gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:32:44 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Jeff Beck interview. Discuss.  (Read 48394 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: August 18, 2014, 08:32:44 AM »

Not on topic but let me digress for a minute:

The Chili Peppers are an enigma, and also one of the more misunderstood bands of the past 20-30 years, a lot of it their own fault. IMO...in large part due to John Frusciante, they got into the art of crafting and creating songs in the studio, the whole art of using and shaping sounds and musical techniques to create studio art, also getting into the art of songwriting and arranging in those songs. It wasn't the funk and slap-happy Peppers of the 80's. They lost some early fans, but they developed what I think was a terrific sound with solid songwriting...then Frusciante left again.

The photo of them with Al is Frusciante's replacement Josh Klinghofer. He and Frusciante were close friends and had collaborated on a number of solo projects together, so Josh was a natural choice.

But it's damn near impossible to replace someone who brought as much to the musical table as a John Frusciante. I haven't listened to them as much if at all after John left.

Compare it to the Beach Boys in 1966 if Brian Wilson had simply quit and left. You have the elements of the band still there, they can do the live shows, but that one major piece of the band especially in songwriting and studio production (and vibe) is out of the process. It's just not the same, IMO.

John Frusciante is one of the most unique, talented, knowledgeable, and challenging musicians of the past 20 years. Anyone who wants to investigate more, look him up on YouTube and online and you'll either buy into it full-force as I did or simply say it's not for me. But it's worth checking out.

And Frusciante is a fan of Brian Wilson, of Smile, and you can hear it on specific Chili Peppers tracks through his vocal stacks and other neat touches.

Great story I've told at least half a dozen times but will paraphrase here again.

John Frusciante and I believe it was Josh Klinghofer had booked studio time in the early 2000's, I believe it was Cello (formerly Western), and they heard Brian Wilson would be coming in that day to work. It turned out Brian had the room next to them. John and Josh stopped what they were doing and tried to find a spot where they could listen in on what Brian was doing, and were amazed they were listening in to Brian Wilson working in that studio of all places. Hearing the story I almost wish they had made some kind of approach or introduction to see if they could actually sit in the control room or something, but that would have been unprofessional...but still the sight of these two acting like pure fans trying to lean into the wall to hear Brian's music is a pretty cool image, I'd do exactly the same thing!  Smiley

I've been pushing for a John Frusciante - Brian Wilson meeting/collaboration for years. If he were still in the Peppers, I'd say go for it. How many musicians greet an interviewer at his place with a Smile bootleg playing in the background as John did?  Grin

Sorry for the off-topic...

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 18, 2014, 08:40:27 AM »

It's funny - I could never get into the Peppers, but I'm a fan of solo Frusciante. I'm not too familiar with the extent of the Peppers catalogue's artistry, but maybe it's a case similar to Dennis' solo efforts compared to the BBs sound? I could be wrong, though.. like I said, the Peppers never really interested me.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: August 18, 2014, 09:31:21 AM »

It's funny - I could never get into the Peppers, but I'm a fan of solo Frusciante. I'm not too familiar with the extent of the Peppers catalogue's artistry, but maybe it's a case similar to Dennis' solo efforts compared to the BBs sound? I could be wrong, though.. like I said, the Peppers never really interested me.

It's tough to draw a parallel because John's influences are literally all over the map, and vary depending on what he's working on at the moment. But with the Peppers, check out the album By The Way. This was done when John seemed to be in his Beach Boys/Brian Wilson influence phase, and a lot of attention was given to vocals and vocal arrangements and harmonies that had not been as prominently featured on earlier Peppers albums.

The backstory on these kinds of things can reel you in...In this case, By The Way was John's 2nd album after returning to the band with Californication. You still hear a wide range of influences familiar to the band, but the vocal harmonies and songwriting really sound like John was the driving force on a lot of this record.

They recorded the tracks at Western, then called Cello...does that trigger anything with BB/BW fans?  Grin  No accident.

Then, John Frusciante, Rick Rubin, and Anthony Keidis took the tracks to where John was staying at the Chateau Marmont. John had ideas on how to arrange and stack the vocal harmonies, and he and Rubin began overdubbing John's voice much like BW would have done in the 60's. Then if one report is correct, John and Rubin drove Keidis pretty hard to get his vocals just right, getting them on pitch and with more of a melodic rather than rhythmic delivery and everything, and also had all but coached him on how to add harmonies to the stack, although most of the vocal backgrounds are still John's overdubs.

And the full album is not everyone's taste, but you hear where John was in his Beach Boys phase at this time on a track like "Tear", which I'm posting a link here to check out.

The point being...John brought these production, writing, and arranging ideas into this band, and if you play any of their albums from the 80's, and play their most recent album you'll hear some of what he brought into the band's sound, not just as a guitarist. And you hear what is missing when he's not there.

Tear, from the album By The Way (stay tuned to the chorus for the BB's reference) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW0JjfqR1-s

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 18, 2014, 09:35:59 AM »

It's tough to draw a parallel because John's influences are literally all over the map, and vary depending on what he's working on at the moment. But with the Peppers, check out the album By The Way. This was done when John seemed to be in his Beach Boys/Brian Wilson influence phase, and a lot of attention was given to vocals and vocal arrangements and harmonies that had not been as prominently featured on earlier Peppers albums.

The backstory on these kinds of things can reel you in...In this case, By The Way was John's 2nd album after returning to the band with Californication. You still hear a wide range of influences familiar to the band, but the vocal harmonies and songwriting really sound like John was the driving force on a lot of this record.

They recorded the tracks at Western, then called Cello...does that trigger anything with BB/BW fans?  Grin  No accident.

Then, John Frusciante, Rick Rubin, and Anthony Keidis took the tracks to where John was staying at the Chateau Marmont. John had ideas on how to arrange and stack the vocal harmonies, and he and Rubin began overdubbing John's voice much like BW would have done in the 60's. Then if one report is correct, John and Rubin drove Keidis pretty hard to get his vocals just right, getting them on pitch and with more of a melodic rather than rhythmic delivery and everything, and also had all but coached him on how to add harmonies to the stack, although most of the vocal backgrounds are still John's overdubs.

And the full album is not everyone's taste, but you hear where John was in his Beach Boys phase at this time on a track like "Tear", which I'm posting a link here to check out.

The point being...John brought these production, writing, and arranging ideas into this band, and if you play any of their albums from the 80's, and play their most recent album you'll hear some of what he brought into the band's sound, not just as a guitarist. And you hear what is missing when he's not there.

Tear, from the album By The Way (stay tuned to the chorus for the BB's reference) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW0JjfqR1-s

Woah, we have a true Peppers fanboy on our hands. Grin Thanks for all that. Gonna check out By The Way soon!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 18, 2014, 09:50:25 AM »

I hate the Chillies after their first 3 records.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 18, 2014, 01:16:43 PM »

My brother is/was a huge RHCP/Frusciante fan and through him i heard albums like Niandra Lades and Usually Just a T-Shirt. I saw a Dutch documentary once on VHS with Frusciante in a sad room and his teeth rotting out. My brother went off him a bit when he released 12 albums in 12 months and most of them were keyboardy/electronic kind of things, which would have been okay except they weren't very good.

Personally, I don't like either RHCP or Frusciante's stuff, but it's an interesting story at least.

Oh, I do like Flea, and his work with Damon Albarn and Thom Yorke.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 18, 2014, 01:53:08 PM »

I think this Beck thing is just a case of what happens when you stick two guys together that are very, very different, and I’m not even talking particularly musically.

Beck is temperamental. He doesn’t seem to go in for showbiz niceties and all of that. He’s a private guy as well, which probably made the meet-and-greet VIP thing from the tour a particular annoyance for him. A friend of mine is a *huge* Beck fan, and also coincidentally share’s Beck’s interest in old cars. Back in the 80’s or 90’s, he spotted Beck at a local car show, and since he already had his camera with him, he started snapping some pics of Beck. From afar. Not obtrusively particularly, and never said a word to him or got any closer than probably 30 feet. Snapped a few photos. Beck gave him a look (hilariously captured in photograph from) like he wanted to kill him. Now, there’s a debate to be had about whether even this was obtrusive and whatnot. But the takeaway from this and other events (he has seen Beck at several car shows, and Beck clearly wants to be left alone) is that he’s a cranky, private guy. He’s also blunt.

This does not bode well for great interpersonal interactions with Brian Wilson. To everybody’s credit, it sounds like they *didn’t* treat the situation with extra kid gloves and brief everyone on how to act and what to say and have a bunch of go-betweens and handlers. It looks like they just stuck Beck in there. The result was some awkwardness. I also think, much like Mike Love’s post-C50 comments about the “TWGMTR” album, the story of how disagreeable the situation was changed some time after it occurred. Months and even years later, the story changes from polite positive comments to “oh my God, it was so weird and awful.”

As for Beck’s career, I think he has had his built-in fanbase for years. It was pretty darn 50/50 in terms of fanbase at the show I went to in Oakland last year. Beck’s guitar playing is amazing and unique. Most of his material is rather tedious, especially the way he presents it in concert. If you’re not into serious guitar wankery, the show is pretty much background music. I didn’t feel worse off for having seen his show. I also am still guessing that some of the stuff he cut with Brian in the studio could sound amazing. It sucks that it may well be Beck’s own bad attitude that is the main factor in the material largely not being heard.

The most frustrating part of Beck’s comments to me are not his negative bits about Brian, but his passive stance on having done the tour with Brian. He acts like someone made him do the tour. He may well be right that it would have been a better idea to finish recording before touring. But he signed on for the tour. He agreed to the VIP packages. He agreed to whatever dictated he had be at the gig by a certain time to shake hands and take pictures. If he thought it was such a bad idea, he could have passed.

Can the tour scenario, M&Gs etc be blamed on Jean Seivers? Her name was put forward for a lot of negative views during the C50. She's almost worth a thread! LOL
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 18, 2014, 03:20:48 PM »

I think some people need a little perspective here.  The reason Brian hasn't said anything negative about Beck is maybe because he hasn't given an interview since the tour ended.  Or, he hasn't been asked or couldn't remember or...

Brian is Brian, Jeff has been asked questions about the tour situation and has made some valid points, but yes should have been a bit more diplomatic about Brian's state of mind.  The story in the deli is also something that is pure Brian. Cheesy

My perspective is crystal clear, technicolor, and straightforward, through two posts and two posts only in this thread (not including this one  Cheesy ).  Can't speak for others.  Wink

Are the points valid? Or is there more to it?

Beck also has all but blamed having to do "meet and greet" events on this BW-Beck tour which deprived him of his afternoon naps with contributing to whatever it was that had him in the hospital a few months ago.

Valid as well?  Smiley

The point I was making about perspective is that Beck's comments are not really a big deal in the grand scheme of things.  Most of the public who read the comments will have heard it all before in various magazines etc through the years.  This doesn't make it right but when Brian's family and friends have said worse over the years why should Beck cop so much flak?  In the latest interview he seems quite jovial about the whole thing (Eric Clapton also told a similar story to the Deli one about how Brian pretty much snubbed him (not intentionally) but as if they had never met.  Brian just isn't comfortable in those situations (hiding when McCartney visited him in the 70s).

As for the reason Brian wanted to tour with Beck being He liked "Surf's Up" from a tribute concert 12 years ago I doubt it.  More like management wanted some publicity and felt he could do an album with a 'cool' peer so they could cash in.  It was probably 'put' to Brian it would be a good idea.  The need to tour quickly was probably also to make some bucks when the iron was still hot.  I think the whole meet and greet thing sums a lot of that up.  And Beck, rightly IMHO, wasn't too comfortable with it.

You can doubt what you want, you can remove any notion that Brian and Beck mutually wanted to play music together out of their own free will and attribute to another case of 'Brian's people' (whoever they are) nudging him into something they wanted him to do, and also bring up a meeting with McCartney from 4 decades ago, and then suggest whatever motives you're assuming to be the backbone of this are actually the truth.

But that doesn't mean it's so.  Wink

The seeds were originally planted when Brian heard Beck play Surf's Up...period, end of story. Believe it or not.

Do you have any information on how Brian's meetings with McCartney went in the last...oh...decade or so have gone? I know Paul and Brian have met at various shows, in fact there was the one where McCartney sang God Only Knows on stage with him and described it in an interview as a musical highlight for him.  I'd like to hear more about any of those meetings if something that happened in the 70's is going to be brought up in this topic. Any info to share?

The meet-and-greet thing regarding Beck's missed afternoon naps...take it for what it's worth. I wonder if he's getting enough nap time these days on the ZZ Top tour.

You seem to know when the seeds were planted for sure.  Are you an insider?  Your tone is a bit overly defensive considering I only expressed an opinion, which was that Brian is not comfortable in a lot of of situations with other celebs, not just in the 70s of course. I don't know what was said when he met McCartney in the last decade, I'm sure they had a lovely time.  As for the meet and greets I don't really care if Beck missed his afternoon naps.  The point was that fans (like on during C50) are paying a lot of money to attend, and it has made some people a little uncomfortable with the whole process.

I agree with you about John Frusciante though.  Wish he was back in the RHCP. Smiley
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 18, 2014, 04:21:39 PM »

Brian probably didn't know who Jeff was, had no liking of his music and just didn't care for him. Brian's not really a guitar guy  Grin

The more you think of it the shots Jeff has made in the press seem more and more like the comments of a guy who feels disrespected and not appreciated. Maybe he's really disappointed the album never happened.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 18, 2014, 11:43:02 PM »

I agree. People get so upset about something that doesn't really matter. Why does anyone care what this guy says? It's not like it really matters.

It would really suck to be famous (like Jeff Beck) and give up your god given, American right to say stupid sh*t about somebody for no good reason at all Smiley

When somebody's famous, we record about half of what they say, which affords us the ability to catch them saying stupid sh*t several times a day.  Then we pick one or two of those out as evidence for why we never liked that asshole in the first place!

To us normal, average people nobody cares or pays attention to anything we say or do... which allows us to go around saying and doing stupid sh*t and nobody hates us for it. 
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 19, 2014, 12:30:57 AM »

It would really suck to be famous (like Jeff Beck) and give up your god given, American right to say stupid sh*t about somebody for no good reason at all Smiley

Jeff Beck has American rights? Might be news to him.

Since he's British.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: August 19, 2014, 12:55:41 AM »

I think some people need a little perspective here.  The reason Brian hasn't said anything negative about Beck is maybe because he hasn't given an interview since the tour ended.  Or, he hasn't been asked or couldn't remember or...

Brian is Brian, Jeff has been asked questions about the tour situation and has made some valid points, but yes should have been a bit more diplomatic about Brian's state of mind.  The story in the deli is also something that is pure Brian. Cheesy

My perspective is crystal clear, technicolor, and straightforward, through two posts and two posts only in this thread (not including this one  Cheesy ).  Can't speak for others.  Wink

Are the points valid? Or is there more to it?

Beck also has all but blamed having to do "meet and greet" events on this BW-Beck tour which deprived him of his afternoon naps with contributing to whatever it was that had him in the hospital a few months ago.

Valid as well?  Smiley

The point I was making about perspective is that Beck's comments are not really a big deal in the grand scheme of things.  Most of the public who read the comments will have heard it all before in various magazines etc through the years.  This doesn't make it right but when Brian's family and friends have said worse over the years why should Beck cop so much flak?  In the latest interview he seems quite jovial about the whole thing (Eric Clapton also told a similar story to the Deli one about how Brian pretty much snubbed him (not intentionally) but as if they had never met.  Brian just isn't comfortable in those situations (hiding when McCartney visited him in the 70s).

As for the reason Brian wanted to tour with Beck being He liked "Surf's Up" from a tribute concert 12 years ago I doubt it.  More like management wanted some publicity and felt he could do an album with a 'cool' peer so they could cash in.  It was probably 'put' to Brian it would be a good idea.  The need to tour quickly was probably also to make some bucks when the iron was still hot.  I think the whole meet and greet thing sums a lot of that up.  And Beck, rightly IMHO, wasn't too comfortable with it.

You can doubt what you want, you can remove any notion that Brian and Beck mutually wanted to play music together out of their own free will and attribute to another case of 'Brian's people' (whoever they are) nudging him into something they wanted him to do, and also bring up a meeting with McCartney from 4 decades ago, and then suggest whatever motives you're assuming to be the backbone of this are actually the truth.

But that doesn't mean it's so.  Wink

The seeds were originally planted when Brian heard Beck play Surf's Up...period, end of story. Believe it or not.

Do you have any information on how Brian's meetings with McCartney went in the last...oh...decade or so have gone? I know Paul and Brian have met at various shows, in fact there was the one where McCartney sang God Only Knows on stage with him and described it in an interview as a musical highlight for him.  I'd like to hear more about any of those meetings if something that happened in the 70's is going to be brought up in this topic. Any info to share?

The meet-and-greet thing regarding Beck's missed afternoon naps...take it for what it's worth. I wonder if he's getting enough nap time these days on the ZZ Top tour.

You seem to know when the seeds were planted for sure.  Are you an insider?  Your tone is a bit overly defensive considering I only expressed an opinion, which was that Brian is not comfortable in a lot of of situations with other celebs, not just in the 70s of course. I don't know what was said when he met McCartney in the last decade, I'm sure they had a lovely time.  As for the meet and greets I don't really care if Beck missed his afternoon naps.  The point was that fans (like on during C50) are paying a lot of money to attend, and it has made some people a little uncomfortable with the whole process.

I agree with you about John Frusciante though.  Wish he was back in the RHCP. Smiley

I may come off as a bit defensive because it's a pattern similar to the BW movie discussions, the BW album discussions, and almost every time in the past year or so something comes out in the news about BW. At this point I've had my fill of various attempts to rewrite or reshape history to possibly suit an agenda. There is an agenda at work, what exactly it is...who knows. I'm curious to see what the end game may be if there is one, or if it's just a small group of fans who seem to have something negative to say against BW in general spouting off whenever news breaks. But I've had my fill of various attempts to paint certain events or even truths as something other than what they are, and maybe if someone here could shed some light on the reasons why almost every announcement or news blurb or report or leaked photo or video of recent BW projects has come under such scrutiny as to be ridiculous.

The issue of Surf's Up/Jeff Beck/Brian/Seeds Planted...that's one example of something that is the truth, that I tried to describe as the truth, but got challenged doing so. Reasons why...I don't understand. But: Would you take Brian Wilson's own words over mine? Because here they are from before the tour kicked off:

“When I watched Jeff Beck perform ‘Surf’s Up’ to honor me at the MusiCares Person of the Year event in 2005, I knew I had to find a way to work with him.  He absolutely blew my mind and we’ve been friends ever since.  Jeff’s incredible guitar playing is exactly what I want for my new album and I’m also looking forward to performing live with him soon.”

That's what I meant. Simple as that, this time in the man's own words. Let the impugning and dissecting and critical analysis of those words begin.

I will say it seems a shame that Brian considered Jeff Beck a friend, then has to read the type of stuff Beck has been saying in various recent interviews about him. That is genuinely a shame, in my opinion. Why is Beck doing this? Is it even accurate? Maybe Brian will someday address those points if it seems necessary, who knows. At this point it's Beck spouting off publicly on someone who considered him a friend at one time. That is not cool.

One doesn't need to be an insider as much as simply keeping one's ears and eyes open, and listening and reading as this stuff enters the dialogue.  Wink That's what I'm good at, I'm an excellent reader, a great listener, and a writer whose opinion of my writing usually tends to exceed the actual quality of the writing itself... Grin

Bringing up what Brian did around McCartney in the 70's was a low blow, it wasn't necessary, and again whatever the motivation may have been to bring that up, it felt like grasping at straws in order to back up something hinted at by Jeff Beck. As Paul and Brian have both interacted at each others' concerts and performed together on stage in the past decade or so, and both are nothing less than huge fans and admirers of each other, not to mention having what seems to be a pretty close personal bond from afar through that admiration, whatever happened in the 70's between them is irrelevant.

Problem is, do we take everything Beck says at face value, as the be-all and end-all version of events as he describes them? Maybe some do, perhaps there may be more to it. That's all I'm speculating.

And I'm a fan of Frusciante, for sure.  Smiley

mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 19, 2014, 02:33:18 PM »

When I mentioned Brian's encounter with Paul it was not intended as a low blow.  You seem to have missed the point I was making which was, Brian is not particularly comfortable being around musical peers.  How do I know this?  We've all read or heard stories about his encounters with people over the years.  No low blows, no agendas, I am a big Brian fan and categorically state that I do not have anything other than affection for him.  I have met him a few times and he has been very gracious and humble.  I don't like people going around criticising him.  He has overcome so many obstacles in his life to give us all great joy, and is still doing so today.  I am looking forward, as always, to his new album coming out.  I even bought a ticket to see Kacey Musgraves, despite never having hear her sing.  If she's good enough for Brian then that was all the recommendation I needed.  Hopefully this clarifies my opinion of Brian for you.

I also noted your comments in the movie discussion thread and felt you were arguing against other posters for the sake of it.  There is no 'agenda'.  People were only expressing reservations about the accuracy of the props and hoping it wouldn't be a reflection of the film as a whole. 

So again I'll just say, sod what Beck thinks about Brian.  We love the guy, will go to his gigs and buy the music because we love him and it's what we do.  It's not worth getting worked up about.Smiley
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 19, 2014, 03:11:38 PM »

I may come off as a bit defensive because it's a pattern similar to the BW movie discussions, the BW album discussions, and almost every time in the past year or so something comes out in the news about BW. At this point I've had my fill of various attempts to rewrite or reshape history to possibly suit an agenda. There is an agenda at work, what exactly it is...who knows. I'm curious to see what the end game may be if there is one, or if it's just a small group of fans who seem to have something negative to say against BW in general spouting off whenever news breaks. But I've had my fill of various attempts to paint certain events or even truths as something other than what they are, and maybe if someone here could shed some light on the reasons why almost every announcement or news blurb or report or leaked photo or video of recent BW projects has come under such scrutiny as to be ridiculous.

I actually don't see that happening at all. What I see is nearly every piece of information about anybody in the group being scrutinized and ridiculed on this board to the point of it getting out of hand, people leaving in a huff, etc. Every posting about Mike degenerates into a shred-a-thon and 10 pages of  arguments. Any criticism of Brian is seen as heresy. This same scenario is played out on message boards devoted to other bands as well, like on KissFAQ where fans are accusing other fans of being a part of a secret cabal to destroy Ace Frehley.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 19, 2014, 03:18:36 PM »

Guitarfool, have you considered the possibility of stop reading the board immediately after the release of the movie and Brian's next album? You know, some folks may not dig them, this might prevent you from having a stroke or two.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 19, 2014, 03:48:38 PM »

Any criticism of Brian is seen as heresy.

(Barely stifled laughter.)

This board took a decidedly Mike-boosting, Brian-bashing stance immediately before and after the C50 shows. Within the last couple of months, a few of us board members have begun battling back, asking those who claim (with no evidence whatsoever) that Brian is controlled by shadowy "people" to substantiate their claims. And to say that perhaps we should wait to hear the upcoming solo album before slamming it.

That's what this is about. We're not saying anything as overheated as you suggest. We're just asking for as much benefit of the doubt for Brian and his work and his creative choices as has become standard for Mike. Apparently that's too much for some to handle.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 19, 2014, 04:02:54 PM »

At this point I've had my fill of various attempts to rewrite or reshape history to possibly suit an agenda. There is an agenda at work, what exactly it is...who knows. I'm curious to see what the end game may be if there is one, or if it's just a small group of fans who seem to have something negative to say against BW in general spouting off whenever news breaks. But I've had my fill of various attempts to paint certain events or even truths as something other than what they are, and maybe if someone here could shed some light on the reasons why almost every announcement or news blurb or report or leaked photo or video of recent BW projects has come under such scrutiny as to be ridiculous.

I have speculated in the past that BRI might either be compensating some posters or doing posting on its own to boost Mike's legitimacy as a touring act. Pure speculation, of course, but it definitely would have harmed Mike if his post C50-touring activities had actually caused confusion among fans, and there was ample evidence that it did. At about the same time that such reports started appearing on this board, there was a notable uptick in pro-Mike, "it was always planned this way," "Only idiots would expect the full band to continue" kinds of posts.

It makes you wonder, right? Because if Al or Brian's managers / wives had dropped by and seen evidence of confusion, they might have some ground to contest that exclusive touring license. But as it was, those early posts about post-C50 M&B shows were buried under an avalanche of similarly-worded pushback. And then, a bunch of posts made sure to note how happy everyone way to be paid their shares of Mike's revenue.

I'm not a conspiracy minded guy, really, and I think this line of thinking can rapidly turn really weird. But it is curious. And we know that the history of this group has many strange diversions.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 19, 2014, 04:25:59 PM »

Wirestone, you know I respect and love you as a poster, but that's a little too far? Why would M&B's organisation care, so long as they can get the soccer moms in Pisshole, Alaska to come out,  sing Barbara Ann and *cough*unleash the love*cough*?

We are a minority to M&B. Not to a lot of people in the BB's organisation (thanks for putting Our Sweet Love with Vox and Strings on MIC btw, I have been posting about that sh*t since 2011) but a minority to M&B. It's a shame, but the sudden influx of M&B love is just because people don't know sh*t and can't respect genius over hard work.
Let's blame Ayn Rand. BW doesn't work hard enough to be respected nowadays. Mike plays 370 shows a year for the milfs in the front row, and as we both know, thats what the beach boys are all about. [/sarcasm]

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 19, 2014, 04:58:39 PM »

I have speculated in the past that BRI might either be compensating some posters or doing posting on its own to boost Mike's legitimacy as a touring act. Pure speculation, of course, but it definitely would have harmed Mike if his post C50-touring activities had actually caused confusion among fans,

That's the definition of "overheated". When the C50 tour was announced it was only natural that the Mike-bashers would start whistling a different tune once he was back working with Brian. What were they supposed to say when Brian was praising Mike in interviews? "No, man, you're an idiot! Mike's a jerk". Even some of the the most ardent Mike-bashers happily and quite willfully played along hoping the boys were back for good and, more importantly, WANTING to believe that the future was bright. When the tour ended this board went right back to the whole Brian-vs-Mike debate like it usually does.

To use a Kiss analogy again: The posters on KissFAQ were feuding with each other and engaging in paranoid fantasies leading up to the band's rock-n-roll HOF induction. When the original four stepped onstage all smiles and back-slapping, even the most vicious Gene-haters were calling him "classy" and talking about how the "magic was back" etc. Once it was over they went right back to what they always do.    

I mean, come on...The fact that Brian's new album is coming with guest vocalists from a younger generation that most older posters had never heard of before was bound to cause moans and groans.....It would've been bizarre if it didn't.

I don't know why this is so baffling to people. For example, I just heard that Paul McCartney is collaborating with Kanye West. I couldn't tell you one thing about Kanye West, don't know his music, don't want to listen to it and don't care. Guess how I took that news? Part of me is thinking "Oh crap, I don't want to hear some guy rapping all over a Paul McCartney album" and the other part of me is saying "Now calm down, Paul's had a pretty good track record lately. He'll make it work". Having those thoughts is not some kind of egregious attack on McCartney. It's a quite normal response.

If I was on a Beatles message board I'm sure I'd see people writing those exact same sentiments and arguing back and forth. To suggest otherwise about this or any other fan message board is just giving in to paranoid fantasies.

GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 19, 2014, 05:11:26 PM »

And for the record, I like ALL of the Beach Boys. I don't have contempt for any of them. I know that there are Beach Boys fans who hate Mike, or resent Brian, or maybe they hate David Marks or whatever. To me, that is just so damn weird.

I think I'd only start to seriously dislike a Beach Boy if he couldn't carry a tune in a bucket.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 19, 2014, 06:03:20 PM »

I have speculated in the past that BRI might either be compensating some posters or doing posting on its own to boost Mike's legitimacy as a touring act. Pure speculation, of course, but it definitely would have harmed Mike if his post C50-touring activities had actually caused confusion among fans,

That's the definition of "overheated". When the C50 tour was announced it was only natural that the Mike-bashers would start whistling a different tune once he was back working with Brian. What were they supposed to say when Brian was praising Mike in interviews? "No, man, you're an idiot! Mike's a jerk". Even some of the the most ardent Mike-bashers happily and quite willfully played along hoping the boys were back for good and, more importantly, WANTING to believe that the future was bright. When the tour ended this board went right back to the whole Brian-vs-Mike debate like it usually does.

To use a Kiss analogy again: The posters on KissFAQ were feuding with each other and engaging in paranoid fantasies leading up to the band's rock-n-roll HOF induction. When the original four stepped onstage all smiles and back-slapping, even the most vicious Gene-haters were calling him "classy" and talking about how the "magic was back" etc. Once it was over they went right back to what they always do.    

I mean, come on...The fact that Brian's new album is coming with guest vocalists from a younger generation that most older posters had never heard of before was bound to cause moans and groans.....It would've been bizarre if it didn't.

I don't know why this is so baffling to people. For example, I just heard that Paul McCartney is collaborating with Kanye West. I couldn't tell you one thing about Kanye West, don't know his music, don't want to listen to it and don't care. Guess how I took that news? Part of me is thinking "Oh crap, I don't want to hear some guy rapping all over a Paul McCartney album" and the other part of me is saying "Now calm down, Paul's had a pretty good track record lately. He'll make it work". Having those thoughts is not some kind of egregious attack on McCartney. It's a quite normal response.

If I was on a Beatles message board I'm sure I'd see people writing those exact same sentiments and arguing back and forth. To suggest otherwise about this or any other fan message board is just giving in to paranoid fantasies.

It is a problem when one of the fantasizers is a board moderator. And it's not a new thing, so he was chosen as moderator even though he feels that way (which makes the other mods suspect for selecting him). If that makes me a bad poster for saying that, oh well. I will just go back to lurking or not reading it much. No biggie.
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 19, 2014, 06:14:57 PM »

a shame, but the sudden influx of M&B love is just because people don't know sh*t and can't respect genius over hard work.
Let's blame Ayn Rand. BW doesn't work hard enough to be respected nowadays. Mike plays 370 shows a year for the milfs in the front row, and as we both know, thats what the beach boys are all about. [/sarcasm]

That's an interesting observation.  Creative people tend to need flexibility and a certain amount of down time to maintain some level of creativity. The grind of a 9 to 5 job or constant work stress can sap the inspiration right out of you. It would be easy to mis-read this need for down time as "laziness," when in fact, it's the fuel for the creative effort. I've often thought that the disdain some people show Brian for "taking a check without doing the work" is misplaced. He did his part when he worked non-stop in the studio to produce  all of those hits and  that incredible music.  Touring those hits nonstop was always the thing that caused him strain and undermined the creative effort. Lucky for Brian, the band was willing to do the leg work to take those hits to the world.  

These days, Brian's inspiration has been muted somewhat by past substances, age and mental illness; and maybe he needs an occasional push to get going sometimes. But, he's still the guy who made those hits and an album that revolutionized all of popular music. That deserves some respect. In his 70's, he could just rest on his laurels if he wanted. But, when the inspiration and collaboration is right, he can still pull together something special, like "Midnight's Another Day" and the haunting suite on TWGMTR.  Apparently, Jeff Beck wasn't that kind of collaboration, and maybe it bugs him that Brian decided that the collaboration wasn't working. At any rate, constantly putting Brian down in interviews isn't going to win him any congeniality awards, and he really should just stop.

As for Mike, he loves what he does. He's the hard working, dedicated road warrior to Brian's reclusive genius. I fully recognize his contribution to creating and keeping this music alive, even if I think he's a jerk much of the time.  And, if he wants to tour until he's 100 (or Bruce starts to look too stringy in those shorts, or his bromance with Stamos ends in divorce)  then he should tour. I just wish he had a bit more class onstage and in interviews, and it would be nice if he could take to heart the  phrase he continually repeated during the C50: The Beach Boys are more than the sum of their parts.

See, without Brian, Mike wouldn't have an audience to sing to. And, without Mike and the band,  Brian wouldn't have an audience to write for. And, if we all could accept this symbiotic relationship, we'd be on our way to world peace. Or, at least Smiley-smile peace.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 06:38:15 PM by Cyncie » Logged
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 19, 2014, 06:22:01 PM »

At this point I've had my fill of various attempts to rewrite or reshape history to possibly suit an agenda. There is an agenda at work, what exactly it is...who knows. I'm curious to see what the end game may be if there is one, or if it's just a small group of fans who seem to have something negative to say against BW in general spouting off whenever news breaks. But I've had my fill of various attempts to paint certain events or even truths as something other than what they are, and maybe if someone here could shed some light on the reasons why almost every announcement or news blurb or report or leaked photo or video of recent BW projects has come under such scrutiny as to be ridiculous.

I have speculated in the past that BRI might either be compensating some posters or doing posting on its own to boost Mike's legitimacy as a touring act. Pure speculation, of course, but it definitely would have harmed Mike if his post C50-touring activities had actually caused confusion among fans, and there was ample evidence that it did. At about the same time that such reports started appearing on this board, there was a notable uptick in pro-Mike, "it was always planned this way," "Only idiots would expect the full band to continue" kinds of posts.

It makes you wonder, right? Because if Al or Brian's managers / wives had dropped by and seen evidence of confusion, they might have some ground to contest that exclusive touring license. But as it was, those early posts about post-C50 M&B shows were buried under an avalanche of similarly-worded pushback. And then, a bunch of posts made sure to note how happy everyone way to be paid their shares of Mike's revenue.

I'm not a conspiracy minded guy, really, and I think this line of thinking can rapidly turn really weird. But it is curious. And we know that the history of this group has many strange diversions.

This is hilarious.

How many unique visitors does this board get every month? Not nearly enough to justify compensating posters.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 19, 2014, 06:34:45 PM »

I'm available for hire to post on behalf of anyone.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 19, 2014, 06:37:51 PM »

I'm available for hire to post on behalf of anyone.

My people will contact your people.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx