gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680876 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 07:46:11 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 79 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love and Mercy - News and Reviews - First clip is out.  (Read 511728 times)
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1050 on: April 14, 2015, 07:47:09 PM »

Thanks for the first hand insight fellas.  You know how some people are already waiting with baited breath for the new STAR WARS this December (me too, actually) but...LOVE & MERCY is that kind of must-see film for me.

Totally cannot wait — massive understatement.

Upthread someone wondered about the decision to release the film in June.  I can't help but think that it was to in some way also create a buzz about "I Am Brian Wilson" (the biography due from Coronet Publishing, this fall) and vice versa. 

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
Bittersweet-Sanity
Smiley Smile Associate

Busy Doin' Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: April 14, 2015, 07:48:15 PM »

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/04/14/paul-dano-loses-plot-beach-boy-brian-wilson-trailer-love-mercy

“It was a matter of trying to figure out the best way to paint a portrait of this guy,” explains Love & Mercy director Bill Pohlad. “For me, there were two things that started it. Number one, obviously I was into Pet Sounds and knew that [was] the pinnacle of his creative process. So I wanted to deal with that. And then, as I was starting to get to know Brian and Melinda, Melinda told me the story of how they met. She didn’t know who he was, and actually thought he was maybe a homeless guy or something, but he was very charming, and it was only later that she found out he was Brian Wilson. That intrigued me as being a good way into the story. So, that’s how it started—with intertwining those two core storylines and periods.”

"It looks like I'm going to have to go bananas all by myself." -B.W.

"Dr. Landy and Brian Wilson are right out of a storybook." -Brian Wilson

"So maybe Beach Boys fans are stupid and we can dismiss the whole thing. But maybe that's a pretty snotty attitude to take; maybe something is happening here that we just ought to know about" -Paul Williams

"Brian is an enigma, a leprechaun," said rhythm guitarist Al Jardine.

"There ain't a rocketship powerfull enough to be able to blast Jeff's fat ass into space."-Mike's Beard
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: April 14, 2015, 07:52:02 PM »

I saw the movie in Atlanta and the trailer is a decent representation of it, but the pacing is totally wrong. It's less of a love story than it seems in the trailer. It's a weighty experience to see the actual film and I nearly cried at a few of the Dano scenes because they were done so well.

That's a good point.  It's not like there are 30 minutes of running time devoted to Brian and Melinda in bed or something.
shadownoze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: April 14, 2015, 08:36:08 PM »

You ain't seen nothin' yet, folks. The trailer seems like a typical romantic-comedy-drama in its pacing and structure...and the movie is anything BUT typical. Those of you who got emotional over the trailer? Take copious amounts of Kleenex when you go to the theater. It is a powerful movie that will reinforce any affection for Brian that you already have, and take it to a whole new level. I can't wait to see it again.
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: April 14, 2015, 09:11:27 PM »

Upthread someone wondered about the decision to release the film in June.  I can't help but think that it was to in some way also create a buzz about "I Am Brian Wilson" (the biography due from Coronet Publishing, this fall) and vice versa. 

That may be, and to me a summer release makes perfect sense for a Beach Boys related movie...I'm sure Capitol is hoping the film will boost summer sales of BB greatest hits as well as NPP.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: April 14, 2015, 10:08:32 PM »

Rolling Stone= no idea.

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/videos/brian-wilson-faces-manipulation-in-new-love-mercy-trailer-20150414

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1056 on: April 15, 2015, 02:59:57 AM »

Love & Mercy: The Melinda Ledbetter Story is looking pretty good! 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: April 15, 2015, 04:56:13 AM »

Wow, I hadn't realised the official trailer was out. That looks incredible. Weird that I should be moved so much by a trailer. Further down this rabbit hole of fandom than I realised I guess! Cannot wait until June ...

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
wilsonart1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: April 15, 2015, 05:21:32 AM »

In times I wonder, does the line "Can we bring a horse in here"  somehow ties into Andrew G. Doe and this chat room.  A welcome addition! 
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: April 15, 2015, 05:53:30 AM »

http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/videos/a34349/love-and-mercy-trailer/

You hear the Beach Boys two ways in your life. The first is usually as a kid, likely in the backseat of a hot car with the windows down during a family road trip, everybody putting their aggravation on hold for the duration of at least one sing-along. "Kokomo," "I Get Around," "Surfin' U.S.A."—songs you hear once and instantly know by heart. If and when you dig a little deeper into the band's history as you get older, you begin to hear traces of the real Brian Wilson, the sick Brian Wilson, the sad one hiding in plain sight behind songs like "God Only Knows" and "That's Not Me" (for starters). Sweet songs, sure, but not overtly sunny and carefree, not the same songs that made you feel unadulterated happiness when you were young.

Wow, that's very spot on.  Take away "Kokomo" and this mirrors my experience with Brian/Beach Boys music to a 'T'. 

39 years old now...late 70s and early 80s in the car with my mother hearing those songs that felt already engrained in my DNA.  Only to, some years later in my early 20s re-discover the music.  Hearing it with young adult ears just as he writes.

I have a feeling there will be a lot of people (both young and old) that see "Love & Mercy" and will (as the trailer says) 'Once you know the story, you'll never hear the music in quite the same way'.

Such a simple sentence but such absolute truth.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: April 15, 2015, 06:29:51 AM »

Just watched the new trailer twice. f*** me.

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: April 15, 2015, 06:39:49 AM »

http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/videos/a34349/love-and-mercy-trailer/

You hear the Beach Boys two ways in your life. The first is usually as a kid, likely in the backseat of a hot car with the windows down during a family road trip, everybody putting their aggravation on hold for the duration of at least one sing-along. "Kokomo," "I Get Around," "Surfin' U.S.A."—songs you hear once and instantly know by heart. If and when you dig a little deeper into the band's history as you get older, you begin to hear traces of the real Brian Wilson, the sick Brian Wilson, the sad one hiding in plain sight behind songs like "God Only Knows" and "That's Not Me" (for starters). Sweet songs, sure, but not overtly sunny and carefree, not the same songs that made you feel unadulterated happiness when you were young.

Wow, that's very spot on.  Take away "Kokomo" and this mirrors my experience with Brian/Beach Boys music to a 'T'.  

39 years old now...late 70s and early 80s in the car with my mother hearing those songs that felt already engrained in my DNA.  Only to, some years later in my early 20s re-discover the music.  Hearing it with young adult ears just as he writes.

I have a feeling there will be a lot of people (both young and old) that see "Love & Mercy" and will (as the trailer says) 'Once you know the story, you'll never hear the music in quite the same way'.

Such a simple sentence but such absolute truth.

Yes, that does nail it. I loved the BBs music as a kid, kind of lost touch with it as a teen but then had some mental health problems in my late teens and was introduced to Surf's Up and Pet Sounds albums. Compared to the songs that I'd loved as a child (Fun, Fun, Fun, Surfing USA etc) it seemed like the work of a totally different band. It really resonated with the part of me that had had some bad drug experiences and was freaking out at that point. I can think of no other music which has the ability to reflect my own (very different) experience of life over a 38 year period.

I remember listening to When I Grow Up as a kid and during the "won't last forever' tag I would fantasise about growing up and what adult life would be like. Now when I listen to the song I am that adult yet it takes me back to listening to it as a kid - what a paradox! It's almost like time travel! Such a simple lyric yet it perfectly captures the fleetingness of time and the melancholy one feels comprehending it.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 06:41:00 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: April 15, 2015, 07:01:11 AM »

You ain't seen nothin' yet, folks. The trailer seems like a typical romantic-comedy-drama in its pacing and structure...and the movie is anything BUT typical. Those of you who got emotional over the trailer? Take copious amounts of Kleenex when you go to the theater. It is a powerful movie that will reinforce any affection for Brian that you already have, and take it to a whole new level. I can't wait to see it again.

I figured as much by all the other comments by people that have seen the film but its nice to be reassured. That trailer does come off as more of a love story biopic than we know to be true but maybe its intended for the less informed viewer. Or, as it were, appealing to the "chick flick" crowd. And I don't mean that in a bad way....nothing wrong with that.

The acting, directing, sets look awesome.
SteveJ1980
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: April 15, 2015, 07:03:19 AM »

Any news on UK release date??
debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: April 15, 2015, 07:12:09 AM »

I'm almost certain this will be out on dvd/bluray in the US before it gets to cinemas in Australia.

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
dellydel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1065 on: April 15, 2015, 07:52:29 AM »

So um, did 80s era Brian Wilson really jump off a boat with Melinda?  I'm gonna guess noooooooooooo?

(altho I know Brian will uncharacteristically do "brave" things like getting into the ocean on a surfboard for that skit with Aykroyd and Belushi, and I believe there's video of him cliff diving in Hawaii in the 60s, right?)
Larry Franz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1066 on: April 15, 2015, 08:00:24 AM »

(I was typing this at the same time. It's cosmic.)

I don't want to sound negative or picky or cynical or anything like that in this moment of excitement, good feelings and high expectations, because the movie is clearly going to be wonderful, and I understand artistic license, even in a cinematic biographical context, but it's still bugging me:

Brian jumping in the water with Melinda and then swimming what looks like quite a distance to shore?? (I thought he doesn't even like the ocean.)

Besides, if Mr. Brian Douglas Wilson wanted to get to the beach from that boat, couldn't he just walk?  Grin
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 08:18:01 AM by Larry Franz » Logged

Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into. (It became fine later on.)
wilsonart1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: April 15, 2015, 08:40:11 AM »

You and Me America were gonna walk into this theatre and everything is going to CHANGE...this summer.  Brian this is your wave!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: April 15, 2015, 08:46:22 AM »

I was fortunate enough to see this trailer when it was first released for that short bit of time. I've been dying to see it ever since.

Truly one of the best movie trailers I have ever seen. That moment when Dano takes his headphones off, and towards the end of the trailer when he is crying...MAN this is going to be a powerful movie. No doubt in my mind this will be THE movie that will really help change that fun/sun perception of the Beach Boys. Not that there's anything wrong with fun/sun/happiness, but I want people to know the incredible depth of this music, to know the story behind all the sadness and joy. There is so much more to this music than people think. I really can't wait for this!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: April 15, 2015, 08:56:57 AM »

So um, did 80s era Brian Wilson really jump off a boat with Melinda?  I'm gonna guess noooooooooooo?

He relates to Usher that he tried to commit suicide by swimming into the ocean in the mid 1980s. So he did swim.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Musketeer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: April 15, 2015, 09:09:21 AM »

I have not seen the movie but I would guess they did that to get some private time away from Landy's  assistants.
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: April 15, 2015, 09:14:06 AM »

I don't want to sound negative or picky or cynical or anything like that in this moment of excitement, good feelings and high expectations, because the movie is clearly going to be wonderful, and I understand artistic license, even in a cinematic biographical context, but it's still bugging me:

Brian jumping in the water with Melinda and then swimming what looks like quite a distance to shore?? (I thought he doesn't even like the ocean.)

Besides, if Mr. Brian Douglas Wilson wanted to get to the beach from that boat, couldn't he just walk?  Grin
[/quote
So it starts.
It happened. It's accurate. The only thing in the scene that is not accurate is the color of Melinda Ledbetter's dress
Larry Franz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1072 on: April 15, 2015, 09:34:33 AM »

Ray Lawlor wrote:

So it starts.
It happened. It's accurate. The only thing in the scene that is not accurate is the color of Melinda Ledbetter's dress

I think it started some months ago, but thanks for clearing that up. It looks like I wasn't the only one wondering.

Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into. (It became fine later on.)
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: April 15, 2015, 09:37:45 AM »

Let's give the movie some artistic license for Pete's sake. Maybe it's a metaphor. I intend to view the movie as this director's viewpoint of what happened to BDW, not a freakin' documentary.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1074 on: April 15, 2015, 09:41:20 AM »

Let's give the movie some artistic license for Pete's sake. Maybe it's a metaphor. I intend to view the movie as this director's viewpoint of what happened to BDW, not a freakin' documentary.

No metaphor in this case:

So it starts.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 79 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx