gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680876 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 06:15:47 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stack-o-Tracks  (Read 12237 times)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 19, 2014, 10:23:28 AM »

Released 46 years ago today,  August 19, 1968.  Carl & Desper's baby.  Shoulda been called "The Beach Boys Meet The Wrecking Crew". Although a few of the tracks were played by The Boys themselves. Should it have been a vocals only album instead since The Beach Boys were more known for their vocal arrangements? Was this the first "karaoke" record of all time?

Which copies of Stack-o-Tracks do you have? An original American vinyl copy in stereo? An original American vinyl copy in mono? Do you have an original copy with the book? How about the  reissued UK vinyl copy from 1976? Or the reissued U.S. vinyl copy from 1994? The 1990 or 2001 reissue on CD? Other?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 02:49:08 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 10:29:23 AM »

I have an original stereo copy DKAO 2893 minus the 16 page song book. The vinyl and the cover are in good condition. My favorite BB album cover of all time! I bought it on ebay back in 2000.

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 11:05:37 AM »

Released 46 years ago today,  August 19, 1968.  Carl & Desper's baby.  Shoulda been called "The Beach Boys Meet The Wrecking Crew". Although a few of the tracks were played by The Boys themselves.
A few? Try 9 out of the 15 tracks feature the Beach Boys on the core instruments. Darlin, In My Room, Catch A Wave, Wild Honey, Little Saint Nick, Do It Again, Surfer Girl, Little Honda, You're So Good To Me all are predominantly the Beach Boys themselves on the instruments.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 11:07:48 AM by Jon Stebbins » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 11:20:54 AM »

.............and I was careful about my wording because I KNEW you'd be reading this, Jon. See? In the olden days of Beach Boys fandom, before extensive research was done on who played what, I could get away with a general statement, and nobody woulda argued that the Wrecking Crew did most of those instrumental tracks after 1963. Now? We pretty much know who played what thanks to research. And it didn't end in the 60's. Wrecking Crew members were still playing on Beach Boys records after that.

So. Instead of a "few" tracks, how about "a little more than half" (9/15") of the songs on Stack-o-Tracks were played by The Beach Boys. Howsat?

Listen. I'll bet my left nut that record buyers who bought Stack-o-Tracks back in '68 thought it was The Beach Boys themselves playing all those tracks on the album. Even the chords to the songs were provided and pictures of the group along with the picture of that BIG stack of recording tape with them standing around it made one think that The Beach Boys did it all.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 11:31:50 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 11:27:47 AM »

I have the UK vinyl and both CD releases. I do have a near mint Party album with all of the cards intact. Though, I forgets if I have the mono or duophonic. It's been many moons since I last pulled it out.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 12:05:04 PM »

Released 46 years ago today,  August 19, 1968.  Carl & Desper's baby.  Shoulda been called "The Beach Boys Meet The Wrecking Crew". Although a few of the tracks were played by The Boys themselves.
A few? Try 9 out of the 15 tracks feature the Beach Boys on the core instruments. Darlin, In My Room, Catch A Wave, Wild Honey, Little Saint Nick, Do It Again, Surfer Girl, Little Honda, You're So Good To Me all are predominantly the Beach Boys themselves on the instruments.

I thought Darlin used studio musicians . Was the version intended for Redwood a different backing track ?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 12:08:11 PM »

.............and I was careful about my wording because I KNEW you'd be reading this, Jon. See? In the olden days of Beach Boys fandom, before extensive research was done on who played what, I could get away with a general statement, and nobody woulda argued that the Wrecking Crew did most of those instrumental tracks after 1963. Now? We pretty much know who played what thanks to research. And it didn't end in the 60's. Wrecking Crew members were still playing on Beach Boys records after that.

So. Instead of a "few" tracks, how about "a little more than half" (9/15") of the songs on Stack-o-Tracks were played by The Beach Boys. Howsat?

Listen. I'll bet my left nut that record buyers who bought Stack-o-Tracks back in '68 thought it was The Beach Boys themselves playing all those tracks on the album. Even the chords to the songs were provided and pictures of the group along with the picture of that BIG stack of recording tape with them standing around it made one think that The Beach Boys did it all.

That's right, we did think they played everything and then in about '75 suddenly all the inside musicos began a transition to believing Brian hired session musicians for nearly all of the Beach Boys tracks after the first album or two. They were spurred on by David Leaf and others who heightened the myth that the Beach Boys were mainly vocalists and didn't play much on the records, and that became the general meme throughout articles and anecdotes regarding the Beach Boys. And now, armed with actual INFORMATION and FACTS we begin the long, sometimes annoying, and often dismissed work of trying to turn the general consensus back towards what actually happened, and who actually did what on the records. I think it's important that people know, even people who aren't huge Beach Boys fans, that Brian, Carl, Dennis, Al, Dave and Bruce provided the majority of the musicianship on so many Beach Boys classics. They worked hard, did a great job, and they deserve to be credited for what they did, and not written off as vocalists who didn't play much in the studio. So...I nit pick, and hope people absorb and share with those that still don't get it. It's a process.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 12:11:39 PM »

Released 46 years ago today,  August 19, 1968.  Carl & Desper's baby.  Shoulda been called "The Beach Boys Meet The Wrecking Crew". Although a few of the tracks were played by The Boys themselves.

I thought Darlin used studio musicians . Was the version intended for Redwood a different backing track ?
Well it definitely uses some studio musicians...brass...maybe bass...but the session contracts, which I've seen, definitely credit the Wilsons, and maybe Bruce and Al as musicians on the track. Last time I spoke to C-man on this one he wasn't really sure...but perhaps he can enlighten us now.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 12:12:01 PM »

That's right, we did think they played everything and then in about '75 suddenly all the inside musicos began a transition to believing Brian hired session musicians for nearly all of the Beach Boys tracks after the first album or two. They were spurred on by David Leaf and others who heightened the myth that the Beach Boys were mainly vocalists and didn't play much on the records, and that became the general meme throughout articles and anecdotes regarding the Beach Boys. And now, armed with actual INFORMATION and FACTS we begin the long, sometimes annoying, and often dismissed work of trying to turn the general consensus back towards what actually happened, and who actually did what on the records. I think it's important that people know, even people who aren't huge Beach Boys fans, that Brian, Carl, Dennis, Al, Dave and Bruce provided the majority of the musicianship on so many Beach Boys classics. They worked hard, did a great job, and they deserve to be credited for what they did, and not written off as vocalists who didn't play much in the studio. So...I nit pick, and hope people absorb and share with those that still don't get it. It's a process.
It's a chore. Tongue
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 12:33:22 PM »

I bought the LP in a Nashville shop many years ago.  Probably paid too much but was delighted to have it finally.  It has the music booklet.  The cover shows some ringwear.  the vinyl is pretty good.  The thing is, since all of the CD releases of instrumental tracks, (not to mention the CD twofer), I never listen to the vinyl, which at one time was the only source for these tracks.  Maybe I'll frame it and hang the cover with the rest of my special and signed BB albums.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 12:55:39 PM »

Well it definitely uses some studio musicians...brass...maybe bass...but the session contracts, which I've seen, definitely credit the Wilsons, and maybe Bruce and Al as musicians on the track. Last time I spoke to C-man on this one he wasn't really sure...but perhaps he can enlighten us now.

Well, hell, if that was indeed them on the track other than the horns, then it makes perfect sense that they refused to let Brian give he song away (assuming the story was true).

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 02:01:15 PM »

Which copies of Stack-o-Tracks do you have? An original American vinyl copy in stereo? An original American vinyl copy in mono? Do you have an original copy with the book? How about the  reissued UK vinyl copy from 1976? The 1990 or 2001 reissue on CD? Other?

Yes yes!  Let's see one! I REALLY REALLY want to see a MONO USA Stack-o-Tracks  LP!!

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2014, 02:21:07 PM »

Well, hell, if that was indeed them on the track other than the horns, then it makes perfect sense that they refused to let Brian give he song away (assuming the story was true).

Yeah, I thought the same thing. If it was not intended for the Beach Boys, why have them play on it?

I would love to see some scans or pictures of the music booklet. Are there any?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2014, 02:35:59 PM »

Just last week I bought a mint copy of the Japanese 1992 LP reissue.  It's a thing of beauty.  Contains the same mixes as the 1990 cd I believe. Cheesy. This completes my collection of having every Beach Boys album on vinyl (sometimes several times over) with one exception!

I also have the 1990 twofer, the Japanese 1998 cd and a UK vinyl with alternate cover.  In 1992 at the Stomp convention someone was selling the booklets (I would imagine they were copies) and I bought one, which was good because the 1990 cd didn't have one.  The notations are pretty accurate, better than a lot of the books.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 04:03:25 PM by mikeddonn » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2014, 02:52:20 PM »

Just last week I bought a mint copy of the Japanese 1992 LP reissue.  It's a thing of beauty.  Contains the same mixes as the 1990 cd I believe. Cheesy

The Japanese vinyl reissue of Stack-o-Tracks came out in '92; the Japanese CD reissue came out in 1998. Good ones!

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2014, 03:02:15 PM »

In the late 70's I was in Castro Valley, Ca. and stopped by a used record shop. After looking through the records there, I found something I didn't have and was standing near the front counter ready to pay for it. Suddenly, an African American gentleman came through the front door with records and stacked them on the counter. Then he went out to his car and brought in another stack and put them on the counter. At first, I thought they were mostly going to be R&B and Motown and maybe some Rock & Roll stuff. While the owner of the store was distracted with another paying customer, I asked the man if it was OK to look at his records. He said, "Sure!". About half way down one of the tall stacks, I found an original "Stack-O-Tracks". It was about M-/VG++ but didn't have the booklet. I already have one with the book, but I asked the guy how much he wanted for the record and he said, "Ah, make me an offer". I said, "How about $5.00?", thinking that he didn't know what he had. Sure enough, he didn't know what he had and he took my $5.00!!! After I paid him and the store owner what I owed him, the owner said to me, "Why did you do that?" I innocently replied, "What?" "As soon as a customer comes into my store with records for sale, they're in my jurisdiction and I get first choice" (or something like that). "Please don't come into my store again". I said, "OK". and walked away a very happy man!  I believe the store owner knew the value of this one and it would have ended up for sale on the wall behind the counter with big dollar signs on it, along with his other rare records.

branaa09
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2014, 03:03:21 PM »

This album along with the great 1990-2001 bonus tracks, had a huge impact on my love for the Beach Boys. After I heard Stack-O-Tracks I wanted all kinds of Backing Tracks to analyze and study. I searched for bootleg sessions, made my own Backing Track cds. I even mix my own backing tracks from other artist songs to listen to using Rock Band and Guitar Hero sound files.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2014, 03:20:52 PM »

I've got in order of purchase:
Japanese '98 CD - love that they reproduced the chord sheet and didn't quibble about the size of the cd booklet unlike the;
'01 Twofer - bonus tracks!
UK 76 Vinyl - not a bad pressing imo

Enjoyable stuff, although I find the verses of Darlin' drag a bit and really need the energy of the vox.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 12:46:11 AM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2014, 03:54:33 PM »

Stack-o-Tracks proves that many of Brian's instrumental productions can stand on their own, sans vocals.

Amongst my collection, my favourite issue is DKAO 8-2893 with booklet, featuring alternate photos of Carl and Bruce.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2014, 06:45:07 PM »

Jon hits upon what's become a sore spot for me. You'd be surprised to learn just how many "rock historians" are now under the impression that The Beach Boys never played a note in the studio. I've watched this business go from the Wrecking Crew not getting any credit, to finally getting credit, to now getting credit for tracks they never even played on!!! It's maddening. It doesn't help when guys like Davy Jones (RIP and I love the guy and all) are complicit in spreading this lie to bolster their own reputation.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2014, 07:43:27 PM »

Stack-o-Tracks proves that many of Brian's instrumental productions can stand on their own, sans vocals.

Amongst my collection, my favourite issue is DKAO 8-2893 with booklet, featuring alternate photos of Carl and Bruce.

The Capitol Club version( DKAO 8-2893 )  is indeed a neat one to have!!  

My collection for the LP:  
USA   DKAO-2893  w/ booklet  
USA  Capitol Club   DKAO-8-2893  w/ booklet  ( The Cover has DKAO 8-2893; the labels have DKA0-82893 )  
ALL the booklets for both the stock and the Capitol Club have the Catalog number on the back of the booklet as SKAO-2893

USA 4 Track Cartridge   4CL-2893  

USA  Front, back and inside Cover slicks( the Catalog number folds over to the front from the inside slick) with extra large  booklet slicks  

USA   Front Cover Color Separations  

To the best of my knowledge there were never any USA original releases on  8 Track,  Reel to Reel, or Cassette.
  There is a later Capitol Cassette release:  C4 7243 8 29641 4 8   The insert folds open to show some of the photos and the fingering charts for the chords, but not the music.

UK issue  E-ST 24009   No booklet was included
  This was also issued on Cassette  TC-E-ST 24009  

There is a Canadian Issue w/ booklet, but I don't own it.  (Not certain if it's a US or Canadian printed booklet)

Does anyone know of any other issues on Vinyl/tape other than the Japanese LP? ( Japanese LP numbered TOJP-7241 )  

Just last week I bought a mint copy of the Japanese 1992 LP reissue.  It's a thing of beauty.  Contains the same mixes as the 1990 cd I believe. Cheesy. This completes my collection of having every Beach Boys album on vinyl (sometimes several times over) with one exception!

I presume the one exception is SIP on vinyl?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2014, 09:05:23 PM »

Released 46 years ago today,  August 19, 1968.  Carl & Desper's baby.  Shoulda been called "The Beach Boys Meet The Wrecking Crew". Although a few of the tracks were played by The Boys themselves.

Well...I was saving it for Volume 3 of the upcoming MIC online sessionography, but since we're on the subject..."Darlin" was cut with Brian on piano, Ron Brown on bass...and Carl on drums (a real simple beat for the benefit of the other two). Subsequently, Hal Blaine was brought in to overdub the "real" drums, and a five-piece horn section was also added. That was the original version intended for Redwood. Then, The Beach Boys added sundry overdubs (ukulele, miscellaneous percussion, and what sounds like a bass concertina). That third session is where the AFM contract with the Boys' names comes from.

Original 1968 vinyl "Stereo" DKAO-2893 with all the trimmins' (bought second-hand, of course...I was in kindergarten in '68!).
Plus the 1976 UK issue, the 1990 Capitol CD twofer w/"Party!", and maybe the original Japanese issue CD (been so long that I've seen my Japanese CDs, I can't remember!) - all bought brand new at the time of issue.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 09:10:38 PM by c-man » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2014, 09:34:46 PM »

Here's my collection of Stack-O-Tracks.  Beat this, mofos.....

The Beach Boys, Stack-O-Tracks, Capitol Records #DKAO-2893 [Duophonic] (1968).[Gatefold LP with Booklet]
The Beach Boys, Stack-O-Tracks, Capitol Records #DKAO-2893 (1968).[LP with no Booklet]
The Beach Boys, Stack-O-Tracks, Capitol Records #DKAO-8-2893 [Duophonic] (1968).[Capitol Record Club Edition]
The Beach Boys, Stack-O-Tracks, Capitol Records-EMI Music [Canada] #DKAO-2893 [Duophonic] (1968).[LP]
The Beach Boys, Stack-O-Tracks, Capitol Records-EMI Music [UK] #E-ST 24009 (1976). [LP]
The Beach Boys, Beach Boys' Party!/Stack-O-Tracks, Capitol Records-[US] CDP 7 93698 2(1990) CD
The Beach Boys, Beach Boys' Party!/Stack-O-Tracks, Capitol Records-[US] 72435-31641-2-6 (2001) CD
The Beach Boys, Beach Boys' Party!/Stack-O-Tracks, Capitol Records-EMI-Toshiba [Japan] #TOCP-6514 (1990).[2-in-1 CD Reissue with three Bonus Tracks]
The Beach Boys, Beach Boys’ Party!/Stack-O-Tracks, Capitol Records-EMI [UK] #CDP 7 93698 2 (1990).[2-in-1 CD Reissue with three Bonus Tracks]
The Beach Boys, Beach Boys’ Party!/Stack-O-Tracks, Capitol Records #C2 93698 (1990).[2-in-1 CD Reissue with three Bonus Tracks]
The Beach Boys, Stack-O-Tracks, Capitol Records-EMI-Toshiba [Japan] #TOJP-7241 (1992).[Audiophile LP Reissue with Booklet]
The Beach Boys, Stack-O-Tracks, Capitol Records #C1-29641 (1994).[LP Reissue]
The Beach Boys, Stack-O-Tracks, Capitol Records-EMI-Toshiba [Japan] #TOCP-3326 (1997).[CD Reissue with Lyric sheet & Booklet]
The Beach Boys, Stack-O-Tracks, EMI Music [Japan] #TOCP-50863 (1998, 2008).[Mini LP-style CD Reissue with Lyric sheet & Booklet]
The Beach Boys, Stack-O-Tracks, Capitol Records-EMI-Toshiba [Japan] #TOCP-50863 (1998).[DJ/Promo Mini LP-style CD Reissue with Lyric sheet & Booklet]
The Beach Boys, Beach Boys’ Party!/Stack-O-Tracks, Capitol Records-EMI [UK & U.S.] #72435-31641-2/6 (2001).[2-in-1 HDCD Reissue with 3 Boner Tracks]
The Beach Boys, Stack-O-Tracks, Capitol Records-EMI-Toshiba [Japan] (2001).[Remastered CD Reissue]

« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 07:22:33 AM by Mikie » Logged

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2014, 10:22:17 PM »

Well...I was saving it for Volume 3 of the upcoming MIC online sessionography, but since we're on the subject..."Darlin" was cut with Brian on piano, Ron Brown on bass...and Carl on drums (a real simple beat for the benefit of the other two). Subsequently, Hal Blaine was brought in to overdub the "real" drums, and a five-piece horn section was also added. That was the original version intended for Redwood. Then, The Beach Boys added sundry overdubs (ukulele, miscellaneous percussion, and what sounds like a bass concertina). That third session is where the AFM contract with the Boys' names comes from.

Cool info Craig...Thanks!!
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2014, 11:04:36 PM »

Such an injustice
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx