gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680874 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 02:00:23 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stack-o-Tracks  (Read 12235 times)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2014, 04:04:48 AM »

The Beach Boys, Stack-O-Tracks, Capitol Records-EMI Music [Canada] #DKAO-2893 [Duophonic] (1968).[LP]  No Booklet?

The Beach Boys, Stack-O-Tracks, Capitol Records-EMI [UK] #E-ST 24009 (1968).[LP]  Interesting that you have this as it wasn't released until 1976. Must be a typo!

Nonetheless, Quite a nice collection!!  I suppose you have every CD issue to date? 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2014, 07:25:49 AM »

Actually, I just removed that one from the list, as I had the correct info for the record on the line underneath it. Typo. It's the reissue from 1976.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2014, 11:57:33 AM »

I haven't listened to it for a while but I remember always thinking that something was wrong with GOK's outro (except for the missing vocals of course Cheesy). At one time I even thought they edited parts of the intro in that place (probably nonsense). Dunno....

BTW it's been mentioned on this board and I would like to agree that the cover of the album is great. One of their best imo

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2014, 12:39:25 PM »

I always thought they coulda spent a little more time preventing the leakage. Don't think it was intentional but a mistake that got through.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2014, 02:33:14 PM »

Actually, I just removed that one from the list, as I had the correct info for the record on the line underneath it. Typo. It's the reissue from 1976.

OK, that makes sense!  And your Canadian issue does/doesn't have the booklet? 

Here's my collection of Stack-O-Tracks.  Beat this, mofos.....

The Beach Boys, Stack-O-Tracks, Capitol Records #DKAO-2893 [Duophonic] (1968).[Gatefold LP with Booklet]
The Beach Boys, Stack-O-Tracks, Capitol Records #DKAO-2893 (1968).[LP with no Booklet]

I removed most  of your list( obviously) but I didn't realize you wanted everyone to list EVERY Copy we have.  As with many ( Most?) collectors, I have multiple copies of almost all their releases, in varying conditions. \
 I think in the case of this one, I have 4 or 5 of the USA stock and at least 3 of the Capitol Club. 
With the Club, the best reason to get it is the alternate photos, as everything else is the same.   

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2014, 03:31:12 PM »

OK, I'll come clean. I only have six of those items on that list. And that's really all I care to have at this point. I bought my original U.S. copies back in the 70's and didn't pay ridiculous prices for them. But the above list of U.S., UK, and Japanese pressings of the album is pretty comprehensive. It's what's out there, and I'm sure there are many more from other countries.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2014, 06:53:04 PM »

OK, I'll come clean. I only have six of those items on that list. And that's really all I care to have at this point. I bought my original U.S. copies back in the 70's and didn't pay ridiculous prices for them. But the above list of U.S., UK, and Japanese pressings of the album is pretty comprehensive. It's what's out there, and I'm sure there are many more from other countries.

Darn it all, Mikie!!  Here I was thinking you really DO have a collection. 
Since you're sure there are many more from other countries, I hope someone points them out. 
Figure if anyone here has other CDs not mentioned, it would be beachboys_fr 

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2014, 07:18:48 PM »

Darn it all, Mikie!!  Here I was thinking you really DO have a collection.

But I do have a collection, Bgas. I really do. It's a nice one and I'm happy with it. I just don't have that dire need for competition and for playing "one-upmanship" with others, that's all.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 07:21:59 PM by Mikie » Logged

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2014, 07:22:31 PM »

Darn it all, Mikie!!  Here I was thinking you really DO have a collection.

But I do have a collection, Bgas. I really do. It's a nice one and I'm happy with it. I just don't have that dire need for competition and to play "one-upmanship" with other collectors all the time, that's all.

WOW!  There are folks playing  "one-upmanship" ?  Who are they?

Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2014, 07:27:43 PM »

I have the EMI Canada '68 copy with booklet. In the corner on the back of the booklet it says "Printed in the USA."

And since we're at it, I also have a '76 UK issue and the 2001 Party twofer.

Watch out for snakes!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2014, 07:36:56 PM »

I have the EMI Canada '68 copy with booklet. In the corner on the back of the booklet it says "Printed in the USA."

Thanxx!

Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2014, 08:10:49 PM »

I imagine the Canadian copy may technically be "rarer" than the US copy. Any idea how many copies it sold in Canada compared to the US/elsewhere?

Watch out for snakes!
branaa09
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2014, 08:30:17 PM »

I always thought they coulda spent a little more time preventing the leakage. Don't think it was intentional but a mistake that got through.

Are you referring to the quiet vocals on some of the Backing Tracks? It's most noticeable on Catch a Wave and Little Saint Nick. I think it was some to with how old tracks are, for example listen to the Backing Track for Surfin' USA and Fun, Fun, Fun on Hawthorne. There is still some slight bleed from vocals, even though the tracks were recorded first before vocals. Maybe only the finished master exists for a couple of early songs at the time, so the vocals have a bleed onto the basic tracks? Maybe someone can clear this up.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2014, 08:31:50 PM »

My name is stack-o-tracks and I really never listen to this album. Catchy name though.

No mas, por favor.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2014, 08:33:27 PM »

LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2014, 08:56:32 PM »

Are you referring to the quiet vocals on some of the Backing Tracks? It's most noticeable on Catch a Wave and Little Saint Nick.

Yeah, the leakage was discussed before, but I forget where. It seems like somebody (Desper or Carl?) was in a hurry and at the ends of the songs the vocals appear. I don't believe this was on purpose (like a couple of songs from the Pet Sounds Box Set) where the vocals appear and disappear again in favor of hearing the backing track. I think it's a mistake, but if it was bleed-over from an adjacent track, you would have noticed it at the beginning or middle of the song too, right?

I know Steve Desper would have an explanation. This is the first Beach Boys album he worked on. Maybe it happened during the mixing or mastering; maybe it didn't. But I don't think it was intentional.

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2014, 09:23:59 PM »

Are you referring to the quiet vocals on some of the Backing Tracks? It's most noticeable on Catch a Wave and Little Saint Nick.

Yeah, the leakage was discussed before, but I forget where. It seems like somebody (Desper or Carl?) was in a hurry and at the ends of the songs the vocals appear. I don't believe this was on purpose (like a couple of songs from the Pet Sounds Box Set) where the vocals appear and disappear again in favor of hearing the backing track. I think it's a mistake, but if it was bleed-over from an adjacent track, you would have noticed it at the beginning or middle of the song too, right?

I know Steve Desper would have an explanation. This is the first Beach Boys album he worked on. Maybe it happened during the mixing or mastering; maybe it didn't. But I don't think it was intentional.

To me, it seems the vocals at the end of the "Stack O' Tracks" mix of "Little Saint Nick" are endearingly deliberate. And Desper has stated that he worked on "Smiley" and "Friends", which predate "Stacks".
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2014, 11:25:29 PM »

Seems as though the Stack-o-Tracks version of "Little Saint Nick" released as part of the 1977 UK single (CL 15954) suffers from the same vocal leakage.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2014, 11:52:28 PM »

The bleed through on Little St. Nick is there because they used the celesta/sleighbell track from the single version, which has "ghost" vocal leakage because it was overdubbed after the vocals had been recorded.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2014, 04:10:01 AM »

The bleed through on Little St. Nick is there because they used the celesta/sleighbell track from the single version, which has "ghost" vocal leakage because it was overdubbed after the vocals had been recorded.

And that's because they used a monitor speaker rather than headphones while adding that overdub. Which is also why you can hear "ghost" instruments on the a cappella mix of "Surfer Girl", for instance.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2014, 07:32:07 AM »

To me, it seems the vocals at the end of the "Stack O' Tracks" mix of "Little Saint Nick" are endearingly deliberate. And Desper has stated that he worked on "Smiley" and "Friends", which predate "Stacks".

Yeah, I distinctly remember Steve saying in a post one day that working with Carl on Stack-o-Tracks was when he first started working on Beach Boys recordings. Before I posted that, I looked up and down and around and couldn't find any credits for him on the Friends album, so I figured it was true. But he would know!

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2014, 10:16:51 AM »

Who else has an original Stack-O-Tracks album? It's considered a collectors item, and arguably/unarguably the hardest one to find, especially in very good condition with the booklet intact.

gxios
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2014, 12:54:54 PM »

I've got an original.  In 1973 a box of sealed unsold ones showed up at an old Bethesda, MD store called Discount Book and Records.  Price- $3.99.  They also had a bunch of sealed duophonic "Party" albums for the same price- I bought both that day.  The next week they were gone.  Never seen or heard  of a mono "Stack".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2014, 01:48:55 PM »

Um... first BB album SWD worked on was Friends, which he mixed... or so he told me in 1985 (if you're being super picky, Smile was the first).

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2014, 02:35:47 PM »

Um... first BB album SWD worked on was Friends, which he mixed... or so he told me in 1985 (if you're being super picky, Smile was the first).

Funny. I just now did five (5) Google searches on the Friends album and on the various websites the name Jim Lockert came up under the "Engineer" credit. Mid-April '68, Badman has a musician named Vescovo coming into Brian's studio to play on Diamond Head with Lockert at the controls (I know, Badman stated it). And there's more references to Lockert for the album. Maybe both Desper and Lockert were working on various tracks for the album. Desper obviously worked on Do It Again in May, June '68.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 02:59:05 PM by Mikie » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx