gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 06:15:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 ... 79 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love and Mercy - News and Reviews - First clip is out.  (Read 511322 times)
wilsonart1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: June 04, 2015, 07:01:41 PM »

Murray Wilson died on this date in 1973. 
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: June 04, 2015, 07:05:09 PM »

John Cusack appeared on Good Morning America today..  video quality isn't the best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_13dTy4coig

Here's the video from abcnews.com:  http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/john-cusack-takes-beach-boys-legend-love-mercy-31522172
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: June 04, 2015, 07:17:55 PM »

Murray Wilson died on this date in 1973. 

Coincidentially, so did Murry Wilson.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
wilsonart1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: June 04, 2015, 07:35:10 PM »

So sorry autotune.  Thought the info was enough! 
Larry Franz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1404 on: June 04, 2015, 07:58:52 PM »

Yet another positive review ("Pick of the Week")

http://www.salon.com/2015/06/04/love_mercy_brian_wilsons_life_as_a_gorgeous_tragic_fable_of_pop_genius/

As this year proceeds, it might be easier to refer to this "Brian Wilson" without having to explain who he is. We (and people in the media) might eventually assume that people already know.

Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into. (It became fine later on.)
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: June 04, 2015, 08:40:33 PM »

Yet another positive review ("Pick of the Week")

http://www.salon.com/2015/06/04/love_mercy_brian_wilsons_life_as_a_gorgeous_tragic_fable_of_pop_genius/

As this year proceeds, it might be easier to refer to this "Brian Wilson" without having to explain who he is. We (and people in the media) might eventually assume that people already know.

Maybe we can finally do a Google search without having to wade through 100 pictures of bearded ball players, too.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: June 04, 2015, 09:05:59 PM »

The Roots just played Child is the Father of the Man.  That was pretty cool.   Cool
Komera
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: June 04, 2015, 09:10:27 PM »

This probably isn't the best place to link this, as it doesn't actually have anything to do with the movie, but it DOES at least mention Love & Mercy.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/celebrity/john-cusack-slams-president-obama-hes-worse-than-bush/ar-BBkHCic

~~ The MeAjur Komera Waddi ~~
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: June 04, 2015, 09:22:40 PM »

John Cusack on the Tonight Show tonight to promo Love and Mercy. Short and not the most fascinating clip, but it's cool to see it getting big press.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: June 04, 2015, 09:45:24 PM »

We had a session with Teresa Cowles (Carole Kaye in the movie) today and when she got here she said she'd had NPR on in her car, and was quite taken aback to hear her own voice come out of the speakers in a clip from the film.  How cool is that?
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1410 on: June 04, 2015, 10:25:31 PM »

Elizabeth Banks was basically ignored on the Late Late Show...
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1411 on: June 04, 2015, 10:50:42 PM »

A fantastic and respectful touch on the Tonight Show was how The Roots played John Cusack onto the show with "Child Is Father To The Man" complete with multiple overlapping vocals, it's no doubt the Fallon show still "gets it" regarding Brian and the music. Fallon also told Cusack about the appearance Brian made with Jeff Beck, and how when they did Danny Boy the whole room seemed to lift as the music played.

That's *exactly* the feeling I had a few weeks ago in Philly when Brian played and sang God Only Knows.

And for a TV house band - any house band - to play on a guest with "Child Is Father To The Man", we already know Questlove is a major fan especially of Pet Sounds and Smile, but this was an extra special touch. I'll also never forget the time Fallon gave a cold opening introduction on the show (no theme, no monologue) and cut straight to the Beach Boys singing In My Room during C50, that just isn't done on network TV. So kudos, again, for tonight's musical surprise and respect from Jimmy and Questlove and The Roots. They get it.

Great in many ways to see this kind of thing happen.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: June 04, 2015, 10:53:01 PM »

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/being-brian-wilson-john-cusack-paul-dano-wilson-on-beach-boy-biopic-20150604?page=2

"Now, the Beverly Hills hotel meeting room is mostly empty, and the 72-year-old is playfully leading an impromptu doo-wop rendition of "Surf's Up" with the two actors who portray his story of triumph and shattering life struggles."

How the hell do you adapt Surf's Up into doo-wop?
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: June 04, 2015, 11:09:28 PM »

Beautiful homepage 'redesign' for June 5th.

http://www.brianwilson.com

I'll be seeing the film at 11 AM Eastern.

Love and mercy to you all.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
Nile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: June 05, 2015, 03:46:46 AM »

But in "selected cinemas" (not theaters) on June 25? Wonder which country it's for.

All I know that in Croatia it starts on 18th and I´m so happy ´cause I thought that I wouldn´t be able to see it in a cinema!
wilsonart1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: June 05, 2015, 04:51:52 AM »

Today's the Day! Don't stay In Your Room.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #1416 on: June 05, 2015, 05:54:55 AM »

Does anyone know when Love And Mercy will be released in Australian Cinemas?
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: June 05, 2015, 06:05:23 AM »

Does anyone know when Love And Mercy will be released in Australian Cinemas?

June 25th according to these:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,18166.msg521270.html#msg521270

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,18166.msg521268.html#msg521268
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: June 05, 2015, 06:18:19 AM »

The Roots just played Child is the Father of the Man.  That was pretty cool.   Cool

Sorry - clueless as haven't been following the thread closely. Do you mean Questlove of The Roots played CIFOTM? I know he's a smile fan. Covered it live, or played the BB track on a radio show or something?

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: June 05, 2015, 06:25:58 AM »

Unfortunately, negative review in the National Post, a Canadian national newspaper.

http://news.nationalpost.com/arts/love-and-mercy-review-wouldnt-it-be-nice
WonderfulLittlePad
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: June 05, 2015, 06:42:35 AM »

I think I'm going to wait till next weekend and see if it opens up in Baton Rouge then.  Don't feel like driving 3 hours to New Orleans and back to see it yet, but will next weekend if BR doesn't get it then.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1421 on: June 05, 2015, 06:53:45 AM »

Sorry - clueless as haven't been following the thread closely. Do you mean Questlove of The Roots played CIFOTM? I know he's a smile fan. Covered it live, or played the BB track on a radio show or something?

A few posts down the thread:  Smiley

A fantastic and respectful touch on the Tonight Show was how The Roots played John Cusack onto the show with "Child Is Father To The Man" complete with multiple overlapping vocals, it's no doubt the Fallon show still "gets it" regarding Brian and the music. Fallon also told Cusack about the appearance Brian made with Jeff Beck, and how when they did Danny Boy the whole room seemed to lift as the music played.

That's *exactly* the feeling I had a few weeks ago in Philly when Brian played and sang God Only Knows.

And for a TV house band - any house band - to play on a guest with "Child Is Father To The Man", we already know Questlove is a major fan especially of Pet Sounds and Smile, but this was an extra special touch. I'll also never forget the time Fallon gave a cold opening introduction on the show (no theme, no monologue) and cut straight to the Beach Boys singing In My Room during C50, that just isn't done on network TV. So kudos, again, for tonight's musical surprise and respect from Jimmy and Questlove and The Roots. They get it.

Great in many ways to see this kind of thing happen.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1422 on: June 05, 2015, 07:06:03 AM »

I have two theaters within 10-15 minutes from me showing the film, I must be in a good area or something.  Grin  Added bonus, I drove past the one theater location last night and they're having some kind of a carnival in a neighboring commercial complex, with rides, food, games, etc. And it's National Donut Day. What more could you want?  LOL

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: June 05, 2015, 07:11:22 AM »

I have two theaters within 10-15 minutes from me showing the film, I must be in a good area or something.  Grin  Added bonus, I drove past the one theater location last night and they're having some kind of a carnival in a neighboring commercial complex, with rides, food, games, etc. And it's National Donut Day. What more could you want?  LOL
If all goes well, the wife and I will be seeing it at the 4:30 showing at the Ritz in Voorhees. I feel my work day dragging already awaiting 3:00 pm to roll around.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: June 05, 2015, 07:36:39 AM »

Rotten Tomatoes has the critic score up to 88% favorable and the audience score up to 98% favorable. This is huge.

This is fantastic! The creators of this film could not have asked for more. I may not think the film is great myself (though I doubt it) but the bottom line is that the vast majority of critics, and more importantly, the audience themselves seem to really like it.

Great for the entire film crew and especially great for Brian!

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 ... 79 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx