gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 11:29:49 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feeling confused...who's the hero and who's the villain?  (Read 14514 times)
schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 20, 2014, 10:55:15 AM »

Hey people, I just bought Priore's book a couple of weeks ago. I'm half-way through (reading it on my way to work) and the more I read, the more confused I get about how I feel for some band members. Was Mike Love such a douche bag back during the Smile sessions? Was Van Dyke Parks the savior of the band in the 70s when he got them the Warner contract and gave them 'Sail On, Sailor'? Was Carl really involved in forcing Brian to abandon the Redwood project?

I know real life has too many shades and not everything is black and white. But come on, the more I read about the BBs, the less attractive as human beings they appear to me!

I've read other books (really liked the one from Carlin), watched countless documentaries and I spend a lot of my time in this board.  And the more I get to know about the band, the more inclined I feel to put them in either a 'Hero' or 'Villain' label, so as to reduce the complexity of how I see them, you know? Its definitely not the right to do, but its part of human nature when there are just too many variables to work with.

For example, is Brian a Hero or a Villain? This would be a quick analysis based on the information available to me:
Reasons for Hero
  • All the wonderful music he made
  • Completing Smile in 2014 - that sure took a lot of guts
  • Continue to tour at his age so as (newer) fans can see him live

Reasons for Villain
  • Canning Smile back in 1967
  • Wasting a big chunk of his life doing drugs
  • Not taking control of his life and letting others make all key decisions

Verdict: Hero, anyone who writes something as beautiful as 'Surf's up' will have a chance when facing God for judgement

What do you think of this approach? Anyone has the same mixed feelings and its attempting a way to minimize the emotional complexity?

In any case, even if Mike ends up labeled as Villain, that wont stop me from going to see him play next time he comes to Montreal. But it will put into perspective whatever I hear him say when he gives an interview.

"Maybe if we think and wish and hope and pray...it might come true
Baby then there wouldn't be a single thing we couldn't do..."
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 11:07:34 AM »

The Beach Boys are like everyone else who has ever lived on this Earth; sometimes we are all Heroes and Villains at different times in our life.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 11:11:47 AM »

The Beach Boys are like everyone else who has ever lived on this Earth; sometimes we are all Heroes and Villains at different times in our life.

Yes, I agree. My intent was to understand a bit more why some of them were Heros or Villains at a certain time. And just to see how people analyze and categorize them.

For example, Mike Love gets a lot of flak in this board, but seems to me that a lot is just free riding - he's bad because I heard he was bad. But if you list his good deeds and his asshole moments, wouldnt that give you (and everyone who reads this post) a better understanding on how you see this person?

Anyways, just wanted to start an interesting discussion...

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 11:26:30 AM »

Hey people, I just bought Priore's book a couple of weeks ago. I'm half-way through (reading it on my way to work) and the more I read, the more confused I get about how I feel for some band members. Was Mike Love such a douche bag back during the Smile sessions? Was Van Dyke Parks the savior of the band in the 70s when he got them the Warner contract and gave them 'Sail On, Sailor'? Was Carl really involved in forcing Brian to abandon the Redwood project?

That would be the 2005 Smile book ? You should know that there's a lot of claims in there that have either been disproven, or have the shakiest possible foundation.

Example: Mike was filmed by Oppenheim having an argument with Brian about the "Surf's Up" lyrics. No, he wasn't. No mention of any such thing in Oppenheim's filming notes.

Example: The Beatles covertly listened to Smile tapes in LA and that informed Sgt. Pepper's. No, they didn't. Couldn't have. The respective timelines don't mesh. VPD later recanted his claim in any case.

Example: the Redwood incident. There's a single source for that, Chuck Negron's autobiography. Danny Hutton's never said word one about it in the ensuing 46-odd years. And he would.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 11:30:14 AM »

A huge part of becoming a Beach Boys' fan, besides all the great music, is because of the insane characters, the long saga and the prevalent craziness. Why would you want to spoil all your fun reducing everyone to heroes vs villains?

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 11:33:42 AM »

Hi Andrew, yes, the 2005 one. Thanks for your clarifications, I knew you and other people had mentioned before that Priore's book was not 100% accurate. But when you're relatively new to the BBs history, books and documentaries such as his are the main source of info.

If I may ask, how would you rank them? I apologize in advanced for the use of the word 'Rank', but what would be in your opinion the key Hero and Villain moments of each band member? You have a lot of first-hand insight, so I'm really curious to see how you would review them.

And again thanks for the previous post, it made it worthwhile to have created this thread  Smiley
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 11:34:49 AM by schiaffino » Logged

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 11:38:21 AM »

A huge part of becoming a Beach Boys' fan, besides all the great music, is because of the insane characters, the long saga and the prevalent craziness. Why would you want to spoil all your fun reducing everyone to heroes vs villains?

This.

I have trouble classifying anyone in my faovorite band as either "hero" or "villain". I don't quite understand the point of this thread.  Huh
schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 11:41:23 AM »

I just want to know how people, with more experience and insight than me on the BBs history, evaluate the band members. And instead of just getting a 'Bruce is a boring tag-along', I'd like to get the arguments behind their opinions. I know its a lot to ask, but it was worth giving a shot.

And by no means I want to reduce the fun of being a BBs fan. At all. I wanna know moreeeee

schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 11:45:15 AM »

This.

I have trouble classifying anyone in my faovorite band as either "hero" or "villain". I don't quite understand the point of this thread.  Huh

<sigh> I understand. The final verdict part is not necessary if it doesnt make sense.

But I mean, I'm sure that even though you like Carl (for example) there might be things about him that really get to your nerves. Call this group therapy about our fav group so as for all us to voice how we view them and exchange opinions. I'm sure it could make an interesting thread.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 11:49:24 AM »

Except for Bruce - he's God

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 11:50:30 AM »

Except for Bruce - he's God

LOL

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 11:56:38 AM »

That would be the 2005 Smile book ? You should know that there's a lot of claims in there that have either been disproven, or have the shakiest possible foundation.

Example: Mike was filmed by Oppenheim having an argument with Brian about the "Surf's Up" lyrics. No, he wasn't. No mention of any such thing in Oppenheim's filming notes.

Example: The Beatles covertly listened to Smile tapes in LA and that informed Sgt. Pepper's. No, they didn't. Couldn't have. The respective timelines don't mesh. VPD later recanted his claim in any case.

Example: the Redwood incident. There's a single source for that, Chuck Negron's autobiography. Danny Hutton's never said word one about it in the ensuing 46-odd years. And he would.
And we now know that not only did the BB play on the Darlin track, Carl played drums on the initial session while the song was still intended for Redwood, thereby disproving the Negron story for good.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 11:59:49 AM »

I just want to know how people, with more experience and insight than me on the BBs history, evaluate the band members. And instead of just getting a 'Bruce is a boring tag-along', I'd like to get the arguments behind their opinions. I know its a lot to ask, but it was worth giving a shot.

And by no means I want to reduce the fun of being a BBs fan. At all. I wanna know moreeeee

Well, you might start then. Who's a hero and who's a villain in your opinion, and why? We'd love to read your evaluation.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 12:12:37 PM »

If I may ask, how would you rank them? I apologize in advanced for the use of the word 'Rank', but what would be in your opinion the key Hero and Villain moments of each band member? You have a lot of first-hand insight, so I'm really curious to see how you would review them.

And again thanks for the previous post, it made it worthwhile to have created this thread  Smiley

Simple - no heroes, no villains. Just a zillion shades of gray. Everyone's had their moments.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2014, 12:29:22 PM »

Besides, if you read anything that Priore wrote, you'll find that most of it places Brian in the Hero category, while Mike Love is going to be lower than a Villain. His work seems to be, um, slanted in one direction.
schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2014, 12:34:45 PM »

Ok this is how I feel about them:

Carl
Hero because
  • He fought for the band and for their musical integrity (until mid 70s at least)
  • He made copies of the Smile tapes with Desper that saved the music for posterity
  • He contributed in the studio, playing with the Wrecking Crew as a session musician and learning how to produce (from Brian)
  • Bonus: He helped finish Love You, my fav BBs album after Pet Sounds  Smiley

Villain because
  • He failed to keep the band from becoming an oldies act after 'Endless Summer' - if he was the band leader, then yes, it is his responsibility
  • Why did he took so long to get Brian away from Landy? I mean, come on, he should have acted sooner
  • He failed to deliver good songs after Feel Flows...its a big disappointment 'cause that song and LPR are so good, it makes you wonder what else he could have done...

Dennis
Hero because
  • He was the balls in a rather nerdy-looking band
  • He was always an unconditional supporter of Brian
  • He wrote some good stuff and he even let some songs intended for Bamboo on LA - think that was very generous

Villain because
  • Seems he was an asshole womanizer, even getting his way with the wives of the other band members
  • He didnt take performing seriously after the mid 70s, getting drunk, showing up naked...losing his performer credibility
  • He failed to stand up for Brian during Smile and later when the band lost direction in the late 70s

Mike
Hero because
  • He had the guts and ambition to take the frontman role in a band full of shy nerds
  • He co-wrote some amazing songs, he was a very valuable collaborator - whenever he wanted to be
  • He still tours, at 70+, doing more shows than most kid bands nowadays...RESPECT

Villain because
  • Failed to grasp the musical moment post 1966 summer, which led him to not support the band in projects like Smile and Monterrey
  • Made too many enemies in the industry, hurting the image of the band - the RnR Hall of Fame speech is such a bad moment for Mike  Sad
  • Keeps on playing Kokomo and pretends like its the big deal - oh Mike if there's one thing I cant forgive you is that piece of shi***

Al
Hero because
  • Lived a healthy life, so he has still a great voice and allowed us to enjoy it during the C50 tour
  • Came back to play with the BBs and not pursue a career in dentistry
  • He came up with the idea of covering Sloop John B...good call!

Villain because
  • Never really produced good material for the band
  • Its impossible to understand how he feels about Mike: one moment he criticizes him publicly about ending C50, the next he plays with him live...dont get it
  • Should have stopped pretending he plays guitar and just do bass - apparently he was very good at it in the early days

Bruce
Hero because
  • His musical skills and the quality of his playing/singing for the band
  • Came back in the late 70s when he could have had a successful solo career
  • Continues to tour at his age so for us to enjoy his mic adjusting  Smiley

Villain because
  • He could have done so much more in a producer role with his skills; feels like he never really went that extra mile, both LA and KTSA are so lame...
  • Wears shorts during concerts, WTF??? He's clearly not Angus Young!!!
  • Contributed to the whole cheesy BBs 80s image in a conscious way and for someone as smart as he is...its just so wrong

I already did Brian and I dont know much about David to make this analysis. What do you think?

schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2014, 12:37:54 PM »

Well, you might start then. Who's a hero and who's a villain in your opinion, and why? We'd love to read your evaluation.

Just did, let me know what you think

schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2014, 12:41:59 PM »

Simple - no heroes, no villains. Just a zillion shades of gray. Everyone's had their moments.

Any key shades of dark and light gray among the zillion ones? Like if you were to be Mike's attorney in the heavenly court of musicianship, what would be your top arguments?

Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2014, 12:50:51 PM »

Dennis
Hero because
  • He was the balls in a rather nerdy-looking band
  • He was always an unconditional supporter of Brian
  • He wrote some good stuff and he even let some songs intended for Bamboo on LA - think that was very generous

Villain because
  • Seems he was an asshole womanizer, even getting his way with the wives of the other band members
  • He didnt take performing seriously after the mid 70s, getting drunk, showing up naked...losing his performer credibility
  • He failed to stand up for Brian during Smile and later when the band lost direction in the late 70s

I don't believe Dennis ever showed up naked. He streaked onstage a few times in the '70s when streaking was big. There's a big difference.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2014, 12:55:58 PM »

Carl
Hero because
  • He fought for the band and for their musical integrity (until mid 70s at least)
  • He made copies of the Smile tapes with Desper that saved the music for posterity
  • He contributed in the studio, playing with the Wrecking Crew as a session musician and learning how to produce (from Brian)
  • Bonus: He helped finish Love You, my fav BBs album after Pet Sounds  Smiley

Villain because
  • He failed to keep the band from becoming an oldies act after 'Endless Summer' - if he was the band leader, then yes, it is his responsibility
  • Why did he took so long to get Brian away from Landy? I mean, come on, he should have acted sooner
  • He failed to deliver good songs after Feel Flows...its a big disappointment 'cause that song and LPR are so good, it makes you wonder what else he could have done...

You're wrong about Carl and Oldies Act thing. Turns out it was Dennis who went to Guercio, who in turn to make them Superstars again, had them go the Greatest Hits/Oldies route.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 12:57:00 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2014, 12:59:08 PM »

You're wrong about Carl and Oldies Act thing. Turns out it was Dennis who went to Guercio, who in turn to make them Superstars again, had them go the Greatest Hits/Oldies route.

Ok, but wasnt Carl calling the shots on the band material in the early to mid 70s? Or was Dennis so influential at that time direction-wise?

And what would be the source for this, if I may ask?

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2014, 01:03:27 PM »

Ok, but wasnt Carl calling the shots on the band material in the early to mid 70s? Or was Dennis so influential at that time direction-wise?

And what would be the source for this, if I may ask?

The band decided together to send Dennis to Jim Guercio. It was his suggestions and management of the band that led to a second Superstardom, especially in 75 & 76. Can't remember if it was Jon, Ed, David Beard or someone else who mentioned it, but it was mentioned in here, say in the last 2-3 weeks.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 01:05:49 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2014, 01:05:32 PM »

He failed to stand up for Brian during Smile and later when the band lost direction in the late 70s

Dennis was always a supporter of Smile. He was one of the first to share the tapes!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 01:07:22 PM by Woodstock » Logged

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2014, 01:28:13 PM »

Carl
Hero because
  • Bonus: He helped finish Love You, my fav BBs album after Pet Sounds  Smiley

Villain because

'Carl failed to deliver good songs after Feel Flows...' Er, well, there was 'Trader', his absolute masterpiece, two albums later.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2014, 01:43:20 PM »

He failed to stand up for Brian during Smile and later when the band lost direction in the late 70s

Dennis was always a supporter of Smile. He was one of the first to share the tapes!
Yeah... saying "Dennis failed to stand up for Brian during Smile" is a total mis-read of the historical record.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx