gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680874 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 01:53:12 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... 79 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love and Mercy - News and Reviews - First clip is out.  (Read 511689 times)
carnegiehall
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: April 02, 2015, 12:08:38 PM »

Last week I had the good fortune to be invited to a screening of Love and Mercy by a journalist friend. Having followed this saga for over 50 years, I was extremely curious to see if Brian's story was finally going to be told correctly. After Summer Dreams and An American Family, I had given up all hope that we would ever see anything bordering on accurate.

Well be rest assured that day has finally come. From the opening scene to the closing credits I sat mesmerized. Over the years I have seen the Beach Boys at Carnegie Hall and Brian's first performance of Pet Sounds, Smile and Lucky Old Sun. Seeing this movie ranks up there with those experiences.

Paul Dano and John Cusack knock it out of the park in their portrayal of Mr. Wilson. Elizabeth Banks is perfectly cast as Melinda and Paul Giamatti oozes the right amount of sleaze as Eugene Landy. The cutting back and forth between the 60's and 80's is handled seamlessly and adds to the drama as opposed to a linear approach. The score by Atticus Ross is mind blowing and should one day be incorporated in a Cirque du Soleil performance. The 60's sequences, especially in addressing the groups reactions to Pet Sounds and Smile are fair and balanced (sorry Fox News). Hopefully come next February, we will have a major reason to watch the Academy Awards.

I know where I will be on June 5th.
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #1001 on: April 02, 2015, 12:22:36 PM »

Last week I had the good fortune to be invited to a screening of Love and Mercy by a journalist friend. Having followed this saga for over 50 years, I was extremely curious to see if Brian's story was finally going to be told correctly. After Summer Dreams and An American Family, I had given up all hope that we would ever see anything bordering on accurate.

Well be rest assured that day has finally come. From the opening scene to the closing credits I sat mesmerized. Over the years I have seen the Beach Boys at Carnegie Hall and Brian's first performance of Pet Sounds, Smile and Lucky Old Sun. Seeing this movie ranks up there with those experiences.

Paul Dano and John Cusack knock it out of the park in their portrayal of Mr. Wilson. Elizabeth Banks is perfectly cast as Melinda and Paul Giamatti oozes the right amount of sleaze as Eugene Landy. The cutting back and forth between the 60's and 80's is handled seamlessly and adds to the drama as opposed to a linear approach. The score by Atticus Ross is mind blowing and should one day be incorporated in a Cirque du Soleil performance. The 60's sequences, especially in addressing the groups reactions to Pet Sounds and Smile are fair and balanced (sorry Fox News). Hopefully come next February, we will have a major reason to watch the Academy Awards.

I know where I will be on June 5th.

Thanks Carnegiehall - June 5th is a given for many of us and the Oscars would be fabulous.  I hope Jean Sievers isn't sick of buying Oscar evening-wear between Jeff Bridges and Brian.   Grin
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1002 on: April 03, 2015, 05:37:26 AM »

The German package of NPP includes a booklet sized flyer advertising Love&Mercy to open June 11.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Cristian Kiper
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: April 03, 2015, 06:51:47 AM »

In Argentina the movie will be screened during the second half of April as part of the Buenos Aires international indie film festival: http://festivales.buenosaires.gob.ar/2015/bafici/es/pelicula/376
Bittersweet-Sanity
Smiley Smile Associate

Busy Doin' Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: April 03, 2015, 12:13:40 PM »

http://www.sffs.org/sfiff58/program/love-and-mercy#.VR7lwOHIXYg
Just bought a ticket to a screening of Love and Mercy in San Francisco on May 1st. Part of the SF FilmFest. Can't wait.

"It looks like I'm going to have to go bananas all by myself." -B.W.

"Dr. Landy and Brian Wilson are right out of a storybook." -Brian Wilson

"So maybe Beach Boys fans are stupid and we can dismiss the whole thing. But maybe that's a pretty snotty attitude to take; maybe something is happening here that we just ought to know about" -Paul Williams

"Brian is an enigma, a leprechaun," said rhythm guitarist Al Jardine.

"There ain't a rocketship powerfull enough to be able to blast Jeff's fat ass into space."-Mike's Beard
beacharg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: April 03, 2015, 12:47:29 PM »

In Argentina the movie will be screened during the second half of April as part of the Buenos Aires international indie film festival: http://festivales.buenosaires.gob.ar/2015/bafici/es/pelicula/376

Well those are some incredible and unexpected news!!! I'm from Bs As!
Thanks so much! I'll get my tickets as soon as possible! Smiley
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 07:28:08 PM by beacharg » Logged
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1006 on: April 04, 2015, 07:30:22 PM »

Beach Boy Brian Wilson says biopic 'Love & Mercy' gets it right

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-et-ms-brian-wilson-20150404-story.html#page=1

They sure did. Just you folks wait!
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #1007 on: April 06, 2015, 06:22:59 AM »

Beach Boy Brian Wilson says biopic 'Love & Mercy' gets it right

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-et-ms-brian-wilson-20150404-story.html#page=1

They sure did. Just you folks wait!

Thanks, Ontor - and I love the fact that the article is also timely and addresses NPP:  I love the Kasey Musgraves quote:  "..."He would not accept mediocre as an answer — not that I feel I'm a mediocre singer. But today there are a lot of producers and other people who will say 'That's fine — we can tune it later if it's not perfect.' Not Brian — he wanted it perfect."  So those hearing auto-tunafish on this one, well...not according to Kacey Musgraves, anyway.
beacharg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: April 06, 2015, 07:14:58 PM »

Well those are some incredible and unexpected news!!! I'm from Bs As!
Thanks so much! I'll get my tickets as soon as possible! Smiley

Got them!  3D
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: April 06, 2015, 11:40:05 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLH7HwtdPKI

Very cool

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #1010 on: April 06, 2015, 11:59:55 PM »

I like how that guy in the audience tries to ask a question about no pier pressure and brian just waves him off. 
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: April 07, 2015, 12:12:37 AM »

L&M announced for the Sydney Film Festival in June: http://www.sff.org.au/public/news/sydney-film-festival-announces-first-films-for-2015/
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: April 07, 2015, 12:17:43 AM »

I rang them today. May the 6th the schedule is released. You can buy individual tickets then.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: April 07, 2015, 02:55:27 AM »

I rang them today. May the 6th the schedule is released. You can buy individual tickets then.

Thanks for the info!
Slow In Brain
Smiley Smile Associate

Rainbow Eyes

View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: April 07, 2015, 03:50:41 AM »

I will be definitely going to this... 20 years ago at the Wellington Film Festival I saw the movie that Don Was made, it is quite an experience seeing on the big screen.

"When the time comes an American can't tell the truth because the Government doesn't, that's the time to give the country back to the Indians, if they'll have it." - Sam Holland

"What draws us all closer and makes us all care. Is not what we have, but the things that we share." - Jill Wolf
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: April 07, 2015, 11:14:59 PM »

Bits and pieces of this were posted elsewhere, it was nice to see the full panel discussion.  Thank you for posting.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: April 10, 2015, 07:34:45 AM »

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/apr/09/beach-boy-brian-wilson-punk-rock-love-and-mercy

sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: April 13, 2015, 06:12:52 AM »

Not 100% sure that this is the official movie poster but it looks like it might be.

Also of note...Brian mentioned (to a question) in his Twitter Q/A that the full trailer would be out "in a couple of weeks".  Taken absolutely literally, that would be this week.

Hoping so... 

GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: April 13, 2015, 12:47:02 PM »

Also of note...Brian mentioned (to a question) in his Twitter Q/A that the full trailer would be out "in a couple of weeks".  Taken absolutely literally, that would be this week.

Hoping so...  

That was me who asked the question... and yes, the trailer's going to be released tomorrow 3:00 p.m. EST on Brian's facebook page!
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: April 13, 2015, 12:58:36 PM »

That was me who asked the question... and yes, the trailer's going to be released tomorrow 3:00 p.m. EST on Brian's facebook page!

Nice!  And about 5 minutes later on YouTube I'm sure.   Smokin

Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1020 on: April 13, 2015, 01:09:13 PM »

I understand wanting to release this around Summertime, but it's a very tough competetive time of year for screen space. My concern is that this movie will get a very limited release, or maybe even a straight-to-digital release. I was hoping it would be something that a lot of people would see, but I'm doubtful of that. Anyone have some dish on the release/marketing strategy for this?

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: April 13, 2015, 01:28:18 PM »

« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 01:41:26 PM by JCM » Logged

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: April 13, 2015, 03:03:27 PM »

Awesome new trailer tomorrow! 3D
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: April 14, 2015, 12:10:21 PM »

New trailer:  https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10153229149892241&set=vb.34250497240&type=2&theater
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: April 14, 2015, 12:14:38 PM »

Blew me away just like I knew it would.

Hurry up June 5th, please!?!

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... 79 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx