbetter as the catalyst of Wilson's recovery (they married in 1995 and remain together), it emphasizes her role in gathering evidence of Landy's misconduct.

From reading that, I'm thinking Melinda's efforts (however subtle they may or may not have been) are made the focal point for the sake of the dramatic narrative, at the expense of others perhaps (Gary Usher, Stan Love, Carl?) I haven't seen the movie, so idk. But hey, it is a movie. Artistic liberties are gonna be taken.

That said, i can't wait to see it. This "Driving to Heaven in my car (Let's Go To Heaven In My Car?)" scene has got my mouth watering  Razz cause i luv that song, not cause of how sad the scene apparently is   
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 07:07:39 PM by Ghost_of_Dr._Landy » Logged

"It looks like I'm going to have to go bananas all by myself." -B.W.

"Dr. Landy and Brian Wilson are right out of a storybook." -Brian Wilson

"So maybe Beach Boys fans are stupid and we can dismiss the whole thing. But maybe that's a pretty snotty attitude to take; maybe something is happening here that we just ought to know about" -Paul Williams

"Brian is an enigma, a leprechaun," said rhythm guitarist Al Jardine.

"There ain't a rocketship powerfull enough to be able to blast Jeff's fat ass into space."-Mike's Beard
Nicko1234
« Reply #142 on: September 08, 2014, 02:30:40 AM »

From the review: Leave it to scholars of Beach Boys lore to evaluate the way screenwriters Oren Moverman and Michael Alan Lerner distill the long, complicated timeline in which courts eventually removed Wilson from Landy's custody; since this film views Ledbetter as the catalyst of Wilson's recovery (they married in 1995 and remain together), it emphasizes her role in gathering evidence of Landy's misconduct.

From reading that, I'm thinking Melinda's efforts (however subtle they may or may not have been) are made the focal point for the sake of the dramatic narrative, at the expense of others perhaps (Gary Usher, Stan Love, Carl?) I haven't seen the movie, so idk. But hey, it is a movie. Artistic liberties are gonna be made.

That said, i can't wait to see it. This "Driving to Heaven in my car (Let's Go To Heaven In My Car?)" scene has got my mouth watering  Razz

Yes, they are going to take liberties. Absolutely.

Just as a personal thing though. The Brian and Melinda love story is not one I am particularly interested in watching. She has clearly been great for Brian but it doesn`t do it for me from a thematic point of view. I may well be alone in feeling that way though.
Bittersweet-Sanity
Smiley Smile Associate

Busy Doin' Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 08, 2014, 02:45:26 AM »

« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 07:34:19 PM by Ghost_of_Dr._Landy » Logged

"It looks like I'm going to have to go bananas all by myself." -B.W.

"Dr. Landy and Brian Wilson are right out of a storybook." -Brian Wilson

"So maybe Beach Boys fans are stupid and we can dismiss the whole thing. But maybe that's a pretty snotty attitude to take; maybe something is happening here that we just ought to know about" -Paul Williams

"Brian is an enigma, a leprechaun," said rhythm guitarist Al Jardine.

"There ain't a rocketship powerfull enough to be able to blast Jeff's fat ass into space."-Mike's Beard
schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 08, 2014, 03:40:51 AM »

Nope it has Melinda calling Carl but we don't see not hear him. Again it's all Melinda rescuing Brian.

"Maybe if we think and wish and hope and pray...it might come true
Baby then there wouldn't be a single thing we couldn't do..."
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: September 08, 2014, 03:43:17 AM »

Based purely on what I've read thus far, looks encouraging even though there's been some recasting of historical fact, as stated here and elsewhere. Looking forward to seeing it.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 08, 2014, 05:13:28 AM »

Thanks all for the info and links. Definitely looks promising. Can't wait to see this. Is there a release date yet?

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 08, 2014, 05:57:58 AM »

I'm stoked. Wouldn't it be nice if we could already watch the movie, in a world where we wouldn't have to wait so long? And after having watched the movie together, talk about it on Smiley Smile the whole night through?

The change to the "sunny down snuff" lyrics in the fight is interesting. Can anyone confirm if this was done to highlight the dig at Mike's snuff habit? Otherwise, it just seems so random. Maybe they thought audiences would be more likely to understand and possibly even recognize "Heroes and Villains"? The "crow cries" example just sums up the real situation so perfectly. If you actually spent any real time analyzing the lyrics in the outro of the song, you'd quickly see what's going on:

Over and over
The crow cries uncover the cornfield
Over and over
The thresher and hover the wheat field

NOW, LET'S SWITCH TWO PHRASES:

Over and over
The crow cries and hover(s) the wheat field
Over and over
The thresher uncover(s) the cornfield

I believe there's a term for what Parks did, but maybe not. And still, to this day, it's unlikely Mike has figured the riddle out.

It's just funny that the neither An American Family or Love & Mercy are willing to show this part of the story as it really happened. And why not? It shows Brian and Parks at their most brilliant (musically and lyrically) and Love at his densest.
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 08, 2014, 06:06:39 AM »

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/tiff-review-love-mercy-starring-paul-dano-john-cusack-elizabeth-banks-paul-giamatti-20140908
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: September 08, 2014, 06:35:10 AM »

Hey guys, just got back from watching the movie...and I gotta say, it was amazing!

Overall, my rating is 2 very enthusiastic thumbs up. The film was not perfect, but it did a great job and I think a lot of people in the theater left with more appreciation towards Brian's life and what he had to endure.

Great thanks for offering a review, and a detailed one at that. I suppose the "thumbs" rating system doesn't offer as much room for nuance, but the tone of your review sounds more like the film should get maybe a 7 or 8 out of 10, which is probably the best we could ever hope for.

I was hoping the "Melinda as savior" thing wouldn't get overplayed. Guess we'll have to all see for ourselves. It's also unfortunate if the other BB's were once again underplayed. Even the most staunch "pro-Brian" and "anti-the rest of the BB's" fans would have to agree the other guys are a big part of the story. Then again, the producers of the film may have tread lightly regarding the other living BB's due to the possibility of lawsuits, etc.

I've seen Giamatti in enough stuff, I already have at least an idea of how he would play Landy. I'm not sure there would be the right nuance in playing Landy (he was often, at least in interviews, kind of more smarmy tone-wise rather than loud and boistrous), but he's probably as good of a choice as any "name" actor.

Some of the press over the past year or two on the film has made it sound like it would be rather "unconventional", but it's sounding like it's a relatively traditional biopic, just one that jumps around a lot simply to emphasize two specific periods in Brian's life and more than anything due to time contraints.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 79 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx