gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:55:00 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 73 74 75 [76] 77 78 79 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love and Mercy - News and Reviews - First clip is out.  (Read 508180 times)
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1875 on: August 25, 2015, 02:07:36 PM »

Was listening to the audio commentary for the film last night and apparently that scene you guys are talking about was longer. Before it was trimmed, that scene has Landy actually making the call to Melinda and then Melinda tells Landy 'If he wants a date with me, he'll have to call me himself' or something like that. Then what we see in the film happens, Brian calls back.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1876 on: August 25, 2015, 02:56:03 PM »

Landy telling Brian to use his other ear (as if Brian had never used the phone, or not in a long time) seems stupidly crude to me

I thought nothing much of it. You can clearly hear Brian say that it's the wrong ear, which made Landy say "Use the other ear"...as if Landy was actually putting the phone up to Brain's head.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: August 26, 2015, 11:02:09 AM »

surely Landy knew enough not to fumble (with an old phone receiver) like that, which ear of Brian's to use calling Melinda, because one can only imagine how many previous phone-call coachings preceded it (i.e. Landy trying to get Brian to call a record company executive).  it still seems crude to me

at their first Cadillac dealership meeting Melinda says "You didn't tell me that!"  (that he was THE Brian Wilson) to which Brian replies "oh...that's just ego stuff".  But when they talk over the phone the first time she begins responding to him "Hello, Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys"

back to the Huffington Post for a moment, the reviewer says actor Paul Giamatti plays Dr. Landy with gusto.  Yes, that word summarizes his portrayal perfectly IMO.

while I wouldn't mind debating exactly who might, or at least should, get an Oscar nomination, everyone would be right in their varying assertions because ALL of the principals were that good

p.s.:  was it Mr. Mark Linnett, whom we see so often in the film (even though he doesn't look a thing like Chuck Britz) that uttered the line "it's going to cost $5000" (when Brian wants to cancel a SMiLE session)?

p.p.s.:  in the '60s scenes at Brian's home, and at the studio too, there were quite a few scenes w/ background individuals shooting a little 8mm movie camera
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: August 26, 2015, 11:46:35 AM »

This must have been posted already. If so, here it is again:

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/09/25/paul-dano-love-and-mercy

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: August 26, 2015, 12:01:21 PM »

p.s.:  was it Mr. Mark Linnett, whom we see so often in the film (even though he doesn't look a thing like Chuck Britz) that uttered the line "it's going to cost $5000" (when Brian wants to cancel a SMiLE session)?

Yep.

p.p.s.:  in the '60s scenes at Brian's home, and at the studio too, there were quite a few scenes w/ background individuals shooting a little 8mm movie camera

Good eye.

Paul Dano absolutely deserves a nomination. He dove headfirst into this role.

debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: August 26, 2015, 06:05:51 PM »

Yep.

Good eye.

Paul Dano absolutely deserves a nomination. He dove headfirst into this role.

He was good but not that good. I still don't understand why he felt the need to always have his head pulled back like he did.

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: August 31, 2015, 10:37:25 PM »

Examiner exclusive: Love & Mercy, on set with Mark Linett:

http://www.examiner.com/article/examiner-exclusive-love-mercy-on-set-with-mark-linett

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: September 03, 2015, 10:49:12 AM »

Cruising Ebay, found a listing for the Blu-ray disc: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Love-Mercy-Blu-ray-Disc-2015-/131594319722 

Does this mean it's available everywhere?

Or, the seller plans to use their quoted "extended handling time" as an excuse not to ship this until it's actually released?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
KDS
« Reply #1883 on: September 03, 2015, 11:02:11 AM »

Looking at the listing, I'm thinking the extending handling is due to the street date. 

There's a record store that I used to go to that used to get promo copies of CDs and DVDs and sell them before the street date, but I think they got their wrists slapped for that. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1884 on: September 03, 2015, 11:27:45 AM »

EBay has a ton of "pre-order" listings like this, only some of which actually state that it is a pre-order. Only having a stock photo is another tell. I can't imagine why anyone would bite on that listing instead of just ordering from Amazon for $12.96.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
softlysmile
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: September 03, 2015, 11:32:29 AM »

Isn't it out on DVD and Blue Ray Sept. 15th?
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: September 03, 2015, 12:43:38 PM »

EBay has a ton of "pre-order" listings like this, only some of which actually state that it is a pre-order. Only having a stock photo is another tell. I can't imagine why anyone would bite on that listing instead of just ordering from Amazon for $12.96.

Sellers on eBay have been listing pre-order stuff like this for years. There is absolutely no reason to pre-order via eBay. Best to stick with the e-tailer du jour.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: September 03, 2015, 09:47:58 PM »

oops, double post
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 06:00:28 AM by bgas » Logged

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: September 04, 2015, 05:27:07 AM »

Sellers on eBay have been listing pre-order stuff like this for years. There is absolutely no reason to pre-order via eBay. Best to stick with the e-tailer du jour.

Many a time  there's a better deal on Ebay then the sellers du jour
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 06:00:07 AM by bgas » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1889 on: September 04, 2015, 09:07:57 AM »

You can find plenty of deals on eBay, but very rarely for new (especially pre-order), sealed, new release items. I’d be surprised if there are many if any sellers presently selling the “Love & Mercy” Blu-ray, brand new and sealed, for less than $12.96 with free shipping.

Once the thing has been out for a while, and especially if you’re open to used copies, you can find better deals on eBay (though the Amazon marketplaces sellers often have similar and sometimes better prices).

One of the misleading things eBay sellers do with new releases that haven’t come out yet is to not indicate it’s a pre-order and imply they have it ready to sell now, and the way they get sales is by luring impulsive buyers who think they are getting a jump on the standard release date. Someone might pay more if they can get it earlier. But as mentioned above, stock photos and stock specs are a dead giveaway that they don’t have the item in-hand.

I try as much as possible to never buy items on eBay that use stock photos. At best, it means the seller is just lazy and/or has too much stuff to sell to care. At worst, it means they’re trying to hide something.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1890 on: September 04, 2015, 09:16:24 AM »

You can find plenty of deals on eBay, but very rarely for new (especially pre-order), sealed, new release items. I’d be surprised if there are many if any sellers presently selling the “Love & Mercy” Blu-ray, brand new and sealed, for less than $12.96 with free shipping.

Once the thing has been out for a while, and especially if you’re open to used copies, you can find better deals on eBay (though the Amazon marketplaces sellers often have similar and sometimes better prices).

One of the misleading things eBay sellers do with new releases that haven’t come out yet is to not indicate it’s a pre-order and imply they have it ready to sell now, and the way they get sales is by luring impulsive buyers who think they are getting a jump on the standard release date. Someone might pay more if they can get it earlier. But as mentioned above, stock photos and stock specs are a dead giveaway that they don’t have the item in-hand.

I try as much as possible to never buy items on eBay that use stock photos. At best, it means the seller is just lazy and/or has too much stuff to sell to care. At worst, it means they’re trying to hide something.

I agree on the use of Stock photos. hate it!  I did buy one that " supposedly" has already shipped, so if the it really arrives early.... 

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1891 on: September 04, 2015, 10:41:46 AM »

It’s definitely possible that some eBay sellers might have copies of the physical Blu-ray, as we’re only eleven days away from the “street date.” The discs have surely been manufactured and in some cases are already at retailers simply waiting for the release date to arrive.

I would imagine most folks here would want to own the movie, but it’s worth mentioning that I see that “Redbox” vending machines will have “Love & Mercy” on release date, 9/15, as well. That will be a cheaper option than renting on Amazon, etc.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: September 04, 2015, 10:43:49 AM »

It’s definitely possible that some eBay sellers might have copies of the physical Blu-ray, as we’re only eleven days away from the “street date.” The discs have surely been manufactured and in some cases are already at retailers simply waiting for the release date to arrive.

I would imagine most folks here would want to own the movie, but it’s worth mentioning that I see that “Redbox” vending machines will have “Love & Mercy” on release date, 9/15, as well. That will be a cheaper option than renting on Amazon, etc.

never used Redbox; are they $1 ?

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1893 on: September 04, 2015, 12:14:42 PM »

I think Redbox prices are now different depending on region. On the cheaper end, DVDs are $1.20 per night and Blu-rays are $1.50. I think in some areas it has gone up to $1.50 for DVD and $2.00 for Blu-ray.

They announced that price hike across the board some time back, I think late last year. But for some reason I've heard from people in some areas that they are still paying the lower price. I don't use Redbox much, but I think I used it maybe a few months back and it was still at the lower tier at the machine I used.

sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: September 04, 2015, 06:12:34 PM »

Love & Mercy
‘Pet Sounds’ Sessions Re-Created for Wilson Biopic - See more at: http://www.mixonline.com/news/films-tv/love-mercy/425584#sthash.UK1yhDoB.dpuf

Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: September 09, 2015, 11:06:18 AM »

Apple has showed the Love and Mercy poster for several minutes tonight during their live event.

Great exposure for Brian! Smiley

« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 11:07:59 AM by Deez Hamstrings » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: September 09, 2015, 12:08:51 PM »

I noticed that too, Swedish Frog! I was hoping they'd show a clip from it but that little poster thumbnail is more than I expected anyways.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: September 09, 2015, 02:15:41 PM »

I ordered the blu Ray from Amazon and if you want a good laugh go there and read some of the reviews by people that did not like it. Here's an idea..... Maybe watch the trailer and pay attention to it before you pay to see it so you will have a clue. One person said the TV movie was better and covered the same ground! Hilarious.

JCM- nice to see your review pop up first there on Amazon. Fitting since you love it so much and have done a lot of work to enlighten people about it.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: September 09, 2015, 02:21:05 PM »

We agree, paul JB! Smiley

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
KDS
« Reply #1899 on: September 10, 2015, 07:19:28 AM »

I ordered the blu Ray from Amazon and if you want a good laugh go there and read some of the reviews by people that did not like it. Here's an idea..... Maybe watch the trailer and pay attention to it before you pay to see it so you will have a clue. One person said the TV movie was better and covered the same ground! Hilarious.

JCM- nice to see your review pop up first there on Amazon. Fitting since you love it so much and have done a lot of work to enlighten people about it.

I found the one review that wanted the beach parties, bikini girls, etc pretty funny.  I guess that person didn't hear any Beach Boys material after the All Summer Long record. 
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 73 74 75 [76] 77 78 79 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx